• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

There's a 50/50 chance of something developing in the gulf of mexico over the next 5 days so I figured this is as good of a time as any to start this thread. Happy June everyone!

2017 Names:

Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Don
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irma
Jose
Katia
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia

Philippe
Rina
Sean
Tammy
Vince
Whitney

note: Arlene formed in the Atlantic back in April. It died out and never threatened land.

two_atl_5d0.png

Ludovico

Subbed.

Baton Rouge here.
The August flood hit us incredibly hard last year, really hope we can skate by this year with no major incidents.

Retro

Subbed.

Mid-Atlantic here, about an hour from the ocean proper but only a mile or so from the bay; we got sideswiped by Irene and Sandy's passed directly over us.

Stay safe coastal GAF.

Subbed.

Baton Rouge here.
The August flood hit us incredibly hard last year, really hope we can skate by this year with no major incidents.
Subbed. Nola here and my girlfriend has never seen as much rain as we've had here the last month or so in her four years here so she's kinda freaked about the coming season.

I swore I wouldn't evacuate again but after I stayed during a bad one about 4-5 years ago and the power went out I swore I'd never deal with no AC for a week in New Orleans August heat again so looks like I'm out if we get told to leave this year

New Orleans here as well.
I feel you on Issac dude, power was out for a week and that heat, the cat and I were both laying on the hardwood floor trying to stay cool

NH Apache

Banned
New Orleans.

Time to make those groceries.

2017 NOAA Prediction

C4RvL40.png

For the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through November 30, forecasters predict a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season.

"As a Florida resident, I am particularly proud of the important work NOAA does in weather forecasting and hurricane prediction," said U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. "These forecasts are important for both public safety and business planning, and are a crucial function of the federal government."

Forecasters predict a 70 percent likelihood of 11 to 17 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 5 to 9 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 2 to 4 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). An average season produces 12 named storms of which six become hurricanes, including three major hurricanes.

http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/above-normal-atlantic-hurricane-season-is-most-likely-year

Zackat

South Florida here, about 10 minutes from the beach and live on the river.

this thread was awesome last year so I am gonna sub again

gwarm01

Three years I lived in South Florida and I never saw anything more than a tropical depression. I say let it rain!

Jag

Three years I lived in South Florida and I never saw anything more than a tropical depression. I say let it rain!

Moved here in 2000. The few years of bad storms we had after that were enough to shake me for a lifetime.

New Orleans here as well.
I feel you on Issac dude, power was out for a week and that heat, the cat and I were both laying on the hardwood floor trying to stay cool
Yeah couldn't remember which storm it was thanks for the reminder.

On the plus side I think I JUST finished the last of my K Rations the guard gave out. They gave me hundreds. Obviously I didn't eat them this entire time but every now and then I'd be starving and too lazy to cook and I'd suddenly remember "oh yeah I got that fire southwest chicken" haha. Rations were not that good but I never turn away free food especially when it lasts for years

Yeah couldn't remember which storm it was thanks for the reminder.

On the plus side I think I JUST finished the last of my K Rations the guard gave out. They gave me hundreds. Obviously I didn't eat them this entire time but every now and then I'd be starving and too lazy to cook and I'd suddenly remember "oh yeah I got that fire southwest chicken" haha. Rations were not that good but I never turn away free food especially when it lasts for years

I ate some MRE's the guard gave out just after Ike. Wasn't a big fan of the hot food, but trail mix and snacks that were in there were fine.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I dread how Trump handles a major natural disaster along the lines of Katrina or Sandy.

Ugh, hope not, I'm supposed to be flying out to the east coast next Friday.

The timing is hard to predict with this disturbance since there won't be any steering currents for a while. Maybe you'll get lucky and whatever develops will still be off shore at that time. If you're flying out of Hobby or IAH definitely keep a watch on this

bengraven

Ugh thought I missed something today.

Driving down 301 to Ocala and I had to stop due to the rain being so fucking horizontal and relentless.

teiresias

Trying to decide if I should move my flight up to Wednesday from Friday out of Houston or not. Ugh, I hate weather complications. I guess I'll call my travel office tomorrow and see if there's anything available.

New Orleans. I have family in San Antonio, so we'll head out there if anything develops. If nothing else, it's an excuse to take a road trip—not that I enjoy these storms hitting anyone, of course.

Joezie

Potential Tropical Cyclone #3

19399346_1442031312529011_6023818952967568361_n.jpg

More at the top of the hour apparently.

Is this the reason its been raining almost non stop and I've had to engage in multiple battles with my demon lawn with the mower recently? Troll weather percentages are awful, but hopefully tomorrow clears up so I can mow...again.

Top Bottom