• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

Cramoss

I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.

This is exactly what I've been feeling these last few weeks. It's fucking weird, man.

Glad they're enjoying it, though

thefro

Agreed. I think Wii U probably had a better lineup cuz it had Monster Hunter really fast and it mops the floor with any game on the Switch right now.

Monster Hunter didn't come until four months after Wii U launched. So you'll want to compare it to Switch's lineup in two months.

The point I'm trying to make is that you might pay full price for a game if it was the absolute most gorgeous version of a game, like how people will double dip on a PC version despite owning it on a console.

I think NeoGAF dramatically overestimates how many people actually behave this way.

People didn't buy third-party games for Wii U because the third-party games coming out on Wii U weren't games they wanted to buy. It's as easy as that.

The third-party games that people actually did buy were the kinds of third-party games people typically want on their Nintendo systems, and the same thing is true on Switch.

This isn't complicated.

That wasn't the case for the Wii U, and both the Wii U and the Wii lacked anything about the systems that made them the preferred way to play them. i remember vividly about people complaining about "tacked on" motion controls for third party Wii games, and the off-tv play of the Wii U wasn't a game-changer for people.

Now with the Switch, being able to play a console game on the go is a feature that adds value to the games value.

I mean, the real problem for Wii and Wii U was that the values offered by those systems don't coincide with Western AAA sensibilities at all.

As we saw with Wii U, it didn't matter whether it was more powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360 or that it could play the same games; people didn't buy a Wii U for PS3/Xbox 360 games, regardless of how they looked. And since no one wanted them, of course they couldn't sell at a premium price point. Meanwhile, Bomberman looks like shit and sells 500k copies because that's the kind of game Nintendo consoles are known for.

FinalAres

Meanwhile, I have Botw and MK8D, but am basically going to be glumly staring at the system until Mario launches because I've already played everything else released a couple of years ago >.<

People who say its a good lineup baffle me. Its clearly not. Its a great launch line-up for sure, and I have every faith that things will improve quickly! We're still so near the beginning :)

But compare what is coming out on Switch to the incredible amount of releases on PS4...and there's no competition. WipeOut, Tekken, Star Ocean, FFXII, Crash Bandicoot, Morrowind, Stormblood all coming out in the next couple of months. Just had Horizon, Persona 5 and Nier.

I realise the above makes me sound like I'm putting Switch down and saying OMG PS is amazing. But what I'm trying to say is...that's where we'll be with Switch in a couple of years time :) Right now things are slooooww, but that's fine. Let's at least be honest about it.

Mithos

Probably meant the one that is available, Mario Kart.

No, I meant Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey. These are the only two games I'm currently interested in on Switch, and that's too few games for me to spend &#8364;390 on a Switch.
So, "something" has to happen, either ridiculous price drop, or games that are to me interesting, maybe e3 can fix it.

Shovel Knight, Thumper, The Binding of Isaac, and Mario Kart 8 are all basically ports. 1, 2, Switch is a terrible "game". I'll give you the others though. By July (especially if they can get the Virtual Console going) I think the Switch will be solid.

ARMS
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Spkatoon 2

Besides Thumper they all have exclusive expansion content, so I wouldn't call them ports. Especially Shovel Knight, a full third of the game is exclusive.

And 1, 2 Switch is an excellent game when you play with the right people. And aren't afraid to look silly.

People who say its a good lineup baffle me. Its clearly not. Its a great launch line-up for sure, and I have every faith that things will improve quickly! We're still so near the beginning :)

It's a good lineup because at this point in PS4's life it still wasn't getting many new releases, while Switch is getting quality games basically every week.

No one's saying its lineup is comparable to the current lineup a system that's in the middle of its peak years.

FinalAres

It's a good lineup because at this point in PS4's life it still wasn't getting many new releases, while Switch is getting quality games basically every week.

No one's saying its lineup is comparable to the current lineup a system that's in the middle of its peak years.

You'll see from the rest of my comment that that's basically what I'm saying. But unfortunately your second statement isn't true. When people say there aren't many good games on the horizon (which is true, and again, is totally fine) they got shot down with metacritic scores including lower-profile indie games which are good but not system sellers.. The truth is there are a small number of exceptional games on Switch, its probably going to be the best first year of any console release, but its still a sparse lineup.

Spy

I like the Switch and I own one, but I get increasingly tired of 'blind bliss,' I would call it. I don't know, I own every console and primarily play on PC so maybe I have some kind of bias, and I have never been big on console wars, but something about the Switch train turns me completely off from discussing it. Like the Switch has some good games for it and it was a decent launch, yes. but this year has been surging with great game releases and outside of Zelda there's nothing really on the Switch right now which compares with what's been releasing elsewhere, there's been some solid games but it's mostly been ports and smaller releases. My wallet has been struggling with gaming this year and the Switch certainly didn't help but I wouldn't say the Switch game library is particularly swamped with must buys right now, especially in a year where there's been so many must buys on other platforms.

I don't know, I guess the reason this bothers me is because it seems like fans trying to market the thing with the 'grass is greener' approach at times, like if they voice out how great things are on their side of the fence then it may cause others to join them. But it feels weird because of the methods I think. Like did you need to create this topic to say you're buying a lot for your Switch? What is it trying to accomplish or discuss? And it's not just been this thread, there's been various Switch threads about people trying to do some positive affirmation thing by being overtly positive. Like I swear this is the third NeoGAF topic on the same subject, which I guess there's an audience to discuss it but it just feels so forced to me.

I hope the Switch succeeds, and happy people like it, but this weird thing Nintendo fans are doing is really turning me off.
This perfectly sums up my feelings as well. I personally don't think a lot of Nintendo fans own multiple gaming systems so when something is announced for the Switch, there's over-excitement.

The constant port begging has gotten tiresome as well. Every single day there's "X game would be awesome on the Switch!" It's like, no shit. We all wish our favorite games were on the gaming platform of our choice. Then the threads where people talk about taking their Switch to the beach or a restaurant, really? lol. I'm sorry but video games are not that important.

Besides Thumper they all have exclusive expansion content, so I wouldn't call them ports. Especially Shovel Knight, a full third of the game is exclusive.

And 1, 2 Switch is an excellent game when you play with the right people. And aren't afraid to look silly.
Aside from Mario Kart, none of that content is exclusive. It's already on or is coming to other platforms. It doesn't suddenly make the game not a port.

Also, we'll agree to disagree on 1, 2, Switch. I think it's one of the worst games made this generation by an established publisher and casuals I showed it to who enjoyed the Wii did not find it fun either.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm on the opposite end. I really want something to play but nothing is standing out.

There are tonnes of great games on the store. The neogeo classics are wonderful. Shock Troopers especially (highly recommend it).

Blaster Master, PP Tetris, Zelda, MK8, Wonderboy, Shovel Knight, GEM, Bomberman...

Unless you don't like indie games, of course.

You'll see from the rest of my comment that that's basically what I'm saying. But unfortunately your second statement isn't true. When people say there aren't many good games on the horizon (which is true, and again, is totally fine) they got shot down with metacritic scores including lower-profile indie games which are good but not system sellers.. The truth is there are a small number of exceptional games on Switch, its probably going to be the best first year of any console release, but its still a sparse lineup.

Let me clarify what I mean by my second statement:

No one is saying Switch has a bigger, healthier lineup than PS4 does in its fourth year.

I don't get how anyone can get a Switch while knowing all the stuff that hits before Odyssey isn't for you. If i wasn't interested in ARMS, Splatoon and all these stellar indies I wouldn't have gotten one, even if Zelda was my most anticipated game.

Wanted to make sure I had one for when I want it because it seems like it's gonna be at least a year before you can just walk into a store and buy one.

FinalAres

Let me clarify what I mean by my second statement:

No one is saying Switch has a bigger, healthier lineup than PS4 does in its fourth year.

That's true, but they are saying its comparable, when actually there is a wide gulf.

Its academic though because we both agree this is an insanely god launch year.

I'm getting a Switch today, and Zelda. I'm wondering if there was only one other game I should buy, what is it?

Stipulations:

• I already have Mario Kart on Wii U so I'm not re-buying that (yet).
  • I have Puyo Puyo on PS4
  • I have Shovel Knight on both Wii U and PS4
  • I am not really interested in Thumper.

Digital or physical, I don't care.

tbm24

I spent a little too much on Neo Geo games honestly. Mostly because Neo Turf Masters is always the pick with friends.

Interfectum

The constant port begging has gotten tiresome as well. Every single day there's "X game would be awesome on the Switch!" It's like, no shit. We all wish our favorite games were on the gaming platform of our choice. Then the threads where people talk about taking their Switch to the beach or a restaurant, really? lol. I'm sorry but video games are not that important.

People want existing console / PC games on Switch because the system offers what those don't: portability.

I want Rocket League, GTA5, Prey, *insert indie game here*, or whatever on the Switch not because I'm a Nintendo fanboy who doesn't own another system, but because I want those games to go with me.

That may not appeal to you and that's cool. But it's definitely the killer app of the Switch and people will continue to port beg old and new games to come out on it because of it.

But compare what is coming out on Switch to the incredible amount of releases on PS4...and there's no competition. WipeOut, Tekken, Star Ocean, FFXII, Crash Bandicoot, Morrowind, Stormblood all coming out in the next couple of months. Just had Horizon, Persona 5 and Nier.

I realise the above makes me sound like I'm putting Switch down and saying OMG PS is amazing. But what I'm trying to say is...that's where we'll be with Switch in a couple of years time :) Right now things are slooooww, but that's fine. Let's at least be honest about it.

Yes people who have opinions that differ from mine baffle me as well so I can relate. I have 15 games on the Switch so far, all of which I've enjoyed quite a lot, so to me at least it already has a great line-up.
I'll take what's coming out on the Switch over that 'incredible' amount of releases, thanks.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
People want existing console / PC games on Switch because the system offers what those don't: portability.

I want Rocket League, GTA5, Prey, *insert indie game here*, or whatever on the Switch not because I'm a Nintendo fanboy who doesn't own another system, but because I want those games to go with me.

That may not appeal to you and that's cool. But it's definitely the killer app of the Switch and people will continue to port beg old and new games to come out on it because of it.

Yeah and it's annoying. I think everybody knows why people port-beg, but it's still tiresome when there's a stream of posts in every thread.

On topic, I'm getting a Switch soon and spending bank on it if only because that shit's expensive. All of the games seem to be £45+ and £70 for those controllers is nuts.

Spy

Discussing it in a Switch OT? Sure. What is it accomplishing by making constant port begging threads though? It looks like something that belongs on /r/nintendoswitch or GameFAQs.

mindsale

If I didn't have other consoles and hadn't played Skyrim or Disgaea 5 or Minecraft or Thumper and had no other way to play Wonder Boy, yeah, amazing year.

But if you own even one or two other contemporary gaming devices - forget Wii U for Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild - there are almost no worthwhile exclusives.

That said, there's portability on Switch games I double dip on, but I almost always find myself playing multiplats on systems with account wide achievements.

jackal27

Banned
aprOzrM_700b.jpg
It's insane how accurate this is.

Switch's first year is killing me too. I usually have a ton of money from Christmas that lasts me the whole year, but it's May and I'm down to like $80. Someone stop me from buying Thumper. Please.

Interfectum

Discussing it in a Switch OT? Sure. What is it accomplishing by making constant port begging threads though? It looks like something that belongs on /r/nintendoswitch or GameFAQs.

Sure I'm just saying wanting a port on Switch goes a little beyond wanting a port from one HD box to another HD box. While it's still there I dont think it's all about fanboyism. The portability angle is huge, at least for me it is.

PSFan

Yup, seems every new game thread GAF has an invetible "this would be perfect for Switch" post. Especially ones that aren't announced for Switch. It's really getting annoying.

RAWRferal

I'm getting a Switch today, and Zelda. I'm wondering if there was only one other game I should buy, what is it?

Stipulations:

If you are planning on handheld a lot, reconsider your position on MK8D

Aside from Mario Kart, none of that content is exclusive. It's already on or is coming to other platforms. It doesn't suddenly make the game not a port.

Also, we'll agree to disagree on 1, 2, Switch. I think it's one of the worst games made this generation by an established publisher and casuals I showed it to who enjoyed the Wii did not find it fun either.

I qualified it in my original post by saying all of those games but Thumper did not exist fully on consoles before the Switch entry came out, and that's true. Specter of Torment is currently exclusive to Switch just like Afterbirth + is exclusive to Switch and PC.

Basically I'm trying to respond to the people arguing that they've played the majority of the Switch lineup a decade ago.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Let's see, I have 9 games and I'm fairly sure none of them were available on other consoles before they released on Switch, with one exception.

Zelda
Snipperclips
1, 2, Switch
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + (only available on PC)
Wonder Boy
Mr. Shifty
Shovel Knight Specter of Torment
Thumper, which is the exception

And we're barely 2 months in. I'll be getting NBA Playgrounds too.

Binding of isaac was on ps4 and xbox too.

Fireblend

Banned

Stipulations:

Zelda, MK and Puyo Puyo are the only must gets on the system right now, IMO. Maybe Snipperclips if you have someone else to play it with? There's the Wonderboy remake but it's not a must get and it's over super quickly.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I keep seeing these gushing threads about switch, it definitely is making me want a switch. It's really driving me, I'm looking at the releases almost daily, but due to stock and personal finances, it remains a difficult proposition. I'm itching to jump in despite complications.

zenspider

I don't get how anyone can get a Switch while knowing all the stuff that hits before Odyssey isn't for you. If i wasn't interested in ARMS, Splatoon and all these stellar indies I wouldn't have gotten one, even if Zelda was my most anticipated game.

Indie = filler? lmao

I agree, at least as far as people complaining about "no games" (I just hit 20 with Thumper), but I can see people grabbing when if/when they can just based on Nintendo's track record and easy foresight by looking at thier Jan 12 roadmap.

I initally was going to wait for Splatoon (pre-reveal), and even mulled over waiting for ARMS - I didn't think Zelda was going to be, well, you know - but looking at the releases I thought it was pretty clear it would be very difficult to casually purchase a unit in a store or on Amazon until maybe September depending on how nuts Japan went for Splatoon 2 and how units would be allocated per territory.

I could see being "ugh" between Zelda and Mario, but I have very little sympathy for those with no interest in the many great titles available already, or those not interested in the ARMS/MK8D/Splatoon 2 multiplayer trifecta.

Maxinas

Switch's first year is killing me too. I usually have a ton of money from Christmas that lasts me the whole year, but it's May and I'm down to like $80. Someone stop me from buying Thumper. Please.

Need self control. I'm a big fan of JRPG's, and the recent golden week sale had me drooling, but i'm going through a 2nd P5 playthrough, haven't finished Zelda, have yet to play the Nioh DLC, and have Nier: Automata in my backlog. So i decided to not buy anything at all. Oh, and I have FE: Echoes on the way too, fuck.

I keep seeing these gushing threads about switch, it definitely is making me want a switch. It's really driving me, I'm looking at the releases almost daily, but due to stock and personal finances, it remains a difficult proposition. I'm itching to jump in despite complications.
Just wait. Zelda is truly great, but if you're strapped for cash, there's no rush to get most of the other games, especially at their current switch tax prices. Don't buy into the blind hype... There are people in this thread saying that 1,2 Switch is a good game, for God's sake.

This is almost me, except add 3rd party games on Steam/PC whenever available.

The Switch panel is 100% accurate tho.

phanphare

Banned
Yup, seems every new game thread GAF has an invetible "this would be perfect for Switch" post. Especially ones that aren't announced for Switch. It's really getting annoying.

I think people on here severely underestimated the appeal of software on a hybrid system

How many more threads will we get to tell how great the Switch is?

It feels so forced. "Look, it actually is really good. I never had so much fun in my life!."

Sure, the handheld and docking feature is great. We all got it and agree.
But it's no news anymore.

And then coming around the corner and telling how great Bomberman and Tetris are?
That's just ridiculous. Nobody buys this console for this games.

And hell nobody who owns a PlayStation would open threads and tell how great some PSN-games are.

Imagine a launch of the PS5 with Pacman, Pong and TLOU3.
People would shit on it.

So why this constant threads about having the time of your gaming-life with two ass-old mini-games?

I'm with you OP. I love the system. I've had a blast since day one and it's not letting up anytime soon. I own every other console released this generation and I enjoy Switch significantly more than the others, including my PS4. I feel it's been one of the best launch windows I've ever experienced and I've been through many of them. I think the last system that had an early lineup that spoke to me this much was the Dreamcast.

I think the most amazing part of this console is the fact that the sentences I just posted are incredibly harmless and obviously my own personal preferences, yet they probably just genuinely annoyed or angered a number of posters on this site.

It feels so forced. "Look, it actually is really good. I never had so much fun in my life!."

And then coming around the corner and telling how great Bomberman and Tetris are?

And hell nobody who owns a PlayStation would open threads and tell how great some PSN-games are.

People would shit on it.

So why this constant threads about having the time of your gaming-life with two ass-old mini-games?

Are you mad?

phanphare

Banned

People would shit on it.

.....we're on an enthusiast video game forum

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

We had three years of similar PS4 threads. People like their new toys. If you don't like reading it maybe don't click the threads?

MisterR

I really enjoy my Switch, but the hyperbole about it is out of control on here. It's basically been a great Zelda game, a Mario Kart port and a bunch of indy games that most of these folks are losing their mind over wouldn't take two seconds to look at or care about if they came out on Steam or PS4, which most of them already have. I guess it's great that people are excited about their new system though and good for them for that.

Top Bottom