• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseMath

yup. I don't see what the fuss is about. I bought my Wii U for Wii U exclusives such as Zombi U and Monster Hunter.
I was honestly holding on to the hope that WiiU could satiate all my console needs. I'll be doing the same setup as this gen I guess; WiiU and a PS4.

dmr87

Everything will be forgiven come E3, the reason I bought one is 1st party Nintendo titles. High-end PC/PS4 for the rest.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So it's more like...

<---X360-----WiiU-----PS3-------------------------Durango/Orbis--->

Honestly the WiiU is probably just above the PS3 a little, but you may never know. You've not got a Nintendo equivalent of Naughty Dog developing stuff like the Phyre or Ice engines to share with developers to get the most out of it, instead you get spec documents with an added "figure it out yourselves I guess, we dont even know?" emphasis.

Also this thread is a great who's who for identifying where the echo chamber that allowed for widespread unrealistic WiiU spec estimations even post release sprouted from.

Dead Man

This is where people are wrong. Sony and MS's position going into next-gen is completely relevant to Nintendo especially when Nintendo is trying to fluff up the Wii U to be a competitor to Orbis/Durango with games as well as services. This is the reason why so much focus has been on what moves Nintendo is making because this was supposed to be their solo year to have the market to themselves before the onslaught of the HD twins. I can't understand why people keep trying to make it seem as if Nintendo is in this vacuum where the actions of Sony/MS doesn't affect or apply to them.

I think in the sense that Nintendo will continue to do what they do regardless of what the other do. Of course it will effect Nintendoes success, but historically it has not effected their strategy. It seems they are quite happy to make a Nintendo console for Nintendo games and whatever else they get is a bonus.

I was honestly holding on to the hope that WiiU could satiate all my console needs. I'll be doing the same setup as this gen I guess; WiiU and a PS4.

Yeah, and a good PC.

The_Lump

Banned
Sigh at Eurogamer.

A) Nothing from these Chipworks pics has suddenly revealed WiiU isn't a GCN GPU. That was almost certain for a year and a half.

B) GCN architecture isn't a pre-requisite for"Next-Gen" tech.

C) WiiU is current gen....because it's a currently produced generation of hardware. Durango/Orbis are next gen because they are the next generation of hardware that their respective manufacturers will produce. When they come out, guess what? THEY WILL BE CURRENT GEN ASWELL! :eek:

The WiiU isn't using bleeding edge technology. No one thought it would be. So these new pics and info havent unearthed some terrible truth about WiiU (although a lot more information is still to be deciphered)

Mael

Like I said before, it's best to leave this thread be. You, I and a few others know what's really going on. So honestly, what does it matter if the rest of gaf doesn't?

If I was working in that relevant market I would be more than happy to leverage that kind of knowledge as it is I just find it sad. I guess you're right.

This is where people are wrong. Sony and MS's position going into next-gen is completely relevant to Nintendo especially when Nintendo is trying to fluff up the Wii U to be a competitor to Orbis/Durango with games as well as services. This is the reason why so much focus has been on what moves Nintendo is making because this was supposed to be their solo year to have the market to themselves before the onslaught of the HD twins. I can't understand why people keep trying to make it seem as if Nintendo is in this vacuum where the actions of Sony/MS doesn't affect or apply to them.

Because that's what happened to Nintendo last gen on handheld and console as well as what's happening on 3DS.
The only actor that ever have a shot at influencing the market's performance of Nintendo is Nintendo themselves.
Wii/DS/3DS rose when Nintendo focused on theses and failed when they pulled their focus out of it, nothing Sony/MSFT ever did affected them, that doesn't look like it'll change this gen either.

kinggroin

Banned
I strongly believe that Nintendo's first party stuff will look very very impressive, but it also seems apparent that this system was not made with Western 3rd parties in mind and that with possibly a few exceptions ( maybe some Ubisoft and WB properties), Western 3rd parties will ignore it.

Nintendo better have a lot of Japanese 3rd party support and collaborations in the pipeline.

I'd take the "very" out, but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly. Too bad your post will most likely be ignored.

Edit: Should have continued reading. I'm pleasantly surprised by how down to earth most posts have been.

The_Lump

Banned
Honestly the WiiU is probably just above the PS3 a little, but you may never know. You've not got a Nintendo equivalent of Naughty Dog developing stuff like the Phyre or Ice engines to share with developers to get the most out of it, instead you get spec documents with an added "figure it out yourselves I guess, we dont even know?" emphasis.

Also this thread is a great who's who for identifying the echo chamber that allowed for widespread unrealistic WiiU spec estimations even post release sprouted from.

Well that's wholly innacurrate. By all accounts Nintendo have been falling over themselves trying to help larger 3rd parties get to grips with the hardware. And providing middleware to boot, I believe.

DieH@rd

Banned
So.... No The Witcher 3 for WiiU?

iOXNMK9gyJOUI.gif

tkscz

I'm honestly curious, is it possible to summarize what is inaccurate or incomplete and how it impacts the conclusion of the article? I saw the link to the other thread but my low level hardware knowledge is lacking.

IIRC:
Claims that it's still in the ballpark of RV770
Guesses that the Wii GPU parts take up more than they really do
Blowing off the unknown right side as nothing (Not claiming it's WiiU saving, just saying one shouldn't blow off the unknown).

There was more in the thread, but like you, I'm not all THAT good with GPU hardware.

I just have one question.

Even if the wiiU could put out visuals comparable to some Orbis/Durango games and all this is bullshit, Does anyone honestly think Nintendo is going to sink the same amount of millions into development of games that squeeze the same level of visuals out the console?

can you really see $100 mil Nintendo games ever being made? Cus I surely cannot.

IIRC:
Claims that it's still in the ballpark of RV770
Guesses that the Wii GPU parts take up more than they really do
Blowing off the unknown right side as nothing (Not claiming it's WiiU saving, just saying one shouldn't blow off the unknown).

There was more in the thread, but like you, I'm not all THAT good with GPU hardware.

Thanks.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Because that's what happened to Nintendo last gen on handheld and console as well as what's happening on 3DS.
The only actor that ever have a shot at influencing the market's performance of Nintendo is Nintendo themselves.
Wii/DS/3DS rose when Nintendo focused on theses and failed when they pulled their focus out of it, nothing Sony/MSFT ever did affected them, that doesn't look like it'll change this gen either.

Only Nintendo's handhelds exist in a vacuum because that is an entirely different beast altogether with the Wii being an anomaly that ran out of gas. With the Wii U being the first "next-gen" console, consumers are going to come to expect a level of advancement that a next-gen system would bring with games and services. I think it's being ignorant to say that the decisions MS/Sony make going forward with Orbis/Durango won't affect Nintendo due to things such as price, services, and games. Yes people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, but your average gamer is going to expect some sort of parity that would come with a newer system. So far, Wii U doesn't have that parity and looks like it probably never will.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well that's wholly innacurrate. By all accounts Nintendo have been falling over themselves trying to help larger 3rd parties get to grips with the hardware. And providing middleware to boot, I believe.

If by the other way round you mean, sure:

Miyamoto said:
"The other point is that many of our third-party software developers have been dedicated to technologies like shaders. As Wii U is designed to bring out their real strengths, there have recently been more cases where we develop something with their help," said Miyamoto. "It has been more convenient for us to work together with them because they have been able to more smoothly utilize their know-how for development for Wii U."

I just have one question.

Even if the wiiU could put out visuals comparable to some Orbis/Durango games and all this is bullshit, Does anyone honestly think Nintendo is going to sink the same amount of millions into development of games that squeeze the same level of visuals out the console?

can you really see $100 mil Nintendo games ever being made? Cus I surely cannot.

Do you think 3rd parties are going to want to do the same on Orbis/Durango?

spwolf

this thread is giving me a strong sense of deja vu.

but in any case, Nintendo should hope that publishers keep doing 360/PS3 games for a while.

tkscz

Also they don't mention the type of RAM the eDRAM is, they also seem to not point out the fact that there are 2 more banks of eDRAM on the chip.

Edit: The other thread also bring up custom/fix function shaders on the GPU. Whether they are really on there or not is up for discussion right now, but most are guessing they are.

Pooya

A HD 4650 is still better than a Xbox 360 so I'm not sure why people are dismissing it. Plus, this GPU is highly customized (or at least something you can't compare to PC parts at face value).

it's really hard to make something in 2012 that is not better than a 360, very low bar there, you have to try to fail that.

JordanN

Banned
By the way, I still think the GPU is being heavily underestimated. For a developer to make this comment, there has to be something good under the hood:

Shin'en said:
I can only assure that the Wii U GPU feature set allows to do many cool things that are not possible on any current console. The Wii U has enough of potential for the next years to create jaw-dropping visuals.

Cronq

Banned
This all reminds me of the "4G, Faux G, LTE" arguments in the cell phone industry. It's all pointless arguing over semantics. All that really matters is the end user experience. Just like 90%+ of iPhone 4 users believed they had 4G, 90%+ of Wii U buyers will believe their machine is the same as Orbis/Durango. As long as the software is good Nintendo doesn't have a problem.

After developers see how much it costs to develop for the Durango/Orbis they may have the reverse of a problem.

kinggroin

Banned
By the way, I still think the GPU is being heavily underestimated. For a developer to make this comment, there has to be something good under the hood:

I'm not sure how that comment can lead you to believe the GPU is being underestimated by anyone level headed.

Do you think 3rd parties are going to want to do the same on Orbis/Durango?

Nobody wants to make games that potentially could shut down a studio.

but there is an increasing graphical arms race on Sony and M$ consoles that so far Nintendo doesn't need to get involved in.

You may never see something like watch dogs on the wiiU, but no third party will have spend that much on development either.

Meesh

So it's more like...

<---PS360-------Wii U---------------------Durango/Orbis--->
But really, isn't this what most were saying from the get go? I mean this is pretty much what I was expecting...
I strongly believe that Nintendo's first party stuff will look very very impressive, but it also seems apparent that this system was not made with Western 3rd parties in mind and that with possibly a few exceptions ( maybe some Ubisoft and WB properties), Western 3rd parties will ignore it.

Nintendo better have a lot of Japanese 3rd party support and collaborations in the pipeline.
And that about sums it up :)

this thread is giving me a strong sense of deja vu.

but in any case, Nintendo should hope that publishers keep doing 360/PS3 games for a while.

This X1000

The install base for the 360/PS3 is much larger than the last gen consoles ever were. I really just can't help but think that its going to be tough for developers to want to switch to the next gen for at least the first few years.

The goal posts for the Wii U have been moved so many times it isn't even in the same stadium. No one is disputing Nintendo will release first party games people will enjoy. Save for maybe the Virtual Boy, no Nintendo hardware has existed without quality first party games.

However, the Wii U was not billed as just another first party only platform. It was supposed to usher in the next generation, finally bring the much promised 3rd party support with possibly some big name exclusives for the Wii U. Of course that can still happen, but do you guys understand that perhaps these low specs might influence either A) third parties willingness to develop with Wii U as lead console, B) the quality of ports brought over to the Wii U and C) whether they even bother to port at all.

The Wii U will deliver Nintendo games. The "nail in the coffin" most people are reacting to is are we going to once again see anything but those Nintendo games. Based on the specs, I would say it is leaning more in the repeat of the Wii direction more than the massive 3rd party support one.

In addition, can we please stop this bullshit that cutting edge graphics and hardware are mutually exclusive from innovative, enjoyable and fun game play? Shit graphics do not make games great the same way pretty graphics fail to. A game is the sum of its parts, which undeniably includes graphics.

Also they don't mention the type of RAM the eDRAM is, they also seem to not point out the fact that there are 2 more banks of eDRAM on the chip.

Edit: The other thread also bring up custom/fix function shaders on the GPU. Whether they are really on there or not is up for discussion right now, but most are guessing they are.

Someone doesn't know how to read.

The article said it was close a HD 4650/70. But I presumed you knew I also meant to say it was custom as well.

Customized in the downward fashion.

kinggroin

Banned
Yea, developers have never been wrong!

Its not even that. They're just saying, the Wii U has enough horsepower and a few tricks to bring you pretty games for a few years.

Its the folk Pies and Beans has this crusade against, that's reading waaay too into it and extrapolating something that's not there.

Edit: An aside. I think with each new bit of info discovered about the hardware, its becoming more obvious just how dedicated Nintendo really is to mending 3rd party support.

Hoo-doo

Banned

You guys are masters at reading way too much into this shit. For a Nintendo-exclusive developer like Shin'en even 360/PS3 class hardware will feel like a dawn of a new age.

I see this mentioned a lot.. but you have to wonder about this statement...

Why would 3rd parties want to drop a lot more money on the next gen systems, when their is already an install base of 140+Million PS3/360s?

Because PS360 software sales are already fading as the aging userbase falls into apathy. It's naive to think that any tech can last a decade without people moving on.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
What this (and other stories about the WiiUs) capabilities make me think is that, unless the WiiU proves to be a fruitful endeavor for 3rd party developers in the near future, we're not going to see a looot of 3rd party games on the WiiU.

Aside from just 'graphics' what sort of technical in game differences are there going to be between WiiU/360/Ps3 games and Ps4/Xbox3 games? I guess something like that is hard to know before the fact.

My hope is that next-gen console games start working more with random content generation and 'realistic' physical properties of matter.

Fox Mulder

I have tons of 360 games, bought the wiiu for Nintendo exclusives, and will get either the next xbox or playstation.

Sucks that Nintendo doesn't care about powerful hardware or actually getting third parties anymore, but that's been them for years now.

Takuya

Banned
Its not even that. They're just saying, the Wii U has enough horsepower and a few tricks to bring you pretty games for a few years.

Its the folk Pies and Beans has this crusade against, that's reading waaay too into it and extrapolating something that's not there.

He probably forgot to add "Jaw-dropping [WiiU] visuals!".

Nintendo is suddenly the expert in hd development

Riposte

All this next-gen talk confuses the hell out of me. I still don't know if the Wii U is weaker than the 360 or not and I still don't understand just how strong the new consoles will be relative to current PCs.

What matters are the games not the hardware that runs them
most of the time.

That's like saying: the brain doesn't matter, the mind does!

BadWolf

This X1000

The install base for the 360/PS3 is much larger than the last gen consoles ever were. I really just can't help but think that its going to be tough for developers to want to switch to the next gen for at least the first few years.

Haven't various devs, like Square Enix, already complained about the longer than usual generation?

They will move on quick enough I think. Games will look better simply because they are on more powerful hardware (kinda like PC ports of console games) so even without much effort we will see improvement.

Wii U + PC is the way I'll go again.

It really depends on what type of exclusives the 720 and PS4 have. I have absolutely no interest in Microsoft or Sony's exclusives from the PS3 days, but Nintendo had by far the best exclusive lineup from last gen.

If the Microsoft and Sony exclusives are as weak as they were last gen, I can completely see myself sticking to Wii U+PC.

Mael

Only Nintendo's handhelds exist in a vacuum because that is an entirely different beast altogether with the Wii being an anomaly that ran out of gas. With the Wii U being the first "next-gen" console, consumers are going to come to expect a level of advancement that a next-gen system would bring with games and services. I think it's being ignorant to say that the decisions MS/Sony make going forward with Orbis/Durango won't affect Nintendo due to things such as price, services, and games. Yes people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, but your average gamer is going to expect some sort of parity that would come with a newer system. So far, Wii U doesn't have that parity and looks like it probably never will.

Ah yes, the new meme of the Wii being an anomaly when we know exactly why and how it achieved the success it did.
As it is if Nintendo so wished they could have left the other manufacturers in the red ocean and stay in the blue ocean.
As it is they abandonned what they tried with the Wii and went back to GC mode of frontal competition with the competitors.
Right now WiiU's (mis)fortune is totally Nintendo's fault.
And again people don't buy consoles, they buy boxes to run games.
If Wiisports could have been made to run on NES, people would have bought one regardless of how old it is.
Nintendo is interested in 3rd parties for only 1 thing :
their capacity of generating gaming phenomenon that could spur sales for their licences.
If it was a done deal that they could make a gaming phenomenon on the scale of Pkmn/Wiisports/Mario on command they wouldn't give 2 shits about competitions.

Haven't various devs, like Square Enix, already complained about the longer than usual generation?

They will move on quick enough I think. Games will look better simply because they are on more powerful hardware (kinda like PC ports of console games) so even without much effort we will see improvement.

Don't misunderstand, they just want the reset button of the start to next gen so that their IP can sell more than they do now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom