• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Police Captian Suspended after "White Male Privilege" remark

Nester99

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...e-male-privilege-remark/ar-BBGiu9R?li=AAggFp5

During the presentation, an officer who spent 28 years with the department questioned a statistic presented at the conference, that members of the transgender community are 3.32 times more likely to be the victim of police violence than non-transgender people, according to WRTV. The statistic comes from the 2012 annual report from the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, which describes itself as an advocacy group for ”local LGBTQ communities."

”My wife has never been part of police violence," he said. ”Most of the people that I know have never been, accused the police of violence. So I guess I don't get where that statistic comes from."

”‘Cause your white male privilege, so you wouldn't know" said a woman's voice. The woman was identified as Weber

”I was racially and sexistly slurred by Captain Carri Weber while I was asking a question of the instructor in training," the officer wrote in the complaint. ”I am now firmly aware of the discriminatory belief she just verbally communicated.

... There is no place in the Plainfield Police administration or supervision for someone who holds and espouses her discriminatory views."

Weber was placed on administrative leave on Nov. 16.

The comment of "white male privilege" is now seen by some as racist and sexist.

Do you agree ? Why or Why not?

EDIT - Link to the video of her saying the comment.

https://youtu.be/dXWGVOWrWeI

Basoes

I don't see how it isn't racist or sexist, since the phrase is being used to belittle people

mr2xxx

Banned
Other Officer should of been suspended for being an idiot. Because I seriously doubt his wife and friends represent the trans community in any way shape or form. Just seems like he wants to downplay any wrong doing that the police have caused historically.

Dude Abides

Banned
I hope he wasn’t emotionally scarred too badly by this traumatic experience. Police training should be a safe space.

Relativ9

...what goes around comes around? I guess?...I Mean there is s certain amount of irony and humor to be found looking at this from the outside, but honestly it's just sad that it's come to this point.

On the topic that caused the comment: he's wrong for being completely oblivious to how statistics work. She's wrong for trying to devalue his opinion based on his race and gender.

Then again I'm not entirely sure this isn't some sort of hoax...

MastAndo

He shouldn't be using anecdotes about himself and his family/friends to rebut someone using statistics, and she shouldn't be making these insulting, overwaching statements about him based on that. That said, I am looking forward to when some of these terms that get thrown around constantly become passé.

Also, I didn't know police brutality against transgender people was a thing...hearing the speaker's response to the request to extrapolate on that would have been more interesting than hearing these two bicker.

Mistake

What a poor baby. He could have acknowledged the comment and led more of a discussion, but instead complained about it. Maybe it was a little insulting, but so what. Take it in stride

Zog

Banned
What a poor baby. He could have acknowledged the comment and led more of a discussion, but instead complained about it. Maybe it was a little insulting, but so what. Take it in stride

Hmm...sometimes racism and sexism are ok because they can start a discussion?

Wielding accusations of privilege as a bludgeon to shut people down is idiotic. She should've come up with a better argument instead of attempting a lazy "gotcha" that borders on ad hominem.

Privilege exists, and it is worthwhile to acknowledge it. But the way she went about bringing it up was just dumb (and entirely useless to the discussion they were having).

Naudi

Banned
Poor fragile white man. She should have just pulled a gun and shot the closest minority for a couple weeks paid off and then she would be right back to work. Oh well, live and learn I guess!

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Good.

Attacks of whites, especially straight white males, has to be pushed back.

Theirs a legion of leftist white soy boy progressives lining up to hate their own sex/race.

Shamylov

...what goes around comes around? I guess?...I Mean there is s certain amount of irony and humor to be found looking at this from the outside, but honestly it's just sad that it's come to this point.

On the topic that caused the comment: he's wrong for being completely oblivious to how statistics work. She's wrong for trying to devalue his opinion based on his race and gender.

Then again I'm not entirely sure this isn't some sort of hoax...

I agree that she shouldn't have dismissed his point of view solely because of his sex and gender. Instead, she should have invited him to consider that being male and white insulates him from having to experience the realities that a disadvantaged minority has to face, which is a form of privilege.

This is assuming that he wasn't being disingenuous with his comment.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the flippant manner in which she made the comment is a huge part of what changed the meaning of her message.

Zog

Banned
I agree that she shouldn't have dismissed his point of view solely because of his sex and gender. Instead, she should have invited him to consider that being male and white insulates him from having to experience the realities that a disadvantaged minority has to face, which is a form of privilege.

This is assuming that he wasn't being disingenuous with his comment.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the flippant manner in which she made the comment is a huge part of what changed the meaning of her message.

So she should have said the same thing except in nicer way? To assume a person is clueless and therefore has a lesser opinion because of their gender and/or skin color is racism and sexism no matter how nice you say it.

Shamylov

So she should have said the same thing except in nicer way? To assume a person is clueless and therefore has a lesser opinion because of their gender and/or skin color is racism and sexism no matter how nice you say it.

I'm not saying his opinion is "lesser" but rather trying to explain why he hasn't seen that aspect of police violence despite the research that was presented to him. The argument about privilege is valid in that case. However, she was just silencing him because of his sex and race by throwing out a snappy comment like that.

And again, this is assuming he would be open to considering the argument and not being disingenuous.

Zog

Banned
I'm not saying his opinion is "lesser" but rather trying to explain why he hasn't seen that aspect of police violence despite the research that was presented to him. The argument about privilege is valid in that case. However, she was just silencing him because of his sex and race by throwing out a snappy comment like that.

And again, this is assuming he would be open to considering the argument and not being disingenuous.

Saying 'you are too privileged to understand because of your gender and race' is the same as saying that 'your opinion is of lesser value due to your gender and race'.

With your last sentence you attempt to turn the blame on him if he doesn't agree that his opinion is of lesser value.

This kind of talk isn't ok against any other groups, it shouldn't be ok against straight white males.

Shamylov

Saying 'you are too privileged to understand because of your gender and race' is the same as saying that 'your opinion is of lesser value due to your gender and race'.

With your last sentence you attempt to turn the blame on him if he doesn't agree that his opinion is of lesser value.

This kind of talk isn't ok against any other groups, it shouldn't be ok against straight white males.

You are just repeating the same argument after I already explained what I meant. My comment isn't about judging how valuable his opinion is but rather offer an alternative point of view for why he hasn't experienced what the statistics are pointing to.

By the way, it should be obvious that he can't discount statistics because of his personal experiences unless the statistics are specifically about him.

Also, the video posted above shows that he is framing the problem as somehow the fault of transgender individuals. We can explain this using the privilege argument too, by the way. He may think people are only treated justly by police because that may be his experience as a straight, white male.

Zog

Banned
You are just repeating the same argument after I already explained what I meant. My comment isn't about judging how valuable his opinion is but rather offer an alternative point of view for why he hasn't experienced what the statistics are pointing to.

By the way, it should be obvious that he can't discount statistics because of his personal experiences unless the statistics are specifically about him.

Also, the video posted above shows that he is framing the problem as somehow the fault of transgender individuals. We can explain this using the privilege argument too, by the way. He may think people are only treated justly by police because that may be his experience as a straight, white male.

You are justifying the belief that the only thing she did wrong was to say 'your opinion is invalid because you are a straight white male' in an unfriendly way. Will you atleast acknowledge that treating straight white males like this is both sexist and racist?

Shamylov

You are justifying the belief that the only thing she did wrong was to say 'your opinion is invalid because you are a straight white male' in an unfriendly way. Will you atleast acknowledge that treating straight white males like this is both sexist and racist?

What she did wrong was being disrespectful to the officer and making the point of her comment be lost because of snark. I don't think what she did is sexist or racist. This is what I think happened:

She took the argument "whiteness and maleness shields you in ways that can make you unaware of what marginalized groups go through" and instead turned it into "you can't know because being a white male makes you ignorant of this". A lot gets lost when you try to make it snarky.

Zog

Banned
What she did wrong was being disrespectful to the officer and making the point of her comment be lost because of snark. I don't think what she did is sexist or racist. This is what I think happened:

She took the argument "whiteness and maleness shields you in ways that can make you unaware of what marginalized groups go through" and instead turned it into "you can't know because being a white male makes you ignorant of this". A lot gets lost when you try to make it snarky.

It was sexist and racist, the whole 'your opinion is invalid due to you being a straight white male' is sexist and racist. There is no non racist and non sexist way to express that.

Shamylov

It was sexist and racist, the whole 'your opinion is invalid due to you being a straight white male' is sexist and racist. There is no non racist and non sexist way to express that.

It's not racist to point out the things that make him a privileged member of society. What you're proposing is that it's impossible to discuss privilege in society without being racists. This is ridiculous.

But in this case, it was nonetheless true. As a white man there was no need for him to be cognizant for the stats provided. His privilege caused him to question their veracity. Pointing that out to him hurt his feelings. I think he'll survive.

Ubername

Banned
But in this case, it was nonetheless true. As a white man there was no need for him to be cognizant for the stats provided. His privilege caused him to question their veracity. Pointing that out to him hurt his feelings. I think he'll survive.

Fuck that. This kind of shit shouldn't be tolerated and she should be fired, in today's society there is absolutely no place for that kind of wanton disregard for people's minority status, absolutely disgusting. Personally I think she should have been fired. There is no reason to spout such hateful garbage at someone.

Racism is only ok when your cool with it, got it.

highrider

Banned
Ok white guy, there’s this thing. You can’t perceive it yourself even if you acknowledge its existence, but it invalidates your input on many things which I will inform you of as I see fit. Your background, experience, culture and personal beliefs are irrelevant, you are a white male. Bit of a cudgel there..

Mistake

Hmm...sometimes racism and sexism are ok because they can start a discussion?
I didn't see the video, but from what I read she was just making a point. How much someone gets offended or takes that is on them. A better person would handle it instead of being a whiner. Don't try to make this a one glove fits all situation, it's not. Giving respect when someone might not deserve it is part of being an adult, and works better than what happened here. Don't forget, these people are supposed to be trained in deescalation as well

Zog

Banned
I didn't see the video, but from what I read she was just making a point. How much someone gets offended or takes that is on them. A better person would handle it instead of being a whiner. Don't try to make this a one glove fits all situation, it's not

Racism and Sexism are ok as long you are making a point? Would you call a person from another group a whiner for not accepting a racist and sexist comment directed at them or is that only for white males?

Mistake

Racism and Sexism are ok as long you are making a point? Would you call a person from another group a whiner for not accepting a racist and sexist comment directed at them or is that only for white males?
I don't care who or what the person is. Not being direct or talking to someone up front is something I hate. You don't change opinions going around and being passive aggressive. People are going to say things you don't like, deal with it. I never said it was ok, stop focusing on that

We both know the answer to that, its ok to be racist to white people according to some .....

Glad she was suspended

Zog

Banned
I don't care who or what the person is. Not being direct or talking to someone up front is something I hate. You don't change opinions going around and being passive aggressive. People are going to say things you don't like, deal with it. I never said it was ok, stop focusing on that

You never said it was ok? Really, you turned it around on the victim. You said:

You said:
How much someone gets offended or takes that is on them. A better person would handle it instead of being a whiner.

Now that sure sounds like you are saying that what she said was ok while he, objecting to her comment was not ok.

Mistake

Zog, I don't know how you function in a society man, you're making my head spin. You can't expect things to go the way you want all the time, but you can certainly make it better. That's all i meant from the beginning. I'm out

llien

Statistically, in the given context, being white is a privilege, while being male is the exact opposite (with two times stronger effect).

As far as incarceration goes, "privileges" (systemic bias against or in favor) look like this:

white women > black women > white men > black men
(Hispanic are above black but below whites, I think it's irrelevant in this thread)

RfuXHj6.png

This alone does not, of course, give us exact picture (things such as "is it first time" etc need to be taken into account) but from what I recall, white <> black gap is 20% in white favor, while male <> female (across all races) is at about 40%+. Interested could dig here.

Top Bottom