• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimm Fandango said:
Alright who's getting the special editon? After thinking about it, I'm totally getting it.

soundtrack: win
art book: probably will be win
safe deposit box: wat
duffel bag: wat?
key chain: I'd rock it

IMO, not worth an extra 30...
but I'm absolutely getting it

The AI also reacts to weather conditions. During one jaunt through a seaside park area (reminiscent of Salvatore's mansion, in the old northeast end of the Saint Mark's district in GTA III), we witnessed a woman break into a jog and pull her shawl close around her. Moments later, a storm front rolled in and the rain came down. That's pretty impressive stuff right there.

My god.

Dabanton

Basically the Game Of The Forever.:D

I mean really with we've read about GTAIV this week is any other game going to really top it this year?

If they upgrade the quality of the mini games, this game will be "the game of the forever". That's for sure.

In fact, I sure hope they had a team of people that were ONLY working on the billiards, darts, poker, +whatever. Does anyone else get a bad flashback moment when you think of the games that CJ played in his house during San Andreas?

Dabanton said:
Basically the Game Of The Forever.:D

I mean really with we've read about GTAIV this week is any other game going to really top it this year?

I don't see how. This week's wealth of stunnery has all but guaranteed it.

striKeVillain! said:
So is Times Square going to be kind of realistic? I hope to see a lot of taxis and peoples on the street.

If I recall correctly, the very first footage that was released showed a lot of yellow taxis and pedestrians on the sidewalk.

I'm really nervous about the mention of drivers flying through windshields in that IGN article. Mainly because there's no way it wouldn't look ridiculous and/or be completely annoying. Just take a look at FlatOut.

Why wouldn't Nico just wear a bloody seatbelt?

rogue_pigeon said:
I'm really nervous about the mention of drivers flying through windshields in that IGN article. Mainly because there's no way it wouldn't look ridiculous and/or be completely annoying. Just take a look at FlatOut.

Doesn't FlatOut use ragdoll physics? Euphoria =/= ragdoll.

kylej

Banned
rogue_pigeon said:

I think the article is talking about pedestrians flying through the windshields if you rear-end a car hard enough. I doubt they'd let Niko fly out the windshield and inconvenience the player every time you hit something.

I'm for the windshield flying too. I really like the more mature mood Rockstar is going for with GTA IV, but at the end of the day I still want some exaggerated, goofy stuff in the game.

striKeVillain! said:
So is Times Square going to be kind of realistic? I hope to see a lot of taxis and peoples on the street.

no way. at certain times you can barely move in times square, there are so many frickin people. plus an actual simulation of nyc traffic would suck to play. technologically, i doubt they could put that many people on screen. in those first shots of star junction there were about 10 cars. not realistic.

Grimm Fandango said:
Doesn't FlatOut use ragdoll physics? Euphoria =/= ragdoll.

Doesn't make a difference what tech they do it with.

kylej said:
I think the article is talking about pedestrians flying through the windshields if you rear-end a car hard enough. I doubt they'd let Niko fly out the windshield and inconvenience the player every time you hit something.

A rear-end is driving into the back of someone's car with the front of yours, why would that result in the occupant of the car being hit (which is what I imagine you were referring to) being sent in the opposite direction to the force acting uppon them?

SolidSnakex said:
Because when you yank someone out their car you aren't exactly concerned about buckling your seatbelt.

Once, yeah, maybe. But when you're making an occupation of it and it's an annoyance that could potentially happen several times per play session, you'd sure as hell expect them to learn. Especially when you're supposed to be in control of their actions.

I agree that it could be a nice touch IF implemented well, but like i said, it has me very worried.

kylej

Banned
rogue_pigeon said:
A rear-end is driving into the back of someone's car with the front of yours, why would that result in the occupant of the car being hit (which is what I imagine you were referring to) being sent in the opposite direction to the force acting uppon them?

I dunno I didn't even think about it, I just want to see peds fly through the windshield :)

what's got me worried is the control scheme for shooting (though I've read kinda conflicting reports). as a ps3 owner, i'm just really not into using the "triggers" for shooting. and since you can half-press them for free aim, that means you won't be able to change the control scheme.

Stantron

Himuro said:
New images of the special edition:
I'll be getting the Special Edition mainly for a) the soundtrack and b) support R* with my monies (must prevent EA buyout).

These "collectors" mini game artbooks tend to be lame. CoD4's artbook was a joke. But maybe R* will surprise.

GilloD

Banned
I'm leaving for Peace Corps sometime between May and September, I can only pray that I finish GTA 4 first. Is that ridiculous?

GilloD said:
I'm leaving for Peace Corps sometime between May and September, I can only pray that I finish GTA 4 first. Is that ridiculous?

If there are packages to collect; no.
If you like getting all the achievements; no.
btw may - september is 5 months. That's almost half a year. That's a long time.

kylej

Banned
GilloD said:

Brand new beautiful GTA hotness or the Peace Corps.

I think you know what you have to do.

If you rush, skipping the optional missions, I'm sure it can be won in a matter of days. Collecting 100% on all the tasks will take months.

Z_Y

kylej said:
I dunno I didn't even think about it, I just want to see peds fly through the windshield :)

You could do this in Saint's Row during head on collisions. Funny stuff. :lol

dejay

Banned
Router said:
I have been really interested in Euphoria since the Indiana Jones tech demo.

Me too - it's gratifying to see everyone else coming on board with the possibilities. I'm impressed that they've implemented Euphoria not only for the main Niko and main NPCs, but also for pedestrians as well. To watch them interacting with each other and the environment should be fascinating. The holy trinity of sandbox gaming is now complete; physics, ragdolls and Euphoria.

ChrisD84

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
If there are packages to collect;

That's one thing i want to hear about, whether or not they are back (i'd assume so, but who knows). Same thing with unique jumps, rampages etc.

IIRC, rampages weren't in SA, and packages and jumps didn't seem as fun to me as in the previous games.

Hopefully they all come back :D (though i wouldn't be surprised if rampages didn't, due to the more serious tone of the game)

Also, nice euphoria preview, i'm looking forward to seeing it in action. If R* use it well in such an important game, i think a lot more developers might start to use the tech.

pr0cs

HolyStar said:
Rockstar better release a demo for this game. It will still sell, but I want to play around in an area for a bit.
Pretty much guaranteed they won't release a demo, the game is going to sell like made without a demo.
Would be nice but extremely unlikely.

rogue_pigeon said:

Bad comparison or not, I don't see a reason to worry about this. The developers implemented it in FlatOut precisely because it looks goofy. I think Rockstar doesn't want a similar effect or something that's as exaggerated as in Saint's Row (where they literally catapult several feet into the air at times).

And given the fact that GTA IV is using Euphoria, I'm sure that animation will be a lot more subtle than the above examples.

Madman

HolyStar said:
Rockstar better release a demo for this game. It will still sell, but I want to play around in an area for a bit.
It would be foolish. Games like this are much better off without a demo.

Screw the people who call this the game of the year. If everything turns out the way we're being promised and told now, this is gonna be the best game ever.

That is, if they don't go and pull a "San Andreas" again -_-
Remember the whole lie about "ragdoll physics" and the "hanging behind cars" feature? Yeah.

HolyStar

Banned
Madman said:
It would be foolish. Games like this are much better off without a demo.

Why, it worked for crackdown.

Screw the people who call this the game of the year. If everything turns out the way we're being promised and told now, this is gonna be the best game ever.

That is, if they don't go and pull a "San Andreas" again -_-
Remember the whole lie about "ragdoll physics" and the "hanging behind cars" feature? Yeah.

Dude, that game had so many unfinished promises it wasn't even funny.

IMHO, the packages are one of the most annoyingly difficult things to collect. I'd rather have them missing in the next installment of GTA.

For one, these "packages" are an increasing trend among game developers and are a definitive sign of lazy game design. It's a poor attempt at increasing the "gameplay" hours and doesn't add a significant amount of actual "gameplay". I understand that many people can validate this game mechanic as an "exploration reward system", yet that's just ignorant. How many games utilize this "FIND ALL THE x AND GET ACHIEVEMENT POINTS!"?
- Jak & Daxter games, Crackdown, Halo3, (seriously, lets get a running count. How many am I missing?)

It's bullshit.

I absolutely hate having to go online to find a map/guide to get the last 5 or 6 packages that I couldn't find.

If Rockstar was to make it a challange, then I'd be interested. As if, in order for me to collect a package, I had to take out someone specific and steal the package. They could have placed just 25-50 packages around the city and that would be equal to the 500 you have to collect in Crackdown. You assassinate the person, you pick up the package. That's it. No more of this insanity. "Let me climb onto a rooftop and then fall onto an air vent to get a package" bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom