• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Steam GOTY picks:

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Steamworld Heist
(4 Points) - Oxenfree
(3 Points) - Firewatch
(2 Points) - Pony Island
(1 Point) - Rise of the Tomb Raider

Steamworld Heist is the game I never knew I wanted - Firefly-ish steampunk robotic XCOM on a vertical 2D plane rather than on a horizontal 2D plane. I never got sick of just barely grabbing the loot and fleeing the ship before everything went even further to hell.

EA:
(3 Points) - Poi
(2 Points) - Amazing Frog?
(1 Point) - Brawlhalla

Poi nails the 3D Platformer in a way that makes me hopeful for the genre's future again.

---

Some of the games I'd say are my personal GOTY's didn't release this year or are disqualified: Skyrim: Special Edition, Hand of Fate, Rebel Galaxy, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Bioshock: Burial At Sea.

Anno

GOTY:
(5 Points) - Dishonored 2
(4 Points) - Firewatch
(3 Points) - Stellaris
(2 Points) - Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
(1 Point) - Total War: WARHAMMER

The original Dishonored was the first game where I "got" the immersive sim genre when I played it earlier this year. Dishonored 2 takes the game systems and world building I loved and makes virtually everything better, with a special focus on providing for non-lethal options. Hampered by performance issues at launch the game is now in a pretty good state, even if it's not what a game of this caliber deserves. Nevertheless it's the most fun I had with a game in 2016 and could very well be again in 2017 if Arkane gives us the kind of DLC that graced the original.

EA:
(3 Points) - RimWorld
(2 Points) - Divinity: Original Sin 2
(1 Point) - Secrets of Grindea

Similar story to DH2: RimWorld made me understand why people love simulation/management style games. This would be my 2016 GOTY if EA games were eligible, but in a way I'm glad that it's still in a state where further development is implied. The game is already insanely deep, especially given the great modding community, but refinement of the world map introduced in A16 could turn this into the "I'll play this for the next decade" game that I really want it to be.

header.jpg

GOTY:

(5 Points) - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

To me, Mankind Divided is an extension and further development of the work that was done with 2011's Human Revolution, allowing for a single but hugely realised hub world for the player to explore in terms of the various options available for traversal and playstyle.
It's clear by now that some elements of the game's overall design were sacrificed in development, but I feel it's gotten a bad rap (relatively speaking) and has been rather cruelly ignored now. I thin this will in time enjoy a Bioshock 2-esque resurgence as people come to appreciate it more.

It's the only game I bought from the sale and I hope it lives up to HR despite its flaws

Kudo

Hard to decide my GOTYs, so many games I liked but I think I'll vote for Xanadu Next, it has perfect balance between puzzles and action.
Missed lot of games though last year, Dishonored 2 for example I'm yet to play, if it lives up to the first one it should be good.

zkylon

zkylewd
decided to go fuck it and just finish dragon's dogma before shitterback isle would keep hurting my opinion of the game. the ending was pretty cool, the story of this game is easily its weakest part but i found it to be pretty satisfying and fun (even if i two shot the final boss lol)

dragon's dogma is really amazing, i really hope they make a proper sequel one day

Speevy

Banned
Poi has great controls but the game doesn't run as well as it needs to and it's too easy.

It feels great though, which is 90% of the battle.

Poi has great controls but the game doesn't run as well as it needs to and it's too easy.

It feels great though, which is 90% of the battle.

Ran fine for me superampled at 4K. Also not too easy for me either.

I figure Poi will release well if they polish it further, but the sequel will be the one to watch.

JCG

It's the only game I bought from the sale and I hope it lives up to HR despite its flaws

Biggest flaw is that the way it ends still feels incomplete, enough to tease a sequel, whereas most folks would typically prefer a full, self-contained story. Can't say I disagree with that view, at least on paper.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
GOTY:
(5 Points) - DOOM
(4 Points) - HITMAN
(3 Points) - The Witness
(2 Points) - CIV VI
(1 Point) - Inside

I think DOOM should win GOTY because it's pretty good or something, I dunno.

DLC:
(3 Points) - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine is my GOTY but apparently I can't pick it as GOTY, SAD.

EA:
(3 Points) - Golf with your friends

Golf with your friends is a pretty good game, I don't own it because I don't have any friends but I like watching my favourite streamers play it with their freinds and pretend I am part of the group playing minigolf together :)

Nabs

I'm going to play through a few of the shorter indie games before voting (Inside, Oxenfree). Right now I'm looking at DOOM, Xanadu, Titanfall 2, and Momodora for my top 5.

Sch1sm

I'm going to play through a few of the shorter indie games before voting (Inside, Oxenfree). Right now I'm looking at DOOM, Xanadu, Titanfall 2, and Momodora for my top 5.

Titanfall 2 ain't a Steam game, doe.
It's on mine, too, but, RIP.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i think i'm gonna hold my vote and then do one at the end of the month

i have the last two weeks of january off so i'll use that to play doom and oxenfree and abzu and shit which i think deserve trying first before voting

tho maybe i should just submit my top 2, i don't see any game surpassing those

i miss the days i had time to play like 50 games a year ;_;

Anteater

decided to go fuck it and just finish dragon's dogma before shitterback isle would keep hurting my opinion of the game. the ending was pretty cool, the story of this game is easily its weakest part but i found it to be pretty satisfying and fun (even if i two shot the final boss lol)

dragon's dogma is really amazing, i really hope they make a proper sequel one day

that last boss was awesome tho, and I love the song they used for that, I think the story is fine but the execution is definitely bad, but I get what they're going for

edit: oo you're talking about the last boss for the main game, not the last boss for bbi

Parsnip

yeah i think i'm gonna hold my vote and then do one at the end of the month

i have the last two weeks of january off so i'll use that to play doom and oxenfree and abzu and shit which i think deserve trying first before voting

Deadline is the 16th though, don't wait too long.

You are making progress. Progress in Spelunky is skills and knowledge. Playing better and more effectively, learning how to deal with enemies and traps, etc.

Yeah there was some of that. I was definitely better after the two hours than when I began. I guess I was sad that the shortcut tunneler or whatever his name was didn't create a shortcut to 2-1 after I finally beat 1-4. I first started playing 2-1 and then died in about 30 seconds and had to go back to 1-1.

I just bought the Nuclear Throne steelbook from GameStop, factory sealed. When I try to use the Steam key to download it Steam says that it's already been used...WTF? I doubt GameStop will do anything about it...Do I contact Indiebox or what? First physical PC game purchase I've ever made too.

No explanations, just me being me.

GOTY:
(5 Points) - XCOM 2
(4 Points) - Stardew Valley
(3 Points) - 8-Bit Armies
(2 Points) - SuperHot
(1 Point) - Reigns

DLC:
(3 Points) - Waste of Space - Goat Simulator
(2 Points) - Shen's Last Gift - XCOM 2
(1 Point) - Far Harbor - Fallout 4

EA:
(3 Points) - Astroneer
(2 Points) - Slime Rancher
(1 Point) - We Happy Few

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I said it already a bit above, but I'd definitely prefer folks only doing one or two votes to no votes at all. The more folks participate the better. There's no small or bad contribution.

On a somewhat related note, you know what threads are a laugh with the passage of time? Most Anticipated Game of ____

So many hype trains that didn't quite make it to the station.

Nabs

I just bought the Nuclear Throne steelbook from GameStop, factory sealed. When I try to use the Steam key to download it Steam says that it's already been used...WTF? I doubt GameStop will do anything about it...Do I contact Indiebox or what? First physical PC game purchase I've ever made too.

I knew Gamestop employees liked taking games home and selling them like new, but this is a new low.

Call up Gamestop and see what they say. If that doesn't work, hit up Indiebox on twitter or email. It's probably something they should know about.

GOTY:
(5 Points) - DOOM
(4 Points) - Dishonored II
(3 Points) - HITMAN
(2 Points) - INSIDE
(1 Point) - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

DOOM revitalized a dead series with not only a great follow up worthy of the DOOM name and pedigree but at the same time took it into a modern yet familiar direction, it has damn near perfect gun play, the best soundtrack of the year, and a self awareness that a lot of games could learn from.

DLC:
(3 Points) - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

A DLC that's better than most games and has more content than even more, it's a perfect wrap up to The Witcher 3's story and characters.

EA:
(3 Points) - ASTRONEER
(2 Points) - Day of Infamy

In a world with hundreds of Minecraft-likes Astroneer stands out with it's beautiful visuals and art style and it's surprisingly deep game play loop. The potential is huge for this game but it also already has a very solid and fun foundation.

Nabs

So does Hitman count as DLC? edit: I see it doesn't. I don't really play DLC, and I can't really think of anything in 2016. Same goes for EA. Hmm.

Parsnip

Looked over all the games I touched in 2016 and it really does look like I only played 2 DLC's that came out this year (Baba Yaga and Ashes of Ariandel). It's a shame that I kind of ran out of steam with Witcher 3, so I haven't touched the DLC at all. I've heard some mixed things about Blood and Wine, would have been nice to maybe vote for it if I liked it.

Also looked through my games in progress and there's nothing there that came out in 2016 that I could (or felt like) knock out in the next two weeks, so I guess my list is done. Going to try and write a comment or two and submit it I guess.

zkylon

zkylewd
that last boss was awesome tho, and I love the song they used for that, I think the story is fine but the execution is definitely bad, but I get what they're going for

edit: oo you're talking about the last boss for the main game, not the last boss for bbi
yea, main game

bitterblack isle i just gave up on, i found myself grinding for levels and that's just no fun

Deadline is the 16th though, don't wait too long.
i'll probably miss the date, idk, depends on how busy my weekends get :T

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Spelunky isn't clicking for me. I don't like the feeling that I'm not making any progress in the game.

I find the game fun to play, but I suck at it. I've never been past the second area, and I doubt I'll ever be able to progress much farther, let alone "beat" Spelunky. I can recognize it as the great game that it is, but it's just too tough for me to truly enjoy it.

iiicon

With 2017 starting off hot thanks to the Binding of Isaac DLC tomorrow, hopefully we have a year as exceptional as last year. It felt like every week there was some new, interesting game coming out.

If I'm interpreting Christine Love's recent Twitter posts correctly, it seems like Ladykiller in a Bind will be out on Steam soon as well.

JCG

If I'm interpreting Christine Love's recent Twitter posts correctly, it seems like Ladykiller in a Bind will be out on Steam soon as well.

Interesting. I was wondering why that wasn't already available for purchase there a while back.

zkylon

zkylewd
Interesting. I was wondering why that wasn't already available for purchase there a while back.

cos boobs

meanwhile gaben left his knife polishing sessions to personally approve hatred back in

but if ladykiller gets in that'd be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom