• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Dragon Age (I Suck)

Kurtofan said:
There are other dragons in this game? :shudder:

Flemeth(Morrigan's "mother")
and an optional fight in the dungeon that holds Andraste's ashes.

The latter being the most difficult.

Also one of the DLCs, but I never fought that one.

Arjen

I had the same problem, bumped it down to easy until i got a healer.
Which was the last place i went..
Terrible design decission imho.

Damn, this thread is reminding me of all the awesome shit in this game that I loved to death. The dungeon with the ashes was so fucking bad ass.

ksamedi

Grayman said:
It took me Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and KOTOR to figure out that I don't like their type of wrpg much at all.

I still do want to try baulder's gate when I have time though, so I have not yet learned my lesson.

I can't imagine anyone not liking Baldurs Gate 2. Its the best game ever made.

RedSwirl

Okay this Revenant dude at the castle gate is pretty bullshit as well. Even when we totally isolate him it's not like my party can do any damage.

He seems to be immune to all tipes of stun or freeze magic (Vulnerability Hex works for like two seconds). He wipes out my party members faster than they can heal. All of our attacks either miss or do 1 damage.

To reiterate I have two rogues, a mage, and a warrior.

RedSwirl said:
Okay this Revenant dude at the castle gate is pretty bullshit as well. Even when we totally isolate him it's not like my party can do any damage.

He seems to be immune to all tipes of stun or freeze magic (Vulnerability Hex works for like two seconds). He wipes out my party members faster than they can heal. All of our attacks either miss or do 1 damage.

kite the skeletons before you fight the Revenant.

It's fairly simple if you follow the typical tank, damage dealer, healer strategy.

RedSwirl

Hasphat'sAnts said:
kite the skeletons before you fight the Revenant.

It's fairly simple if you follow the typical tank, damage dealer, healer strategy.

The what? And by kite you mean kill right?

RedSwirl said:
The what? And by kite you mean kill right?

Basically the tank is the one that holds the enemy and receives all/most of the damage, the warrior with the right abilities can do it (and a shield)

The damage dealers as suggest means the ones that does the damage and are focused on the offense, basically the two rogue

And the healer should be in this case the mage.which should use curative spells.

Of course depending on how you evolved your characters you may have some problems asigning those roles.

RedSwirl

Relaxed Muscle said:
Basically the tank is the one that holds the enemy and receives all/most of the damage, the warrior with the right abilities can do it (and a shield)

The damage dealers as suggest means the ones that does the damage and are focused on the offense, basically the two rogue

And the healer should be in this case the mage.which should use curative spells.

Of course depending on how you evolved your characters you may have some problems asigning those roles.

Not sure. Alistar dies almos faster than I can heal him, and the Revenant's attack damages multiple targets. This is all AFTER I've isolated him.

RedSwirl said:
Not sure. Alistar dies almos faster than I can heal him, and the Revenant's attack damages multiple targets. This is all AFTER I've isolated him.

I should be explained this better. The Revenant shows up with a bunch of skeletons when you take the exit to get into the court yard, right? Now,what you'd need to do is to get the skeletons to see you and engage you, but not the Revenant, so that ideally, when you finally take on the Revenant, you're fighting only him.

I'm guessing you're playing Rogue, so hopefully you've leveled up Alistair with some tanking abilities. That means he should have relatively high HP, heavier armor for damage reduction, aggro skills like taunt or threaten, and disables like shield bash. You use an aggro skill like taunt so the Revenant comes after only Alistair. In the meantime you can position your rogues and mage to do back stabs or ranged attacks for damage. Keep Alistair alive to soak up damage is important, and if he dies faster than you do, well, you need to take extra precautions and buff him up before/during the fight so he can last longer. Remember you've got 4 guys in your party. Make smart use of all their abilities and you shouldn't have too much trouble with the fight.

tokkun

RedSwirl said:

Hit the switch that opens the castle gate and lets in the knights to assist you.

Kurtofan

Fimbulvetr said:
Flemeth(Morrigan's "mother")
and an optional fight in the dungeon that holds Andraste's ashes.

The latter being the most difficult.

Also one of the DLCs, but I never fought that one.
Seriously I'm on easy and I can't beat the fucking Archdemon, even with the full human army and the balistas :( :( :(
I believe I will never finish this game.
I know that's because I badly constructed my characters but then don't make the game ball crushingly hard right at the end to punish the player.
That's the definition of a bad design.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I don't understand how this made it out in the state it did. The difficulty spikes are fucking ridiculous, I had to bring the combat down to casual just to continue making progress which now makes it completely unfulfilling of fun. The map is stupid. The quest shit is flat out fucking broken the way you'll take a quest, get a random encounter pertinent to it hours fucking later, forget that it was even a quest, make a choice, likely the wrong one and keep on trucking without even realising it.

Yet... I still fucking love it :lol

Fuck you, Bioware!

careful

Archdemon in the courtyard was one of the toughest fights for me. I didn't have a healer yet for that part, because like many others, I felt like the story hinted that you do Redcliff as the first mission. Fail.

Kurtofan

Ok I need to know something.
How can I keep my allies close to me?
The fuckers get themselves killed because they run around alone like morons.

RedSwirl

tokkun said:
Hit the switch that opens the castle gate and lets in the knights to assist you.

Didn't know you could do that. I opened the gate in order to funnel enemies and then take out the archers at long rang which let me deal with the Revenant by himself, but when none of my party member scan do any damage to him... well...

careful said:
Archdemon in the courtyard was one of the toughest fights for me. I didn't have a healer yet for that part, because like many others, I felt like the story hinted that you do Redcliff as the first mission. Fail.

Wait what?!

RedSwirl

Kurtofan said:
Ok I need to know something.
How can I keep my allies close to me?
The fuckers get themselves killed because they run around alone like morons.

Try putting them into hold mode if you're trying to set up an ambush or funnel enemies or attack at range from a designated position.

vareon said:
Dammit now I want to play the game again. Sorry for going off-topic, but is The Awakening any good?

It's solid, if you enjoyed DA:O you'll like Awakenings. The NPCs aren't as good as the original but has some solid dungeons. It's really easy though, I ripped through it on nightmare without breaking a sweat.

Got this in the Steam sale too, and I can't believe I seem to have randomly made the right character decisions, for once. Picked a mage even though I usually play fighter types, and have been going with cold spells/debuffs just because I felt like pretending I was a Winter Warlock or something. My dude is clearly the battle MVP with Winter's Grasp and Cone Of Cold. Unfortunately Morrigan seems completely redundant at this point, though.

One thing I couldn't figure out--I had Alistair set to use a health poultice every time is health dropped below 50% in a particularly annoying battle, and he just... didn't. The poultices were in his quick bar, and the tactic was set to first priority, and I still had to micromanage him. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

Kurtofan said:
Seriously I'm on easy and I can't beat the fucking Archdemon, even with the full human army and the balistas :( :( :(
I believe I will never finish this game.
I know that's because I badly constructed my characters but then don't make the game ball crushingly hard right at the end to punish the player.
That's the definition of a bad design.

I'm not even sure my party was built properly.

All I had for my mage at that point was the first spell for each of the four elemental abilities(as well as the second earth and fire spells), a paralysis glyph that I kept forgetting to use, and some mass healing.

Also I used the item that increases your resistance to fire, for obvious reasons.

Kurtofan

Fimbulvetr said:
I'm not even sure my party was built properly.

All I had for my mage at that point was the first spell for each of the four elemental abilities(as well as the second earth and fire spells), a paralysis glyph that I kept forgetting to use, and some mass healing.

Also I used the item that increases your resistance to fire, for obvious reasons.
Problem is, Morrigan only has the first heal spell and I have only four potions

tokkun said:
Well if you do get stuck in the city, there is a trick you can use in the 2nd part of that battle. Basically, once the townspeople in the village square die, take your characters and run back up the hill, making sure the enemies follow you. The knights at the top of the hill will slaughter them. Go back down the hill and repeat until all the enemies are dead.

i tried that and they all followed me at once and killed all the knights. how i finally got through it is i positioned my squad at the top of the hill and used a rogue to shoot arrows and draw them up the hill one by one.

careful said:

You fought a giant dragon at Redcliffe? How is this even possible?

Kurtofan said:
Problem is, Morrigan only has the first heal spell and I have only four potions

You have Shale (The stone thing)? She is an awesome tank as I described, Morrigan barely had any heal spells and was having some problems with harder enemies, then I began to use Shale as tank and tough fights were way easier.

Though only four potions definetly can be a problem.

Effect

I found playing a Mage character first on the console version was a big mistake. Maybe I was doing something wrong (don't think so) but the point of view you have makes playing that class much harder then it should be. If one had the point of view that the PC version has things would flow a lot better. Picking commands and controlling the part would certainly be. I still kick myself for not going with the PC version instead but don't want to rebuy the game now. So I just push myself past certain parts. Kept pausing (well bringing up the menu) in order to properly fight. I never played a melee to any length but I assume the point of view and camera work a LOT better with those classes.

The Fade part was far to long though. I lost interest in the middle of that and have only recently come back to it. The pacing in the game overall was bad I felt. I might restart and try to pay more attention to the party AI then I originally did though.

tjohn86

I'm play Dragon Age after buying it during the steam sale. I'm loving it so far, but enemy mages can seriously kick my ass if I dont gang up on them early. Is there a better strategy for dealing with them?

My party is Allister, Morrigan (With Spirt Healer) and the rogue girl as an archer.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
tjohn86 said:
I'm play Dragon Age after buying it during the steam sale. I'm loving it so far, but enemy mages can seriously kick my ass if I dont gang up on them early. Is there a better strategy for dealing with them?

My party is Allister, Morrigan (With Spirt Healer) and the rogue girl as an archer.
Rush to Mana Clash.

tjohn86 said:

You just have to take them out of the fight as soon as possible. Try to paralyze them, knock them down, cone of cold to freeze them, etc.

Hilaho

Neo Member
Effect said:
I found playing a Mage character first on the console version was a big mistake. Maybe I was doing something wrong (don't think so) but the point of view you have makes playing that class much harder then it should be. If one had the point of view that the PC version has things would flow a lot better. Picking commands and controlling the part would certainly be. I still kick myself for not going with the PC version instead but don't want to rebuy the game now. So I just push myself past certain parts. Kept pausing (well bringing up the menu) in order to properly fight. I never played a melee to any length but I assume the point of view and camera work a LOT better with those classes.

The Fade part was far to long though. I lost interest in the middle of that and have only recently come back to it. The pacing in the game overall was bad I felt. I might restart and try to pay more attention to the party AI then I originally did though.

I loved playing as a mage my first time through. I think Arcane Warrior and blood mage were my two specializations and it was awesome. It's also rad to put AW on Wynne and let her go to town with heavy armor and a big assed sword. Then when you get Awakening the battlemage spec can replace blood mage and you're almost way too OP. I hate the Fade as well so I was happy to see the Skip the fade mod for PC. Almost makes it worth buying it again!

IoCaster

Gold Member
seady said:
I am not really into game with this kind of theme. Is this and Elder Scroll similar?

No similarity whatsoever unless you mean generic fantasy setting. Totally different gameplay with one being party based and the other solo adventuring.

Hilaho

Neo Member
Sir Garbageman said:
You just have to take them out of the fight as soon as possible. Try to paralyze them, knock them down, cone of cold to freeze them, etc.

Crushing Prison is God.

careful

RedSwirl said:
Wait what?!

Fimbulvetr said:
You fought a giant dragon at Redcliffe? How is this even possible?

Fail #1) The enemy name was Revenant in the courtyard.. :lol Haven't touched this since the beginning of the year and got my enemies confused. Archdemon... SMH. lol

Fail #2) I didn't realize my first time through that you could open the gates to let the other soldiers in the courtyard and help you out.

How many people customise all their party AI scripts? It's always the first thing I do, and I never found the game that difficult on the normal setting.

careful

lastplayed said:
How many people customise all their party AI scripts? It's always the first thing I do, and I never found the game that difficult on the normal setting.
I was customizing in the beginning, but later on I was mostly pausing and micro-managing everything all the time so the AI scripts became a bit useless for me.

Durante

lastplayed said:
I never once looked at the script part of the game, and I didn't find it all that difficult on (PC) hard.
(I had party AI completely disabled in every challenging battle)

Visceir

Cone of Cold makes all battles much more manageable. That + sleep later on. I love freezing and shattering enemies.

Patryn

lastplayed said:

I customized my scripts to ensure that my mages would use lyrium potions when their mana ran low, but I set it to the cheapest potion. Set that to Tactic 1.

Then I used alchemy until I had like 200 of the suckers (Infinite lyrium dust at the Tower, yay!). Then I could just spam magic all day long.

Seriously, alchemy or whatever is the greatest skill ever. Let me finish the game with like 300 health potions and 200+ lyrium potions.

lastplayed said:

I use the preset scripts, it seems to be working pretty well on the hard difficulty so far.

if you have the pc version, do yourself a favor and get the respec mod. respecing the others makes the game infinitely more enjoyable.

K.Jack

Hilaho said:
Crushing Prison is God.
Then cast Force Field on top of it for an area of effect explosion.

Ward of Paralysis + Ward of Repulsion will stun everyone in the vicinity for 20 seconds. Great for blobs of archers or mages.

RedSwirl

tokkun said:

Ser Perth died during the last battle, so that option's out.

I also don't think using any kind of tank strategy will work. My main problem with the Revenant is that no one in my party can do ANY damage to him. All attacks do either 1 damage or miss, usually miss.

Patryn said:
I customized my scripts to ensure that my mages would use lyrium potions when their mana ran low, but I set it to the cheapest potion. Set that to Tactic 1.

Then I used alchemy until I had like 200 of the suckers (Infinite lyrium dust at the Tower, yay!). Then I could just spam magic all day long.

Seriously, alchemy or whatever is the greatest skill ever. Let me finish the game with like 300 health potions and 200+ lyrium potions.

Yeah that's pretty much what I do. :p

RedSwirl

What's the penalty if I wait too long to
save Connor
? I've decided to head on over to the Circle Tower after I've explored the upper parts of Redcliffe Castle.

K.Jack

RedSwirl said:
What's the penalty if I wait too long to
save Connor
? I've decided to head on over to the Circle Tower after I've explored the upper parts of Redcliffe Castle.
There's no timer associated with that quest.

Top Bottom