• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

ninja20-20shadow20of2zcu8f.jpg

Never beat this game because it was so hard.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm gonna have to do a collection pic.. My collection is decent.

entremet

Namco was so good on PS1--The Tekkens, Ace Combats, Ridge Racer games, Namco Museum, which were amazing due to the exhibits, which weren't found in later collections, Klonoa, Soul Blade, and Time Crisis ports. So good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Namco was so good on PS1--The Tekkens, Ace Combats, Ridge Racer games, Namco Museum, which were amazing due to the exhibits, which weren't found in later collections, Klonoa, Soul Blade, and Time Crisis ports. So good.
The wierd thing was how obscure Namco was during the 16-bit era. When they started doing Ridge Racers and Tekkens it was like "the Pac-Man guys? Uh, ok.."

dokish

Banned
Never beat this game because it was so hard.

Damn... I though I was the only people on Earth that played this. None of my friends never knew about this game.

It was SOOO GOOD. I actually played a few months ago on the PSP, and it holds QUITE WELL, believe me. So challenging still.

Carnby

I kinda want to play D again for some reason.

D is a great game that gets undeserved hate. It's a FMV game that isn't about playing it, but more so experiencing it. Collecting all of the beetles reveals a very disturbing scene. And the ending is fantastic. It's a shame about the "Laura.... Laura... LAURA!!!" parts.

The Chef

Great thread.
It would be helpful to include some more info on what emulation is all about and how to do it. I'd personally appreciate that.

Lots of people playing on vita which is awesome. If pay $100 if they would give me Kinga Field is be set. Recently I replayed Wild Arms to nearly 100% completion and had a blast doing it. I was always a little skeptical if I'd really enjoy replaying old RPGs but that proved it for me.
Thinking about jumping into Alundra next.

I was going to buy Tales of Destiny 2, but $140 for it is just too much. I guess I shoulda bought it when it was $70 a few years ago. I guess I'll buy the PSP version, seeing as its only $50.

I didn't think there was really much interest in that game.

It goes for that much now? I remember getting it in 2005/2006 at Toys R Us for $20.

Legendary console. I don't have it or its games with me now, but I have the fondest memories about it (which I'll keep forever). It made the PlayStation brand my leading force in gaming.

d+pad

Wonderful console, wonderful catalog of games. Not sure if I'd call it my favorite console ever, but it's up there.

Some import games well worth checking out, IMO: Engacho!, Loopop Cube: Lup Salad, Ore no Ryouri, Sexy Parodius, Umihara Kawase. Rakugaki Showtime's also a nice one, although due to its high asking price on eBay I'd suggest picking it up via PSN instead.

One reason I love this system so much is that it has a high volume of bat-shit crazy games :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dope, I've never seen this thread. You guys might appreciate some of my Symphony of the Night GIFs.

iX0Xkm17zkWt5.gif

ipaO5y83UkAJ3.gif

ilEUZQgcV8gtt.gif

tearsofash

I feel like An asshole for never buying Tail Concerto. I played the PS Underground import demo of it tons, but never bought it.msame with Tomba. I'd also love a chance to play through Legend of Legaia again.

Stoffinator

Talking about good games, Gran Turismo 2.

dxR5RGJ.png

• A soundtrack that sticks in your head.
  • Has cars from one of the best eras in automotive history.
  • Tracks fans have been begging to put in later games.
  • So many cars to collect and race with.
  • Cheap to get today.
  • Gameplay held up to the test of time.
  • More Nissan Skyline variants than the mind can handle

We need these on Vita!

baphomet

I got mine in December of 95 for Christmas. I bought Tekken and Mortal Kombat 3 around launch because I knew I was getting it in a few months. I read the manuals front to back so many times I knew 2 of the most convulted stories for fighting games before I could even play them at home. Come Christmas morning I opened it up and realized it didn't have anything for an RF connection. So I had this amazing piece of hardware and no way to play it. Mom came through and said she thought her camcorder has something that would work. Sure enough thanks to it being a Sony camcorder it worked and I spend the rest of Christmas break playing those 2 games. Next game I bought was Jumping Flash and then Twisted Metal on launch day. I loved that system so much.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
sorry for image quality
vnf9qq.jpg

16bllhz.jpg

I'm sure I had more but they seem to went missing when I moved house
as you can see, I like sequels

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Great thread.
Indeed! Probably my favourite gaming platform, honestly. Though I have a soft spot for the Sega Saturn. Ah, those were the days... <3

Recently I replayed Wild Arms to nearly 100% completion and had a blast doing it. I was always a little skeptical if I'd really enjoy replaying old RPGs but that proved it for me.
Me too, that game held up really nicely. I have the disc but I got the free version for my PSP and played it on the plane a lot, haha.

My modest PSX collection:

My brother had some more games, like Medievil or RE: Director's Cut, which he kept when I moved out (I re-bought some of those like FFT and Silent Hill), so this is what I have at home. I also bought BoF4 on PSN.

Legacy of Kain FTW!

Edit: Oh, the Suikoden 1 version I have is the North American version, actually. But the Japanese cover was such a million times better than I printed it and replaced the horrid American cover with it. :D

Thank you for taking the time to create this thread OP. This is easily my favorite console. Here is my collection so far. I am still missing many key titles and would like to replace my GH for BL whenever I get the chance but otherwise I am quite satisfied with it.

Sbjabce.jpg

YkuFdJn.jpg

yiX9HFv.jpg

MbjHIaI.jpg

tiXQsVt.jpg

sn00zer

Im really hoping by next year they just blow up the PSOne classics selection..... seems like such a simple investment oppurtunity to rerelease an old game on PSN...no idea why more companies dont do it...especially lost franchises that will never get a sequel or remake

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Im really hoping by next year they just blow up the PSOne classics selection..... seems like such a simple investment oppurtunity to rerelease an old game on PSN...no idea why more companies dont do it...especially lost franchises that will never get a sequel or remake

Vic Ireland was saying a while back that there are a bunch of games that companies might want to put out on PSN, but that they just can't do because it'd be prohibitively expensive, especially when you factor in licenses and stuff. As I recall, he said that even putting Arc the Lad on PSN was a complete pain in the ass and barely worth it. I'll try to dig the quote up. But I imagine that sort of stuff accounts for a lot of it.

Edit: This thread covers it pretty well: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409581

sn00zer

Vic Ireland was saying a while back that there are a bunch of games that companies might want to put out on PSN, but that they just can't do because it'd be prohibitively expensive, especially when you factor in licenses and stuff. As I recall, he said that even putting Arc the Lad on PSN was a complete pain in the ass and barely worth it. I'll try to dig the quote up. But I imagine that sort of stuff accounts for a lot of it.

Edit: This thread covers it pretty well: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409581
Im surprised Sony hasnt figured out a way to make the process easier like they have with indies

dokish

Banned
That's a beautiful collection papersleeves. If I had to start one myself, I'd probably buy almost the same games.

Street Sk8er - While everybody was playing Tony Hawk, i spent countless hours in this game! The OST is sooo good.

What's the name of the game in the right side of Grandia?

Can you tell a bit about that Rhapsody RPG?

I remembered another gem... The best underrated RPG for me:

legaiacover.jpg

My favorite console of all time. And I like those ugly ass polygons!

I have over 80 games physical games, not including the ones I have on PSN. That would probably take it to over 100. It's not the most extensive collection out there, but what I have is pretty damn good. The only rpg I'm really missing from my collection is Suikoden II. Which hurts. Someday I may splurge and pick it up online.

vireland

Im surprised Sony hasnt figured out a way to make the process easier like they have with indies

I think Sony in America as a whole is moving that direction. The problem is they were so screwed up from the horrible internal issues during the PS2 era that stretched into the first part of the PS3 that the really cool, energetic people who came on fairly recently that are pushing for a more open, successful Sony (even more than the PS1 era) are just pulled in many directions. They can't do it all at once, and they're doing more with less experienced staff. So I chalk it up to (re)growing pains, and am hopeful it will continue to improve. I'm very bullish on the vibe that Sony is putting out over the last 18 months or so. It *feels* a lot like the Phil Harrison era of Playstation 1, and that's a very, very good thing.

vireland

Thank you for taking the time to create this thread OP. This is easily my favorite console. Here is my collection so far. I am still missing many key titles and would like to replace my GH for BL whenever I get the chance but otherwise I am quite satisfied with it.

Your LUNAR2 outer box looks kind of rough. Want a brand new one? PM me.

That's a beautiful collection papersleeves. If I had to start one myself, I'd probably buy almost the same games.

Thanks!

Street Sk8er - While everybody was playing Tony Hawk, i spent countless hours in this game! The OST is sooo good.

You bet it is! Not to say that I dislike the Tony Hawk Pro Skater series (I love it actually) but Street Sk8er will always have a special place in my fond memories. The OST is boss.

Jade Cocoon. Great JRPG with a concept similar to Pokémon where you have to catch monsters.

It is a a light strategy JRPG based on the Marl Kingdom universe. As the title suggest, the main theme is Music. You get to hear lots of voiced song. In the same family as Princess Crown or La Pucelle:Tactics. The gameplay is liek an adventure game where combat are like mini turn-based strategy rpg battles like Disagea of FFT. Great game but beware as it is a bit kiddy/cute.

legaiacover.jpg

Yes I still miss it. I hate this game as much as I like it haha!

isual

legaiacover.jpg

this must have been one of the longest jrpgs on ps1. holy crap. 50 hours for a single player game

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm notice one thing, everyone seems to have a lot the same games lol

Good job on the thread!

More people need to play Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete...such a fun game. Didn't like Eternal Blue as much but it was certainly funnier.

entremet

I know its heresy in these parts, but I had way more fun on my PS1 than PS2. JRPGs weren't as bloated as well during the PS1 days. But when the PS2 came along the genre started getting padded.

VP1, the PSOne FFs, Breath Fires, etc., all were not super long slugfest, however, they could be.

Rikkun

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I never really liked the Ps1 but I could use some new games for my Vita (and maybe cheaper cards, damn Sony).

Also, I was searching info about Tron Bonne.. I have a PAL copy, bought from a pawn shop for 5€, maybe without booklet.. But I can't find a price :(

And I didn't even like the game :(

yeah but they screwed around with the dithering .. the dithering is different on those devices compared to a original ps1. Not a big deal but it bugs me.
Not a lot of people talk about this, but I have to agree. Emulation on the PS2 and PS3 are ok for PS1 games, but they look best when playing on an original system.

Awesome thread. Subscribed.

I posted this in a pickups thread awhile ago, but here it is again. My little bundle of portable joy:

DSC06520.jpg

Doubles as a super ghetto arcade setup (also a repost):

minicab.jpg

...and yes, that is a Sakura memory card sticker from an OPM issue.

Ivan

This is how I played Red Alert Retaliation :D. I wanted a PC, but still enjoyed it on PS1. Many friends played it on a gamepad, who gives a shit :).

raton.jpg

a7_d_14996_0_.jpg

WarCraft II: The Dark Saga didn't support it, unfortunately.

Total NBA (Shoot Out in USA) was my favourite basketball game. Countless hours with friends after school. Especially 97. Studio London made them, which is interesting. I really wish we still had basketball games like that.

572496_10947_front.jpg

1811154-box_nbaso97.png

I didn't own a ton of PS1 games. I rented a lot from Blockbuster, and bought the ones I really liked. I put the most time into Einhander and Soul Blade. Among my other favorites are listed below.

A few other points. Einhander is available on the Japanese PSN side. Its the better version of the game, as they made some baffling changes on the N.A. version. I own both versions of the game.

Be wary of some PS1 titles available on PSN Store. These conversions don't always end up playing like their original. I bought Bloody Roar II on PSN, and there is horrendous slowdown when you transform into your beast form and do combos. Makes the game nearly unplayable. Do your homework before you buy. I almost wish we had a 24hr "try it out option". Its a shame they would put up a game in such a working state.

Rollcage for the PC is way better then the PS1 port. Graphically and it includes LAN play. The best non-Mario Kart or Wipeout game with fantastic physics and weapons to boot.

Einhander(JPN)

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Moleculoman/media/eb6502e7-60ac-49d6-ab1a-191ba3cfe154.jpg.html][/URL]

Soul Edge (aka Soul Blade)

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Moleculoman/media/3fd26414-8663-47fe-a0da-ef13f08155e4.jpg.html][/URL]

Bloody Roar 1 & 2

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Moleculoman/media/Bloody_Roar_Coverart.png.html][/URL][URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Moleculoman/media/6bc60f41-f10e-461a-a510-fddf908a0e12.jpg.html][/URL]

GEKIDO

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Moleculoman/media/Gekido.jpg.html][/URL]

ROLLCAGE

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Moleculoman/media/256px-RollcageBox.jpg.html][/URL]

LEGACY OF KAIN: SOUL REAVER

Myriadis

I currently have exactly two games for the PS1.
Heart of Darkness (great artstyle and excellent atmosphere, but horrible FMVs and awful controls)
Metal Gear Solid (good game, but the german dub is the worst dub I ever heard)

I'm planning to get at least one Crash Bandicoot and Spyro game and I just bought Vagrant Story, but what are good RPGs released in Europe that don't cost too much for this system? Squaresoft sucked for the SNES/PS1 era in Europe and they many games never got released. And some of these who got released are often incredibly expensive (maybe due to making not enough copies?)

This is how I played Red Alert Retaliation :D. I wanted a PC, but still enjoyed it on PS1.

raton.jpg

Ohhh man. This + Quake II on the PS1 is godlike. That game is bananas. You can hook up two multitaps, 4 mice, and 4 controllers and play 4 player splitscreen where everyone has a mouse configuration.

Teknoman

Current stuff:

iMHPWJftmH1jB.jpg

The DVD cased games have either had damaged cases (unfortunately...wish I had the originals) or improper cases (non multi disc).

Kartia "thanks to the Free to a good home thread" back in 2011? But the rest (in original cases anyway) i've had for awhile now (except Lunar).

Stuff that i'd like to have:

Ape Escape
Einhander
Suikoden I
Suikoden II
R-Type Delta
Tomba
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Xenogears
Alundra
Alundra 2
Front Mission 3
Vandal Hearts
Legend of Legaia
Wild Arms
Wild Arms 2

EDIT: Forgot that i've got Silent Hill 1 and Bloody Roar 1, but they were in the other room at the time (was trying to buff out the scratches abit). Some of the wants i've got digital via PS1, but i'd like physical copies.

Was Dragon Valor any good? I remember the cover looking cool, but thats about it.

Top Bottom