• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Analysis [GIF Heavy]

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Versus XIII has always looked like an evolution of the Kingdom Hearts combat system, with real-time weapon cycling. Hasn't changed that much in that respect. Actually I'm betting that it's extremely close to being like Kingdom Hearts, just with the addition of the warping.

Based on what we've seen, Final Fantasy XV is probably the biggest departure for the series. Not sure if I'm happy about it. The KH battle system is okay for what it is, but it's far from complex. I wonder if this has enough nuances to have complex fights.

Maybe I'm being a hypocrite, but I was more okay with what this was when it was a spin-off for the PS3 and 360. Now that it's the first mainline entry for the PS4 and Xbox One, I don't know.

HeelPower

Guys I think you can go actually "plant swords" into the behemoth and then possibly this is what allowed him to set it on fire ? I dont think these are part of its visual design.THey are the same as his swords.

1010452_10151560410613369_2036922517_n.jpg

1002955_10151560410908369_1411197292_n.jpg

You can target different parts of the behemoth.See lock on in different parts.

1003964_10151560411168369_15564425_n.jpg

996174_10151560411433369_1096029227_n.jpg

Shinta

Banned
Guys I think you can go actually "plant swords" into the behemoth and then possibly this is what allowed him to set it on fire ? I dont think these are part of its visual design.THey are the same as his swords.

1002955_10151560410908369_1411197292_n.jpg

You can target different parts of the behemoth.See lock on in different parts.

1003964_10151560411168369_15564425_n.jpg
996174_10151560411433369_1096029227_n.jpg

That would be pretty crazy. With the stealth section later on, I tend to believe this. It seems like these guys are probably extremely difficult to take down. Wearing them down by hitting weak points (and even hiding later on) is a neat addition.

HeelPower

That would be pretty crazy. With the stealth section later on, I tend to believe this. It seems like these guys are probably extremely difficult to take down. Wearing them down by hitting weak points (and even hiding later on) is a neat addition.

Yes those could be pretty nice for extra precision instead of flailing wildly at a huge enemy.
Also I like the idea of setting up this swords on its body.Probably has a tactical use for large size or multiple enemies.

The planting swords thing sounds like it could be possible like in the image, wouldn't there be some way to plant or the throw the swords to teleport to also for longer distance than the regular move? If so it would be interesting if they used that for multiple functions like this.

duckroll

Yes those could be pretty nice for extra precision instead of flailing wildly at a huge enemy.
Also I like the idea of setting up this swords on its body.Probably has a tactical use for large size or multiple enemies.

I think the fight against the enemy with a large broadsword also indicated that they are designing different enemies to be fought differently. It might have been scripted, but it's still pretty interesting to see that Noctis has to parry the swipes with his heavy sword until the assist disarms the enemy, then he picks up the enemy's blade with an ally and uses it on the enemy. I just hope stuff like that in the actual game are more dynamic, and not enemy-specific QTEs.

Dresden

Man, there's a lot of potential with the Linkform stuff. The blue highlights look like you could deploy it in a frontal arc, almost like a shotgun when needed (and the player just chose to go with the context-sensitive attack instead).

If it's deployable in other forms the balance of using it as defense or offense in combination with the varying mix of weaponry could be pretty damn cool. With what duckroll mentioned earlier in the thread, the level of customization and utility is off the charts.

My hype is rising.

HeelPower

The planting swords thing sounds like it could be possible like in the image, since there must be some way to plant or the throw the swords to teleport to them too, so it would be interesting if they used that for multiple functions like this.

yeah I bet some sword types can detonated.I infer that because he used magic and it caught fire in multiple parts of its body. Probably on the swords points.I think the fire caught on the same body points as the swords while one of them set off blue light (the one on the upper right shoulder as it was different)Notice how the sword points glow as noctis uses magic in the gif.

1371023668-magic-casting-via-toggle.gif

Edit: Thanks Extentryk for gifs :D

Soriku

Could represent a combo, Sword Slash, Spear thrust, Sword Slash, quick dagger stab, Great Sword Finisher

Hmm...might be possible.

I'm hoping with the wide range of weapons that enemies have weaknesses to certain weapon types, which would add an element of strategy. Then maybe there'd be an upgrade system where you put points into each weapon type to raise stats/damage for that particular type.

duckroll

Could represent a combo, Sword Slash, Spear thrust, Sword Slash, quick dagger stab, Great Sword Finisher

No it doesn't. Because you see him using the same weapon in all combos in the video until he scrolls to the next weapon. It's very clearly a realtime weapon selection system. The 5 shown are not all the weapons either. In the first segment of the Gameplay Video, Noctis has 8 weapons in total, but only 5 are shown at a time, When he scrolls through all 8, it repeats back to the first one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There are more than one behemoth

edotlee

yeah I bet some sword types can detonated.I infer that because he used magic and it caught fire in multiple parts of its body. Probably on the swords points.I think the fire caught on the same body points as the swords while one of them set off blue light (the one on the upper right shoulder as it was different)Notice how the sword points glow as noctis uses magic.

1371011791-command-menu-magic-item-link-form.gif

jaw-drop-o.gif
if true

Edit: BTW cheers for all the excellent breakdowns and analyses in this thread

Exentryk

- Magic operates via a toggle, and not a menu selection. When Noctis uses magic, a toggle button is pressed which changes the menu's "Attack" into "Magic" and displays the mapped spells available. In the video the only spell he has is Fire, and it's mapped to the circle button.

Yeah, this gif shows the transition well.

1371023668-magic-casting-via-toggle.gif

Exentryk

So, when he's mid-air fighting the dudes on the side of the building, he's blowing a ton o' meter? (If I'm following this correctly)

No. He only uses one bar to warp once.

When he gets there, he keeps pressing Attack to finish off the enemy. Once the first enemy is dead, he locks on to the enemy below, and warps again, consuming another bar. And repeat.

As I speculated in the other thread, I don't think the targeting system is very restrictive of your attacks. There might not even be a lock on button. It seems to be very adaptive along with the camera. Edit: It only seems to actually lock on when you initiate a warp or other big attack. You can tell by the reticle changing like in the .gif below.

duckroll

So was the first part of the gameplay video played with unlimited energy? Just to show off the cool stuff? Because the bar never drains. Lol. Makes it hard to determine what moves actually drain the bar. It never drains when he warps, when he uses linkform, or when he uses magic. Boo!

No. He only uses one bar to warp once.

When he gets there, he keeps pressing Attack to finish off the enemy. Once the first enemy is dead, he locks on to the enemy below, and warps again, consuming another bar. And repeat.

So all the fanciness when he gets there is just the attack button? Interesting.

HeelPower

So was the first part of the gameplay video played with unlimited energy? Just to show off the cool stuff? Because the bar never drains. Lol. Makes it hard to determine what moves actually drain the bar. It never drains when he warps, when he uses linkform, or when he uses magic. Boo!

yeah they had massive hp as well.I don't think they took any significant damage.

Also looking at how everyone finds out something different.This is probably a fairly complex and alien gameplay system.

duckroll

Exentryk, something else we should probably highlight in the OP is that there are clearly secondary attacks. Here's an interesting bit:

1:51 onwards:

- It seems that he used Linkform, just before this, as you can still see it highlighted on the menu, but then he does a close range kick on the enemy instead of using a weapon.

- After he does a dodge roll, he attacks with the big pincer blade, but gets knocked out of the attack animation by the enemy (attack cancelling confirmed?)

- Then he switches to his next weapon (here if you do frame by frame you can clearly see the cool effect animation where he switches weapons, as it shows all the available weapons appear in transparent form as he switches to the next one)

- Immediately after switching to the regular sword, he does an evasion flip over the enemy's head.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Oh, and a correction, I'm wrong about Fire being mapped to Circle. The circular thing just looks like the same dot in the UI next to all the other commands. Magic is definitely a toggle but right now I still don't know how you select from multiple spells (or if you even can) because it's the only one shown when Magic pops up. Sorry about that!

Perhaps the bar is ATB and magic is a higher ATB cost? Maybe not in a KH game.

It's been forever since I couldn't finish KH.

Exentryk

As I speculated in the other thread, I don't think the targeting system is very restrictive of your attacks. There might not even be a lock on button. It seems to be very adaptive along with the camera.

I think there is a lock on button. Notice how the lock-ons vary in the following images. The first one has 3 distinct arcs forming the lock on, while the one below has fainter 2 arcs forming the lock on. The first one is activated once you press the button, while the second just adaps to the nearest point, when the lock-on button is off.

Thanks for posting this.

The part where he parry's the Behemoth's attacks had me hopeful, but I hope it's not a scripted exchange.

That's probably a QTE, when fighting bigger enemies you can probably trigger QTE style finishing moves after their HP is low enough, kinda like in God of War.

So the teleporting for short range attacks doesn't consume the teleport gauge right? That's cool, when fighting a bunch of enemies that are close to each other it makes the whole process faster and also looks awesome.

The party members seem to able to step in and help, like when Noctis is about to get hit by the Behemoth and the big guy pushes him back. Maybe with R1/L1?

duckroll

I think there is a lock on button. Notice how the lock-ons vary in the following images. The first one has 3 distinct arcs forming the lock on, while the one below has fainter 2 arcs forming the lock on. The first one is activated once you press the button, while the second just adaps to the nearest point, when the lock-on button is off.

It should be similar to most games Nomura has worked on creatively recently - KH games, Dissidia, and Type-0. Basically there's a soft auto-lock while playing normally, and it adjusts based on your movement and the camera, and then there's a hard lock you can toggle.

I edited my post to say that it appears that the 3 arcs only appear when you initiate a warp.
Notice in this .gif how the outer arcs don't appear until the warp command is selected.

Exentryk

Exentryk, something else we should probably highlight in the OP is that there are clearly secondary attacks. Here's an interesting bit:

1:51 onwards:

- It seems that he used Linkform, just before this, as you can still see it highlighted on the menu, but then he does a close range kick on the enemy instead of using a weapon.

It starts at 1:46. I am guessing the Linkform was just highlighted, but not used? This move is part of the secondary moves which I've listed under "OTHER".

- After he does a dodge roll, he attacks with the big pincer blade, but gets knocked out of the attack animation by the enemy (attack cancelling confirmed?)

Yup, his attack definitely gets cancelled. Confirmed.

- Then he switches to his next weapon (here if you do frame by frame you can clearly see the cool effect animation where he switches weapons, as it shows all the available weapons appear in transparent form as he switches to the next one)

Good observation. Need to gif that. 1:53 - 2:00.

- Immediately after switching to the regular sword, he does an evasion flip over the enemy's head.

Yup, executed by the same ATTACK command, and mentioned under OTHER.

Oh, and a correction, I'm wrong about Fire being mapped to Circle. The circular thing just looks like the same dot in the UI next to all the other commands. Magic is definitely a toggle but right now I still don't know how you select from multiple spells (or if you even can) because it's the only one shown when Magic pops up. Sorry about that!

Cool! I'll remove that bit.
And I am thinking you just use the dpad to navigate the spells and select the one you prefer. It would be annoying while moving around, but they could make it so that when the toggle is pressed, the face buttons map to pre-assigned spells.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think when you select the Warp command the game automatically selects the nearest enemy you could jump on. I don't think there's a separate hard lock toggle.

Edit:

Watch the trailer after 1:30, where Noctis is moving around the Iron Giants. The 3 arcs appear even when not warping.
Yup. Correct.

Exentryk

It should be similar to most games Nomura has worked on creatively recently - KH games, Dissidia, and Type-0. Basically there's a soft auto-lock while playing normally, and it adjusts based on your movement and the camera, and then there's a hard lock you can toggle.

Exactly.

I edited my post to say that it appears that the 3 arcs only appear when you initiate a warp.

Notice in this .gif how the outer arcs don't appear until the warp command is selected.

Watch the trailer after 1:30, where Noctis is moving around the Iron Giants. The 3 arcs appear even when not warping.

Parrying more than likely exists in this game. It's standard in most action games that look like this, at least...The gameplay itself is basically KH.

Some of the dodges etc he has are probably upgradable abilities, just like Sora's.

You will also see some Blade cancelling taking place at 2:02. The spear hasn't fully come out and he's cycled to the next blade.

I'm guessing the blades act a shield as well (leafveil?) - it's giving me a Summon Sword vibe that Vergil is known for.

I do like the idea of multiple versions of the same blade ala BbS abilities and it could be similar.

The kick he does I think is just for show/break. It doesn't do any damage from what I can tell.

Magic works like KH but I don't it's not clear Fire was assigned to circle (probably can be changed anyway). All the menu does is glow, the circle shape isn't the PS Circle but the UI design.

Overall I think what we're seeing is the beginning invasion with a bit of interactive cinematic fighting. I don't think the rest of the game will be exactly like it and if it is, those animations will be pretty standard (the Iron Giant parries/team assist) like some other games.

I do think summons will be useable, but possibly like KH's or even better, going the FFX/FFXII route.

duckroll

Unless the game design has completely changed (actually possible), summons are definitely in the game. One of the first things Nomura promised with Versus was that it would have a world map to explore, there would be airships and vehicles, and you would fight summons and acquire them like in traditional FF games.

HeelPower

Unless the game design has completely changed (actually possible), summons are definitely in the game. One of the first things Nomura promised with Versus was that it would have a world map to explore, there would be airships and vehicles, and you would fight summons and acquire them like in traditional FF games.

I am hoping for a fully realized world in realistic scale.Yeah I don't want classic overworld(pretty sure they won't do it anyway)

Too bad they didn't ask much about the scale or other gameplay questions in the freaking interview on SEpresents.

duckroll

I am hoping for a fully realized world in realistic scale.Yeah I don't want classic overworld(pretty sure they won't do it anyway)

Too bad they didn't ask much about the scale or other gameplay questions in the freaking interview on SEpresents.

They already did away with the "classic overworld" during one the previous Versus reboots. The last time anything was said on the matter, they already confirmed that they were going for a fully proportioned world similar to an open world game. Nomura said it would be as seamless as possible, but it sounded like they were limited by technology back then when it was still on the PS3.

Who knows what it's like now...

Scale was brought up without even asking about it directly. Recall, they asked about Versus, the scale (and ambition) of the game called for next gen tech. Which sort of answers the scale question in a wishy-washy way. It's big!

Airships are visible in the CG trailers and the gameplay (as he pops fromt he water). Whether they're full useable and not menu based ala FFX is up in the air (ha), but probably. I think Nomura is definitely on the right track with this game so far. The battle system won't fit everyone though and so far anyone that didn't like KH might not like this? I just hope the camera is great!

I want to see if they remain with the dynamic world Nomura mentioned. I don't feel set-pieces are truly dynamic...

Exentryk

Alright! Here is the weapon switching that duckroll pointed out. Is is noticeable? 7 secs is pushing the size limit with high quality, so went with normal. It's 1:53 to 2:00 for reference.

1371030621-weapons-cycling.gif

I am now looking into "certain weapons only for warp / magic".

HeelPower

They already did away with the "classic overworld" during one the previous Versus reboots. The last time anything was said on the matter, they already confirmed that they were going for a fully proportioned world similar to an open world game. Nomura said it would be as seamless as possible, but it sounded like they were limited by technology back then when it was still on the PS3.

Who knows what it's like now...

I really hope so.Last word related to this was something to this effect : one of the reasons they decided to fully switch to next gen was the "large scope" of the title.

I think a seamless world is so important for enjoyable gameplay and believability. In fact, this is what attracts me the most to Versus.

Top Bottom