• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek UK artist recreates BioShock environments in CryEngine 3

n0b

prefer old look, this engine makes game look sterile.

Its mostly the lack of particle effects that is changing the look; theres no water, no smoke, no dust, and no fire. Less detail props as well, its pretty much just the frame without any of the furniture or debris. Still looks good.

kamspy

The first time I played through Metro 2033 I kept thinking how much more awesome Bioshock would have been on that engine with that gunplay.

This looks really hot too. It's premature, but I'd buy a Bioshock HD Remix.

Zaptruder

Banned
Eh. It's an improvement, but not an amazing one.

Truly we've hit diminishing returns.

Hey gaming industry. Give us more super high frame rates with full VR immersion. You can keep your snazzy silhouettes.

Antiochus

Minor improvements overall. Original's engine artistry more than made up for its graphical flaws, and is still more than presentable to this day.

Joni

While I understand it is technically better, the original game looked way better than this. The atmosphere is missing in these pictures. Here is our completely ruined underwater city, which looks spec-clean. The cracks in the walls and the walls themselves look like they're on the same plane which means it looks more like the wall has cracks painted on it.

Hypron

I prefer this version over the original. At least everything seems to be made out of something else than plastic (I know that the fact the enemies' skin looked like plastic was explained in the game, but I still think it looked terrible).

mango drank

Capture.png

It's the Polycount forum symbol. It's a forum for 3D game artists. The rendering of the Big Daddy by itself shows it clearer.

(._.)

Banned
Isn't that forum symbol in a lot of games?

It's just the symbol from the forum many artists incorporate into some of their work for moral.

I really like these scenes he recreated. The big daddy sculpt also looks pretty sick too.

I hope he sees this project making its way around the internet. really nice work :)

not a huge fan of how it looks compared to the older bioshock, i think part of it is that these screens give no sense of atmosphere with lighting and that it lacks the decals of a decaying city. Bioshock is probably one of few games where the high specular nature of unreal actually plays in the games favor, specially with making things looks wet and damp.

Suairyu

Banned
I bet you played Bioshock on consoles. There's nothing out of ordinary for those who played original game on PC.
I played the game on PC. It's a UT2.5 game. There are limits to how good it can look. Even maxed out on a PC, it doesn't look much better than the console counterparts.

These mockup screens are a massive leap in quality.

Good stuff but I feel like the lighting is a little flat & not moody enough, especially in the last shot. There was usually more of a spotlight style lighting in Bioshock that I really love in real life & in games.
I have the same feeling too; at least on PC, original one looked more moody

I played the game on PC. It's a UT2.5 game. There are limits to how good it can look. Even maxed out on a PC, it doesn't look much better than the console counterparts.

These mockup screens are a massive leap in quality.

Well it looks better, yes, but only for a slight amount. Shots are not even close to be called as "massive leap". I have no idea what all of you are exciting about.

wabo

Banned
Just for reference (taken from here)

imbUVKv8AoXBe.png

So yes, it looks much better but I would say it's not mainly cause the engine but the core art. Bioshock's art is well suited for consoles, this art guy can pump insane textures/polys cause he don't care about framerate.

Feature

Banned
It looks more like plastic. Just look at those plants in the third picture. Also the big daddy's drill looks like it's made from plastic.

While technically more advanced, the new engine also loses the proportions of objects and shadows. The CE3 screens have a completely different feel to them, mainly because they don't respect the makro detail of Raptures design. Instead of bold blocky Art Deko, it's become more delicate, almost a geometrical art nouveau reimagining of Raptures iconic design.

True, the prospect of a remade Rapture with this kind of engine and proper time and art direction makes my mouth wet, but honestly the original still looks outstanding thanks to the impeccable art direction and design.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It looks more like plastic. Just look at those plants in the third picture. Also the big daddy's drill looks like it's made from plastic.

As opposed to BioShock where everything looked like it was made of plastic.

eso76

i find the screenshot from the original posted above a lot more attractive, the scene replicated in CE3 is very simple and it mostly looks good because of the ridiculous amounts of AA.
There certainly are more representative areas to replicate, this one isn't really telling much

gabbre

Everything except Timesplitters 4, right?
JK

Looks great. Despite the engine getting old OG Bioshock is still a piece of art.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Reminds me of that Halo scene in Cryengine 3 by DICE artist "Rense de Boer".

I want to be impressed, but then i remember the world isnt that reflective.
I think after messing around with real time reflections in CE3 im kinda over them, just cuz as technically impressive as they are, they just dont make sense.....the world isnt that shiny and reflective, sure it looks pretty, but come on, anyone who have ever been to a powerplant or any industrial location that uses steel will know that everything is reflected on everything.

Ricochet in CryEngine 3

Worthwhile account suicide?
Might as well have gone large, this is weak.

Jac_Solar

I wonder how long it took him to make those enviroments (In the OP.)?

"Professional" games basically "require" teams of 100 people, along with many, many millions of dollars and years of development time at the moment -- not to mention that they are already saying that future games will cost a lot more and require more people -- yet with an engine (Which many development teams also start out with nowadays.), the results of 1 dedicated person compared to a huge team aren't all that different. Atleast not as different as anyone would expect.

I'm not just referring to the OP; there are obviously many more factors to consider, like many more levels/models, NPC's, scripting, voice acting, A.I, physics, animation -- but still, there are entire games made by 1 person out there.

Top Bottom