• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Teggy

If there is a game I have tried and failed to finish more times than any other, it is KOTOR. I've started it on the original XBOX, PC, PC (Steam) and Mac, never getting further than Dantooine. 10+ years of buying new versions of the game and giving it a shot now and again.

Last year I bought yet another edition of the game, this time for iPad. One again, I got through Dantooine, and actually finally got to a new planet, but again stalled and put the game down.

I don't know why I have failed to progress in the game so many times. It might be that I never had much experience with real WRPGs. I've beaten a lot of ARPGs (Morrowind, Witcher series, Mass Effect series), but have had little success with RPGs where you have to set the characters in motion and can't rely on your reflexes at all to stay alive.

Until now. After messing around with widescreen fixes on the PC, I decided to give the iPad version another go, and about 35 hours later I've beaten KOTOR.

The first thing I did differently was take a computer created character and auto leveled up every character, including my own. I figured there were enough characters I could just choose the ones that were taken down the paths I needed. As someone who is bad at these games it was more likely I would screw up by trying to min/max.

Once I was able to get past one of the planets I had Jedi that could heal and stun and the game became much easier. There were still some sticky points here and there, but good use of consumables and the occasional mine trap would win the day. By the end of the game I was pretty overloaded with a lot of items.

I completely ignored swoop racing because it was a pain on the iPad, and I realized it wasn't required. I didn't play much Pazaak either although I built a good deck. I didn't buy any of the really big ticket items, but I managed fine without them.

From a story standpoint, I was sadly spoiled on the major twist sometime last year. It was kind of amazing I had managed to avoid it for so long. The idea of the Sith empire is a little silly overall. It's basically an entire empire of assholes. I don't understand why it doesn't fall apart simply from everyone fighting among themselves.

I'm very interested in checking out the restored KOTOR 2 now, but I might give it a little break.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's crazy how much better Kotor 2 is and I freaking love Kotor 1.
But by god, Kotor 2 takes it's sweet ass time in the beginning. You'll probably spend 10-15 hours before you finally get to choose where you want to fly to.

Though it's animations.....didn't age well. Because they always looked bad.

Any one here beat it on the Android version? How good is that version.

I didn't beat it but made it roughly halfway through. I think the version was totally fine, I didn't like playing the game on a tablet though.

jeremy1456

I have tried to play it multiple times. When it first released I felt the interface was janky and unprofessional making the game feel more like a fan made project than an actual retail release. I played it on Xbox.

I tried to play years later on my iPad and realized how badly designed each and every environment is. It's just not a lot of fun to be honest. The interface still feels like something you would see in an early 90s game or fan made title.

Might give it another go on the PC version this time.

But by god, Kotor 2 takes it's sweet ass time in the beginning. You'll probably spend 10-15 hours before you finally get to choose where you want to fly to.

I didn't beat it but made it roughly halfway through. I think the version was totally fine, I didn't like playing the game on a tablet though.

I hope there will be a KOTOR remake.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Not a lot of love in this thread for the game I consider my favorite if all time :(

JBwB

Man I want a remake of both KOTORs so bad.

KOTOR 1 was my first WRPG and I still consider it to be one of the best games I've ever played.

Not a lot of love in this thread for the game I consider my favorite if all time :(

I'd play it again if but there isn't a patch to make it playable in 4K. The UI scaling is abysmal.

That being said it's my favorite WRPG of all time.

Nothing beats being Evil and screwing the Galaxy over.

Also make a new game and call yourself Revan. It makes for great dialogues choices.

Artdayne

I bought an XBOX for this game. It was actually the first RPG that I got into and enjoyed. I generally didn't like the console RPGs growing up and I was hesitant to play KOTOR because I had heard that it was fairly like a turn based RPG which at the time turned me off (I really enjoy them now) but when I finally played it I thought the game was amazing. I've played through the game about 6-8 times.

Certainly one of my favorite games of all time, I've played through it numerous times. Great cast, great story, great locales, everything is great. The sequel is even better.

I've always felt KotoR isn't actually all that good, and even if it was good in the time and place it came out in, it really hasn't aged well outside of its admittedly cool reveal.

KotoR 2 however, I think is the best Star Wars game ever made. It's certainly the best written

Springy

Glad you ended up liking it, OP. It really is a fantastic game.

I really liked how they set it thousands of years before the events of the movies, it feels like the license doesn't hamstring the game like it does most other Star Wars games (to me). It also allows, for someone with only a passing interest in the wider fiction anyway, a unique window into some really cool ideas, like the repeated recolonization of Tatooine by humans over millenia.

Fowler

OP, it's funny that you kept stalling after Taris! I love KOTOR -- it's one of my favourite games of all time, easily -- but man, the first 10-ish hours until you become a Jedi are sooooo sloooowww. I have no idea how I stuck with it the first time around, but I'm so happy I did.

KOTOR was my first WRPG, but also the first game where my friends and I had noticeably different playthroughs. We were all stunned when one friend said he'd been exiled from Manaan. Who knew that could happen in a game?!

HorseFD

I didn't finish this game until I had it on my phone. It is surprisingly playable if your phone's screen is big enough, or if you have a tablet.

Teggy

OP, it's funny that you kept stalling after Taris! I love KOTOR -- it's one of my favourite games of all time, easily -- but man, the first 10-ish hours until you become a Jedi are sooooo sloooowww. I have no idea how I stuck with it the first time around, but I'm so happy I did.

KOTOR was my first WRPG, but also the first game where my friends and I had noticeably different playthroughs. We were all stunned when one friend said he'd been exiled from Manaan. Who knew that could happen in a game?!

I know there is a mod for PC that skips Taris and Dantooine.

I definitely got the feeling that you could get very different paths through planets based on light/dark. I decided to play squeaky clean for whatever reason. If I got dark points I would reload my save.

I did. I beat it on my s6 that had close to 2 years on it last December. If you run it on low/mid graphical settings it'll run fine on that.

Like the iPad version though, avoid the races like the plague I don't know who optimized them for mobile but they should be fired that shit was a nightmare to play.

Was probably the 5th or so time I've beat the game. Imho the game works great on mobile. I won't say it's the definitive edition but it has that mobile/switch effect where a title you might not play fully on a home console/pc you will beat the whole way through if you have it on the go

Sotha_Sil

One neat trick, if you can manage it, is to not level your character up until you reach the point in the story where leveling up means you get to add a minimum of one force power unlock per level. Great for force-based characters, though you'll need to rely more on your party members in the beginning.

I also enjoyed rocking with Canderous and HK at the end. Giving both of them repeating rifles and the rapid fire perks gives you barrage of lasers at your back as you now down the Sith.

I should replay this as a dark side user, I can't remember how it effects all of your party members.

jdstorm

Banned
Glad to see so many people enjoying this game since its one of my favourite's.

Speaking of Builds. What does everyone else use? I normally go with a 5/15 Scoundrel/Sentinal build. Its pretty OP if you are happy to stealth some sections you can practically Solo everything post Taris.

Edit: also my Obligatory gushing about how playing as
A Light Side/Neutral Female makes this game completely different and significantly better.

Still my favourite western RPG. Though playing it on mobile sort of showed its age a little, especially with the combat. The stoy, atmosphere and sense of place though is still as amazing as ever.

jdstorm

Banned
Probably my favorite game of all time, if not #1 then at least tied for it. I have a hard time imagining playing it on a tablet though.

BioWare hates it?

On tablet you have a pause function so it plays more like a SRPG then an ARPG. The walking controls can be annoying at times but overall its more then fine.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
My favourite game of all time. A Star Wars RPG had been my dream game for a decade, so when this was announced it instantly became the most anticipated game of all time for me, and I was not disappointed. I hope we get a spiritual successor which re-canonises Revan and integrates the basic Kotor plot into the new timeline. I'd love a remake but realistically EA/Lucasfilm will not make an expensive AAA game that doesn't fit into the new timeline.

On tablet you have a pause function so it plays more like a SRPG then an ARPG. The walking controls can be annoying at times but overall its more then fine.

The original releases had a pause function too.

Great game and great story. The last boss fight almost put me off because I sucked. I relied too much on the party and did not see it coming that the last fight would be one on one. My character build was weak. Can't fight the last boss toe to toe so I used all of my inventory. Mines, traps, etc. It was a long grueling fight but I managed to beat him, though in a not-so-Jedi way. Maybe I'll give it another go someday with a proper Jedi character build.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Great game and great story. The last boss fight almost put me off because I sucked. I relied too much on the party and did not see it coming that the last fight would be one on one. My character build was weak. Can't fight the last boss toe to toe so I used all of my inventory. Mines, traps, etc. It was a long grueling fight but I managed to beat him, though in a not-so-Jedi way. Maybe I'll give it another go someday with a proper Jedi character build.

That sounds like a great boss fight to me, you used the tools you had available. I was a dual-wielding dark-side master when I fought Malak and it was still a good fight. I loved going around and sucking the life-force out of the Jedi prisoners. Made me feel like a proper bastard.

Sanjay

I did. I beat it on my s6 that had close to 2 years on it last December. If you run it on low/mid graphical settings it'll run fine on that.

Like the iPad version though, avoid the races like the plague I don't know who optimized them for mobile but they should be fired that shit was a nightmare to play.

Was probably the 5th or so time I've beat the game. Imho the game works great on mobile. I won't say it's the definitive edition but it has that mobile/switch effect where a title you might not play fully on a home console/pc you will beat the whole way through if you have it on the go

I have a nvidia shield tablet version 2 so hopefully that should be enough to power it with no problems. I always wanted to play this game, always gets praised.

CEJames

I think I remember beating this....8 to 11 times back on the Xbox. Talk about no life.

Loved every playthrough though

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Probably my favorite game of all time, if not #1 then at least tied for it. I have a hard time imagining playing it on a tablet though.

BioWare hates it?
Funnily enough I'm pretty sure it's there by design though I think that goes against the joke.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The guy who played Canderous Ordo just died. He was also Dash Rendar.

Rootbeer

Banned
In a world where old games get re-released on current gen all the time, not having a KOTOR HD release (or better, KOTOR I+II duology) on PS4/XBO/PC/(Switch?) is such a travesty... we did get a slightly updated version of KOTOR II on Steam which was nice I guess, but still not what we actually needed or deserve.

I own KOTOR on iOS and I just can't play it that way... I need a fuller experience than that. I picked it up when it was on sale for $0.99 or something cheap like that, which is an incredible value, but when I actually dug into playing it I was having a hard time.

Yeah, as someone who played a lot of D&D 2nd edition in my younger years, the 2nd edition roots of the SW RPG system that those older KOTOR games used hasn't aged well... it's terribly suited for a crpg experience but the game developers at the time did the best they could. Anyway, you quickly get past the oldschool feeling underlying system and enjoy all the other elements which outshine the rusty bits.

Glad you enjoy it now. I really liked it back in 2004. Not sure how it holds up but I'll always have fond memories of it, going back to it could be a bit risky though.

Markitron

In a world where old games get re-released on current gen all the time, not having a KOTOR HD release (or better, KOTOR I+II duology) on PS4/XBO/PC/(Switch?) is such a travesty... we did get a slightly updated version of KOTOR II on Steam which was nice I guess, but still not what we actually needed or deserve

It would be nice but I can't see EA/Lucasfilm bothering. EA just don't seem keen on remasters in general and Lucasfilm have already directly contradicted the events of Kotor in their new timeline, so they won't want to complicate that any further.

Markitron

Glad you enjoy it now. I really liked it back in 2004. Not sure how it holds up but I'll always have fond memories of it, going back to it could be a bit risky though.

The music, writing, story and performances haven't aged, and if you enjoyed the combat then you will enjoy it now. It really is just the environments that are a problem, they are pretty flat and lack detail. The menus are pretty clunky as well.

heringer

While KOTOR hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped (especially the writting), it's still a damn good game. We need a new KOTOR.

Kinda want to replay KOTOR 2. Wish they would port it to mobile.

Svejk

Played through it last year. Certainly looks better than the OG xbox one I played back then. It's good... a bit dated of course, but still good.

Oh, Bioware, ...what happened?!? You guys use to be the jam!

Eggbok

I had that same experience OP, buying it multiple times and starting over and over until one day it just clicked. One of my top 5 fave games of all time.

LKSmash

From KOTOR to ME:2, they were on top of the world. I was obsessed with Bioware back then. Things really have gone awry since they joined EA.

As for the KOTOR series, I really hope we get a proper re-release or an addition to the series. Hands down, absolute fantastic games.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I played this for the first time in 2014. I didn't have any options except to endure all the glitches that came with popping the original Xbox disc into a 360. At some points, every several minutes I had to restart the game.

I survived it. The game is very good.

I still love 'em.

Sillverrr

Don't worry if you already know the major plot twist. There are enough surprises left in store for it to be worth seeing through to the end. Depending on your choices, you can carve out some pretty cool outcomes. I went Dark Side, and I was very satisfied with *my* ending, and what it meant for my party companions.

Z..

Overrated mess. Killed me at the time as I was super hyped for it since playing BG2.

Bad writing, story and characters, average everything else. Such a gigantic letdown.

Edit: should I give KOTOR 2 a chance? I heart Obsidian...

royox

Overrated mess. Killed me at the time as I was super hyped for it since playing BG2.

Bad writing, story and characters, average everything else. Such a gigantic letdown.

Edit: should I give KOTOR 2 a chance? I heart Obsidian...

Kotor2 with the restored content is x10 times better than 1....but I don't get why you consider kotor1 to have "bad writting". It was amazing.

Played this on xbox when it released back in the day. I recently tried to play it on android and pc and found it really difficult. On android the font is soooo tiny I had to stick the phone into my face. Playing it on pc, I had to lower the resolution to 800x600 just to get the game to play fullscreen. If you play in a higher res then you get reduced size with a border. This game deserves better.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I might be able to crank my falling-apart laptop to finally try KOTOR 2. (I need to pull it out of storage for The Witcher 1 and Trails the 3rd, anyway.) But I've been told there's a semi-cliffhanger ending that gets resolved in a rough book and an MMO I'll never play really sours my milk. I dunno, I should try it... but bleh.

Markitron

I might be able to crank my falling-apart laptop to finally try KOTOR 2. (I need to pull it out of storage for The Witcher 1 and Trails the 3rd, anyway.) But I've been told there's a semi-cliffhanger ending that gets resolved in a rough book and an MMO I'll never play really sours my milk. I dunno, I should try it... but bleh.

The book is a bit iffy but it isn't so bad, the storyline in the MMO is borderline offensive though.

Top Bottom