• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

Salsa

im conflicted, to be honest

it's not like I can complaint in the sense that the Russian stuff was real and it was a loophole to paying a lot less for new games

the thing im not psyched about nor understand from their point of view is that the solution to that seems to fuck me over as well in the sense that i'll probably wont be able to gift or recieve games outside of latin america soon, which doesnt make any sense considering they're the same price and currency and basically leaves me with 2 people on my friend list I can trade stuff with.

Heh.
My region has been locked to some games all these years. Doesn't really change anything as the prices are already low here.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Was never really for all the foreign key trading and buying so i dont mind this. Sure all those exploiting it though are writing the hate mail by the truckloads.

"Let's prevent people from exploiting the system. This will surely translate with them paying a lot more".
What it will really happen: they will just buy a lot less.

i started buying games more frequent thats to the russian prices, when they added those trading restrictions though i lost interest in a lot of games, no interest in paying what they're asking, not enough content to justify the content imo, like Infinity 2.0

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm glad I got The Witcher 3 on GOG instead of Steam and on the cheap.

I'll probably buy a little less or just wait for sales.

Wait so are we thinking literally all games from all regions are region-locked or just games from specific regions [Russia, Brazil etc.]?

Dicer

Banned
Fine for everyone that wasn't trying to scam the system with foreign trading/buying.

Kinda sorry for those affected, kinda...

The Llama

It sucks, but on the other hand the whole "buying from other countries" (or gifting, or VPN activating, or whatever) thing always seemed morally ambiguous at best and illegal at worst.

Gattsu25

Banned
Every single one of my games were purchased from the US storefront.. still a raw deal for everyone.

I wonder what caused this move?

Salsa

So, business as usual for people who buy games from their region steam store.

lots of people here who arent from the US

basically this could lead to giveaways on GAF and stuff like that being pointless unless you're from the same region

it's an extreme and unnecessary solution to a very specific problem that took advantage of one single country

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Every single one of my games were purchased from the US storefront.. still a raw deal for everyone.

I wonder what caused this move?

Valve has steadily been implementing region locking practices for a while, but this is a bit of a jump. It's probably related to the rapid devaluation of the Russian Ruble.

So, business as usual for people who buy games from their region steam store.

Unless they happen to be people from a country such as Russia and like to gift games to friends from different countries, sure.

chadskin

Gaben be like ...

uAj0p.png

Sentenza

Fine for everyone that wasn't trying to scam the system with foreign trading/buying.

Kinda sorry for those affected, kinda...
That's the usual old argument.
It's scamming the system when consumers try to look for themselves; it's globalization and free market when corporations go in foreign countries looking for cheap labor.

And they even manage to convince consumers to preach self-loathing about it.

Wait. WAIT.

Does this mean I don't have to play with people from other regions / languages in DOTA 2?

Why do I think this is the only thing it doesn't mean?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I can understand but this can genuinely curb my spending habits and I will forgo steam for goog if the games are there on each platform and I can still get a decent discount at times. The way I look at it as well, I wouldn't even be thinking about buying certain games if I couldn't get them a little cheaper. & I mean this in a legitimate way and not those stupid key sites.

I don't think it will deter me from buying games when they're on sale but this is probably going to hurt the market as a lot of people Dookie trading and stuff like this for legit purposes. I would like to see the effects of this about a month from now just to see if this is good or bad.

Not really. Some versions of games are gimped in certain regions. Like Final Fantasy XIII is only available in Japanese in my region despite our language being nothing close to theirs.

Not to mention the games that straight-up not available in my country.

Korezo

Was never really for all the foreign key trading and buying so i dont mind this. Sure all those exploiting it though are writing the hate mail by the truckloads.

So you have problems with people who spend money for a game and I imagine people who pirate to. People should just do what you do right?

Is it just RUS or is every region locked?
People buying the Russian version for dirt cheap ($1-15) over their region ($40-60) for new titles.

Publishers, rightly, are pissed.
Explaining this in the OP would probably help when all the people reading the title just do drive by comments.

Wait. WAIT.

Does this mean I don't have to play with people from other regions / languages in DOTA 2?

Why do I think this is the only thing it doesn't mean?

Well DOTA is FTP so I have no idea what the benefit of region locking the software would be as no one buys it and Valve would likely actively encourage "trading it" if such a thing is even possible

TL;DR Nah pretty sure you're playing with who you always play with

UrbanRats

That's the usual old argument.
It's scamming the system when consumers try to look for themselves; it's globalization and free market when corporations go in foreign countries looking for cheap labor.

And they even manage to convince consumers to preach self-loathing about it.

If i didn't have to often suffer the bullshit 1:1 exchange, maybe i'd be more sympathetic toward buying exclusively in my region.

Platy

....I sended a few weeks ago a gift to a friend in Canada .... I wonder if he will be able to retrieve it

BY2K

Membero Americo
Screw this noise. Restricting access to games isn't something that should happen in a civilized world.

That's not why they are doing this, though.

They want to stop people abusing the cheaper Russian prices. That's why they changed gifting a few weeks ago too.

Basically, people abused the system, everyone gets penalized.

Top Bottom