• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead Survival Instict Revealed

This could have been a slam dunk if given to a competent dev.

Playing as daryl in a survival oriented FPS could have been awesome as fuck.

Sec0nd

Oh wow, they probably realised it was going to be a crappy game. They probably hope people buy the game because of the stories of this awesome Walking Dead game, not realising it's actually another game.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So we are a few weeks away from release and still nothing.

That is not surprising given this is being managed out of Activision Minneapolis. They lean on the license and wide distribution for awareness and sales to their (casual) target demographic, not enthusiast press.

So we are a few weeks away from release and still nothing. Has anybody heard anything regarding gameplay?

I've been wondering myself as well. Norman Reedus twitted the following photo last week so the game is basically done. Where are the previews?

Q6eYhYt.jpg

Gorillaz

I can't believe they aren't giving this press. Yea it might be a bomba but atleast try to remind people who aren't aware that it's a game in the first place. They are seriously going to use the "word of mouth" approach lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't believe they aren't giving this press. Yea it might be a bomba but atleast try to remind people who aren't aware that it's a game in the first place. They are seriously going to use the "word of mouth" approach lol

They're going to use the "hope it sells based on the license and confusion with the other Walking Dead game" approach.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I'm not sure why you are laughing. Activision Minneapolis is very, very successful financially speaking using this approach.

jond76

Banned
I can't control myself when it comes to zombie games. So unfortunately, for better or worse, I will buy this...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ah good ol Activision Value, the same brand that Soldier Of Fortune 3 was put under.......bastards.

This is why I love gaming. I hold out hope that a game I really want to play will actually be fun. I just hope it's a under the radar gem waiting to happen.
This is also why I hate gaming.... Cuz it will prolly suck....

Yet I still hope!

This is why I love gaming. I hold out hope that a game I really want to play will actually be fun. I just hope it's a under the radar gem waiting to happen.
This is also why I hate gaming.... Cuz it will prolly suck....

Yet I still hope!

Well seeing as Activision hasn't been promoting this game very much, if at all you might wanna stop hoping.

That is not surprising given this is being managed out of Activision Minneapolis. They lean on the lean and wide distribution for awareness and sales to their (casual) target demographic, not enthusiast press.

The same one that published Blood Drive?

Another day, and still nothing about this game. I dont think I have ever seen a game this close to release with so little information about it. Given the franchise and its popularity... this is really strange!

After hearing more about the game, it’s clear that it’s not a straight first-person shooter.

Guns are sparse and make noise that attracts the horde, you need to scavenge for resources silently. There are moral choices based on which of each stage’s survivors you help, and which you leave to die – as you can only rescue so many in your truck at the end of each stage.

There are multiple mission branches, random encounters mid-stage and more. Its certainly not sounding like a straight up corridor shooter

“Oh yeah,” [Terminal Reality’s principal effects art and system designer Glenn Gamble] replied. “We really do want to challenge the traditional undead game. If you notice a lot of undead games throw a lot of zombies at you – or if they call them ‘Infected’ or whatever else. That’s their game type, that is the game they’ve crafted.

“As we are working within The Walking Dead universe, we have a very specific type of undead that we’re dealing with, which are the Walkers, these classic, slow-moving, shambling, very stupid undead creatures.

“The big challenge was, how do you make a game with this slow-moving, methodical enemy feel dangerous. That was a big challenge for us, and that’s why we went with the idea of – if you watch the show, three Walkers almost overpower Rick in season two.

“That is our benchmark. Three Walkers should be something that a skilled player could take on hand-to-hand, but a novice player may need to take a step back and say, ‘I may need to think of a way around this’. I helped design the combat system and my record is six. I can only take on six Walkers in hand-to-hand combat.”

“Six enemies is usually pretty easy to deal with, so we have a pretty low amount of enemies that are dangerous to the player. Because of that we could make these slow, methodical walkers.
..."One of the reasons we went first-person with this game is with a first-person camera you can’t look around the next corner in front of you.

“So that helped create that tension you see in classic movies and in The Walking Dead show, especially in the prison when they’re running through the hallways, and they don’t know if there’s no Walkers, one Walker or twenty down the next hallway until they actually get there.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/08/walking-dead-survival-instinct-dev-keen-to-challenge-shooter-pre-conception/

Good information, but still I think it's not looking good. Surely they have employees or somebody with their war to the street.... Need more info.

mujun

All signs point to this game being a pile of crap but I love the show and zombies in general (especially the traditional, slow ones) so I am grabbing the game on release.

Maybe it's just me, but this game doesn't look nearly as bad as it's been painted to be. Not that it's looking like a barn burner or anything, but it looks...I don't know...decent. Average. A bit run of the mill. I could say all of those, but I couldn't say that it looks like complete dog shit or anything.

Probably just me. I'm not buying it anyway(even if it was above average), nor am I a part of the target audience, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Jofamo

From the brief comments by the developers, it sounds like exactly what they're wanting to make is ZombiU. I could barely handle two zombies in that game at a time.

I'd love for this game to turn out good, and be another game along that style, but honestly, I hardly expect it.

Top Bottom