• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida can't promises The Last Guardian for 2013

slider

Shouldn't talk about the game in the first place unless you are ready to have people outside the company play it. This was announced way, way too soon.

Yeah, that's probably a good rule. Is that a regular/normal thing though? Only announcing a game when it's ready for folk "outside the company" to play? I'm having a huge mental block but my immediate reaction is that it isn't commonplace (someone please shed some light on this!).

Clearly the development has been troubled and it seems Yoshida at least has taken the importance of announcement timings onboard.

ScOULaris

New Duke Nukem Forever confirmed.

I can see Gearbox picking up the pieces and releasing a half-assed TLG in 2015 on the PS4.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm hoping for a PS3 and PS4 release.

Except if you like Nintendo games. You have pretty much zero risk of being disappointed.
That is very subjective though. I've seen people being kinda disappointed with New Super Mario Bros 2 and Zelda Skyward Sword. It doesnt mean that the games are bad, but it depends a lot of how big the expectations someone has for the games. If the expectations arent met, it is possible to feel some disappointment.

Famassu

I really doubt this has anything to do with a delay for PS4. From what it has looked to me, they just really came to a dead-end with the development of the game because of its ambitious nature and insufficient skills to make it work on their own. They've probably just been rebuilding the tech-side of it (and perhaps a big part of the game) since their previous efforts simply didn't cut it anymore.

.la1n

I'm with the rational people in this thread, this was the best possible answer to give. They learned from the mistake of leading fans on and now they want to wait until they can give a real date for the game. Nothing to see here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
'JeuxVideo.fr : The Last Guardian is very anticipated in France. Can you confirm for our readers that the game will arrive well next year on PS3?

Shuhei Yoshida : No, sorry

8p10n.gif

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Must suck living in the west and getting fired when a game doesn't sell a couple million copies, knowing Team Ico can sit on their comfortable salaries for 7 years with Sony's full support.

Concept17

If this game IS NOT a ps4 title, I'll be disappointed and likely won't care if it releases. Its fair to say if they're working heavily on the engine, it could very well be for ps4.

Yeah the worst thing is playing a game on last gen hardware after a new system comes out. Hopefully it comes out before ps4 or switches to that platform.

What will come out first, The Last Guardian or Versus XIII.

That seems to be the two competing for the vaporware king after Duke Nukem

Verelios

Who here thinks we're not going to see it. At all. Probably not, unless its confirmed to either be canned, moved to next gen or changed to another project.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lyphen said:
Must suck living in the west and getting fired when a game doesn't sell a couple million copies, knowing Team Ico can sit on their comfortable salaries for 7 years with Sony's full support.

There's nothing worse for a developer than getting stuck for years on the same project. Nothing. Its bad for team morale, personal confidence, and most of all career prospects.

flattie

Yeah, that's probably a good rule. Is that a regular/normal thing though? Only announcing a game when it's ready for folk "outside the company" to play? I'm having a huge mental block but my immediate reaction is that it isn't commonplace (someone please shed some light on this!).

Clearly the development has been troubled and it seems Yoshida at least has taken the importance of announcement timings onboard.

An entire generation without a Team ICO game even being announced would have caused just as much anguished speculation as what already exists.

How is it pointless? PS3 will be at over 65 million units install base and PS4 will be at <10 million.

lots of great games come out at the end of consoles lifecycles and fall by the wayside because of it....

i'm not saying it doesnt have a chance to do well it just would have 1 more thing going against it.

and lets say the ps4 would be under 10mil units thats still a full lifetime of potential sales plus itd be a must have launch title significantly ramping up units sold.

but i digress - i just think it'd have a harder time selling the same amount of copies in 2014/2015 than it would in 2013 or 2012, ps3 speaking.

lots of great games come out at the end of consoles lifecycles and fall by the wayside because of it....

i'm not saying it doesnt have a chance to do well it just would have 1 more thing going against it.

and lets say the ps4 would be under 10mil units thats still a full lifetime of potential sales plus itd be a must have launch title significantly ramping up units sold.

but i digress - i just think it'd have a harder time selling the same amount of copies in 2014/2015 than it would in 2013 or 2012, ps3 speaking.

GoW2 did ok, both critically and sales wise.

:'(

Please don't be canceled... I don't care when it comes out. I have a huge backlog and there is always good games coming. But please... I want to play this game.

slider

An entire generation without a Team ICO game even being announced would have caused just as much anguished speculation as what already exists.

Oh man, that's true as well.

I reckon they should give me a job there. I'm good at motivating people and making sensible decisions for third parties.

Paracelsus

It would be very nice of them to just admit what Team Ueda has done until the takeover was an outright incomplete disaster so they had to pick up the scraps and restart from the beginning.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm willing to go one more e3 before I declare vaporware.

If the PS4 is announced, and this game is nowhere to be found, then it's truly gone.

On the plus side: How amazing would it be to have as a launch title? Seems like wishful thinking at this point.

GavinGT

Banned
Making this a PS4 launch title would be such a bad move for Sony. It's a niche game that isn't likely to break 500,000 units even on PS3. And with the number of years it's been in development, 500,000 is still not enough to recoup Sony's investment. As a launch title it would have greater visibility, but it likely wouldn't even approach 500,000.

luca1980

Banned
Half of the reasons to buy ps3 were just tlg.
After this whole fiasco I will never buy future Sony hw before seeing the software right next to it.

ErikB

Banned

'Personally, I liked working for Sony. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of Japan! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked for the gaijin. They expect results.'

Top Bottom