• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

cuilan

Can anyone confirm if the 1-month trials you get when you make a new account gives you have Gold status, or only multiplayer (like the 48-hour and 14-day trials)?

I'm 99% certain it's full Gold. I remember being able to download Gold-exclusive early demos when I created some secondary accounts for other regions.

Xbudz

The fact that Crackdown 2 ditched the transformable agent cars was one of the worst kicks to the nuts this generation.

Not cool Ruffian. Not fucking cool.

Yup, the transformable cars were a big part of what made the first Crackdown so awesome! I didn't like the zombie thing in Crackdown 2 either... and the same city, yet more broken-down left a lot of be desired.

The only thing Crackdown 2 had over part 1 is the 4 player co-op instead of 2.

The fact that Crackdown 2 ditched the transformable agent cars was one of the worst kicks to the nuts this generation.

Losing the dynamic between the 3 gangs was the big thing for me. Insurgents and Mutants didn't fill the void. The mutants were flat out boring. Big mistake that was.

ShogunX

The original Crackdown is one of the best games of this generation. If you treat the city as one big playground rather than bouncing from mission to mission you will have all kinds of fun. The DLC for the game is also very good and Keys to the city is a must. The pack that adds extra weapons and vehicles is also good mainly for the amazing harpoon weapon - You can stick people to vehicles :)

TheOGB

Banned

Xbudz

wdRxBuJ.png

Dio

Banned
Picked it up too, since I never played either Crackdown. Can't deny free games.

It's pretty slow, but then again everyone's probably downloading right now.

coma1138

Banned
So much for PS+ killer, MS.
I doubt it's meant as a response to the PS+ rental service.

They seem to be attempting two different things. Sony is trying to add value to get people to pay for PS+ (which they arguably have to do, since their network isn't that great). MS on the other hand don't have to do anything to get people to subscribe for Gold, since they already do. It seems more so as an attempt to get people excited for next gen games (if it ends up being the case that Crackdown 3, Fable 4, Defense Grid 2 are coming to the X1).

I doubt it's meant as a response to the PS+ rental service.

They seem to be attempting two different things. Sony is trying to add value to get people to pay for PS+ (which they arguably have to do, since their network isn't that great). MS on the other hand don't have to do anything to get people to subscribe for Gold, since they already do. It seems more so as an attempt to get people excited for next gen games (if it ends up being the case that Crackdown 3, Fable 4, Defense Grid 2 are coming to the X1).
And at the very least it gets people who only buy disks used to the idea of having a set of games at the ready, installed to disk.

For those who have never played CD, let's hear some impressions! Curious how well it holds up.
On a random lark I played some Crackdown 2 the past few nights and it holds up really well.

There was some screen tearing, and it took a bit to reprogram my muscle memory to accept (X) to switch weapons and (LB) to reload, but within minutes I was bounding across town like the hulk, only gunning down enemies with precision fire with each leap. You can get into the zone quickly.

Of course, this was continuing from where I left this agent from three years ago, with 5 stars in all stats and a nice collection of quality boom boom.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, you know what sucks?

I live in Brazil and I bought an XBox back when there wasn't a Live Service in Brazil, before the console was officially available here. I had to, obviously, make an American Live Account - which I would do anyway, because fuck the local store and prices.

Anyway, we all know what happens when that scenario is in place: Digitally Distributed content have "IP range whitelists" for countries that can download it, and if you don't fall in one of those, you can't download (or even buy) the content.

For instance: Gears of War is blocked in Germany, so only countries whose IP Ranges were listed in the White List could download that game. Since Brazil wasn't a country that had the service, IPs from Brazil couldn't download Gears of War DLC, even though you had an American XBLive account.

That was "easily" fixed by using a VPN to Start and then Finish the download. You could hop on a VPN, Start the download, hop out of the VPN (and lose Internet access in the meantime), download 79% of the game, disconnect the the Ethernet cable from the xbox, hop back on the VPN and download the last 1% (because apparently the last 20% are just server checks), which would make it easy to use free VPN servers to bypass this stupid restriction.

Anyway, I still have my US Live account, it's still gold and I'm still living in Brazil, and I'm finding that most (if not all) "Free with Gold" games are "Region Locked". In other words, I can't even "purchase" the free games with a Brazilian IP, neither on the WebStore nor on the console itself.

Sure, I can hop back on that VPN and "purchase" the game there, but I didn't manage to do the "start, disable VPN, download, enable VPN, confirm the download" trick with those Free games (I only tried with Fable 2 - not with Assassin's Creed 2).

I just tried to get Crackdown now and, again, "The purchase could not be finished at this time". Hopped on a US VPN and had no problem in "purchasing" Crackdown through the WebStore. I didn't try to download it yet, but I'm sure as hell that it'll corrupt the download if I try to finish it on a Brazilian IP address.

Region locking is such shit. I know that companies like to keep the revenue of a country in said country (sometimes to avoid taxation), but come the fuck on...

Cake Boss

Banned
This option is restricted to the primary member of this gold family pack.

Really MS, really?

So only the primary member can download it? or will I would be able to download it on my 360 once my buddy authorized it?

Edit: You can bypass this shit by just downloading it from xbox.com and assigning it to your console.

c0de

Doesn't work in Germany:

Es tut uns leid
Dieses Angebot ist in Ihrer Region nicht gültig.

So no fun with free games this months as both Crackdown and DR2 are banned in Germany. Thansk bpjm.

Edit: German users will get Shadowrun (just "bought" it) and Lost Planet 2. Damn...

The wing suit was awesome. And I did like the idea of the rogue agility orbs, even though they were bastards at times.

They were indeed bastards, but the feeling of satisfaction when you finally caught an especially elusive one was and still is unparalleled.

Hah, love this. We've all been there, all felt his pain. Those bastards orbs.

Indeed. Such a disappointment. The wing suit partly made up for it, but still...

Top Bottom