• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS) announced

kevm3

I hope it isn't one of those, 'lets just add a couple of new jobs and be done with it.' Hopefully they update the graphics and extend the gameplay time.

B.K.

Zyid said:
All of the games that were formerly Nintendo exclusives - Riviera, and now this - are going to PSP. It only makes sense really, since the PSP is basically the real successor to the GBA.

Riveria wasn't a Nintendo exclusive. Riveria for GBA is a port of a Wonderswan Color game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zyid said:
Intelligent post...since the game they're talking about here is FFTA. The A stands for Advance, by the way. As in, Gameboy Advance. You know, a Nintendo system.

All of the games that were formerly Nintendo exclusives - Riviera, and now this - are going to PSP. It only makes sense really, since the PSP is basically the real successor to the GBA.

Remember FF Crystal Chronicles? People were making a big deal about how Nintendo and SE were back together, and look how that turned out. DQIX will be the same way.

Spinoffs go to the DS, real games to the PSP.

There's absolutely no way you're not a joke character.

Jiggy

Dragona Akehi said:
The superior Ogre Battle Saga is dead.

Rest in Peace.
Ouch ouch ouch, but good catch nonetheless. :( With any luck they'll at least keep Ogre Battle since it wouldn't be in as much competition with FFT.

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
Ouch ouch ouch, but good catch nonetheless. :( With any luck they'll at least keep Ogre Battle since it wouldn't be in as much competition with FFT.

Ogre Battle DS = FFXII: Revenant Wings. This announcement confirms it. FFTA2 is Tactics Ogre, Revenant Wings is Ogre Battle, the Saga is dead. Let's all go share a long cry.

gamergirly said:
FFTA is not crap

FFT to me is a 10.
FFTA is a 6, there are worse games in the world. But you've gotta understand, when someone takes one of your favorite games of all time, and makes a sequel that is truly a regression to the series (what with laws, the kiddy story, jobs being limited to different races, etc.) it hurts. It hurts deep down inside.

Take the Star Wars prequels. Most people say that they are crap, not because they are truly terrible movies. In fact I would call them average to slightly above average films on their own. But they are such a total letdown from the original trilogy is what kills them. That is the way that I feel about Tactics Advance.

Snaku said:
Yes, though the SNES original is far better.
How so? I'm genuinely curious. Technical elements like loading or do you refer to only the [I assume] unbutchered dialect in parts of the script?

Jonnyram said:
FFT port gets Onion Knight, it seems.
Wonder what the other jobs are.
Onion Knight? What? I don't want an Onion Knight.

What they should add is a Blue Mage; not only for variety but for massive replay value (give every monster in the game a rare ability or something). If not a Blue Mage, then at least under another guise, such as a Tamer or a Poacher with an expanded ability avenue for the Fur Shop. One of the established NPC Jobs that aren't too elite or cliche may be interesting too. Olan's Astrologist perhaps.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just wondering, uh duckroll/whoever..

Is this blog RIGHT or do we really not know?

Because everyone's acting like it's been announced. heh

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
mikekennyb said:
FFT to me is a 10.
FFTA is a 6, there are worse games in the world. But you've gotta understand, when someone takes one of your favorite games of all time, and makes a sequel that is truly a regression to the series (what with laws, the kiddy story, jobs being limited to different races, etc.) it hurts. It hurts deep down inside.

Take the Star Wars prequels. Most people say that they are crap, not because they are truly terrible movies. In fact I would call them average to slightly above average films on their own. But they are such a total letdown from the original trilogy is what kills them. That is the way that I feel about Tactics Advance.

Good post. I totally understand how you feel about FFTA without you having to use hyperbole. As someone who hasn't had the opportunity to play FFT, I played FFTA and deemed it enjoyable on its own merits. Yes, it was more aimed at younger gamers and the difficulty was low, but I don't find that a negative at all. As much as I like the extreme challenge of the earlier Fire Emblems, I do enjoy an easier, more casual gaming experience from time to time. I loved the bright and cutesy artwork, and you can't really go wrong with bunny girls in my book. If FFT is indeed so much better I'd love to get a chance at playing it since I love the SRPG genre.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
SE just dont want to release the game on PSN for the PSP Psone Emu ...so they decided 2 make a quick port to make some more money...

Prax

I like the FFT series okay (okay, I lie. I only like the first game.. FFTA turned me off too much with the stupid kids for some reason), so I guess I'll be looking forward to the DS sequel if it doesn't turn out too bad.

Too bad it's no Fire Emblem or Ogre Battle.. Those are the strategy games series that actually have my true love. I only have slightly fake love for FFT because it allows me to make my own characters.

I never played the original FF:T so this should be good for me when it comes out on the PSP.

I played and loved FF:TA on my GBA, so a sequel is definetely something im looking for, :D

Has any of this been confirmed yet? I would like to know, you know, the truth.

Hopefully this wasn't three pages of reading, for no reason.

Not on GAF.

Beezy said:
Why the hell would they make a sequel to a crappy ass game like FFTA? Let that piece of shit die.

Yeah, they should let a game that sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide and garnered general critical praise die.

farnham

Banned
I loved Ritz malheur...
ta-ritz-a.jpg

Beezy

Magicpaint said:
Yeah, they should let a game that sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide and garnered general critical praise die.

I don't care how it sold. It's the worst SRPG that I've ever played. FFT deserved a sequel way more than this game did.

Beezy said:
Ignore my posts, simple as that.

Except this is a message board and it doesn't particularly hurt or anger me responding to posts! It's not a hazard I must avoid.

But considering your opinion on FFTA...well...

jjasper

So FFT is to PSP awesome but why are they releasing it for retail if it just a port wouldn't it be much easier to just put it up on the Playstation store?

I still miss ogre battle:(

duckroll

jjasper said:
So FFT is to PSP awesome but why are they releasing it for retail if it just a port wouldn't it be much easier to just put it up on the Playstation store?

I still miss ogre battle:(

Widescreen, new jobs, new illustrative celshaded FMVs.

Top Bottom