• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Xbox One X vs Xbox One: First Look

SpotAnime

I think I like the softer look for this. Seemed to be more cinematic and seems to be in line with the overall package.

It'd be cool if they did 720p/1080p base resolution and 60fps, but that seems out of the question.

Space_nut

Not really? The problem with QB on PC was maintaining 60fps at high res, 30fps is the easy part.

No to get anywhere near 60fps at 1080p you need a 1080gtx

Every other gpu you need to either turn down graphics or run at around 30fps locked with ultra settings

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looked great, this is probably one of the few games I would get an XB1 or XBX for if a good deal emerges.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, it's not as good as Alan Wake.
That’s debatable I think. Alan Wake’s core mechanics were never as engaging to me and you spent too much time running through areas that looked identical to one another. QB felt more like a Max Payne sequel in many ways. I can understand why people didn’t like it, though, but I had a great time with it.

Gestault

That’s debatable I think. Alan Wake’s core mechanics were never as engaging to me and you spent too much time running through areas that looked identical to one another. QB felt more like a Max Payne sequel in many ways. I can understand why people didn’t like it, though, but I had a great time with it.

I'm a HUGE Alan Wake fan, but this is how I felt about the combat (as opposed to exploration) between the games.

That's not a good look for MS.

A vast majority of games updated for Pro were also made by one, maybe two, people. Also, the update is not being made by MS at all. They don't own the dev or have any say in what they work on. A guy is reportedly making the patch as a sort of passion project. If true, this patch probably wouldn't have existed at all.

Spasm

It's too bad this upgrade is only one person doing it in their spare time. I'd love to see at least modest resources go into this. I need an excuse for another play-through, and a really nice 4k presentation would do it.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Every other gpu you need to either turn down graphics or run at around 30fps locked with ultra settings

That means that the game is poorly optimized for the pc.

So it's miles from True 4K and has obvious and glaring performance issues but this is still somehow evidence of One X being super amazing.

Righto

The game is constructing a higher res based on a 1440p buffer. It won't look like a 1440p game just like the original one doesn't look like a 720p game.

Ah, so basically like what the PS4 Pro has been doing for a year

Definitely doing a second run through this game on the Xbox One X in the 2160p mode. Hope they tighten up the minor frame rate and screen tearing issues before launch.

Head.spawn

So they dropped the og x1 resolution from 1080p to 720p between f6 and f7 to cater for the visuals of the x1x version and people are fine with this?

Forza 6 is 1080p/60fps.
Forza 7 demo is 720p/60fps....ish.

The only reason for the downgrade in clarity is to benefit the x1x version.

Hahaha. Oh shit. Wrong thread.

When you start the morning trolling up Xbox threads they all start to look the same perhaps. lol

Does the X support input from 1440p displays for a game like this?

Incoming? Maybe?

UbIoiaY.png

So it's miles from True 4K and has obvious and glaring performance issues but this is still somehow evidence of One X being super amazing.

Righto

From what I remember, it's not quite a similar implementation. There also seems to be a lot more artifacting on Remedy's technique, specially on heavy movement. To be honest, I'm all for reconstruction techniques, but QB's solution doesn't feel as robust as Checkerboard or Temporal Injection does now.

I thought the base combat in this game was much better than alan wake, but found myself coimpletely bored with the story, the television show, and also the fact that there were so many "read my emails" kind of side story elements. The game should have had waaaaaay more combat.

I was also hella confused at the game's completely lack of real reloading animations. After max payne 2, or basically, since the game is highly detailed cinematic TPS game... I would at least expect realistic gun behaviour and magazines and what not to actually work.

Comparing final X1X settings with PC ones should be rather eye opening, but I imagine, things like SSR or AO will generally just look that much better at higher res even though they may align with lower settings on the PC version.
I wonder if they'll roll any performance increases into the PC version, which was incredibly poorly optimised.

The DX12 win 10 store version was horribly optimized on NV, 20% less power usage than any other game on my system in that version while running framerate uncapped (DX12 is supposed to increase power utilisation in uncapped scenarios btw!). But the DX11 version apparently fixes that as it relies in the superior NV driver for so much. On the higher settings the game is "unoptimised", but if you settle for medium or lower (basically x1 settings), the game's graphics tend to scale much more "linearly" with GPU grunt.

Righto

Yes, because it's a game xbone originally ran in 720p.

Pro has been doing 1440p for some games ps4 ran at 1080p.

peppers

Looks fantastic even on the iPad. If they could manage to include an fps cap toggle for the 1080p mode it'd be perfection...

I'd like to personally thank the Remedy dev who got this done.

KainXVIII

That's debatable I think. Alan Wake's core mechanics were never as engaging to me and you spent too much time running through areas that looked identical to one another. QB felt more like a Max Payne sequel in many ways. I can understand why people didn't like it, though, but I had a great time with it.

QB has too little gameplay moments, maybe even less than Uncharted 3 (and too many bloated and boring cutscenes, especially live-action)

It looks really good for a demandig game like QB.

But.

It's not what they promised, isn't it? This is the disappointing part, not the game itself.

From the first paragraph of the article you linked:

"any games we're making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K."

- any game we're making
- that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame

Does the above apply to Quantum Break? Also, try not to be too disappointed. I'm still going to have a blast playing through the game again with all these new bells and whistles and I'm sure many other people are as well :)

Ehker

onQ123

Xbox One X is a beast

This is easily one of the best graphical game to date

Hold up! what happened to your repeated "Native >> checkerboard rendering" posts that you was doing a few days ago? in this video he clearly says that it doesn't look 4K like checkerboard rendering does.

Lupercal

Banned
Well, the MS 4K concept includes checkerboard/dynamic resolutions so I assume they would include QB's resolution as 4K aswell.

shandy706

This game is an absolute beast Hardware requirement wise.

Actually surprised me they were trying to run it at this high a resolution on the X1X.

onQ123

When you start the morning trolling up Xbox threads they all start to look the same perhaps. lol

Incoming? Maybe?

UbIoiaY.png

This would be great because there is a lot of people with monitors in between 1080P & 4K & they shouldn't have to drop down to 1080P just because the resolution of the monitor isn't 4K.

kuYuri

But that's what I'm talking about. You don't need a GTX 1080 to run QB at 1440p/30fps (or 1400p, whatever the XB1X version is).

You know this how?

Mark Cerny said that most devs putting out patches for already released games only needed and were assigning a person to a patch since it doesn’t take much time to make one (he estimated that one person can get a patch done in two weeks).

Temporal reconstruction = checkerboarding?

Tearing and performance issues, yikes.

So they dropped the og x1 resolution from 1080p to 720p between f6 and f7 to cater for the visuals of the x1x version and people are fine with this?

Forza 6 is 1080p/60fps.
Forza 7 demo is 720p/60fps....ish.

The only reason for the downgrade in clarity is to benefit the x1x version.
What a pathetic fanboy trolling attempt full of utter factual bullshit. Effort 1/10

Space_nut

Hold up! what happened to your repeated "Native >> checkerboard rendering" posts that you was doing a few days ago? in this video he clearly says that it doesn't look 4K like checkerboard rendering does.

Hold Up! lmao

Native is better than checkerboard. If a system can run QB at native 4k compared to checkerboard 4k then its better.

When did i every say a game not running in native 4k isn't good? Please show me

Top Bottom