• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm sorry...me too, common movie lines that annoy you

Some variation of "I could kill you now, but I want to make you suffer".
This is horribly annoying

Like, Supreme bad guy decided to wax philosophical half the fight and then leaves themselves open for attack by the reinvigorated protagonist.

The only time this ever works is when they know each other, like
Wonder Woman

But when the characters barely know each other I just have WTF plastered all over my face the entire time.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm halfway through watching supernatural for the first time and I'm enjoying it, but if I hear someone say "can't or won't?" one more time I'm going to throw the t.v. out the window.
The show in general is guilty of a lot of this cliche cornball dialogue.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
"I'll tell you *this incredibly important information* later [once we got back from a place], [once we completed this mission], [once we rest up], [tomorrow]. [etc]"

Of course, before the information can be imparted, the person planning to give the information would get killed or something.

There's a variation of the OP's example featured in the later half of Angel's final season when
Gunn inadvertently sets Fred up to die horribly and an unsuspecting Wesley apologizes to Gunn for becoming unhinged in the face of tragedy. Gunn's sob when he says "So am I" was quite effective in selling the cliche dialogue.

I'm halfway through watching supernatural for the first time and I'm enjoying it, but if I hear someone say "can't or won't?" one more time I'm going to throw the t.v. out the window.
The show in general is guilty of a lot of this cliche cornball dialogue.

Dialogue is not one of the writing staff's strong suits. They also like the "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" bit a lot. Ive watched and loved the show since day one, but it's guilty of a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread.

zeemumu

When there's an action or misunderstanding that could just be explained away but the character goes about doing it in a weird way that solves nothing.

caliph95

Yeah. You don't need us to explain this to you, NeoGAF poster Berserking Guts, but the point of this thread isn't to talk about any kind of annoying trope, but specifically, dialogue lines, preferably short ones, that are overly common to the point of cliché.

You just don't get it, do you?

I'm sorry
Don't be smug fellow Neogaffer Morrigan Star. As you know we are on an online forum called Neogaf that is dedicated to hardcore gamers as intended. And as fellow Neogaffer on the off topic section made for discussion outside games it's important we stay on topic in this thread that As you recall is talking about reapeted tropes or specifically lines that a poster believes is overused or annoying.

Do you understand how important it is to stay on topic in this
I'm sorry too

I'd like to see one of these threads where there's a requirement to name three examples. For example, "there's a storm coming". I know it was in Terminator (1984) and Dark Knight Rises (2012). Two examples from movies almost two decades apart doesn't seem especially common. I'm curious as to whether I'm missing a bunch, or if people are just remembering something from two big genre films.

Horror movie ones are what pisses me off.

*Hears noise in the basement at night*

Let me not tell anyone and go down there myself with a flashlight.

Then there's the...

"You're in terrible danger. You have to leave"

Monocle

"We're not so different, you and I."

I groaned out loud when I heard this in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo remake. It totally took me out of the movie.

Top Bottom