• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Generation X Discussion (Born 1965–1979) - We actually played with toys!

MechDX

StarBird_MiltonBradley_1.jpg

dy7wIWTG3b30738e25aa3b2c02c4209822f0bcaa.jpg

Little known toy from Milton Bradley (the board game maker) but it was awesome!

and Tonka trucks made from steel and not plastic! I had this exact front loader!

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
That catalog was my Christmas wishlist. I'd circle what I wanted and leave the pages open for my parents.

It was a Canadian retailer where you'd go in and fill out a form for what you wanted then they'd go to the back and get it for you. The store was barebones to supposedly pass on the savings to consumers. They went bankrupt a long time ago.
Oh god, Consumers Distrubiting. I remember pouring over the catalogue. Fuzzy, do you remember Bargain Harold's and Biway? Probably a good portion of my clothes as a kid came from one or the other.

My brother had the Castle Greyskull which was super clue. He'd play with the He-Man figures and I'd bring She-Ra.

My Little Pony was more my thing. I had a ton of those. Probably my prize possession was a hand me down 3 floor Barbie house that was taller than me and had an elevator.

Mihos

Gold Member
I had a lot of AFX slot race track stuff. I think my mom would get them by the bagfull from yard sales. Half of them would be broken, but I mixed and matched my way through it

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Fuzzy, do you remember Bargain Harold's and Biway?
Funny (at least to me) story time. In July 1989 my family and my grandmother went to Portugal for a month. My father bought an 8mm camcorder earlier that year for that trip and recorded A LOT of footage during that vacation. One of the videos is my grandmother talking on the phone with my uncle here in Toronto on a pretty bad connection so she's talking kinda loud. The part that always cracked me me up is when she repeated the news that my cousin got a summer job at Bargain Harold's and how funny it sounded with her accent. When we got home my brothers and I all called my cousin Bargain Harold for a VERY long time. :lol

Xyrmellon

My prized toy possession is a Empire yoda figure I somehow managed to keep sealed. My mom got it for me at Children's Palace on clearance for fifty cents.

You got Rocklords?

A long time ago. I had most of those old toys. Sadly, I was terrible at keeping my room clean as a kid and my father would routinely throw my toys in the trash whenever they were left out. For over a decade the only Ghostbusters toy I still had was the Firehouse. Probably because that was the only one that cost a hundred bucks! That's probably also the reason my Transformers were spared a surprise visit from the trash collector. Even back then those things were expensive.

MechDX

My prized toy possession is a Empire yoda figure I somehow managed to keep sealed. My mom got it for me at Children's Palace on clearance for fifty cents.

I loved Childrens Palace. We had a huge one near Houston that I would wander around for hours in. It was about 3 times bigger than the local TRU

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Funny (at least to me) story time. In July 1989 my family and my grandmother went to Portugal for a month. My father bought an 8mm camcorder earlier that year for that trip and recorded A LOT of footage during that vacation. One of the videos is my grandmother talking on the phone with my uncle here in Toronto on a pretty bad connection so she's talking kinda loud. The part that always cracked me me up is when she repeated the news that my cousin got a summer job at Bargain Harold's and how funny it sounded with her accent. When we got home my brothers and I all called my cousin Bargain Harold for a VERY long time. :lol

LOL.

I still have a bunch of my old Transformers, half a dozen He-Man figures, and some other 80's gems in storage, like Madballs.

I remember my Castle Grayskull being dope AF:

castle_grayskull_04c4kl9.jpg

Hate to be "that guy" but ^ that is the Classics version of the Castle, released a few years ago on a now dead Mattel owned website.

The original version is more of a rectangluar mint green blob, with jawbridge and badly airbrushed black paint over the eyes and nose of the skull.

Snake Mountain was SO much better than Greyskull.

It was, for the microphone alone.

cr0w

Old Member

oh my god SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS CHILDREN'S PALACE

A toy store filled from top to bottom with every toy imaginable that was also a FUCKING CASTLE.

childrenspalace.jpg

I loved that place.

Remember candy cigarettes? I felt cool as hell being able to ride my bike down to the corner store and walk out with a can of Bubble Yum soda and a packet of candy cigarettes.

Oh, and I was born in 1980.

Shoeless

Only one kid in my neighborhood had this:

sandcrawler-front.jpg

None of us liked him. All of us pretended to just so we could get some access to this thing.

I feel I can relate with Gen X way more then the vast majority of Millennials. How many Millenials remember watching Johnny Carson, or using a typewriter?

Well indeed. I am the same age as you and remember neither of those things. My mom's secretary had a typewriter for envelopes.

adj_noun

1980. Generation It Varies Depending On Who's Drawing The Line.

Ok, Saturday morning cartoon were goddamn awesome, even if they were toy commercials.

But almost better than that were the cereal commercials! Which sometimes had storylines and you had to go SAVE CAPTAIN CRUNCH WE NEED TO BUY CAPTAIN CRUNCH MOM THE SOGGIES HAVE HIM. Good times.

I pointedly will not think about how many of my memories of my childhood are essentially marketing campaigns.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got this for Christmas when I was a kid. 1974 here.

It was the future when I got that for Christmas. Fully 360 degree rotating arm, articulating shoulder, elbow and wrist, 360 degree wrist rotation and open/closing the pincers. All mechanical. Noisy as hell though.

^ lol literally went down an 80s theme tune rabbit hole on youtube yesterday. Did they ever find the cities of gold?

The dividing line isn't simply being alive for events or using certain technologies. The guideline is that if you understand the significance of certain generation defining events at the time they happened you are a part of that generation.

Generally speaking the biggest difference between Gen-X and Millennials is that Gen-Xers were the last generation to understand the significance of the Cold War. Most older Millennials - 85-ish babies and maybe Younger GenXers (81-82) were too young to understand the significance of of things like the Berlin Wall coming down or Tiananmen Square or the collapse of the Soviet Union at the time they happened even if we were alive to see it happen live.

For me Gen X is defined by the following events:

The Collapse of the Soviet Union and communism

The early 90s recession

The Golden Age of Hip Hop

The Rise and Fall of Alternative Rock, Kurt Cobain's suicide.

The beginnings of the digital age.

The Clinton Years

Most GenXers were around and had an understanding of the significance of all those things as they happened.

For Millennials, even those of us who were alive were too young to understand many of those things at the time they happened. I remember - vaguely, watching live news footage of the Soviet Union becoming Russia again, but I was five at the time. I had no idea what actually happened. Our thing is:

9/11

Late 2000s Recession

The Maturing of the Internet

I had the one in the middle

HrtOsdu.jpg

Also had this, but left it out in the street one day and a car ran over him decapitating him. Years later I learned of its worth

XspumQ0.jpg

-NeoTB1-

70's Gen X checking in. I spent my childhood playing with stuff like Lincoln Logs, GI Joe, Micro Machines, LEGO, and the Atari 2600. I was also an avid sports card collector. Oh, and eating candy cigarettes. I think you can still buy these things, but they aren't just sitting on store shelves in the candy aisle these days.

Leynos

Perhaps more for us European heads

Ulysees 31
ByIyf6b.jpg

Mysterious Cities of Gold
q8rNorJ.jpg

I definitely remember Mysterious Cities of Gold since my brother is named Esteban, and we constantly called him the "Son of the Sun."

As for Ulysses 31, I remember watching it in Spanish in El Salvador when we went there a couple of times for summer vacation. I didn't quite catch everything as my Spanish is limited, but I remember liking it.

He-Man sucked. Transformers and GI-Joe were where it was at.

Definitely. And I couldn't care less about the G.I. Joe characters, but the vehicles were radical. I still am sore that I never was able to get a Soundwave toy. It was sold out every single damn time that my parents took me to the store to buy one. My mom finally got fed up, and demanded that I pick something, and in a panic I picked Dirge.

dirge.gif

I never was happy with that choice.

deadbeef

I remember going to play in the woods with my friends with toy machine guns and uzis that were all black and looked like the real thing at a glance minus the orange tip that we of course immediately removed.

vsMIC

The dividing line isn't simply being alive for events or using certain technologies. The guideline is that if you understand the significance of certain generation defining events at the time they happened you are a part of that generation.

Generally speaking the biggest difference between Gen-X and Millennials is that Gen-Xers were the last generation to understand the significance of the Cold War. Most older Millennials - 85-ish babies and maybe Younger GenXers (81-82) were too young to understand the significance of of things like the Berlin Wall coming down or Tiananmen Square or the collapse of the Soviet Union at the time they happened even if we were alive to see it happen live.

For me Gen X is defined by the following events:

The Collapse of the Soviet Union and communism

The early 90s recession

The Golden Age of Hip Hop

The Rise and Fall of Alternative Rock, Kurt Cobain's suicide.

The beginnings of the digital age.

The Clinton Years

Most GenXers were around and had an understanding of the significance of all those things as they happened.

For Millennials, even those of us who were alive were too young to understand many of those things at the time they happened. I remember - vaguely, watching live news footage of the Soviet Union becoming Russia again, but I was five at the time. I had no idea what actually happened. Our thing is:

9/11

Late 2000s Recession

The Maturing of the Internet

second gulf war, bush sen.

balkan crisis

techno

EU

I'm a late Gen Xer, and a child of the 80s and I can say I lived in a time before consumerism really took over: when pizzas actually had cheese, when cartoons didn't get dumbed down, when McDonalds fries actually tasted good because it used saturated fat oils. lol

What's your story, memories of being part of Generation X?

Dumbed down cartoons?

What cartoons are we talking about here? Because the realest cartoons in history were 90's Saturday morning shows.

X-Men and Exo-Squad would have been under investigation by the Reagan administration.

uss_flagg_by_gchildjr.jpg

If you're on the later end of Gen X, you know this was the holy grail of toys.

Good fucking Lord, to be the rich kid that actually had this.

This thread doesn't have enough Radio Shack references. Disappoint.

CsQ6fH2.jpg

8ANa4Y3.jpg

Born early 70's here. I had and loved this thing! To really appreciate it, you have to know it was entirely MECHANICAL. It had only one motor that would chug along and as you moved the joysticks, different gears and transmissions would engage and move the arm or claw in different directions. It was very complex (and slow moving) but amazing. I am sure a modern equivalent would just have separate motors or servos at each joint.

Edit : found a cool video showing the workings : https://youtu.be/zCiyR8s1vCo?t=84

Nephtes

I had this!
This castle/fort/whatever got knocked down and rebuilt so many times!
I was one of those Lord Business types who only built Legos to the specifications in the box, and then left them that way forever...
But this castle was too big to store... And my jerk little brother liked to smash it to pieces....

I'm sorry, but the original Jetfire was the ultimate toy.

ku-xlarge.jpg

What's this about Millennials not playing with toys? They didn't do butt stuff with them, did they? Seems like everything with Millennials is butt stuff.

Top Bottom