• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

Seda

There isn't an easy way to farm Babyl Keys, is there? :( Already bought all of them from the store.

I think all you can do is battle with a high encounter level.

Checking a wiki, I've fully explored the Babyl dungeon (for the first half of the game) except the final room 'C3' I guess I need beta keys to get there(?) - wonder if there's anything interesting there.

Saphirax

yeah you can keep doing that one multiple times. keep some curry items for the 2nd half of the game

the keys no real easy to farm them at least none i remember?
Oh yeah, just saw the Curry is gone from the store. Will reload and get some then.
Edit: Well, that didn't help. Seems like the curry is gone after finishing the last mission and not just after advancing to the second semester. I'll be fine with just 3, right? :p

Checking a wiki, I've fully explored the Babyl dungeon (for the first half of the game) except the final room 'C3' I guess I need beta keys to get there(?) - wonder if there's anything interesting there.

That's exactly where I was. C3 has two rooms, both which require Babyl Beta keys. I only had one key, but I opened the wrong door and had to reload. One of the doors is needed to finish the last mission of the first semester.

Seda

That's exactly where I was. C3 has two rooms, both which require Babyl Beta keys. I only had one key, but I opened the wrong door and had to reload. One of the doors is needed to finish the last mission of the first semester.

Ah, should probably stop just randomly exploring and do some of these missions haha

SephLuis

You need to go to C3 in the first semester and you will need two babil lambda keys for that. You have to fuse them at the lab.

This will be a optional mission, but the game story won't advance until you do it.

pariah164

Whoop, almost forgot to join in the OT. I'm so excited to get a new dungeon crawler; Demon Gaze feels almost like a distant memory now.

I'm sure they're wildly different animals, but if anyone has played both, is Operation Abyss better/worse/equal in quality to Dungeon Traveler 2? Since DT2 is coming out in August, I was thinking I might hold off as I am still also playing PAD on 3DS, but Operation Abyss does look fun, and I did like Demon's Gaze quite a bit.

Shizuka

How do you "use" Gamble Codes? I can't just select it from my inventory.

Edit: Nevermind, you "affix" the gamble code to the item.

CrovaxPSO

How do you "use" Gamble Codes? I can't just select it from my inventory.

Don't know what the menu options are in English, but in the item lab, choose the first option and then the fourth option. Then pick the item first, then the gamble code from the key items section.

Shizuka

Around fifteen reloads later, got the MURAMASA. When I went to equip it, it asked if I'd like to activate the special function, but that it'd destroy the weapon. What is that?

CrovaxPSO

Around fifteen reloads later, got the MURAMASA. When I went to equip it, it asked if I'd like to activate the special function, but that it'd destroy the weapon. What is that?

Should say in the description I think. Usually just adds a tiny bit of HP or something. Never seen a case where I'd want to do that instead of keeping the item.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh yeah, just saw the Curry is gone from the store. Will reload and get some then.
Edit: Well, that didn't help. Seems like the curry is gone after finishing the last mission and not just after advancing to the second semester. I'll be fine with just 3, right? :p

yeah plus you can find more from enemies too so you should be ok!

Xth Subway dungeon, defeat Robot PDs

Whoop, almost forgot to join in the OT. I'm so excited to get a new dungeon crawler; Demon Gaze feels almost like a distant memory now.

Lets hope the game does well so you folks in the West can get more titles from Exp Inc.

Seda

So I was looking at the Trophy list - most things seem pretty standard fare: clearing bosses, crafting, boosting, defeat # enemies/battles.

What is this 'Whoops!' one though?
"You've destroyed a floor in Morimoto High-rise. Be careful when carrying heavy objects."

CrovaxPSO

So I was looking at the Trophy list - most things seem pretty standard fare: clearing bosses, crafting, boosting, defeat # enemies/battles.

What is this 'Whoops!' one though?
"You've destroyed a floor in Morimoto High-rise. Be careful when carrying heavy objects."

There are weights you can buy in the shop and you'll find some more throughout the game. If you go to a certain spot in that building with enough weights, it breaks the floor and you fall down.

Parakeetman

I'm sure they're wildly different animals, but if anyone has played both, is Operation Abyss better/worse/equal in quality to Dungeon Traveler 2? Since DT2 is coming out in August, I was thinking I might hold off as I am still also playing PAD on 3DS, but Operation Abyss does look fun, and I did like Demon's Gaze quite a bit.

Unfortunately GAF has deemed discussion of DT2 banned, therefore will be unable to answer the question.

If you enjoyed Demon Gaze then you might enjoy this title also as the base combat and such is the same. Heres a post had previously done with someone else asking about DG vs OA.

Combat wise its the same, but other gameplay mechanics are different such as the item crafting / upgrading. As you actually have to use resources rather than just grinding things into dust and using that as a main resource pool for each weapon type. Treasure drops are from battle and there is no circle type of system that Demon Gaze used. Also you do not have to worry about having to buy more members, as once you finish the story introduction you can fill out a full party right away. MP in this title is also handled differently in the older Wizardry type of design where spells are separated into tiers each with a limited amount of uses. When you lv up you get more uses per lv tier. Example below.

Lv1. Fire, Water, Etc x 8
Lv2. Poison, Quake, Etc x 5
Lv3. Fire Wall, Tidal Wave, Etc x 2

The example above shows you can use any of the lv 1 spells 8 times total, lv 2 5 times total, lv 3 2 times.

Leveling up is done by resting at the inn, same with recovering MP for the spells.

Also the Encounter Gauge system is something different as the higher that value in the upper left goes the stronger enemies will get lv wise. But better rewards such exp / money / loot.

Narrative, setting and some gameplay mechanics are different. But if one is thinking in general terms of how combat is, that is pretty much the same for the most part. Except not being able to target exactly what you want in a group of enemies. Though it does not really effect you in a negative way. It just feels odd as most other games allow for targeting individual units in the same enemy type group.

Dont buy comments like much better atmosphere as that is subjective. It depends if you prefer a fantasy to a modern setting.

The last thing that is important to others is the game does not really contain fan service to the level like how some scenes in Demon Gaze did. Though there is 1 scene that some consider to be fan service, but is tame in comparison.

Shizuka

There are weights you can buy in the shop and you'll find some more throughout the game. If you go to a certain spot in that building with enough weights, it breaks the floor and you fall down.

Do you know the spot and how many weights it takes to take down the floor?

Parakeetman

In these sorts of games I have a bad habit of exploring every nook and corner as early as I possibly can and then do the missions / proceed the story lol. It's not very efficient though.

I know how that feels, it seriously drives me crazy when I dont have a map fully explored lol. Was so bad in the babelsphere. D: At least made out with all sorts of junk and cash though :D

If Operation Babel makes its way to the US some of the maps will drive you crazy then lol.

Shizuka

In these sorts of games I have a bad habit of exploring every nook and corner as early as I possibly can and then do the missions / proceed the story lol. It's not very efficient though.

I would recommend otherwise on the first part of the game, if only because you'll hit the level cap and there isn't a lot you can do after that.

Seda

I would recommend otherwise on the first part of the game, if only because you'll hit the level cap and there isn't a lot you can do after that.

Too late I've been level 15 for hours but just now clearing the last few tasks before part 2 ┐(ツ)┌

Unfortunately GAF has deemed discussion of DT2 banned, therefore will be unable to answer the question.

If you enjoyed Demon Gaze then you might enjoy this title also as the base combat and such is the same. Heres a post had previously done with someone else asking about DG vs OA.

Wait... discussion is really banned? Metaphorically or is the game legitmately something I need to avoid like the plague?

Shizuka

Too late I've been level 15 for hours but just now clearing the last few tasks before part 2 ┐(ツ)┌

Only thing I did after reaching the level cap, other than clearing the semester, was taking down the variants I had left. The level cap should've been 20, because the game is just as difficult at the beginning of the second half as it is during the beginning of the game.

Also, I didn't find that weight for sale or development, is it a material, plug-in, key? I think I'm not meant to do it just yet, maybe I'll be able to do it after I reach post-game.

Seda

Wait... discussion is really banned? Metaphorically or is the game legitmately something I need to avoid like the plague?

Apparently Dungeon Travelers 2 is actually a pretty good based on those who have played the Japanese version. Due to the sexual nature of the artwork (specifically with young-looking children) there won't be an OT for it though.

Parakeetman

I went and made a whole 2nd Lv 15 party while doing that lol

Pretty useful running around with 2 samurai when I just wanted to gather loot and cash later on. All those extra resources came in handy too in the 2nd half of the game when I started to get new pieces of equipment and needed to upgrade them.

CrovaxPSO

Only thing I did after reaching the level cap, other than clearing the semester, was taking down the variants I had left. The level cap should've been 20, because the game is just as difficult at the beginning of the second half as it is during the beginning of the game.

Also, I didn't find that weight for sale or development, is it a material, plug-in, key? I think I'm not meant to do it just yet, maybe I'll be able to do it after I reach post-game.

The level cap is definitely not an ideal solution, but each level means quite a lot in this series. Starting at 20 vs starting at 15 not only means you'd have 5 whole levels but also the important lv21 skills much sooner as well. Things would definitely be a lot easier with regard to combat.

You can buy 5 or 6 weights from the shop, I think they were key items but might be wrong. Others you get later but I forget exactly how.

Parakeetman

You need to progress further in the 2nd half of the game if it is not available in the shop yet.

Gotta defeat the TPF Kingdom boss then it should show up in limited quantity in the shop.

SephLuis

When I hit the lvl cap, I trained an assassin, a monk and an archer.

The monk and archer are now in my main team and deal insane amounts of damage.

I would train other classes if you already hit the lvl cap.

CrovaxPSO

I've been playing Meikyuu Cross Blood in Infinity Mode (5 party members instead of 6) and I'm seriously missing the archer I used in Abyss and Babel. Can get some crazy damage for sure if you manage to keep both the bow and arrow up to date.

Parakeetman

One of these days Im going to go through the game again with 3 archers in the back just to see what happens lol.

bobohoro

The level cap should've been 20, because the game is just as difficult at the beginning of the second half as it is during the beginning of the game.

Wait, the beginning should be difficult?
I just hit the [Spoiler shortly after first exam]
Nono bossfight
and it's the first time I actually came close to dying (and did so) in the game, although I played most of it on pure auto-pilot.

And do you create completely new characters or just change the blood code on your existing ones when training new classes?

Parakeetman

Wait, the beginning should be difficult?
I just hit the [Spoiler shortly after first exam]
Nono bossfight
and it's the first time I actually came close to dying (and did so) in the game, although I played most of it on pure auto-pilot.

And do you create completely new characters or just change the blood code on your existing ones when training new classes?

The start can be difficult or not depending on your level / equipment.

Usually just create new characters as my stats setting at the start is used to match with the blood code said character will main.

Shizuka

After I learned the power of Brain Spire with SephLuis, I'm breezing through the game. Damn, using that and keeping yourself with those unity skills all the time is OP.

Parakeetman

After I learned the power of Brain Spire with SephLuis, I'm breezing through the game. Damn, using that and keeping yourself with those unity skills all the time is OP.

Its more like if you dont know how to use the system, expect to die during the post game content lol.

Its one of the design features that they have kept around for a while with different titles.

Ah wait I see its Brain Spire is what you are talking about lol. Yeah that skill is pretty important the other big reason to have the Academic around. Dont think there are any negative effects also for constantly using it. Besides it not always working.

JPS Kai

I swapped my Monk into a Conjurer. Did I choose poorly?

Current party: Knight, Conjurer, Archer, Priest, Magician, Academic

Parakeetman

Not really, if you like your party setup you can make it work. Though the Conjurer takes a bit of leveling before it becomes more useful. As at higher level
lv 21
it will have a skill that helps with preventing the ally monster from running away in battle. It just is a bit of an unusual character when it comes to use.

One of the suggested stats to raise is LUK to help prevent against the bad status effects and such. Also PHY to help with HP. Thats along side the INT & or MYS stuff depending on what you want to do.

While I did not use one in Abyss, in the 2nd game mine is more heavy on the INT side as its being made for combat, vs support. I read that a summoner can be put into the front lines too, but I dont really think I want to risk that lol.

Shizuka

These kind of games really from Samurais, just like Demon Gaze before it. Spoiler:
all of them have Muramasa, one of the strongest, if not the strongest weapon in the game and you'll need a Samurai for it.

JPS Kai

Not really, if you like your party setup you can make it work. Though the Conjurer takes a bit of leveling before it becomes more useful. As at higher levels it will have a skill that helps with preventing the ally monster from running away in battle.

The sole reason I have a Magician is for enfloat since I don't want to give everyone a float accessory or keep blowing on the tool. I might turn the magician to Conjurer then monk into samurai.

I've been falling WAY behind on my review and only recently hit level ~18 with my party, doubt I can get to a satisfactory point before my review is due on Tuesday.

Parakeetman

The sole reason I have a Magician is for enfloat since I don't want to give everyone a float accessory or keep blowing on the tool. I might turn the magician to Conjurer then monk into samurai.

I've been falling WAY behind on my review and only recently hit level ~18 with my party, doubt I can get to a satisfactory point before my review is due on Tuesday.

Hmm, if you wanted to blow through the title faster a party built more on straight forward offense might have worked out better. As even I still have no idea what Im doing exactly with the conjurer for the most part. Then again still am under the level till it becomes more useful too so that does not help lol.

Though the monk is a pretty good powerhouse as mentioned in an earlier post apparently it can even out damage a warrior with the correct gear. Archer too will be a big help for single targets.

JPS Kai

Hmm, if you wanted to blow through the title faster a party built more on straight forward offense might have worked out better. As even I still have no idea what Im doing exactly with the conjurer for the most part. Then again still am under the level till it becomes more useful too so that does not help lol.

Though the monk is a pretty good powerhouse as mentioned in an earlier post apparently it can even out damage a warrior with the correct gear.

Most definitely. I got lucky and had some level 17 fists while I was still in the first semester. They sucked against enemies with high defense, but the defense breaker skills definitely helped.

Parakeetman

Most definitely. I got lucky and had some level 17 fists while I was still in the first semester. They sucked against enemies with high defense, but the defense breaker skills definitely helped.

Its a pretty fun class to use when you manage to find some decent gear for them. Fairly straightforward too skill wise. :) And depending what initial stats setup you go with they can take pretty good amount of punishment too.

JPS Kai

Its a pretty fun class to use when you manage to find some decent gear for them. Fairly straightforward too skill wise. :) And depending what initial stats setup you go with they can take pretty good amount of punishment too.

Pretty sure both my knight and monk were built PHY/STR with a little bit of LUC.

As far as unity skills go, is there a good way to make the suicide skill go up in damage or should I just keep using the front row only attack?

Parakeetman

Pretty sure both my knight and monk were built PHY/STR with a little bit of LUC.

As far as unity skills go, is there a good way to make the suicide skill go up in damage or should I just keep using the front row only attack?

Yeah you might want to up LUC a bit more so it helps prevent bad status effects from taking the Knight out of the front lines. You can drop putting points into STR for a little while, since later you will be defending a lot more than attacking. So the LUK will be a lot more beneficial.

Am not sure on that let me check. I never thought about trying to raise damage with unity skills or if it is possible. Had always thought it was like a combination of your PT members stats or something. Dont think Ive ever read about a detailed breakdown with how those work. Give me a sec.

JPS Kai

Yeah you might want to up LUC a bit more so it helps prevent bad status effects from taking the Knight out of the front lines. You can drop putting points into STR for a little while, since later you will be defending a lot more than attacking. So the LUK will be a lot more beneficial.

Am not sure on that let me check.
Once I realized my Knight was on Aegis duty 95% of the time, I stopped pumping STR at all.

CrovaxPSO

These kind of games really from Samurais, just like Demon Gaze before it. Spoiler:
all of them have Muramasa, one of the strongest, if not the strongest weapon in the game and you'll need a Samurai for it.

The Muramasa weapons are good but there are crazy good weapons of every type. The Muramasa is more of a Team Muramasa thing, kind of a tradition I guess. Here are some insane weapons I got in Operation Babel.

BLL7hZy.jpg
6Wi2eSA.jpg

eE00cpN.jpg
2B4QYrP.jpg

Parakeetman

Once I realized my Knight was on Aegis duty 95% of the time, I stopped pumping STR at all.

Yeah I only put some in initially when she was still fighting then stopped also.

The union stuff, the only way to raise the attack more is just to get the higher levels of it. As the first lv has reduced damage, second level slightly reduced damage and third level removes the damage reduction penalty.

But they did not mention what the actual breakdown of how the overall damage is calculated. So with that I reckon it just depends on the stats of your characters.

Top Bottom