• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Damn, really? Well that just makes me respect him a little less. Terrible thing to say.

I guess if I can count Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane as one of my all time favorite Metal albums (you know, despite Jon Nödtveidt murdering someone), I can still listen to the music of somebody who used the N word. Still, that's unacceptable.

I don't really pay attention to the attitude/personal view of a bandor its members. I have no problem with separating the music and the views/actionsof the artist(s). I'll even tolerate it when the music contains objectional themes.

Yeah, I get it. Sometimes it's necessary to separate the art from the artist. Hell, my favorite band is The Smiths. Despite that, I will freely admit to having a dislike of Morrissey. Just seems like a massive douche bag overall, from his overall personality to his absolutely bananas commentary he's made towards...well, too many things to list. Definitely somebody I would pass on meeting in person.

Johnny Marr was the best part of The Smiths anyway

Currently listening to Malevolent Creation's The Ten Commandments again. Anybody else here familiar with that album and enjoy it?

Ten Commandments and Retribuition are fucking classics. You should also check out Solstice's S/T album. Not the doom band Solstice, but the death metal one obviously.

I don't really pay attention to the attitude/personal view of a bandor its members. I have no problem with separating the music and the views/actionsof the artist(s). I'll even tolerate it when the music contains objectional themes.

Thats how I feel about Arghoslent and Grand Belial's Key. After all, its all about the riffs :p

My friend recommended I get into Graveland, but failed to mention a good starting album.

Lead me into the darkness, oh Metal-GAF brethren and sistren!

Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy quits :(

Damnit, I'm seeing them for the first time this June and was really looking forward to seeing her on stage. The greatest metal vixen in the world!

Hope this Alissa White-Gluz is up to par.

She is. Last The Agonist album was really good. Their new singer also is not that bad judging from the 5 seconds we can hear her in the new teaser.

It's just sad that I won't see my first Arch Enemy show with Angela next summer . Seems like I'm always a bit too late. Same with Nightwish and Tarja...

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Just listened to Elements by Atheist for the first time.

Good lord that album is insane. Not as heavy as Unquestionable Presence but still great, and dare I say catchy.

Samba Briza caught me completely off guard.

Kaladin

A "demo" of Metallica's new song from their jam session; The Lords of Summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiOtev3rEKI

I'm digging it. The lyrics aren't all that great and will most likely change over time, but the rest of the music is there so thats I'm happy.

Now they just need to make sure it's mastered properly.

I have the demo versions for Death Magnetic....Hetfield's early lyrics can be either spot on or really really different, or sometimes it's just a basic tune. It's interesting to see into their writing process with that though.

Just listened to Elements by Atheist for the first time.

Good lord that album is insane. Not as heavy as Unquestionable Presence but still great, and dare I say catchy.

Samba Briza caught me completely off guard.

It's such a "relaxing" album. I can't fully get into the album that much. If I need a bass playing fix I'll pop that one because it's more of Tony Choy's album than it is Atheist. One thing that bugged me the most on that album is the high level of recording which contains popping noise issues all over the place.

It's such a "relaxing" album. I can't fully get into the album that much. If I need a bass playing fix I'll pop that one because it's more of Tony Choy's album than it is Atheist. One thing that bugged me the most on that album is the high level of recording which contains popping noise issues all over the place.

Yep, Elements for me has always been a weird one. It's the only Atheist album from the early years that I can't really get into fully. Presence is a masterpiece of course, as it Piece of Time.

Really though, I feel that Atheist is like Cynic for me. Once they got back together, they haven't been able to come remotely close to what they did in their prime. Jupiter just didn't do it for me.

Ten Commandments and Retribuition are fucking classics. You should also check out Solstice's S/T album. Not the doom band Solstice, but the death metal one obviously.

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I know of the Doom Metal band, but not the Death Metal band yet.

Really though, I feel that Atheist is like Cynic for me. Once they got back together, they haven't been able to come remotely close to what they did in their prime. Jupiter just didn't do it for me.

Jupiter would have been a much better album if it had even half the bass presence of old Atheist. Other than that I thought the song writing was really solid, not Unquestionable Presence good but damn good none-the-less.

Also I really like the new Cynic, I never enjoyed the robot voice/lame growl dichotomy on their older stuff, and there's none of that on the new one.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
New Pilgrim track sounds incredible. Scratches every itch I go to doom for.
Wow, I totally forgot about Pilgrim, that last album was pretty solid. Looking forward to the new one.

Holy shit at this year in doom and sludge. Conan, Thou, Bongripper, Eyehategod, Pilgrim, and I'm guessing the new Pallbearer and Electric Wizard too...

blahness

Wow, I totally forgot about Pilgrim, that last album was pretty solid. Looking forward to the new one.

Holy shit at this year in doom and sludge. Conan, Thou, Bongripper, Eyehategod, Pilgrim, and I'm guessing the new Pallbearer and Electric Wizard too...

and YOB

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
troll2omgv1cmr.gif

Caladrius

Epica just released a single from the upcoming The Quantum Enigma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePrtEMmX9Y

It's pretty solid, but it sounds like they're trying to push Simons too far up her range at points.

I'm the exact opposite. I can appreciate good musicianship but can't get an album with the knowledge that it contributes to some asshat's royalties. That unfortunately limits my portfolio (especially considering I'm not exactly the most popular kind of person in the Metal community), but I feel that's preferable to the alternative.

Ushiwaka

Outstanding group; probably my favorite Folk Metal band. If you haven't heard Kivenkantaja yet by them, it's their best. The first track of that album in particular is a huge standout.

Kivenkantaja and Verisäkeet are my favorite Moonsorrow albums. :D Their work is truly amazing. There are a lot of gems in the world of Folk Metal, really. The mixture of instruments lets some outstanding stuff to happen.

By the way, can't wait for the new Eluveitie album this year! Those guys are amazing too.

Cripes, that Pilgrim album cover is one of the most badass ones I've seen in a long, long time

EDIT: Quote from the main dude behind the band:

"The majority of our fantasy influence, though, comes from the crazy fucking role-playing video games that I used to play as a kid, like The Legend of Zelda, Diablo, Final Fantasy, and The Elder Scrolls. I would sit in front of a screen for days, weeks, months, literally years, worshipping these games and playing them over and over. I was quite the little nerd. "

"The majority of our fantasy influence, though, comes from the crazy fucking role-playing video games that I used to play as a kid, like The Legend of Zelda, Diablo, Final Fantasy, and The Elder Scrolls. I would sit in front of a screen for days, weeks, months, literally years, worshipping these games and playing them over and over. I was quite the little nerd. "

This guy forgot to put Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss.

Cripes, that Pilgrim album cover is one of the most badass ones I've seen in a long, long time

EDIT: Quote from the main dude behind the band:

Welp I'm going to start listening to them just because of the quote.

Kaladin

Fucking awesome. First time really listening to Agalloch actually, don't know why I didn't before hand.

Also congrats to our overlord (i.e. thread creator, Mr. Sandman) on his recent acquisition of a badass female counterpart. While I haven't talked to anyone else in this fine community about it (because that would be insanely weird), I hope I speak on behalf of all of us when I say congratulations, and best of luck brotha. It's always great when something good happens to a fellow Metal-GAFfer.

Now, if you can get her into true metal of ANY kind, you know she's a real keeper

Somehow I missed this....thanks. I'm working on the metals with her. As I said in the other thread, she likes clean vocals....I know she's a fan of Iron Maiden already, so stuff like that is good. She might actually like Agalloch too....she liked the new track at least.

New Pilgrim track sounds incredible. Scratches every itch I go to doom for.

This does sound awesome....I've been looking for some good doom lately and their fantasy themes are great.

Epica just released a single from the upcoming The Quantum Enigma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePrtEMmX9Y

It's pretty solid, but it sounds like they're trying to push Simons too far up her range at points.

I dig it, looking forward to hearing more.

I REALLY need some good new Death Metal. Only one I can think of is Artificial Brain. Damn.

I'm really not in the mood for this doom stuff for this year. Slow and repetitive, boring.

First song with Arch Enemy's new singer is up on Vimeo: War Eternal

The positive: They still sound like themselves - heavy, deathy and melodicy.
The Negative: She doesnt sound as evil as Angela... (she doesnt look as evil as well :p )
Pf81wSL.png

You can still tell it's Arch Enemy, which is a good thing for me. She's not quite as good as Angela, IMO but, capable enough to keep the machine turning.

Why did Angela got out of Arch Enemy, anyway?

She wants to do more on the business end, like management. She's part of the Arch Enemy management team now, and will be handling other bands as well.

Also on a different note...new Aborted. Fuck yeah

First song with Arch Enemy's new singer is up on Vimeo: War Eternal

The positive: They still sound like themselves - heavy, deathy and melodicy.
The Negative: She doesnt sound as evil as Angela... (she doesnt look as evil as well :p )
Pf81wSL.png
That's interesting. I thought they would use Allissa's clean vocals at least a bit. As a The Agonist fan AND an Arch Enemy fan I don't know if I should be glad or sad...

Good song, nevertheless.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I REALLY need some good new Death Metal. Only one I can think of is Artificial Brain. Damn.

I'm really not in the mood for this doom stuff for this year. Slow and repetitive, boring.
Well, the new Behemoth is pretty good.

Also, that feel when you come home after a long ass day of work and find these puppies in your mail:

obin_gam

That's interesting. I thought they would use Allissa's clean vocals at least a bit. As a The Agonist fan AND an Arch Enemy fan I don't know if I should be glad or sad...

Good song, nevertheless.

If Arch Enemy goes clean... no, no they cant. It would be utterly terrible imo.

Came across news, that the majestic DEAD CONGREGATION are to release their second album in May. That information compelled me to listen to them after a while and....huh, wow. So damn good. The guitar tone and songwriting on this album are flawless. Hail the hellenic overlords!

Dead Congregation - Teeth Into Red

So guys, who are your "it" bands? The bands you can listen to no matter what, where you like just about every song they do, where you can listen to them no matter what mood your in, and you never get bored of them.

For me its gotta be Manowar and Metallica.

So guys, who are your "it" bands? The bands you can listen to no matter what, where you like just about every song they do, where you can listen to them no matter what mood your in, and you never get bored of them.

For me its gotta be Manowar and Metallica.

Godflesh and Autopsy. It used to be Iron Maiden, but I have that shit ingrained.

Top Bottom