• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time to revisit our NeoGAF profile pages?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just noticed my profile has two items that can probably be rolled into one 'switch username/nnid':

Nintendo Network Username (Wii U): N/A
3DS Friend Code: N/A

and this can go away altogether, as iOS doesn't have game center anymore:

Game Center Username: N/A

i hate to peak behind the curtain too much, but how much development effort is involved with something like this? i'm not sure what infrastructure is running the forum.

does anyone care? does anyone even look at anyone's profiles?

Laieon

I've never checked out anyone's profile on here. Hell, I barely even look at people's usernames.

Accoun

Evilore talked a few times about replacing the GAF forum software completely since it's supposedly a mess after all the custom modifications.

Probably they won't care about changing much until then.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just noticed my profile has two items that can probably be rolled into one 'switch username/nnid':

Nintendo Network Username (Wii U): N/A
3DS Friend Code: N/A

I could do this right now, but the 3DS still exists so I was going to hold out a little bit, and Switch has both friend codes and User ids, and they don't do anything yet. So I'll probably flip the switch so to speak when one of these three things changes.

jon bones

I could do this right now, but the 3DS still exists so I was going to hold out a little bit, and Switch has both friend codes and User ids, and they don't do anything yet. So I'll probably flip the switch so to speak when one of these three things changes.

thanks man, could you delete the iOS bit? that's been deprecated for a while now

also, feel free to nuke this thread

L Thammy

I only check peoples profiles because I want to look through their posts and threads, and if someone hasn't pointed out a weird post history that's entirely because I'm trying to find a specific post/thread that I know that person posted.

Then again, I also loathe everybody and don't play online. Maybe going onto people's profiles to find their friend codes and gaming profiles is normal behaviour and I'm the weirdo.

duckroll

We'll be err... eventually migrating to a new forum software, so a lot of interface improvements should happen when that actually hits. We are very aware that stuff is outdated and some things are pointless. Lol. Not sure if anyone actually uses profile info though, but what I really wonder is how many people use the FRIEND feature. I know I don't, and whenever I see a friend request on GAF when I check my User CP once every decade, I just laugh.

jon bones

We'll be err... eventually migrating to a new forum software, so a lot of interface improvements should happen when that actually hits. We are very aware that stuff is outdated and some things are pointless. Lol. Not sure if anyone actually uses profile info though, but what I really wonder is how many people use the FRIEND feature. I know I don't, and whenever I see a friend request on GAF when I check my User CP once every decade, I just laugh.

didn't even realize we had a friend system

i wonder what the web 3.5 neogaf client is going to look like, with streaming hooks and discord in-lays

premium sub for bringing your gif avatar back

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Additional fee for Platinum sub with animated avatars.

Does that guy with the waving Canadian flag avatar pay you guys? Sounds like someone owes you money.

Numb

Does that guy with the waving Canadian flag avatar pay you guys? Sounds like someone owes you money.
He's under a special plan where the flag comes as a package with the username and tag. :p

I'd pay to have this as avatar

duckking-rb-stance2.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You heard it here first folks: NeoGAF Gold custom packages coming soon.

i hate to peak behind the curtain too much, but how much development effort is involved with something like this? i'm not sure what infrastructure is running the forum.

I have it on very good authority that underneath Neogaf's hood lies but 1,000 angry chipmunks running on wheels duct-taped to straw mans, welded to ad hominems and running through a ad nauseam-powered battery.

The slightest change could disrupt the very world as we know it

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
turn it into something like a dating profile with quizzes

the quizzes can recommend friends

and would be great for receipts moments

seriously though, I look at them whenever I read a post that I don't know how to take

Estoc

They should bring in the popular loot box system.

Each loot box will contain a letter that we can type, and some random cosmetic bits, mostly the latter. We can only use the letters we have unlocked.

Hope we can reroll for the SSR letters: vowels.

L Thammy

turn it into something like a dating profile with quizzes

the quizzes can recommend friends

and would be great for receipts moments

seriously though, I look at them whenever I read a post that I don't know how to take

The personality test could determine our character class like in Ultima IV.

We'll be err... eventually migrating to a new forum software, so a lot of interface improvements should happen when that actually hits We are very aware that stuff is outdated and some things are pointless. Lol. Not sure if anyone actually uses profile info though, but what I really wonder is how many people use the FRIEND feature. I know I don't, and whenever I see a friend request on GAF when I check my User CP once every decade, I just laugh.

Will this require us to ”sign up" again?

kswiston

I check people's profiles all the time.

The search feature in this version of the forum software is not good, so if I remember who posted the thread, it is easier to find the thread from the link in their profile.

If I see people posting inane crap on the OT, I check their user profile for that suspicious 0.04 posts per day average.

If I realize that I haven't seen a member here on GAF in awhile, I'll sometimes search for them to see if they are banned/no longer active.

Aces&Eights

No. User accounts and the post database will both carry over.

From what I hear about how old this database framework is, if you guys migrate successfully to a new platform please let Sony know how you did it so they can implement it on their end and allow us to finally change usernames!

Spladam

I always wondered that that "friend" stuff was about, I honestly thought it was an old function that didn't exist anymore and was just left in the UI.

Some guy called me out once in a pre-release Kinect vs Move thread. I was arguing that Kinect would be bigger and was a more exciting concept.

He used the fact that I only have an Xbox Live ID in my profile as proof that I was an Xbox zealot... hilarious. Good times!

does anyone care? does anyone even look at anyone's profiles?

There's a bunch of buttmad banned babies who will so they can harass you on other platforms. I used to get spammed with shock sites until I removed the details.

Funny thing is they were spamming babbies first shock sites as if I didn't grow up in the era of Internet edginess.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
From what I hear about how old this database framework is, if you guys migrate successfully to a new platform please let Sony know how you did it so they can implement it on their end and allow us to finally change usernames!

We've already done it successfully, and got the conversion time down from a week to a few minutes so that the site won't have to go offline for very long during the live procedure.

Duckroll did you see my friend request?

Mifec

We've already done it successfully, and got the conversion time down from a week to a few minutes so that the site won't have to go offline for very long during the live procedure.
Are you migrating to Xenforo or something else? If you don't mind me asking.

Nowise10

Maybe also update the site to give you notifications when people reply to your post and quote you as well.

THIS AINT 2005 ANYMORE GAF

Top Bottom