• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Not really - a touchpad would offer you fine grained analog control and the ability to change speeds quickly. You could whizz down a long list, slow down as you get near what you want, and stop just at the right place. I can imagine it being great for LBP or long OS lists

That's a pretty narrow focus for something that is built into the controller. "Look! You can use this to scroll lists faster!!" doesn't exactly make me reach for my wallet

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's a pretty narrow focus for something that is built into the controller. "Look! You can use this to scroll lists faster!!" doesn't exactly make me reach for my wallet

Was just one example. There are plenty of places where a mouse type input would be useful.

- scrolling lists
- typing on virtual keyboard
- gestures (swipe up to throw grenade)

I would still like a start button though. Having the PS button as the only way to pause is overkill, as that currently pulls up the OS overlay

KAL2006

Banned

I don't think Sony will make a big deal out of the touchpad. It just replaces start/select buttons and is more of a design decision. I don't think it's going to really cost anything to have a touchpad. It's not going to be like a crazy expensive feature like a touchscreen or split motion controller.

Oppo

I would guess it has more to do with the right stick being used very infrequently for most games, while the left analog stick is the most used input on the controller.

Yeah not many games. Just all the first person games and every game with a 3D camera.

Was just one example. There are plenty of places where a mouse type input would be useful.

- scrolling lists

I would still like a start button though. Having the PS button as the only way to pause is overkill, as that currently pulls up the OS overlay

Gestures such as the one you list are EXACTLY what I don't want, and are they worst parts of the Vita games they are crammed in.

StickyPower209

Neo Member
Maybe the PS4/Orbis will be able to open up a lot of apps, and with the touch pad, you could probably swipe left to right to switch between apps/games. It's just a thought.

UrbanRats

Of course there is. It's just relative vs absolute. People use trackpads every day on laptops

And tablets (as in Wacom tablets, not as in Ipad tablets).
DO NOT PUT A DAMN SCREEN ON THE CONTROLLER, please.

I don't want my controllers to cost 200 dollars AND i don't want to pull my eyes away from my 1000+ TV to look at some half decent mini screen..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Seriously? That'd be awful. No better than using an analog stick to guide the cursor. Better off making you highlight letters with directional input, maybe using a mobile phone type "keyboard" that puts all the characters in just 9 keys that you tap multiple times to get a different letter. Even with Wii's pointer which is 100 times better than a touchpad for that the latter was better.

But if you want to type like that how could you not see a touchscreen would be better for it, where there would be an actual (mobile or otherwise) keyboard on that screen based on context rather than a surface to abstractly guide a cursor with?

People use touchpads on laptops because they don't want to carry a mouse everywhere, not because they're so great. And it doesn't sound like this is a Wacom sized Pen Tablet to draw with using a stylus on it, come on. Wacom is doing Pen Displays now on top of Pen Tablets too, as it obviously makes sense to see what you're drawing too/touching too.

But I guess people will defend everything, as if those who only want to use it as a touchpad couldn't if it was a touch screen. Every single use you guys have devised for the touchpad could be done with a screen without affecting you if the developer agreed they're so amazing. For others who want the screen functions however, those can't be done with the touchpad.

Edit: yeah speaking strictly function wise, can't really tell much about price when any crappy phone these days has a touch screen but of course we want one of decent enough quality. The price is unknown for all the components, touchpad included, therefor it's not really a factor in the discussion at this point as far as I'm concerned. It could be a high quality expensive pad.

Quasar

Must say I'm a bit bummed the rumoured biosensors are absent.

Am pretty meh on the whole touchpad on front thing.

But if they keep the same general shape I'm fine.I've aways liked the dualshock design, to the point of wishing I could use my ds3 with my 360.

waypoetic

Banned
And tablets (as in Wacom tablets, not as in Ipad tablets).
DO NOT PUT A DAMN SCREEN ON THE CONTROLLER, please.

I don't want my controllers to cost 200 dollars AND i don't want to pull my eyes away from my 1000+ TV to look at some half decent mini screen..

But they're not. It's a touch-pad. Geez..

Sorc3r3r

ps4-mockup.png

Similar to others. More traditional Dual Shock lines.

Add vita style d-pad, and this is a very nice looking pad.

I could live with the reccent prototype designs. I just hope that the share button more works like TiVo and always records the last 15 minutes so I never miss any of those W.T.F moments again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can you have non-rectangular touchpads? Some of the mockups have a touch area extending in and around the analog sticks etc. but is that technically feasible?

Oppo

Can you have non-rectangular touchpads? Some of the mockups have a touch area extending in and around the analog sticks etc. but is that technically feasible?

Why not? Just mask it...?

It's not goin to be 1:1 with a 16:9 screen anyhow.

What on earth should we do with that touchpad? It seems completely and utterly useless. Especially at a position where you can barely reach it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What on earth should we do with that touchpad? It seems completely and utterly useless. Especially at a position where you can barely reach it.

If it's clickable - and Kotaku says it is - you'll be able to loosen your hand slightly to bring your thumb onto the middle of the controller, without losing the ability to unambiguously trigger something. If it wasn't clickable, being able to keep your grip the exact same (with thumb more easily over the right buttons) would be important, so you could hit a button while using it. But it is itself a button, so that kind of obviates that problem.

It probably will require moving the ball of your thumb vs just the thumb, but depending on the grip design the required movement might be smaller or larger. It would be smaller with a grip design more like the 360's pad for example.

Do you have 2 years old baby hands?

Afaik not.
Tried reaching the target area on my DS3 with my thumbs and it's definitely not exactly comfortable. Can't see myself using this for more than a Start/Select replacement. Which would be easier to do with actual start/select buttons...

Seriously? That'd be awful. No better than using an analog stick to guide the cursor. Better off making you highlight letters with directional input, maybe using a mobile phone type "keyboard" that puts all the characters in just 9 keys that you tap multiple times to get a different letter. Even with Wii's pointer which is 100 times better than a touchpad for that the latter was better.

People use touchpads on laptops because they don't want to carry a mouse everywhere, not because they're so great. And it doesn't sound like this is a Wacom sized Pen Tablet to draw with using a stylus on it, come on. Wacom is doing Pen Displays now on top of Pen Tablets too, as it obviously makes sense to see what you're drawing too/touching too.

But I guess people will defend everything, as if those who only want to use it as a touchpad couldn't if it was a touch screen. Every single use you guys have devised for the touchpad could be done with a screen without affecting you if the developer agreed they're so amazing. For others who want the screen functions however, those can't be done with the touchpad.

I agree with most except the last statement. The Touchscreen would affect me in terms of price and gimmicks compared to the touchpad which would affect me only in gimmicks. I don't want any damn 100 dollar controllers.

Laguna

Banned
If it´s indeed just a touchpad they couldn´t have cared less. What a useless gimmick, reminds me of the stupid sixaxis controller only even more useless.

Violater

ps4-mockup.png

Needs proper triggers for L2 R2, but looks the best I have seen so far.

I wish there was a way they could get a 3"x2" touchscreen in there without greatly increasing the size or cost.

ps4-mockup.png

Oooooh...nice job with this one. I can totally see it looking identical to this. I have a feeling they won’t mess around much with the look.

If they won’t change the overall shape of the controller, they need to at least switch the left analogue stick with the d-pad. Please Sony!

LuchaShaq

Banned

- scrolling lists

Can I pay extra for a feature in my ps4 that blocks these features from my games?

The Dualshock is my favorite controller, so I am happy to hear that they are sticking with the same shape for the most part. All I wanted was a bit of an evolution of the design and that is what this sounds like.

I think it's remarkable that Sony has kept their controller design virtually unchanged since the PSOne, and seems like they will continue to do so next gen. Compared to Nintendo who drastically change their's every generation.

Not saying one approach is necessarily better, I just think it's impressive that the dualshock form factor has stood the test of time for that long.

UrbanRats

Afaik not.
Tried reaching the target area on my DS3 with my thumbs and it's definitely not exactly comfortable. Can't see myself using this for more than a Start/Select replacement. Which would be easier to do with actual start/select buttons...

I don't think it'd be used for major inputs, stuff like swipe with you thumb or qtes of sorts or even minigames, though.

This is my favorite so far, though it'd need:

-larger dpad.
-bigger face buttons
-bigger analogs.
-concave analogs.
-what's going on with the shoulder buttons there?

Salacious Crumb

I think it's remarkable that Sony has kept their controller design virtually unchanged since the PSOne, and seems like they will continue to do so next gen. Compared to Nintendo who drastically change their's every generation.

Not saying one approach is necessarily better, I just think it's impressive that the dualshock form factor has stood the test of time for that long.

It hasn't stood the test of time for me. Right now I'm pretty hot on the PS4, but if they reveal the controller and it's still the same decade+ old design I'll probably just stick to PC+handheld this gen. My PS3 would have significantly more hours on it if it wasn't for the DS3.

yurinka

Sounds great.

Add trigger shaped triggers, more sensitive analogs with better grip and Vita's dpad. And the rest of DS3.

StuBurns

Banned
Those triggers are garbage, triggers in general are shit actually, but the 360 ones are far better than those stick on ones.

What I'd like are triggers with actual resistance on them, for driving games mostly.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Those triggers are garbage, triggers in general are shit actually, but the 360 ones are far better than those stick on ones.

What I'd like are triggers with actual resistance on them, for driving games mostly.

Considering how many times we need to press the triggers in today's games. No.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I love the trigger on the Move, I wouldn't mind if they used that one on DS4.

Yep. Best feeling triggers of all the controllers I have. Wide, comfortable, and not too much resistance. Sony needs to use that, stiffen the analogue sticks, and they are good to go.

I am still unsure how the touchpad could be used however. It will definitely make the ui a great deal easier to use, but for games? I am not sure. It seems designed to work like a laptop touchpad though, considering you can click it in.

Oh, really? Thought only Sony was doing it.

patent's from 2010 if I'm not mistaken. I've been eagerly waiting for them to include it in their yearly dashboard updates, but it probably wasn't technically possible.

it's a great feature that will have a pretty deep impact next gen. people making guides, ownage videos, clips of crazy glitches, slowdown, etc, bragging videos, etc. I can't wait. :D

Yep. Best feeling triggers of all the controllers I have. Wide, comfortable, and not too much resistance. Sony needs to use that, stiffen the analogue sticks, and they are good to go.

I am still unsure how the touchpad could be used however. It will definitely make the ui a great deal easier to use, but for games? I am not sure. It seems designed to work like a laptop touchpad though, considering you can click it in.

You use the touchpad like this:

izp3n0BtO5rvU.gif

Top Bottom