• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

murgo

Found by David___ in the other thread.. looks like it's confirmed now:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...just_confirmed_that_theres_only_one_area_per/

Pretty disappointing. The game will probably still be quite big and full of content, but I was hoping to explore more of Earth.. :(

Mod edit: Urk responded.

Oh, hello.

Destiny's pretty big. It's the biggest game we've ever made, by far, and we're sort of known for making games you can play for months, years, and even decades if you're a little bit...dedicated.

With Destiny, we're looking to exceed what we've done before, not just in terms of scale - the Moon is our smallest destination - but in terms of scope and breadth of activities. That's true for day one, as you expect, but it also means we want Destiny to have super long legs.

If we're fortunate enough to have you playing months after launch, you still find lots of compelling stuff to do. That will manifest itself in a myriad of ways, from straight up content to cool activities we've yet to show off.

We think we did a decent job supporting Halo, post launch, but we were only ever able to cater to the competitive set. That left a lot of players out in the cold. That made a lot of the team grumpy. We wanted to do better. So, Destiny is philosophically built support every type of player, and all modes with ongoing activities and events. We look at it quite a bit like television programming, as opposed to a singular film, as we had in the past. We think it's gonna be pretty great, but we wanted to test out a bunch of our new stuff with Beta, to make sure we could flip knobs and levers live, reacting and responding with lots (and, ho boy, did we see LOTS) of players online and playing.

Beta was water wings. Level 8 is nothing. You barely scratched the surface, and it seems like some folks had fun with what was there.

If you did, good news. More soon.

HORRORSHØW

daaamn. that's kinda whack, considering how short the missions are. yea, there's explore mode, but that's essentially doing the same things over and over.

Rats. I was kind of hoping for at least two or three areas per planet/moon. With how short some of the missions are, I can see the main story being beaten within a day... =/

AHA-Lambda

And it's only about 5 planets yeah?

Yeah, I'm cancelling my CE pre order anyway, I just can't see the DLC adding enough content to make it not worth me trading in when I've finished the campaign.

Huge galaxy to explore, my backside.

Expected.

Even before this statement, you could guess it pretty much by the fact that there's been zero teasers of actual game assets of the other locations previously name dropped back in early 2013.

And the fact that they never mentioned areas like Old Chicago and Europa anymore subsequently following the initial reveal.

Only russia for earth ? Seriously ? What about all the other locations mentioned in IGN media blowout ? Chicago and everything ?

So Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars and that is it ?

Yeah I hope this isn't true, lifespan will be an issue for me. I guess being a mmorpg player I may have got my expectations a bit over hyped. Will keep my eyes on this, I'm not paying £80 for a shortish lifespan.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought Chicago was confirmed?

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhNkK4h1oVk#t=72 we were lied to if so, he says we can go to the mountains and such, you cannot.

Went from Day 1 to buy a sealed copy on Craigslist day 1 for 45$

Yeah, this really disappointed me. They made it sound like the areas would be massive, open and fully explorable. Instead, you only get to explore a tiny fraction of what you can see. Old Russia gives off the illusion of a vast expanse ready to explore, but the moment you actually try you're greeted by invisible walls and death triggers. Really bugged me how artificially restricted your movement is.

Only russia for earth ? Seriously ? What about all the other locations mentioned in IGN media blowout ? Chicago and everything ?

So Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars and that is it ?

They showed concept art.

They never actually said that those locations will be what's shipping for the first game.

jett

D-Member
That's not surprising at all. Anyone that played the beta could've figured that one out. There are still areas in Old Russia we haven't explored, like King's Watch.

BTW there are five locations in Destiny: Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars and the Reef.

So if there are only four different planets, that means we've covered 25% of the story mode in the Beta. That is extremely disappointing if true. That might explain the low (20) level cap...

hohoXD123

Looks like I'm trading it in sooner rather than later then. One area per planet, particularly for Earth, seems a bit silly.

murgo

So if there are only four different planets, that means we've covered 25% of the story mode in the Beta. That is extremely disappointing if true. That might explain the low (20) level cap...

I don't think we got all the Earth story missions in the Beta. I'm sure there's more.
I hope so..

AHA-Lambda

And people said I was talking crap, when I was concerned about the amount of content from the low level cap >_>

maneil99

And Destiny's world isn't as shallow as a puddle?

No Man Sky makes it look like an ocean, if you watch the gameplay for that game is apparent the game has little to no interactivity with the world and ai. The world's have no advanced geometry or landmarks

Carcetti

It's an MMO even if it's MMO fps. Anyone want to bet how many areas they're adding via expansion DLC? Borderlands 2 managed to add great stuff like sand sea area, so I'm not about to get rage mode on yet.

David___

Banned
That's not surprising at all. Anyone that played the beta could've figured that one out. There are still areas in Old Russia we haven't explored, like King's Watch.

4. The Reef is supposedly a second social hub.

Welfare

Man, guess I'll be done with the game faster than I thought.

IKizzLE

Expected.
I bet a lot of people complaining about content are the same people who put 20+ hours in the beta.
Sounds like this will be worth he 60 bucks.

Top Bottom