• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD stock is up 580% in 1 year. What?

gatti-man

Stocks aren't linked to reality. It's best to view them as adult baseball cards. Price is tied to emotion as much as financial numbers.

AMD is too big to fail.

Erm.......take a look at their balance sheet. It's out in the public.

if they really go under, i think only Qualcomm or Samsung or maybe even microsoft will buy them.

Both intel and Nvidia cannot/will not buy AMD due to anti-competition ruling.......though i think Nvidia will not even bother to waste that money even they were allowed to.

Sotha_Sil

AMD and CD Projekt would have been great investments a year ago. Alas, I think it's to late to get on the AMD train.

Ploid 3.0

I finally moved over to the intel CPU side, and I felt slight regret because I didn't know about Ryzen. I did get a AMD card though, and am looking forward to more DX12 games, like xbox one people.

Zen looks very promising. Rumor has it that Intel feels threatend enough to do a Kaby-Lake makeover.
Also the stock was so low...there was no way but up essentially.

A lot is riding on Zens success, but we can hope that this will break Intel dominance at least enough to get a competition going again.

D: ........ -_-

Whatever, my next CPU will be amazing I'm sure. I hope I don't need new memory again when my next upgrade is due.

dr_rus

Opinions (which you expressed) aren't facts

The fact that their stock could not go lower as it actually could not go lower no matter how hard they tried to push it for about three years is an opinion?

xzmc.png

The fact that they aren't out of the woods yet because they haven't actually launched anything radically new yet and we don't know how it will affect their financials once launched yet is an opinion?

Okay then, enjoy your magic world with fairies and unicorns. Just do me a favor - don't pretend to understand what I'm saying.

dr_rus appearing in AMD threads is a FACT!

No, that's an opinion and a wrong one at that.

Papacheeks

Banned
The fact that their stock could not go lower as it actually could not go lower no matter how hard they tried to push it for about three years is an opinion?

xzmc.png

The fact that they aren't out of the woods yet because they haven't actually launched anything radically new yet and we don't know how it will affect their financials once launched yet is an opinion?

Okay then, enjoy your magic world with fairies and unicorns. Just do me a favor - don't pretend to understand what I'm saying.

Technically they could go lower as in, removed from stock exchange which is where Madcatz is close to sitting currently.

They launched id ranged cards for really cheap prices that are still seeing gains in their driver support, they also launched recently in the past year or so Crimson which has been great in terms of it's feature set. They showed with drivers and support for DX12, VULKAN API that their old cards can still be viable for people not seeking the latest and greatest.

So they didn't go all out like NVIDIA has recently in what they offer for products. What they did do was execute a plan to sell cards for a different demographic than what mostly Nvidia aims for. ANd it worked along with their plans for shaping software updates for game performance, fixes etc.

The past couple nvidia driver releases have broken games and there's even threads on it. They have been doing a better job as a company than you are giving them credit for. They are releasing a new CPU socket and set again that wont alienate people who want to use older OS's like Windows 7, 8.1 like Intel has with Kabey lake.

You are in every thread about AMD always there to shit never to give them the benefit of the doubt. I currently run a intel setup with a amd card that was a GTX 770 and before that a GTX 570, and before that a GTX 285, and before that 2x 7900GTX's in sli.

I have purchased 2 radeon/amd cards in my lifetime and am willing to give credit to a company that was literally the laughing stock of the internet and PC community's.

I understand your stance and you are right that they still have a lot to prove with Ryzen, but to not give credit where they set out to do what they planned and have gotten positive reception with critics and buyer's is really stretching your point of view.

There's a correlation of various things that are somewhat promising for AMD at the moment, driving up interest in the company and thus, stock prices.

PS4 and Xbox One are now proven successes, and have released new iterations on their base level hardware in the last year, with promises of future, even more powerful iterations still on the way. The RX 400 series has increased their sales from previous years, even if unable to increase AMD's overall market share (though that's more down to just how well Nvidia has done with Pascal, as I understand it), and the potential for Vulkan leaves room for performance growth. AMD are launching a new line of CPUs for the first time in years, promising a long overdue challenge to Intel, and promising a new set of GPUs that might be able to compete with Nvidia's high end hardware.

All of that put together is perfect fuel for something as speculation driven as stock prices; the question is how well these gains'll hold in the long run.

SMattera

Lot of excitement around GPU technology with self-driving cars and VR just over the horizon.

Look at NVDA. Even more impressive of a gain given that they started out in a much better spot.

Papacheeks

Banned
There's a correlation of various things that are somewhat promising for AMD at the moment, driving up interest in the company and thus, stock prices.

PS4 and Xbox One are now proven successes, and have released new iterations on their base level hardware in the last year, with promises of future, even more powerful iterations still on the way. The RX 400 series has increased their sales from previous years, even if unable to increase AMD's overall market share (though that's more down to just how well Nvidia has done with Pascal, as I understand it), and the potential for Vulkan leaves room for performance growth. AMD are launching a new line of CPUs for the first time in years, promising a long overdue challenge to Intel, and promising a new set of GPUs that might be able to compete with Nvidia's high end hardware.

All of that put together is perfect fuel for something as speculation driven as stock prices; the question is how well these gains'll hold in the long run.

That's something no one can predict at this current time, what we can all I think agree on is AMD is at least heading in a better direction company wise. Bringing Radeon back was smart, having a platform that is more open with developers and their partners like Crimson is a solid foundation.

Fularu

Banned

xzmc.png

Yes

I suggest you look up the definitions of the words "Facts" and "Opinions"

Opinions are made around facts. An analysis is most of the time one's opinion around a set of events (or facts).

The stock could have went lower, it could have been suspended, it could have been diluted, it could have gone any different way, instead, the market cap of the company was increased almost 7 fold.

Don't like no one is aware of your little game in AMD threads or your nVidia pandering whenever possible, especially when they screw up and like clockwork, you show up to defend their honor

You're an open book.

Momentary

Banned
I sold off my AMD shares at an average of about $13.00. I originally jumped in it to do some day trading but decided to leave my money in there.

NVIDIA is doing fantastic as well. I bought tons of shares back in 2012, but I might hold on to it a little longer.

Man... tech and marijuana stocks making people make huge amounts of money.

Ushay

So what is it that's pushing it up? Their graphics cards market, or the console APU deals they have?

Or Scorpio? :p

if they really go under, i think only Qualcomm or Samsung or maybe even microsoft will buy them.

Both intel and Nvidia cannot/will not buy AMD due to anti-competition ruling.......though i think Nvidia will not even bother to waste that money even they were allowed to.
They are too big too fail as stated. I work for one of the companies you named and that's why I stated this. They would get bought by someone and please don't forget to throw Apple and Taiwanese Simiconductor in as potential buyers.

Papacheeks

Banned
So what is it that's pushing it up? Their graphics cards market, or the console APU deals they have?

Or Scorpio? :p

Video cards, Apu's mainly their laptop apu's like the A10 9700P series and up. Consoles they have a good contract but I don't remember it bringing in tons of money for them? Maybe PS4 PRO and scoprio they get better returns on?

I know that people are buying ton's of cheap $200< video cards and with the Crimson drivers along with vulkan api giving life to older cards people are buying those as well to clear out stock which is good.

So it's a bit of both but I would say biggest contributing factor are the RX 400 series.

NimbusD

They're capturing the low end market, and if PC gaming is going to expand, it's in the low end before people jump in on the high end. They have the most potential for growth.

Nikodemos

I'm somewhat salty about not buying AMD stock when it was $2.35.

Also, if that far-fetched rumour about them ending up making video drivers for Intel does come true, nVidia's about to get run over. A lot of people here in the East play LoL/DOTA2/WOW/etc. on integrated graphics.

Takes money to make money.
Ain't that the truth. I'd say this moment in the history of mankind is one when it's easiest to become richer if you're already rich.

I'm somewhat salty about not buying AMD stock when it was $2.35.

Always hard because I wanted to, but have so little money as a student. This is the 4th time in a few years I could have made a really healthy chunk of change. But I don't even know how to open a trade account without way more money than I have.

Takes money to make money.

They're capturing the low end market, and if PC gaming is going to expand, it's in the low end before people jump in on the high end. They have the most potential for growth.

The 480 has proved to be a phenomenal card from a value perspective, even without great OC potential. I'm very happy about AMD's performance. It's almost certainly compounded by console support. Great time for AMD.

Nikodemos

Wasn't there news of a potential MS buyout at some point?
MS don't want hardware IPs. They've never been good at using them, and the current leadership know that.

Only somebody like Samsung, who are entirely willing to go nuclear on licences, would want to buy them and have the cash on hand to afford it. AMD's IP library is second only to nVidia's own.

Wedzi

Banned
MS don't want hardware IPs. They've never been good at using them, and the current leadership know that.

Only somebody like Samsung, who are entirely willing to go nuclear on licences, would want to buy them and have the cash on hand to afford it. AMD's IP library is second only to nVidia's own.

Yeah I always figured if MS was going to go down that road it would be a mobile chip provider considering their mobile first approach anyways. But that shipped has probably sailed awhile ago.

iMax

There were fairly advanced rumours last year, IIRC, that Microsoft was pursuing an acquisition. Don't think they went anywhere though.

SRG01

context is key....AMD is so cheap in early 2016 and quadrupling seems like more than possible......also remember, AMD has ALOT of debt.....more than the industry average......for anyone else, DO NOT buy and i don't think AMD will ever go beyond $15.

not to piss on the AMD party here here's my NVDA portfolio, a company with ZERO debt, BILLIONS in cash, and dividends for investors....all eyes on nvidia this thursday earning call....last quarter earning call and crazy rally is some of the craziest i've ever seen..

tQoK6Nh7W.png

They removed a bunch of debt off its books during their share dilution last year.

edit: I can offer my analysis on the current AMD financial situation, the first being:

- Continuing YoY growth, which is key to their recovery
- Healthy and sustainable sources of income, especially semi-custom
- Guidance is good, most of which is agreed upon by the street. Barron's just put out a very good article too.
- Surpassed guidance for multiple quarters, and near or above breakeven on non-GAAP basis for the past two quarters
- Did I mention guidance yet?
- New product launches with Ryzen -- this is the real deal, seriously -- along with Vega -- not much info on Vega at the moment
- Good yields at GloFo, along with a renegotiated wafer agreement

I could go on and on as to why AMD has more room to run up, but the point is that AMD is in an extremely good position at the moment. Also keep in mind that they don't have to dominate the market in order for the stock to go up; they just have to chip away at Intel's market share and light a fire under their current pricing scheme. They can now finally do that with a competitive product on the horizon.

And as for the doubts about Ryzen, I only have two words: Jim Keller.

edit2: nVidia got downgraded by Roth today.

zer0das

Banned
1. Their non-GAAP loss was only 1 cent per share for Q4 2016. That's before any of the high end graphics cards or Ryzen dropped.
2. They made cloud computing deals with Google and Alibaba. They're going to start reaping a larger percentage of the cloud computing market.
3. There's also rumors Intel is licensing GPU technology from them because Intel's contract with Nvidia expired, and Nvidia is the stronger competitor so Intel is unlikely to want to continue paying them.
4. In light of the above, people are expecting a rather brisk recovery if Ryzen and Vega don't completely bomb.

Also their cash to debt ratio isn't that bad, they could practically pay off all their debt now if they wanted to.

Dmax3901

How do you research what to buy stocks in? Surely if there's a good time to buy stock then everyone will know and it'll make the whole thing pointless.

SRG01

Also their cash to debt ratio isn't that bad, they could practically pay off all their debt now if they wanted to.

Yeah, this was emphasized after their last quarter. They're in the enviable position of being in an extremely good financial position for a semi company.

There were fairly advanced rumours last year, IIRC, that Microsoft was pursuing an acquisition. Don't think they went anywhere though.

IIRC, there's some sort of provision where an entity cannot own more than 20% of total shares of AMD without triggering something. That was brought up during the new Wafer Agreement prior to the share dilution.

How do you research what to buy stocks in? Surely if there's a good time to buy stock then everyone will know and it'll make the whole thing pointless.

Check technical indicators, balance sheets, rumors/word of mouth. Look into the markets that a company is in, and recognize key areas of growth.

Top Bottom