• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

As a sucker for growing town mechanics, the fact ys 8 is structured around searching an island for castaways to improve the town does a lot to increase my enjoyment of the game.

Lucentto

Banned
Well, I just beat the game, 51 hours. Pretty much 100% (map completion, all treasures, etc...). Absolutely incredible game, Falcom really outdone themselves with this one. Despite the horrid translation (thanks NISA), this is easily one of my favorite Ys games. I like it better than Oath tbh.

I am looking forward to the next Falcom game to hit our shores, maybe Tokyo Xanadu (I dunno, I am kind of burnt out on school settings.)

Also I beg of you Falcom, don't let NISA touch another one of your games...

preta

Well, I just beat the game, 51 hours. Pretty much 100% (map completion, all treasures, etc...). Absolutely incredible game, Falcom really outdone themselves with this one. Despite the horrid translation (thanks NISA), this is easily one of my favorite Ys games. I like it better than Oath tbh.

I am looking forward to the next Falcom game to hit our shores, maybe Tokyo Xanadu (I dunno, I am kind of burnt out on school settings.)

Also I beg of you Falcom, don't NISA touch another one of your games...

Well, the Vita version of Tokyo Xanadu was localized back in June, but I'd definitely recommend waiting for the PS4/PC version later this year, which is significantly better.

Agreed on your other thoughts as well - VIII is my favorite Ys game, beating out even Felghana and Origin.

And yeah... hopefully NISA never gets to touch another Falcom game again. Falcom themselves have said they don't know what makes a good localization and leave everything in the hands of their publishers, so hopefully the negative buzz about the localization quality makes it back to them.

Did you do the
postgame dungeon
, by the way?

I like how you can clip into areas you're not supposed to get to till later. Dunno who lets me climb the vines but I ain't got time for that jump and swing until Adol clips his way on top of the cliff from the other side for that chest in nameless shore

Lucentto

Banned
Well, the Vita version of Tokyo Xanadu was localized back in June, but I'd definitely recommend waiting for the PS4/PC version later this year, which is significantly better.

Agreed on your other thoughts as well - VIII is my favorite Ys game, beating out even Felghana and Origin.

And yeah... hopefully NISA never gets to touch another Falcom game again. Falcom themselves have said they don't know what makes a good localization and leave everything in the hands of their publishers, so hopefully the negative buzz about the localization quality makes it back to them.

Did you do the
postgame dungeon
, by the way?

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the PS4 version for TX. Have you played it? Is it any good?

Honestly 7 is probably my current favorite, it may have to do with that being my first Ys game though.

Right now I am just praying they don't get their hands on CS3, I might actually get pissed if that happens.

Also -
Yes, I completed it. I didn't find it too difficult.

preta

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the PS4 version for TX. Have you played it? Is it any good?

Honestly 7 is probably my current favorite, it may have to do with that being my first Ys game though.

Right now I am just praying they don't get their hands on CS3, I might actually get pissed if that happens.

Also -
Yes, I completed it. I didn't find it too difficult.

I have played the PS4 version. I wouldn't call TX Falcom's best game or anything, and it will likely seem a bit underwhelming after Ys VIII, but it's definitely solid. Story-wise, it definitely feels like a Persona-style story with Trails-style writing (although not on that level), if that makes sense. The dungeons and bosses aren't as consistently good or unique as Ys for the most part, although there are some great ones in the second half of the game. I do have to give the soundtrack special mention for being one of my favorite modern Falcom soundtracks.

Really loving this game but am i stupid or is this games map confusing AF at times? When you hit the L dir pad it pulls it up but you only see his head and not what direction hes going. If you hit the D dir pad it pulls up a different, closer map but its not even the same direction as if you had hit L instead. I find myself thinking im heading towards a story point or some other ? and i end up going the opposite direction.

Apologies if you know all this:

Try switching Mini-Map option to Synchronized with screen rotation and turn on Mini-Map Range. (It'll add a cone pointing in the direction cam is looking... which may help?)
On the area map the dots behind Ad's giant head are supposed to help you figure out which direction you're headed in, (the more solid dot colours = the latter of the steps you took) though I can easily see these not being of much use if you're sat at afar from your display.
Personally, my issues with the map are more of the Where the floop am I going next?!?! variety than anything else >_< Though thankfully that only really happened the once.

Of course
Silvia the fucking hero gladiator
isn't a party member. It makes too much sense for this anime game

SIGH.

At least she's in the game. And if her dialogue is any indication,
she's going to clean the floor with you once she agrees to fight adol

The cast of npcs has grown on me throught the game. There are some obnoxious characters but overall I like them and I find myself talking to everyone each time there's progress in the story.

silva1991

At least she's in the game. And if her dialogue is any indication,
she's going to clean the floor with you once she agrees to fight adol

The cast of npcs has grown on me throught the game. There are some obnoxious characters but overall I like them and I find myself talking to everyone each time there's progress in the story.

The things I would do to replace her with Ricotta lol

What is the best place to farm for red meat and mushrooms? I don't understand why low ranking material like red meat is hard to get.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Apologies if you know all this:

Try switching Mini-Map option to Synchronized with screen rotation and turn on Mini-Map Range. (It'll add a cone pointing in the direction cam is looking... which may help?)
On the area map the dots behind Ad's giant head are supposed to help you figure out which direction you're headed in, (the more solid dot colours = the latter of the steps you took)
though I can easily see these not being of much use if you're sat at afar from your display.
Personally, my issues with the map are more of the Where the floop am I going next?!?! variety than anything else >_< Though thankfully that only really happened the once.

Thank you for all of this!!!! I didnt know those options existed, i will definitely enable those tonight when i play again. I also had no clue what all those dots meant lol. Thanks again!

Thud

The things I would do to replace her with Ricotta lol

What is the best place to farm for red meat and mushrooms? I don't understand why low ranking material like red meat is hard to get.

That cave under the waterfall where you find
the nun
has mushrooms.

As for meats, you could fish a lot :p.

Alternative would be to hunt low level beasts or sell higher level meat.

ys45

So what's up with Ricotta calling
Shoebill
her superior? Did they translate literally Senpai? My guess is she calls him Senpai in Japanese and they made a direct translation?

English is not my native language so I did not really notice anything else but this part sounded weird to me.

Translation of Tokyo Xanadu is horrible though. Really the worst. I liked the machine-translated one of Zero No Kiseki better.

Thud

Shoebill
her superior? Did they translate literally Senpai? My guess is she calls him Senpai in Japanese and they made a direct translation?

English is not my native language so I did not really notice anything else but this part sounded weird to me.

Have you looked at him. Fabulous bird can down a guardian in one gulp.

Best be polite.

Shoebill

Don't worry, English is my native language and it sounded bizarre the moment I heard it.

Bladenic

Translation of Tokyo Xanadu is horrible though. Really the worst. I liked the machine-translated one of Zero No Kiseki better.

So two falcom games with less than savory translations? :/ (not that Ys8 is horrible).

At least Xseed released The 3rd (not that I've played it yet).

Anyway, I've hit the point where the game is super fun, everything clicks, and I can't wait to play more. I only just got my fifth party member so I assume still have tons to go though (chapter 3). I think I'm around mid to high 40s map completion.

Bladenic

This is just one person's tweet but this tweet said that there's actually missing voiced dialogue in the game. Anyone who's played both JP and EN versions have any input? It would be weird that NISA, a company far bigger than Xseed, would cut corners like that.

The translation is not horrible, it's way better than NISA's Ys VIII translation for sure. There are some technical issues with the localization, like text not being formatted correctly inside the text boxes, and it's not XSEED quality but it is above average.

Aeana

This is just one person's tweet but this tweet said that there's actually missing voiced dialogue in the game. Anyone who's played both JP and EN versions have any input? It would be weird that NISA, a company far bigger than Xseed, would cut corners like that.
NISA has been releasing partial English dubs of games for a very long time, do that would not be weird or surprising.

Begaria

There is. I'm playing with the English voice acting, and there was one single flashback cutscene that used Japanese voice acting, rather than the English voice acting that I had on. It's the only instance so far, even though I'm almost finished with the game, of it happening.

welp, now i'm sure 100% i'm not gonna do the platinum.... to much time to waste to get it (100 % item completion rate for exemple)

i'll be okay with the secrets bosses!

question :

missing one quest in eternia, guess that's the post-game dungeon? the door on the floor of the lava area?

also where do i get the last big fish? The only fish i'm missing

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Shoebill

That's nothing, the worst is,
BROTHER ADOL BROTHER HUMMEL SISTER LAXIA SISTER DANA

The superior thing to me while super stupid I at least find a little funny

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not sure of what to make of (chapter 5 spoilers)
okeanos fight. It definitely up there with my less favourites fights of the game

I should have seen this before. It might had helped making this fight more fun to me. I just seated back flash guarding forever.
it really sucks because if you can't at least almost get to the red bar the second phase is super tedious and the 3rd phase isn't really something you want to deal with for an extended period

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ho yeah i forgot about this one, never wore it because of the movement
It's useful on some bosses that are more agressive and don't require a lot of movement to chase down. But it works best on hummel in general just because of judgement shot and his ult being as strong as it is already. Like if I used it on that boss I linked earlier I'm pretty sure it would have been over in almost 30 seconds instead of a minute as long as he didn't run a lot

ys45

That's nothing, the worst is,
BROTHER ADOL BROTHER HUMMEL SISTER LAXIA SISTER DANA

The superior thing to me while super stupid I at least find a little funny

Yeah that too sounded funny I mean when you know Japanese culture you understand why he is saying this but they could have at least made an effort to localize this and use another term.

Oh well, at least we get to play the game in functional English.

Oh shit you passed me haha

I didn't; I saw your post before: Gameplay spoilers
The message appears from the moment you try to save in the past before getting Dana's light form, which is awesome by the way. Do we know if you can get Dana's forms in the present or ng+?.

Edit: O wow guess I'm having a little peek of a what no item run is
I only have like two antidotes with dana for this part

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I didn't; I saw your post before: Gameplay spoilers
The message appears from the moment you try to save in the past before getting Dana's light form, which is awesome by the way. Do we know if you can get Dana's forms in the present or ng+?.
Oh no clue how I missed that LOL
not sure I'd imagine that stuff is exclusive to her part of the game unless there is an acessory or item she can equip to force her into those stances in the main game

Edit: are you fighting the first boss after you get
Light form? He's not too bad :)

Top Bottom