• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

Lime

big-boss-saluteduzmv.jpg

I am surprised no one has posted the image

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
As someone who doesn't have a history with the series, but recently bought the HD collection on sale, he seemed like a bad voice actor.

I'm honestly thinking it's more Kojima trolling. I won't believe he's not in the game until after I've beaten it four times, gotten the platinum, and watched all the way after the credits.

Yeah, it upset me too. I don't really know what to think about it. The game is looking and sounding great, but no Hayter is something I'm really not okay with.

It's not Metal Gear Solid 5, it's Metal Gear Solid V. There has to be a reason for the V after using numbers for the other 3.
The unveiling of this game is a rabbit hole and we're still falling.

kubus

My memory of the MGS storyline is extremely vague, but, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (the MSX ones) take place after Peace Walker right?

The destruction in the trailer looks like Outer Heaven from Peace Walker, which is destroyed at the end of Metal Gear 2?

So, where does MGSV take place in the storyline? To me it looks like the end of Metal Gear 2, when Solid Snake "kills" Big Boss. Would that explain why he's in a coma? If so, that confirms that Solid Snake can be in this game... right?

Sorry if this all bullshit, I recently played through the games again but my memory of them isn't really that clear anymore :[

edit: Ah, just remembered that Outer Heaven = Metal Gear and Zanzibar = Metal Gear 2

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Kevin Conroy is Batman
Peter Cullen is Optimus Prime
David Hayter is Snake/Big Boss

Others may fill those roles admirably but those are exclusively the voices i associate in my ind with those characters. Unless there is a good story/game reason for the change (or him just pulling the swerve and being solid snake), it will be a pretty tough pill to swallow for me, personally.

Sephzilla

Seriously? You wouldn't buy the game simply because they changed the voice actor?

It wont stop me from buying the game (unless the new VA is something horrible) but changes to VAs personally bug me -alot-. I still am not happy they changed Cole's VA for inFamous 2.

I can't take these No Hayter No Buy posts seriously. If you're into the game because of a single voice actor, then maybe the game isn't for you in the first place?

lucius

His best performance was MGS1 imo, he was almost over acting in the other games but maybe that was Kojima's fault for his direction?

It's not Metal Gear Solid 5, it's Metal Gear Solid V. There has to be a reason for the V after using numbers for the other 3.

They're calling Big Boss "V" for some reason. Someone said (paraphrase) "V has woken up".

I thought the bandaged guy was Kiefer Sutherland.

Seems like the both are. Brace for Tyler Durden-esque plot twist.

Does anyone know how far along the game is? Is it coming out this year? Maybe they are still doing casting. Previously, wasn't Hayter cast late in production on MGS4 and Peace Walker?

Celestial

Banned
Hayter is Snake.End of story.It is sad he will not be in this one.Hope the new voice delivers although i become too fond of Hayter :(

PolishQ

There's the whole "V has come to" thing, so they're definitely going for a double meaning with the V in the title.

Paradicia

The next splinter cell and metal gear solid games will be without their iconic voice actors - Michael Ironside and now David Hayter.

Having said that MI was getting old and he was brought in as an advisory figure for the role but in this case Hayter looks like he's being left out to dry.

jett

D-Member
One of the worst voice actors in the industry, it's no wonder he never worked in another franchise. MGS1 was the last/only time he put in some effort.

I'm extremely glad he's gone.

Salaadin

Im really torn on this. Hayter IS Snake to me but he was definitely slipping. I think it was more of their direction than his acting that made him sound so weird, though.

Jb

:/ This seriously blows. He's probably one of the most iconic voiced characters in gaming. Maybe this is temporary, there was no Snake voice over during the proper trailer.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
lol you guys actually think they would treat David Hayter this way? Look at the guy, he has Snake as his avatar and background pic on Twitter. He was in a video produced by Kojima for the 20th anniversary.

You are all being played again.

Raynes

Hayter needs to stop being a little bitch. Kojima does not think he has a place in the plot, why can't he respect that instead of making childish polls asking whether people want him as Snake.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nothing of value was lost with Hayter's departure. BB is getting older in this part of the story, and they need to move to a new voice-actor [MGS4].

Hayter needs to stop being a little bitch. Kojima does not think he has a place in the plot, why can't he respect that instead of making childish polls asking whether people want him as Snake.

Really? I can completely understand that the guy would feel rubbed a little the wrong way considering the time he's given to the series. Kojima didn't have to include him, that's the creators decision, but I'd at least talk to Hayter about the reasoning.

macewank

Hayter didn't voice Big Boss in MGS 4.. not sure why people expect that he'd voice Big Boss in 5.

People need to remember the only reason he did the voices in MGS 3 was because that big boss was the same age/era as Solid Snake was in 1/2. This is not a Big Boss from that age/era. He's older. It's a different voice and a different character.

Doesn't make sense to cast him in this game.

Mr. RHC

I even hope this is true, this "V has come to" still confuses me.

Takao

Banned
If this isn't just another Kojima ruse I'll miss him, but at the same time he was never all that great of an actor.

Salaadin

Hayter never had a place in any Metal gear plot. Snake, however, did. And Hayter has played every Snake except for Old Big Boss at the end of MGS4. I think he has a right to be a little salty.

Top Bottom