• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eric Andre speaks out against promoting Kodak Black and XXXTentacion

When if first heard anything by Tentacion I thought my friend was making a joke about it being fire. It blows my mind what some people think is good.

I never heard any of these allegations against him or Kodak until now so good on Eric Andre for taking a stance on it.

Can't I just hate them for making shitty music? What in the hell happened to rap music in the last couple years...
If you want good rap you need to seek it. The internet has given way to tons of rappers with a variety of sounds, styles, and messages. Both good and bad. If you actually care about the music then you'll find it, because it's out there.

LionPride

Banned
If you want good rap you need to seek it. The internet has given way to tons of rappers with a variety of sounds, styles, and messages. Both good and bad. If you actually care about the music then you'll find it, because it's out there.
Not really

But it seems a lot of people on OT when it comes to rap/hip hop, only want conscience shit and not anything else so eh

Can't I just hate them for making shitty music? What in the hell happened to rap music in the last couple years...
What the hell happened to rock music in the last couple of years?

You see what I'm doing?
I deadass don't believe a word out that nigga's mouth 99% of the time

But ain't no grown man saying faggot that much for no reason
Tyler has always been open to things. I can totally believe he is attracted to both men and women.
I mean how you gonna say this dude is trash? I'm sure a lot of people have heard this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j8ecF8Wt4E

That song isn't that bad. It's got a catchy melody and Amine looks like a funny dude with a lot of personality.

I'm aware some of it exists, but for every Kendrick Lamar there's about 100 Lil' Doucheys making generic ass songs full of embarassingly bad rhymes about tired concepts with bass-heavy beats and little substance.

So I'm not allowed to rap about sexual intercourse with women although that is how majority of humans got here?

Interesting.

What is the last mainstream rap song promoting the physical abuse of women?

Vice

Not really what? Not really there isn't any good rap anymore?
You don't really have to look hard to find good rap. Mainstream rap is as good as it has ever been. Kendrick, Drake and J Cole are some of the best selling rappers at the moment and are very good.older acts are still dropping good music. Migos, Yachty, etc. are no worse than any other flavor of the month rap groups from past eras and make pretty fun music

Greedings

Pretending like the issue isn't rampant through most genres of music and other expressive mediums

Firstly, is it?

Secondly, pointing out problems in one place doesn't mean he's saying there aren't problems somewhere else. Saying fuck him because he's pointed out faults in your favourite music is pretty childish.

Doc_Drop

Kodak and XXX make really good music

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EAZ5F7gYtzI

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Wh55mUvv788

Kodak is probably the most naturally talented rapper out today

XXX's music is a hybrid of punk and other rock, screamo, and hip hop. Really unique stuff

I have nothing to add to the main topic but the music is great
I know this is a couple of pages back, but don't even dare to try and say this has anything like punk attached. Punk is a definitively anti misogynistic genre at least in terms of any artist with integrity or a backbone.

Vice

I know this is a couple of pages back, but don't even dare to try and say this has anything like punk attached. Punk is a definitively anti misogynistic genre at least in terms of any artist with integrity or a backbone.
It can have punk influence and be misogynistic. And, punk rock has had a problem with misogyny for decades. Pop punk is filled with "nice guy" sexism and the more traditional scene has always had problems with how it treats minority groups outside of lip serve.

Vorheez

Firstly, is it?

Secondly, pointing out problems in one place doesn't mean he's saying there aren't problems somewhere else. Saying fuck him because he's pointed out faults in your favourite music is pretty childish.
Yeah it is, it's called patriarchy and it has been a systemic issue for centuries. Pointing the finger at Kodak and "pretending" like it's gonna change anything is shortsighted. You think Kodak honestly hops in the booth and thinks "how can I oppress the opposite sex and contribute to the deeply rooted sexist issues in the United States" every time he makes a song?

You guys currently have a resurgence of the white supremacy movement in your country and have a fucking orange as your president, but we are here getting on Kodak black because he calls women "bitches" in his music? Your country has its priorities all ass backwards.

Doc_Drop

It can have punk influence and be misogynistic. And, punk rock has had a problem with misogyny for decades. Pop punk is filled with "nice guy" sexism and the more traditional scene has always had problems with how it treats minority groups outside of lip serve.
I said artists with integrity or backbone, actual punk. Punk bands extolling misogyny should and likely are called out and would rightly have their shit called out.

Can you actually present actual examples?

Scenes are gonna have pieces of shit no doubt, as they follow the trends and ignore or not get the actual meaning and messages behind the music. I've been reading the NOFX biography and there was some seriously fucked up shit going on in LA but it's not hand waived, responsibility is taken and people grow. Skinhead and fascist ends of the punk are complete trash, no arguments there, its not punk to me.

Vorheez

Your dude is accused of rape.
Accused

Do you know what that means? Innocent until proven guilty? There's a justice system for a reason. I won't condemn a human being because of accusations, I'm a little more reasonable than that. I could accuse you of shit right now and I don't even know you. Should we condemn you too? Or are you judging Kodak because of how he looks and where he comes from?

Z..

Accused

Do you know what that means? Innocent until proven guilty? There's a justice system for a reason. I won't condemn a human being because of accusations, I'm a little more reasonable than that. I could accuse you of shit right now and I don't even know you. Should we condemn you too? Or are you judging Kodak because of how he looks and where he comes from?

Your entire attitude and discourse is completely idiotic (not to mention riddled with fallacies). Grade A stupid over here.

Vice

I said artists with integrity or backbone, actual punk. Punk bands extolling misogyny should and likely are called out and would rightly have their shit called out.

Scenes are gonna have pieces of shit no doubt, as they follow the trends and ignore or not get the actual meaning and messages behind the music. I've been reading the NOFX biography and there was some seriously fucked up shit going on in LA but it's not hand waived, responsibility is taken and people grow. Skinhead and fascist ends of the punk are complete trash, no arguments there, its not punk to me.
Most recently, The Dickies lead singer went on some type of sexist rant. Recently But, there are many good bioraphies about the treatment of women in the Punk scene throughout different eras. Some of the better ones are probably Girls to the Front and The Spitboy Rule, for the 90s era and the memoir of Viv from, The Slits members for the more vintage era.

On the poppier side of punk The Vans Warped tour had(has) a problem with some bands that are predatory.

Doc_Drop

Most recently, The Dickies lead singer went on some type of sexist rant. Recently But, there are many good bioraphies about the treatment of women in the Punk scene throughout different eras. Some of the better ones are probably Girls to the Front and The Spitboy Rule, for the 90s era and the memoir of Viv from, The Slits members for the more vintage era.

On the poppier side of punk The Vans Warped tour had(has) a problem with some bands that are predatory.
Thank you for bringing this up, I will have a look in to it. It's disappointing to hear of this, I usually prefer to stick to bands that practice what they preach. I'm not trying to pretend they're all angels.

On topic I respect Andre for calling shit out

Z..

Phew, thank god you guys aren't part of the justice system

You on the other hand seem to have just the right amount of infantile rhetoric and petulant arrogance in you to become very successful if you ever choose to pursue a career in public office. In North America, at least.

Think about what you're saying for a second... coming across as downright asinine.

Vorheez

You on the other hand seem to have just the right amount of infantile rhetoric and petulant arrogance in you to become very successful if you ever choose to pursue a career in public office. In North America, at least.

Think about what you're saying for a second... coming across as downright asinine.
It must have taken you a long ass time to write that post while looking up the meanings of all those big words

Sounding intelligent doesn't mean you are, so how about you actually contribute something or continue being useless

Just because you can enjoy an expensive steak doesn't mean you can't enjoy some cheap McDonalds.
For real. People be getting corny sometimes always jumping to RTJ and Kendrick whenever they wanna talk about "good rap". I like those dudes too but outside of a handful of songs ain't no one wanna hear that when they are trying to have fun, and just because someone ain't rapping about police brutality or whatever doesn't mean they can't make good music.

Like, bring on the dunking but I wanna see those "conscious" rappers produce something as bold or singular as some of the shit that Young Thug or Lil Uzi have put out. There's more to good rap outside of having "something to say".

Z..

It must have taken you a long ass time to write that post while looking up the meanings of all those big words

Sounding intelligent doesn't mean you are, so how about you actually contribute something or continue being useless

This is now a reality where the words I used can conceivably be referred to as "big words".

ik3wmbk0qziday3sq0.gif

Vorheez

I honestly can't tell if you just really hate Kodak Black or if you genuinely don't understand the reasons for having a justice system

Z..

For real. People be getting corny sometimes always jumping to RTJ and Kendrick whenever they wanna talk about "good rap". I like those dudes too but outside of a handful of songs ain't no one wanna hear that when they are trying to have fun, and just because someone ain't rapping about police brutality or whatever doesn't mean they can't make good music.

Like, bring on the dunking but I wanna see those "conscious" rappers produce something as bold or singular as some of the shit that Young Thug or Lil Uzi have put out. There's more to good rap outside of having "something to say".

I agree with this quite a bit especially since alot of my personal favorites are instrumental albums... however, despite there being more to good rap than having something to say, it's beyond discussion that all of the most celebrated albums the genre has ever produced (36 Chambers, Illmatic, Low End Theory, The Infamous, Ready To Die, Aquemini, It Takes A Nation Of Millions, Paul's Boutique, so on and so forth) have earned their reputations precisely because in addition to being great, musically... they all had something quite relevant to say. It is one of the most important aspects of a great hip hop musician and a staple that brought about what is today referred to as the golden age of hip hop and ultimately legitimized the genre in the general public's eye.
In other words, if plenty of artist are offering both, what's the incentive for settling with a lesser product in a market that is saturated with talent? As much as I loved Denzel Curry's last album, the impression it left on the scene didn't even begin to match what it could've achieved had the message behind it been worked on properly instead of mostly settling for the "old attitude with a new haircut" approach.

By the way, RTJ and Kendrick are both absolutely perfect for "having fun", not sure what your point was there.

You much like most people in here are conflating things for really no reason.
Eric is talking about the physical violence Kodak and XXXTetnus have done to women and how it needs to stop. People then have started talking about general misogyny within hip hop/rap and that's why the genre sucks. The real reality is patriarchy sucks, and you can find misogyny in any genre that's dominated by men which is to say damn near all of them. Only difference you'll run into is the level of abstraction.

Punk music might call out men who beat women, but no, the punk scene is sure as hell not calling out dudes who sing about being a nice guy and how women still reject them, or how they long to fuck hot women, or many of the various forms of misogyny that is ever present in Punk music. Again, you have conflated things. Punk rock much like rap, and pretty much almost every genre of music dominated by men live and thrive off of the male patriarchy and it's views on women/sex. This same phenomenon can be seen in country music as well.

Lastly you can't say the "skinhead and facist ends of the punk scene" acknowledging that they are sadly part of the punk scene then turn around and say "that's not punk to me." That's not how it works. It's the equivalent of saying "rappers who beat women...yea that's they're not part of the hip-hop scene." You accept the good and the bad.

The only way you're truly drowning out misogyny in music is if you exclusively listen to only female artists, and even then you'll still run into it a little because there is always female artists in a genre who buy into the patriarchy, this phenomenon is the same as to why some who voted Trump.

Doc_Drop

I honestly can't tell if you just really hate Kodak Black or if you genuinely don't understand the reasons for having a justice system
Are you just ignore the fact that historic rape and abuse cases are incredibly difficult and traumatising to prove in a court of law regardless of the fact that it has happened and continues to happen. And also ignore that the normalisation of said acts through lyric content may help perpetuate the idea that doing any of this is ok?

Doc_Drop

You much like most people in here are conflating things for really no reason.
Eric is talking about the physical violence Kodak and XXXTetnus have done to women and how it needs to stop. People then have started talking about general misogyny within hip hop/rap and that's why the genre sucks. The real reality is patriarchy sucks, and you can find misogyny in any genre that's dominated by men which is to say damn near all of them. Only difference you'll run into is the level of abstraction.

Punk music might call out men who beat women, but no, the punk scene is sure as hell not calling out dudes who sing about being a nice guy and how women still reject them, or how they long to fuck hot women, or many of the various forms of misogyny that is ever present in Punk music. Again, you have conflated things. Punk rock much like rap, and pretty much almost every genre of music dominated by men live and thrive off of the male patriarchy and it's views on women/sex. This same phenomenon can be seen in country music as well.

Lastly you can't say the "skinhead and facist ends of the punk scene" acknowledging that they are sadly part of the punk scene then turn around and say "that's not punk to me." That's not how it works. It's the equivalent of saying "rappers who beat women...yea that's they're not part of the hip-hop scene." You accept the good and the bad.

The only way you're truly drowning out misogyny in music is if you exclusively listen to only female artists, and even then you'll still run into it a little because there is always female artists in a genre who buy into the patriarchy, this phenomenon is the same as to why some who voted Trump.
That's fair and I stand corrected, I have conflated intention and action.
Edit - as well as making other assumptions

Z..

I'm starting to think you have to be trolling at this point. What the fuck are you even saying? I couldn't care less about Kodak and as I've previously stated this whole controversy wouldn't change how I feel about the music if the man was anything but piss poor average. The truth is your dude has a ridiculously long list of less than stellar behaviour you can easily read up on... That is further being cemented by these allegations being made against him and you waltz on in here shitting on Andre for daring to question the situation and start blabbering on with your demagogue bullshit (it means your reasoning lacks rational argumentation, Mr "big words"). It's blatantly obvious you already have a dog in this race, we get it... but do us all a favour and stop dragging people down to your level with dumbass remarks like that bolded statement. How stupid can you get?

Enough of your bile...

Vorheez

Are you just ignore the fact that historic rape and abuse cases are incredibly difficult and traumatising to prove in a court of law regardless of the fact that it has happened and continues to happen. And also ignore that the normalisation of said acts through lyric content may help perpetuate the idea that doing any of this is ok?
Nobody is ignoring those facts, but what do you suppose the alternative is? What are we supposed to do with accusations of rape or other heinous crimes? It's upsetting, I know, and if Kodak is proven guilty then lock his ass up and throw away the key, but putting a potentially innocent man in jail for years because we would rather be reactionary instead of rational is a scary road to go down. I very strongly believe in the necessity of our justice system and I refuse to condemn anyone for accusations laid upon them for any crime until the courts have a fair chance to decide their innocence/guilt. A society in which we live in where accusations are taken as truths is not a world I want to live in, especially in this day and age of social media. Being falsely accused of something can ruin lives, regardless of whether or not the crime was actually committed.

There was that story recently where (forgive my poor recalling of it) the ex-military man was falsely accused of rape, and the woman was trying to blackmail him on her blogs/social media. There was another story (also posted on gaf) of a man who dated a woman for three months, and after it didn't work out, she decided to accuse him of sexual abuse amongst many other things that were not true. Lastly, we all know the story of Kobe Bryant who was accused of rape, and the justice system deemed him innocent. Now these are only three examples, but that's all you need. Even if there is a CHANCE amongst hundreds of cases that allegations are false and a person is innocent, then the justice system is responsible for weeding out those cases. That is fair justice, and it is not to be taken lightly, as it is one of the pillars of modern civilization.

For clarification, because I know people are going to misinterpret this; I am not defending rape, and I am certainly not defending Kodak if he has done such things, but being accused of a crime does not mean one is guilty of that crime. That is a moral line I have drawn for myself that I will not cross. How would I, or anyone else, feel if we happened to be wrongly accused of something we didn't do? Something as horrific as rape or murder? And because of the nature of the act, the entire world is against us in this accusation and wants to lock us up and throw away the key. Do any of you have any clue what that would feel like? I won't partake in that mob mentality nonsense. I'm rational, and can acknowledge that every accusation made against someone is not always true, as has been proven countless times in the past. I will let justice take its rightful course in deciding the fates of people.

Doc_Drop

I understand the importance of the courts and the justice system. But proper justice doesn't always seem to be served given, for example, how many cops walk free from murder or at the least manslaughter charges with regards to killing young black men.

This can be a lack of evidence, it can also be prejudices on the parts of the jury, it can also be in cases of systematic cover up to shield officers from responsibility for their actions

M.J. Doja

Banned
Nobody is ignoring those facts, but what do you suppose the alternative is? What are we supposed to do with accusations of rape or other heinous crimes? It's upsetting, I know, and if Kodak is proven guilty then lock his ass up and throw away the key, but putting a potentially innocent man in jail for years because we would rather be reactionary instead of rational is a scary road to go down. I very strongly believe in the necessity of our justice system and I refuse to condemn anyone for accusations laid upon them for any crime until the courts have a fair chance to decide their innocence/guilt. A society in which we live in where accusations are taken as truths is not a world I want to live in, especially in this day and age of social media. Being falsely accused of something can ruin lives, regardless of whether or not the crime was actually committed.

There was that story recently where (forgive my poor recalling of it) the ex-military man was falsely accused of rape, and the woman was trying to blackmail him on her blogs/social media. There was another story (also posted on gaf) of a man who dated a woman for three months, and after it didn't work out, she decided to accuse him of sexual abuse amongst many other things that were not true. Lastly, we all know the story of Kobe Bryant who was accused of rape, and the justice system deemed him innocent. Now these are only three examples, but that's all you need. Even if there is a CHANCE amongst hundreds of cases that allegations are false and a person is innocent, then the justice system is responsible for weeding out those cases. That is fair justice, and it is not to be taken lightly, as it is one of the pillars of modern civilization.

For clarification, because I know people are going to misinterpret this; I am not defending rape, and I am certainly not defending Kodak if he has done such things, but being accused for something does not mean one is guilty of that crime. That is a moral line I have drawn for myself that I will not cross. How would I, or anyone else, feel if we happened to be wrongly accused of something we didn't do? Something as horrific as rape or murder? And because of the nature of the act, the entire world is against us in this accusation and wants to lock us up and throw away the key. Do any of you have any clue what the would feel like? I won't partake in that mob mentality nonsense. I'm rational, and can acknowledge that every accusation made against someone is not true, as has been proven countless times in the past. I will let justice take its rightful course in deciding the fates of people.

Hiphop geek MRA

Top Bottom