• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 is outpacing previous installments, Switch sales are strong

SteamSpy is still a little on the low side showing 4,101 ± 1,890 so it looks like PS4 (PS4 is out Tuesday) and Switch are leading the charge here. It's an outstanding game and quite possibly the very best indie I've ever played. Buy it people!
qYhsamK.png

1RsbSrR.png
https://www.twitter.com/ImageForm/status/912029424584986624
https://www.twitter.com/ImageForm/status/912029924738945024

Here are the eShop charts for Europe and America (you need to drop the basketball and grab the pickaxe America)

I'm really glad it's selling well. Image and Form are such great developers and I've enjoyed what I've played of their releases since the first SteamWorld Dig. I'm feeling the urge to play some more of Dig 2, but I played so much that my Switch needed to recharge.

So I hate to sound ignorant but I'm a new Switch owner and what exactly is this game? Is it kind of like Spelunky or am I way off? I watched a couple of trailers but for some reason I'm just not getting it and I'd love to know what it's about so I can potentially make it my next purchase

Plum

Haven't played as much of it as I hoped for, but what I haved played has been absolutely brilliant. Image & Form are really one of the best indie developers around, and this success is well-deserved.

So I hate to sound ignorant but I'm a new Switch owner and what exactly is this game? Is it kind of like Spelunky or am I way off? I watched a couple of trailers but for some reason I'm just not getting it and I'd love to know what it's about so I can potentially make it my next purchase

Dig Dug x Metroid

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Very happy for their success, I’d love more Steamworld games in any genre they tackle.

This also seems to mean that NBA is a hit ok Switch as well. Madden 19 incoming.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I haven't picked it up yet because it'd bother me having Trophies for the previous games and not for this one, but as soon as it hits PSN, it'll be mine.

Image & Form is easily one of my favorite indie studios. Heist is one of the best SRPGs of the last few years.

JordanKZ

Dig Dug x Metroid

Bingo. This pretty much sums the game up to a tee. It's a really well crafted game, with an interesting world, and great progression.

dLMN8R

Nah, not like Spelunky. It's instead an action / RPG-lite game where the main gamplay cycle has you digging deeper to get new abilities and gems you can sell to buy and earn new abilities that let you go elsewhere.

It's more of a Metroidvania actually.

The first Steamworld Dig was already excellent and is free on Origin right now. Check it out!

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/steamworld/steamworld-dig/standard-edition

Good for them. I loved the original, so I'm looking forward to picking the PS versions up sometime soon. Probably not on day one because of my horrible backlog but this year.

Fireblend

Banned
Incredibly well deserved. With Dig 2, Image and Form has solidified itself as one of the most consistent developers in terms of quality and production values in the industry. One of those rare few developers whose games I'll buy on day 1 without hesitation. Can't wait for the next entry in the Steamworld series or whatever it is they decide to do next.

Now let's get started on a #HeistOnSwitch campaign. I'd love to replay that game on Switch. Dig 2 looks so good on the Switch screen, an upgraded Heist with similar visuals would be sweet.

Fireblend

Banned
The Metroid x Dig Dug description is right. It's a sidescroller in an interconnected overworld in which progression is locked behind upgrades you get throughout the game. It looks beautiful, controls are really, really good, music is by the Hotline Miami composer (El Huervo) and the writing/humor is super good. There's also this gameplay loop that involves digging through various mines, gathering resources to upgrade your equipment and finding self-contained challenges that are more platforming based that complements those core Metroidvania elements super well.

It's the best indie I've played this game by far. I have yet to play Hollow Knight which I also can't wait for on Switch, but I'm so pleased with this game right now. It also has what's got to be one of the most fun to use hookshots in gaming ever.

Of course it is outpacing, the last one was on vita and wiiu xD
Weird how people forget. The original Steam World Dig was developed as a 3DS exclusive and remained so for the better part of a year. The PC/PS3/Vita/Wii U ports came much later.

It's only after reviews rolled in that the game's popularity grew. Prerelease, the only bit of marketing was an interview with Nintendolife.

Stopdoor

Man, Steam World Dig was legit great but I haven't touched their games since, I wonder if I should bite the bullet.

It really nailed movement in a way a lot of indie games don't always, by the end of the game you felt like Mega Man X, wall jumping around.

Man, Steam World Dig was legit great but I haven't touched their games since, I wonder if I should bite the bullet.

It really nailed movement in a way a lot of indie games don't always, by the end of the game you felt like Mega Man X, wall jumping around.

SteamWorld Dig 2 controls even better. It's fun to simply move around in this game and as Fireblend said, it has the best hookshot in gaming!

Fireblend

Banned

Steamworld Dig 2 controls unnaturally good. The comparison with MMX and it's wall jumping is really accurate, but the traversal options in D2 really make the control scheme shine. Ori and the Blind Forest is the other game that comes to mind that feels this good to play.

Also, props for being one of the few Switch games with control customization/button mapping settings.

phanphare

Banned
good for them they deserve it. an amazing sequel that's one of the best games of the year so far.

hopefully the PS4 release helps them even more

Noogy

They should be really happy with what they've created here, it's excellent. I hadn't played the original since that originally launched, so I forgot how much I miss their flavor of platforming/adventure.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
News of the day... 4 hours in and I love it. Kudos to some of the devs out there.

Top Bottom