• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

Somebody just equated the game being on 3DS means you're being swindled. Some of these posts in here I tell ya...the hate for 3DS is ridiculous.

It is not the hate for the 3ds as much as the fact that a lot of people have moved onto the shiny new thing and this is coming out late life cycle for the 3ds. I can understand the point.

Venfayth

I don't care if people buy the game or not. The franchise isn't dead either way. It's just funny to me to see people go out of their way to not play a game they'd likely enjoy.

People are making a big deal out of things that, in this case, aren't that big of a deal and are easily avoided.

I'm buying it used. Is that still funny? I don't actually think it's a huge deal, either. Tone gets lost in the internet.

It is not the hate for the 3ds as much as the fact that a lot of people have moved onto the shiny new thing and this is coming out late life cycle for the 3ds. I can understand the point.

I don't see the problem. The Metroid series doesn't sell well and they wanted it on a system with a large base. You're getting Metroid Prime 4 on the Switch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Come on, man - LET them kick dirt in your face! It isn't bullying, by any means... it is just withholding what you really want until such a time as you buy things that you do not want to buy. Stop defending your pockets with that Pro-Consumer Fu.

You're narrative is a bit contrived.

I dunno, go look at the post I quoted. Feels more like this game is a personal attack.

Venfayth

Somebody just equated the game being on 3DS means you're being swindled. Some of these posts in here I tell ya...the hate for 3DS is ridiculous.

What kind of coward talks about the post someone made without quoting them or naming them, and then misquotes them?

Here's my post so you can read it again.

Venfayth said:
If you believe it's your job to support a franchise then you are being swindled and Nintendo has less work to do to please you, they have less work to do to create good video games.

Tell me how I said the game being on 3DS means you're being swindled?

I hate the game being on 3DS personally, because it seems like a shallow move made to make money. This is fine, it's a business decision - it's just not in my best interests.

If you can evaluate it being on the 3DS as something you're ok with, great, fine, you're not being swindled - we just disagree.

But if you feel an obligation to buy whatever Nintendo outputs because it's titled the same thing as your favorite franchise - all the worse for you, for Nintendo, and for everyone.

Forward

I love the 3DS. It is the best system I have owned, over the last 2 or 3 generations, excepting perhaps PC.

But I hate Amiibo locked content. And I hate the gall of telling people to buy some other product or else they won't get the product they really want. Even if as-yet-made-Metroid is the sweetness, Nintendo aren't your parents, and Samus Returns isn't your unfinished plate.

Lunar15

Really can't see how putting it on the 3DS and not putting it on the Switch are related. It was created as a 3DS game.

Also, to reiterate, any developer who tells you to buy the curent game to get more games in the series is speaking honestly yet trying to sell their game. Sales of a franchise increase the likelihood of that franchise continuing. Shocking news! But every time, people treat it as if it's some kinda malicious edict from the company when really it's just a common, yet misguided thing developers say when they want their game to do well.

D.Lo

I hate the game being on 3DS personally, because it seems like a shallow move made to make money.

But if you feel an obligation to buy whatever Nintendo outputs because it's titled the same thing as your favorite franchise - all the worse for you, for Nintendo, and for everyone.
This is gold, Jerry, gold.

Boss Doggie

I love the 3DS. It is the best system I have owned, over the last 2 or 3 generations, excepting perhaps PC.

But I hate Amiibo locked content. And I hate the gall of telling people to buy some other product or else they won't get the product they really want. Even if as-yet-made-Metroid is the sweetness, Nintendo aren't your parents, and Samus Returns isn't your unfinished plate.

See whenever tries to make a reply like this you add shit like "oh nintendo isn't your friend" as though the person you're talking to doesn't know that, it's as if, holy shit, those people actually see those things less as inclusions and more like bonuses

It's hilarious when you consider that you miss out on say, additional skins and galleries and even the original Metroid if you didn't link ZM to MP2. I am utterly shocked no one is making a big fuss about that. Or on how say, you can't get special skin with its unique abilities in MP if you don't link it to Fusion. Or say, have a separate game save from an unrelated game to get a special weapon in Legend of Mana. Or those bonus level ups if you pass on a Suikoden save. People claim the "these should be part of the package damn it!" while forgetting those bonus existed, probably before they were even born.

I hate the game being on 3DS personally, because it seems like a shallow move made to make money. This is fine, it's a business decision - it's just not in my best interests.

If you can evaluate it being on the 3DS as something you're ok with, great, fine, you're not being swindled - we just disagree.

I love how suddenly something so subjective and personal becomes ultimately a moral standard of something.

Snaku

Banned
I don't see the problem. The Metroid series doesn't sell well and they wanted it on a system with a large base. You're getting Metroid Prime 4 on the Switch.

The large 3DS base is playing fucking Pokémon and could give fuck all about a remake of a game that came out when their parents hadn't even hit puberty yet. The Switch base is hungry for content, and will buy anything resembling quality. Putting it exclusively on one platform over the other makes no sense, and it should have been cross gen from the start.

yuoke

Banned
People scream "PORT IT NOWZ@#$" like there is some magical port button where the game just transfers over like nothing to the switch.

It's not like they started making this game 2 years ago when almost no one knew anything about the switch at all and it was just codename nx. It's weird how when people get emotional here, they lose sense in logic.

The large 3DS base is playing fucking Pokémon and could give fuck all about a remake of a game that came out when their parents hadn't even hit puberty yet. The Switch base is hungry for content, and will buy anything resembling quality. Putting it exclusively on one platform over the other makes no sense, and it should have been cross gen from the start.

It would have been on the wii u if it was cross gen from the start, lmao.

ZenTzen

buying or not buying the amiibos doesnt detract from you enjoying the game, yeah its bullshit that theres a difficulty mode and a skin locked behind 1 amiibo, but you still have a game there that can be enjoyed

Also I'm not buying the game just because of "supporting" a franchise i like, i'm buying it because it looks like a good and fun game, i just find ridiculous some of the logic and some hyperbolic statements some people have to shit on the game and justify not buying it

D.Lo

It's hilarious when you consider that you miss out on say, additional skins and galleries and even the original Metroid if you didn't link ZM to MP2. I am utterly shocked no one is making a big fuss about that. Or on how say, you can't get special skin with its unique abilities in MP if you don't link it to Fusion. Or say, have a separate game save from an unrelated game to get a special weapon in Legend of Mana. Or those bonus level ups if you pass on a Suikoden save. People claim the "these should be part of the package damn it!" while forgetting those bonus existed, probably before they were even born.
Nintendo were a bunch of shallow money grabbing assholes back then! How dare they lock content behind linking to a GBA game! I have to buy a GBA and game and cable just to get the content I paid for in Metroid Prime!

(no link between ZM and MP2 by the way - the link was between Fusion and ZM).

What do you mean?
Your ludicrous statements about it being 'shallow' and opinions like it being 'bad for Nintendo and everyone' stated as if they are fact. They are amusing for how petty and over the top they are.

Venfayth

Nintendo were a bunch of shallow money grabbing assholes back then! How dare they lock content behind linking to a GBA game! I have to buy a GBA and game and cable just to get the content I paid for in Metroid Prime!

(no link between ZM and MP2 by the way - the link was between Fusion and ZM).

You gonna explain what you meant in your earlier post?

I love how suddenly something so subjective and personal becomes ultimately a moral standard of something.

You think I'm treating it like a moral standard? What? Am I misunderstanding you?

I'm saying Nintendo are treating it like a business decision, and so am I. They made choices I disagree with, so I'm not buying the game from them. It's not hard to understand.

Forward

See whenever tries to make a reply like this you add shit like "oh nintendo isn't your friend" as though the person you're talking to doesn't know that, it's as if, holy shit, those people actually see those things less as inclusions and more like bonuses

Right. Bonus Easter Egg content for having purchased previous games = content locked behind new Amiibos. And it is also the same thing as preemptively threatening to deny new games if unwanted remake #2035 does not sell well. God knows it is the consumers' fault that Darkstalkers Are Dead. Because everyone should have wanted to pony up new game dollars for what was not only a quick and dirty rerelease, but an inferior one in every way to the one released a decade earlier, in order that they might get DS4.

yuoke

Banned
What kind of coward talks about the post someone made without quoting them or naming them, and then misquotes them?

Here's my post so you can read it again.

How is it a shallow money making move when they started making this probably close to a year before the switch was even revealed?

Also lol at assuming metroid fans buy anything with the franchise name on it after federation force was one of the worst first party bombs ever for nintendo.

Boss Doggie

You think I'm treating it like a moral standard? What? Am I misunderstanding you?

I'm saying Nintendo are treating it like a business decision, and so am I. They made choices I disagree with, so I'm not buying the game from them. It's not hard to understand.

No not that, you are right in that.

The "oh others are fine to do that - let them be swindled" and such.

Right. Bonus Easter Egg content for having purchased previous games = content locked behind new Amiibos. And it is also the same thing as preemptively threatening to deny new games if unwanted remake #2035 does not sell well. God knows it is the consumers' fault that Darkstalkers Are Dead. Because everyone should have wanted to pony up new game dollars for what was not only a quick and dirty rerelease, but an inferior one in every way to the one released a decade earlier, in order that they might get DS4.

Ahh right, bonus easter egg content that requires you to own a previous console that is actually unrelated to the game you're playing and a link cable. Because if I own FFVIII I surely would own LoM, or if I own a GC I would own a GBA.

And once more you're pushing that "threatening to not making games" narrative. It's hilarious.

D.Lo

Right. Bonus Easter Egg content for having purchased previous games = content locked behind new Amiibos.
OMG the spin.

"Previous games" = brand new game released the same day.
"Easter Egg content" = an entire, full retro game, and ironically basically the same skin as is unlocked in MSM.

Venfayth

Your ludicrous statements about it being 'shallow' and opinions like it being 'bad for Nintendo and everyone' stated as if they are fact. They are amusing for how petty and over the top they are.

Samus Returns being on 3DS instead of Switch, or only on the 3DS and not also the Switch, is clearly to profit from the larger install base of the 3DS. Denying this is a shallow reason is pointless. It's not for the benefit of the game, certainly.

Fans who support a franchise no matter what are in fact bad for everyone. They teach the company who makes that franchise that the bar is lowered. This is true for any company, not just Nintendo. Lower standard for the games = worse games.

If you think any of this is petty or over the top, I'm not sure what to tell you.

No not that, you are right in that.

The "oh others are fine to do that - let them be swindled" and such.

OK? Again, tone is lost on the internet, I'm not judging anyone who actually evaluates this and thinks it's fine for them. If it seems that way, that's on me. I just reserve the right to say that I think it sucks and I don't like it. I can stand next to someone who says they're glad it's on the 3DS and not think any different of them.

How is it a shallow money making move when they started making this probably close to a year before the switch was even revealed?

Also lol at assuming metroid fans buy anything with the franchise name on it after federation force was one of the worst first party bombs ever for nintendo.

You think Nintendo didn't know about the Switch before the Switch was revealed? Come on now..

To your second point I admit you've got me there. I don't really assume most people buy everything, but the tone of the statement by Sakamoto is really offputting.

Feffe

Wait, which one unlocks the original NES metroid?

Fusion unlocked Metroid NES and the Fusion Suit in Metroid Prime.

Metroid NES is also unlocked by default in Zero Mission by completing the game.

Linking Fusion and Zero Mission unlocked the Fusion Gallery in Zero Mission.

jorgejjvr

Please buy this game gaf.

We have all wanted metroid for so long, and now it's here.

We need to put our money where our mouth is.

Giolon

I’m buying it, and the amiibos. Metroid is my favorite Nintendo franchise, even over Zelda, so of course I’m in.

Lol this dude called me a coward. Looks like I struck a nerve. He says he won't buy it, but goes on some moral high ground on people who are going to buy the game. Being on the 3DS and buying the game is bad for everyone? Lol are they not suppposed to support their systems? Dude is complete hypocrite anyways.

The Amiibo situation sucks I understand. I personally don't care about hard modes at all so it doesn't bother me. Being on the 3DS doesn't bother me either because I have my 3DS and I'm going to enjoy a game in a series I love, if it's good.

Boss Doggie

Fusion unlocked Metroid NES and the Fusion Suit in Metroid Prime.

Metroid NES is also unlocked by default in Zero Mission by completing the game.

Linking Fusion and Zero Mission unlocked the Fusion Gallery in Zero Mission.

thanks, man it's been a while

Samus Returns being on 3DS instead of Switch, or only on the 3DS and not also the Switch, is clearly to profit from the larger install base of the 3DS. Denying this is a shallow reason is pointless. It's not for the benefit of the game, certainly.

Fans who support a franchise no matter what are in fact bad for everyone. They teach the company who makes that franchise that the bar is lowered. This is true for any company, not just Nintendo. Lower standard for the games = worse games.

If you think any of this is petty or over the top, I'm not sure what to tell you.

OK? Again, tone is lost on the internet, I'm not judging anyone who actually evaluates this and thinks it's fine for them. If it seems that way, that's on me. I just reserve the right to say that I think it sucks and I don't like it. I can stand next to someone who says they're glad it's on the 3DS and not think any different of them.

You think Nintendo didn't know about the Switch before the Switch was revealed? Come on now..

To your second point I admit you've got me there. I don't really assume most people buy everything, but the tone of the statement by Sakamoto is really offputting.

Again, that narrative only works if there's an intent to it to begin with, but the whole statement is so neutral. People are just putting their emotions in them.

And I seriously doubt Metroid is one of those "testing" phase games, especially with what happened before. I mean really now, after the blunder of Forces there's no real reason to go for a "testing" reasoning.

And yeah it is lost, just the structure of the sentence you posted earlier.

Also I am not defending Sakamoto or anything but his statement is pretty much a generic stuff you see in a usual Japanese developer interview, so there's not much to get from it.

Venfayth

Lol this dude called me a coward. Looks like I struck a nerve. He says he won't buy it, but goes on some moral high ground on people who are going to buy the game. Being on the 3DS and buying the game is bad for everyone? Lol are they not suppposed to support their systems? Dude is complete hypocrite anyways.

The Amiibo situation sucks I understand. I personally don't care about hard modes at all so it doesn't bother me. Being on the 3DS doesn't bother me either because I have my 3DS and I'm going to enjoy a game in a series I love, if it's good.

I mean, you certainly taught me not to take you seriously, so good on ya for that one buddy.

yuoke

Banned

SR is being made second hand by mercury steam, it's not like it's a major NST/EAD game. We even know that tons of people didn't get dev kits until like just later last year. This game was probably mostly done earlier this year, meaning they started making it like mid/late 2015.

How is this so offputting? Sakamoto candidly answered a question honestly saying he would like to make another 2d metroid after this. Nintendo isn't going to bother putting money into that though if samus returns flops.
Like when I finished the first game, if there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid.”

I understand the Amiibo stuff, but I don't care about hard mode. I never play games with a hard mode, so it doesn't bother me. I'll buy it and enjoy the game on my 3DS.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't care if people buy the game or not. The franchise isn't dead either way. It's just funny to me to see people go out of their way to not play a game they'd likely enjoy.

Admittedly I haven't read every post, but are there actually people saying "I was going to buy this game - but no longer!"? I haven't seen that.

Venfayth

I think I'm certainly guilty of inserting the tone of this thread into Sakamoto's words, it's just really irksome to me when I think of how much this news about this game has rubbed me the wrong way and then this statement comes out.

Like, I want 2D metroid. I have for a long time. Super Metroid is in the top 2 of my favorite games of all time, where it constantly switches places with SOTN. But I just disagree with how they handle some things about this game.

Meh, I've said enough.

jorgejjvr

I think I'm certainly guilty of inserting the tone of this thread into Sakamoto's words, it's just really irksome to me when I think of how much this news about this game has rubbed me the wrong way and then this statement comes out.

Like, I want 2D metroid. I have for a long time. Super Metroid is in the top 2 of my favorite games of all time, where it constantly switches places with SOTN. But I just disagree with how they handle some things about this game.

Meh, I've said enough.
You want more 2 d metroid? Great. There's one coming out next month. And if we buy it, more will be coming. Just like any game ever.

The game also looks amazing by the way.

Oh and you can still have hard mode without a toy.

Let's buy a good metroid game plz

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You want more 2 d metroid? Great. There's one coming out next month. And if we buy it, more will be coming. Just like any game ever.

The game also looks amazing by the way.

Oh and you can still have hard mode without a toy.

Let's buy a good metroid game plz

yuoke

Banned

Meh, I've said enough.

You can feel how you want.

I honestly just find it sadly ironic that outside of the amiibo thing, Nintendo really feels like they are finally probably giving the fans exactly what they have wanted. They even have on the back of the official boxart "classic metroid returns!" If the game flops, they are going to take it as all of this talk from metroid fans, the hate against fed force, etc as hot air and that there is very little interest in metroid.

Nohar

Yeah... Let's wait for the reviews GAF. I doubt Sakamoto managed to screw up that one (being a remake and all), but, frankly? I don't trust him anymore after Other M (which had many, many gameplay flaws, on top of the infamous story).

As for the bad amiibos practices, everything has already been said on that subject.

yuoke

Banned
Yeah... Let's wait for the reviews GAF. I doubt Sakamoto managed to screw up that one (being a remake and all), but, frankly? I don't trust him anymore after Other M (which had many, many gameplay flaws, on top of the rest).

As for the bad amiibos practices, everything has already been said on that subject.

Everyone that has played demos so far has said it's great and classic 2d metroid.

People that played other m demos immediately noticed issues.

and this developer doesn't have a good track record either.

He had a lot of input in super metroid, and directed fusion and zero mission which are both generally considered really good, especially zero mission.

Development for Prime 4 started this fucking year. It won't see release for like 2 years with Nintendo's polishing process.

yuoke

Banned
Development for Prime 4 started this fucking year. It won't see release for like 2 years with Nintendo's polishing process.

Before e3, almost no one was ever expecting prime 4 to happen.

Now people are bitching that it will take too long.

Never change Gaf....

D.Lo

Nintendo should only release games for systems that are exactly 3 years old.

If they release a game too early, it will bomb because the fans don't have the system yet! See Splatoon 2, it could have sold a million day 1 in Japan if it was on Wii U!

If they release a game too late (say, six years) the usebase will be there but fans will have moved on from that old piece of shit hardware!

ZenTzen

30fps 2D platformers are generally not very good, and this developer doesn't have a good track record either.
Forget the fact that everyone is saying it plays great and feels great, MS is not a bad studio, and this time they have nintendo reigning them in

people who have played sr: sr is pretty good imo
people who havent played sr: sr is bad because uhh *spins wheel* all 30 fps 2D games are bad

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah... Let's wait for the reviews GAF. I doubt Sakamoto managed to screw up that one (being a remake and all), but, frankly? I don't trust him anymore after Other M (which had many, many gameplay flaws, on top of the infamous story).

Sakomoto has been involved in development of every metroid since the 1st one with the exception of prime 2 and 3 and FF(jurys not out on hunters AFAIK)

You have very low trust in him

KingBroly

Banned
People want Samus Returns on Switch now for the same reasons they want Ultra Sun+Moon on Switch. It's the hot item. They want it on their TV in HD. Limited Games = More Exposure = Higher Sales

Zalman

Based on previous statements, it's pretty clear they intend to make more 2D Metroid unless this one bombs spectacularly.

Top Bottom