• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V is Getting Hammered By Steam User Reviews. "Save Open IV" Petition over 40k

bud23

DCh8WAmWAAEH5wP.jpg

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/statu...ef_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://steamspy.com/

3MqpHEj.png

screen shamelessly stolen from reddit

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/Grand_Theft_Auto_V/

"Save Open IV" petition on Change.org has already been signed by 42k people and counting

Maybe it´s time for Rockstar to update their pathetic statement full of lies, and treat their fans with some respect

Bring The Benz back if old

T2 Employee: Sir! The Steam rating just dipped to Mixed. MIXED!

T2 Exec: *pauses counting money* Oh? Huh. *resumes counting money.

BobLoblaw

Banned
But everyone's already bought the game. This should've been a thing years ago. We all saw where it was going to GTA:O. :|

I don't support Rockstar/Take Two's decision but man this is just another example of why Steam reviews are such trash.

How else can fans express their disapproval for their actions? Being passive gets you nowhere, being vocal about things sends a message.

I myself am not fond of utilizing Steam reviews in questionable ways, as at this point you're not exactly reviewing the game. Fortunately there are many reviews already written on Steam prior to recent events if you wanted to view them.

As I mentioned in another thread:

If you don't say anything people will just walk all over you, or be oblivious to certain things.

Vocal communities like this are good, if the reviews have to get hammered then so be it. It's about sending a message.

Vocal communities opened Bandai Namco's and Sega's eyes to the market available on the PC, they expressed their disapproval for paid mods which caused them to get pulled. (Which may have recently made a return).

There are many other things vocal communities have done which have lead to positive things.

What became of some of them? Sega brought more games to PC, Dark Souls and it's sequels came to PC, many publishers have since acknowledged that there is a huge market for their games on PCs, and that's because the community was vocal about it.

EDIT: I would like to mention that I am for the concept of compensating mod creators, how a lot of people handled the paid mods thing was wrong, including attacking mod creators for getting involved and advocating for it's removal entirely. This was actually a bad thing overall, as adjustments weren't made to the system and people had conflicting interests. Perhaps this is a showcase of a bad outcome from the vocal community?

My issue with it was that I thought the cut of mod creators was a bit low. Mods have helped sell copies of games, an example would be a mod such as DayZ for Arma 2.

Fortunately it appears to have returned in a more polished state, with Bethesda's Creators Club, I'd like to see what becomes of it.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Why do people assume big companies don't care about profits because they're already making bank? I promise you Take 2 would rather make 11billion than 10 next year.

(That being said I don't think this particular issue probably concerns them much)

Just don't buy thier next game if you don't like what they are doing. They don't make good games imo.

They use to make good games with midnight club, bully.

How else can fans express their disapproval for their actions? Being passive gets you nowhere, being vocal about things sends a message.

Halve their shark card revenue from the PC version of the game. That is the way you can have a clear impact unlike other wishy washy methods like vague boycotts or some negative reviews which won't impact their bottom line.

Kssio_Aug

Halve their shark card revenue from the PC version of the game. That is the way you can have a clear impact unlike other wishy washy methods like vague boycotts or some negative reviews which won't impact their bottom line.

Vastly negative reviews may impact their sales from now on. And it's a good way to send the message. I think that's a good form of protest in this situation.

Right. And how exactly would one consumer go about this? To tell the sharks to stop dropping money?

I'd be happy to wait while you come up with a way.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Vastly negative reviews may impact their sales from now on. And it's a good way to send the message. I think that's a good form of protest in this situation.

It's a stupid way. This childish behaviour will just make Valve kill reviews for good, the only working curation of content there is. All Rockstar will think is PC gaming was a mistake. It's not like they need those 8 out of 80 million sales. And I guess the majority of users are pretty damn thankful in the first place for stopping mods, because only a minority uses them and they don't like being griefed upon, which is why Rockstar shut down Open IV in the first place. This is just a vocal stupid minority abusing the review system. Go to Twitter, send nuts to their office, do what normal people do.

RedHill

Banned
They've made so much money from the game and it's almost four years old, who gives a shit if people are modding it? Especially since they've done nothing to update single player

What was the mod? I've seen Skyrim mods that shouldn't be allowed to exist, some enforcement from developers isn't a bad thing.

GlamFM

Banned
This will hurt R* badly. Millions of people are still on the fence and looking at steam reviews for guidance.

R* is probably in full panic mode right now.

It's a stupid way. This childish behaviour will just make Valve kill reviews for good, the only working curation of content there is.

Voicing your opinion as a consumer is not childish, and no they won't do that because of a single game, no matter how popular that game is.

All Rockstar will think is PC gaming was a mistake. It's not like they need those 8 out of 80 million sales. And I guess the majority of users are pretty damn thankful in the first place for stopping mods, because only a minority uses them and they don't like being griefed upon, which is why Rockstar shut down Open IV in the first place. This is just a vocal stupid minority abusing the review system. Go to Twitter, send nuts to their office, do what normal people do.

OpenIV disabled multiplayer so griefeing other players was impossible, unless you hacked the mod itself, but if you are going to go through that much trouble to grief other players, there are other multiplayer friendly tools which didn't get a C&D.

This will hurt R* badly. Millions of people are still on the fence and looking at steam reviews for guidance.

R* is probably in full panic mode right now.

Why so sarcastic? Why act like this isn't a dick move on Take2's part especially since Rockstar has featured mods on their blog advocating its use?

Kssio_Aug

It's a stupid way. This childish behaviour will just make Valve kill reviews for good, the only working curation of content there is. All Rockstar will think is PC gaming was a mistake. It's not like they need those 8 out of 80 million sales. And I guess the majority of users are pretty damn thankful in the first place for stopping mods, because only a minority uses them and they don't like being griefed upon, which is why Rockstar shut down Open IV in the first place. This is just a vocal stupid minority abusing the review system. Go to Twitter, send nuts to their office, do what normal people do.

Do you really think Valve is going to kill reviews because people are protesting in the reviews for a tremenduous stupidity of Take 2? And people are writing it there "good game, but removing mod support is insulting". And you can bet that this minority is very expressive if this is having such an impact. There's nothing childish in expressing your opinion about a game you bought, specially in this low move situation.

sn00zer

This means absolutely nothing since everyone who wants GTA5 has it already so its not like they are going to lose sales.

Permanently A

So how are R* and Take Two supposed to know that halved revenue is a result of a protest against banning mods?

MUnited83

For you.

"Griefed upon" WHAT THE FUCK? You realize that OpenIV doesn't, and hasn't ever worked online, yes?

It's also hardly childish behaviour. The game is shit without mods. I wouldn't recommend anyone the game without them. I wouldn't recommend even more supporting any kind of low piece of shit like Take Two that threatens people with legal action because of mods. The negative reviews are deserved.

Glasshole

Banned

It's this anticipatory obedience stance that prevents us from having nice things. "Let us not anger Valve or Rockstar! Let us be civil! Their feelings will be hurt!"

This is a fucking business. They will not retract from PC gaming, and Valve will not kill off their only working curation system, as you yourself called it. Grow up and start thinking strategically instead of shoving your head in the sand. They pulled a HUGE dick move, modding files that you bought (except cheating) is NOT illegal, and changing the rules after you bought the product probably is. They absolutely should feel the backlash.

This means absolutely nothing since everyone who wants GTA5 has it already so its not like they are going to lose sales.

And yet its still every month in the charts.

Dont get it either. Stop buying GTA 5, Minecraft and last years FIFA already.

Top Bottom