• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azriell

Complete List

King's Quest - Chapter 2
Platform: PS4
Time: 5:00
Date: 12.01
Score: (3/5)

This chapter wasn't as good for me as the first one was. I think it's because this chapter perfectly embodies the moment in classic adventure games when you have a limited set of places to go and items in your invetory, but you can't figure out what to do next, so you just run around and bang your head against every wall until you finally figure it out. I'm hoping that the next chapter picks back up.

fe17

Neo Member
I'm very late to this post but I've actually beaten this challenge. Here are my games (and my backloggery page:
http://backloggery.com/furkane17)

January
Games Beaten: 9
Best Game: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Worst Game: Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy
Abandoned Games: 2 - HoPiKo, Wolfenstein - Old Blood

01. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (PC/Uplay)
Playtime: 10 hours
Rating: 6/10
The first PoP game I've ever played. It was solid and aged pretty well actually. The combat went on for way too long sometimes and the controls responded badly from time to time.

02. Wolfenstein - New Order (PS4)
Playtime: 15 hours
Rating: 9/10
Incredible FPS game. I expected an average shooter but got a game with a great story, realistic character development and a fun mix of shooting and stealth.

03. Uncharted II: Among Thieves (PS4)
Playtime: 11 hours
My favorite game of the Uncharted series. The game had amazing visuals and really exciting climbing sequences. The gunplay was as repetitive as in any Uncharted game sometimes but didn't effect my enjoyment a whole lot.

04. Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Mummy (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 4 hours
Rating: 2/10
It's aged horribly. The UI is bad, the voice acting is bad, the animations are funny in a bad way and the puzzles were stupidly difficult here and there.

05. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)
Playtime: 7 hours
Rating: 10/10
This was insane. It's a hack'n'slash game in the Metal Gear universe and it's just fantastic. This game had some of the most memorable boss fights I've personally encountered and the quick pace and awesome soundtrack were a big reason for that. Haven't played many better games than this.

06. Pony Island (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 3 hours3 hours
Rating: 8/10
An interesting meta game with some funny sequences (the Steam friend texting you really made me laugh). The mini games were enjoyable enough but I'm glad the game ended after 3 hours, as that was the perfect length for a game like this.

07. Resident Evil (PS4)
Its' age made this difficult for me to go through but there were a lot of things in this game that I liked. I guess I'm more into RE games like RE4, as I don't think I'll play RE2.

08. Western Press (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 45 minutes
Rating: 4/10
Meh, it's alright. Nothing that made me wanna come back after unlocking all the characters. Wasn't even that much fun to play 1vs1 with my bro.

09. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4)
Playtime: 5 hours
Not the biggest point and click fan but this was really charming. Maybe the best PnC game next to Grim Fandango for me. The humor and the actually "realistic" puzzles made this one for me.

February
Games Beaten: 5
Best Game: Punch Club
Worst Game: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Abandoned Games: 2 - Titan Souls, The Secret of Monkey Island

10. Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
Playtime: 32 hours
This is definitely one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me. It's not a bad game, for sure not. It just isn't the masterpiece I thought it would be - at least to me. After the amazing Mexico ride the game just has repetitive mission after repetitive mission. The characters, who were really cleverly written at the start, don't have a lot of personality anymore either. I wasn't impressed by the repetitive nature of the last few missions either. Other than that the open world really does look nice, even on PS3 in 2010. Some mini games are a lot of fun, missions at the start were actually new and interesting and the challenges to unlock costumes were a really good idea. I just didn't stay motivated til the end.

11. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PSP)
Playtime: 6 hours
This one felt too repetitive. It didn't feel scary at all to me either. I don't know, some of the games atmosphere was intriguing but overall it didn't impress me.

12. Back To The Future (PC/Steam)
I like that there is a continuation to the BttF series and it's a solid addition at that. It's a more old school Telltale adventure game and is actually quite enjoyable.

13. Punch Club (PC/Twitch Prime)
Playtime: 13 hours
Rating: 7/10
A boxing management sim. This one is really fun and unlike any other game I've personally played recently. I've focused on agility during my playthrough. It's really cool to see yourself progressing and winning fights more and more easily until the inevitable difficulty curve during the latter part of the game. It was way too grindy during the final few hours and reduced my positive impression by a bit.

14. The Silent Age (PC/Steam)
Rating: 5/10
Plain average. One of the worse PnC games. It's not "bad" but its not really leaving any kind of lasting impact (at least on me). The puzzles were way too simplistic as well.

March
Games Beaten: 4
Best Game: SUPERHOT
Worst Game: /
Abandoned Games: 0

15. SUPERHOT (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 3 hours
Definitely a unique and fun experience. Another meta plot but not as impressive as in Pony Island. The gameplay is really fun though.

16. Shenmue (Walkthrough)
Playtime: 8 hours
I am interesting in Shenmue 3 but never played the first two. I didn't wanna buy a Dreamcast just for this so I decided to watch a walkthrough. It looked really interesting but seemed like it probably didn't age that well. Playing it today would probably be a bit rough with all the walking and loading.

17. Hitman GO (Android)
Simple but clever puzzle game. Nice game to play during train rides.

18. Deus Ex GO (Android)
Rating: 6.5/10
Another simple but clever puzzle game. Even has nice animations and a little story now.

April
Games Beaten: 12
Best Game: Tearaway Unfolded
Worst Game: 1979 Revolution: Black Friday
Abandoned Games: 3 - The Witness, Rochard, Heavy Bullets

19. Broforce (PC/Steam)
I've played this in coop with my brother. Really fun(ny), I would definitely recommend it. Just unlocking new bros is really the most rewarding thing ever. Especially the last unlock.

20. Lara Craft GO (Android)
Another cool GO game. "Worst" of the bunch but still fun.

21. Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People (PC/Steam)
It actually took me 5 weeks to finish this one. I spent each weekend playing an episode (3 hours), so it was a fun experience for sure. Looking forward to doing that more with other Telltale games in the future. The game itself was alright. It was weirdly charming but ultimately nothing too exciting. Wouldn't necessarily recommend this to you, as the humor is very hit'n'miss.

22. 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (PC/Twitch Prime)
Playtime: 2 hours
Rating: 2/10
On the contrary, I've played this one in two short sittings. It's actually quite highly rated among players but I personally disliked this a lot. If you're interested in the incidents, there are quite a few things you can read about in this game. The telltale-like story and dialogue is very poor though. Very cringy lines and sequences mostly. Some chapters took like a minute, so it was kind of pulling me out of the experience as well (just a minor complaint though). I'm glad I've got it for free, I wouldn't recommend buying this personally.

23. Tearaway Unfolded (PS4)
I'm not usually into these kind of platformers but this awakened my love for 'em. The art work is phenomenal and the platforming is so much fun. The game allows you to be kind of creative with its' world by letting you name characters, draw crowns and other things etc. Kind of like Little Big Planet I guess? I just liked this one a lot though. It's supposed to be even more fun on the PS Vita but I didn't own one back in April.

24. Mafia III (PS4)
Playtime: 40 hours
Went full completionist on this game. One of the main reasons why I, compared to the other months, didn't finish that many games in March, as I was working on this one. It was relaxing to just collect everything, so I did it. Will probably not do that with a game like this again though, as it feels kinda stupid looking back at it. The game is as repetitive as you've heard from other people. You just do the same thing a few dozen times. The plot, cutscenes and documentary-like storytelling is extremely well done. The gunplay and driving is not bad at all either (in my humble opinion). New Bordeaux looks great but felt empty. It was like L.A Noire and Mafia II, supposedly open world but not really. Linearity would've done this game justice.

25. 10 Second Ninja X (PS4)
You basically have to finish a level in 10 seconds. Each level has enemies that you have to defeat in order to beat it. There is a little story attached. It's fun for the few hours of gametime. You can't do wrong buying this on sale.

26. Spec Ops: The Line (PC/Steam)
I've heard different opinions on this game. A lot of the negative ones say that the gameplay is generic and boring. It isn't anything special, true. I won't even support the fact that it was made this generic on purpose or anything. It just was fun enough for me. I didn't even think about it being bad while playing it. I just like that the game focuses on one thing it does much better than other games - the plot. A lot of games have a good story, good gameplay, good graphics etc. That's cool and all but they don't really have anything that makes the game memorable (a lot of AC games come to mind). Spec Ops does for sure. You've probably heard it a ton of times before but the story should be experienced. Anything I say would spoil it for you.

27. VVVVVV (PC/Steam)
It's alright. It's one of those very hard platformers like Super Meat Boy but definitely doable. The open map makes it much more interesting in my opinion. Other than that, just an alright game to spend a few hours on.

28. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (PS4)
Playtime: 5 1/2 hours
Rating: 6.5/10
Another game I've finished in coop with my brother. Just wanna mention here that a lot more games should offer local coop. I love single player games but I enjoy playing local coop with friends/family the most. You could play this with a lot more than one friend but I was content playing it with my bro. It was tough but we managed. He controlled our ship and our shield and I shot the weapon and used the power ups we collected. It's a lot about teamwork and I liked that. Some levels were kinda too grindy and the difficulty curve was way too high at a few points but overall we had a lot of fun.

29. Uncharted III: Drake's Deception (PS4)
Uncharted II was amazing. I and III were good games. It's the same formula in each game but I think it was most enjoyable in II. In Uncharted III, you have your story with the boring villain and the treasure you're trying to find. Pretty average affair. The characters were pretty fun to listen to, I know some people don't like their "averageness" but I don't mind. The climbing was fun as always, the puzzles were interesting, the cutscenes were cool but I had a few issues.The game had way too many fist fights against those big guys and the fights were scripted the same way every time. The shooting sections felt too long and too difficult from time to time as well. Overall, still a good game. Looking forward to buying and playing Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy at some point.

30. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PS3)
Playtime: 9 hours
It's kind of like The Sands of Time. Most of the game is basically the same. The combat is different though. You don't fight 5-10 guys but rather 10-50. I liked it. Other than that, I wasn't overly impressed by anything. Guess the PoP series isn't doing anything special for me. I'll still play some of the others, if I get my hands on them (SoT was free on Uplay and TFS was a gift).

May
Games Beaten: 9
Best Game: Undertale
Worst Game: Husk was shit
Abandoned Games: 3 - Super Meat Boy, Neon Chrome, Husk

31. Dirt 3 (PC/Steam)
First racing game in a loooong while. I've just played around for a good while before getting kind of bored. It was a fun return to the racing genre though.

32. Deus Ex (PC/Steam)
Have to admit that I've not managed to beat it on my own but that I looked up a walkthrough. Didn't use mods and just couldn't really get used to the UI. It was pretty impressive when I did manage to make some progress though. Ultimately watched a walkthrough of the cutscenes after. If I would've played it when it came out, this would probably have been one of my favorite games of all time.

33. Event[0] (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 3 1/2 hours
Looked like a nice addition to the Humble Monthly. I'm not too keen on walking simulators and the same can be said about this game. I still had a fun time with it. Nothing major about it.

34. Jotun (PC/Steam)
This one I liked. It's kind of like Titan Souls, you have one weapon and it's almost boss battles only. I liked the setting and the introduction of the bosses a lot. Didn't offer too much else beside that but what it did offer was fun.

35. Hotline Miami (PC/Steam)
One of my favorite soundtracks I've heard in a game this year. Really fit the gameplay and made a perfect playthrough of a level feel more badass.

36. Octodad: Dadliest Catch (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 2 1/2 hours
Yeah. It was funny for 2 minutes. Maybe this would've been up my alley 5 years ago. It felt like a chore mostly though. Not the worst game and some of the mini games were alright. I was glad when it was over.

37. Dishonored (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 18 hours
I don't think it's a masterpiece like a lot of other people but I do see where they're coming from. Unique art style, great stealth gameplay and a ton of options for the player to play through it. I suck at stealth though, so I had a hard time here and there, which in turn hindered my own enjoyment a bit. It's not for me 100 % but even I, who sucks at stealth, enjoyed this one.

38. Shenmue II (Walkthrough)
Again, wanted to know the story to get ready for Shenmue III. It was a tiny bit better than the first, as Hong Kong just seemed like a nice place to play around in.

39. Inside (PC/Steam)
If you liked Limbo, you'll like Inside for sure. It's more of the same with improved graphics. The simple but effective controlling scheme remains.

40. Undertale (PC/Steam)
I'm one of the people who loved this. Sans was hilarious and I dig games that make me laugh. The combat was very unique, so I enjoyed that a lot. The final boss fight was just fucked up though.

June
Best Game: GTA V
Worst Game: Alien Rage was unplayable on PS3
Abandoned Games: 4 - 80 Days, Dark Souls, Alien Rage, Dirt Showdown

N.A. Dark Souls (PC/Steam)
Just wanna mention that I really liked Dark Souls. I just became anxious for the first time while playing a game. I didn't think I could beat it, which is why I decided to quit for now. I might return to it, I'm not sure though. Got a big backlog that I wanna go through first.

41. GTA V (PS3/PS4)
Playtime: 90 hours on both consoles
When GTA V came out on PS3 I didn't own a lot of games, so I spent a lot of time on it just doing random stuff (like looking at the Thelma and Louise easter egg). I love the world Rockstar created. There aren't a lot of modern open worlds (I'd say) so it was funny to see Rockstar's take on todays society. I personally really liked the main characters. Michael has such a stereotypical family (which has been done like that on purpose of course), Franklin and his dialogues with Lamar were always fun to listen to and Trevor is just nuts. Still, everyone had their back stories that I definitely enjoyed finding out about. The main missions actually had much more variety than I'm used to by GTA games, so it never felt repetitive (like in RDR). I have to say, one of my favorite features of this game was the internet though. So much stuff to read, to watch and to find out about. Great soundtrack, graphics and driving as well.

42. Hard Reset: Redux (PC/Twitch Prime)
It was 50/50 for me with this game. Sometimes I felt like the game picked up, sometimes it felt repetititve. One of the main reasons for that were the limited amount of enemy types. I did like how your guns had a different use with each upgrade, that was cleverly done I think. Shooting wasn't too bad either. The game just didn't offer anything different to make it stand out.

43. Oxenfree (PC/Twitch Prime)
This one didn't hit me at all. The dialogue felt a lot more natural than in other games, so I did enjoy that part kind of. I just didn't care about the characters that much. The gameplay didn't really keep me interested either.

44. Her Story (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 3 1/2 hours
This one was fun to play. I was interested in this since it came out and was not left disappointed. I like "detective" kind of games. L.A Noire is one of my favorite games. It's just fun to interrogate and/or find out who the killer is. The keyword mechanic was very interesting. If you have a few hours to spare, try to look into this one.

July
Best Game: Lords of the Fallen
Worst Game: Type:Rider
Abandoned Games: 1 - Mr. President!

45. Portal (PC/Steam)
I liked it. Portal's gameplay is definitely unique and GLaDOS is an interesting antagonist. I didn't find the game very funny, wasn't my kind of humor I guess. The puzzles got repetitive close to the end as well. So overall, solid but not as good as I thought it would be.

46. FOTONICA (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 1 hour
Nothing special. It's an arcade runner kind of game. The soundtrack was alright, the visuals were alright and the running felt fluid. Not much more to it. Didn't impress me, didn't make me feel I wasted an hour.

47. Lords of the Fallen (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 16 hours
I started this on PS4 last year but couldn't get into it. Tried again on PC and after a few hours it clicked. Gameplay still felt a bit heavy but I got used to it. I used a heavy sword, so I had to wait for my chances and remain very patient. It worked out and I actually beat a soulslike. Felt very good and made me excited to try out a Dark Souls game again in the future (or Demon Souls.. or Bloodborne.. or The Surge).

48. Type:Rider (PSVita)
Got myself a PS Vita in this month. It was used for 120 € I think, so I'm not mad about that purchase. This game isn't one of its strongest though. If you'd like to know more about typographical history, you'll find some entertainment here. If you're like me and don't know for sure, maybe stay away from it. I got it for free on PS+, so I didn't mind. The extremely easy platforming didn't make this one very worthwhile though, even though I appreciated all the historical notes.

Dyna

My main post.

McihREg.png

40 | Mini Ninjas | PC
9 hours | Completed Dec. 7th

This was a really positive surprise! I picked it up some time ago from Square Enix store's sales out of curiosity and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of cool gameplay elements you wouldn't necessarily expect from a little platformer/adventure game aimed at children. You can possess animals, use your hat as a boat in water, deflect enemy arrows with your sword, craft potions etc. Good variety in level design, quite a few unlockable characters to choose from and a lot of freedom in how you choose to approach the fights - you can even stealth your way through some levels! The graphics are pretty nice too although I'm not a fan of the main characters' looks. The boss fights were basically quick time events which was a bit of a bummer but nothing else really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm still pretty astonished at how much fun I had playing this game, would absolutely recommend this to everyone who enjoys action adventure games!

Z7lUtJ0.png

41 | Picross 3D | DS
51 hours | Completed Dec. 10th

Great puzzle game! Mostly played this while watching some livestreams etc. I completed all levels from beginner to normal on perfect, I decided to pass on the hard levels for now since I'm pretty burned out from the game. Not much else to say about this one, if you're looking for a good and simple puzzle game try it out. Might have to pick up Picross 3D: Round 2 for the 3DS next!

Ubername

Banned
Furkhan, your RDR review mirrors exactly how I felt when I beat it. The repetition of missions a la GTA but less refined because they haven't been making cowboy games for 2 decades and ofc the flaccid-as-can-be ending. There's the first ending and then the conclusion of Marston's story, both of which are so disinteresting as to be almost depressing. Only R* game I put down before beating, only to pick up and be still disappointed with it.

fe17

Neo Member
UPDATED my original post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=253103035&postcount=2053

Thanks for the reply Ubername, enjoyed reading your take on RDR. Glad you see it similarly, though I wouldn't fault anyone who says that the game is amazing.

August
Games Beaten: 14
Best Game: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Worst Game: Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry, so grindy
Abandoned Games: 5 - Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry, Level 22: Gary's Misadventures, Just Cause 3, Guacamelee!, Homefront

49. The Bug Butcher (PC/Steam)
I don't know, if this is a mobile port. I'm very sure it is though. It was a fun game, that's for sure. You basically can only shoot upwards and have to kill a lot of bugs. There are bunch of upgrades you can unlock, so there is always a cool incentive to playing (until you're done unlocking perks that is). Definitely recommend it for cheap.

50. Okay? (Android)
It was alright puzzle game on Android. I beat all 150 levels during train rides.

51. Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders (PC/Steam)
This actually wasn't bad. I liked the art work in this game. The puzzles were interesting and not too difficult. I didn't like the "brain cells" part though. It just was way too simple and ultimately unnecessary.

52. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
Playtime: 70 hours
I bought this one on the PSN store for my PS3 back in May. This was my first forray into the SMT and Persona series. It was my first JRPG ever as well. It's definitely one of my favorite games of all time and the only game where I actually shed a tear at the end. My final party consisted Junpei, Akihiko and Aigis. I thought the story was really good, hitting the player with enough twists throughout to keep things interesting. The whole Aigis storyline is especially well done and really impressed me. Closer to the end the game really picked up nicely and the pacing for the final hours was perfect in my opinion. Having a 70 hour journey with your in-game friends was a special feeling and I'm glad I checked this out, as I found one of my favorite gaming series for me with this one.

53. Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall (Walkthrough)
I've gotten Dishonored 2 as a gift and didn't own the DLCs for the first game. That's why I thought I'll just watch walkthroughs of both. The added story with the protagonist for the second Dishonored game was actually pretty interesting.

54. Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (Walkthrough)
I've gotten Dishonored 2 as a gift and didn't own the DLCs for the first game. That's why I thought I'll just watch walkthroughs of both. The added story with the protagonist for the second Dishonored game was actually pretty interesting.

55. God of War (PSVita)
I think Greek Mythology is pretty interesting and I've enjoyed the few books I read about it. So having a tiny bit of knowledge about some of the gods, I enjoyed God of War's take on them. Kratos is actually a character with more backstory than you'd think at the beginning. Overall the story was more engaging than I thought. The hack'n'slash gameplay mixed with puzzles to solve was pretty neat and overall I'd definitely recommend this.

56. The Beginner's Guide (PC/Steam)
Interesting walking simulator with good narration and a solid ending.

57. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
Playtime: 50 hours
I started this back in 2016 and only just finished it off. Didn't feel like playing this for months before getting motivated in August again. It was my first MGS game (next to Ground Zeroes) so I didn't have a clue about what was going on and about all the versions of Snake there are. The ending wasn't really bad at all for me but I guess you can take my opinion with a grain of salt on that matter. I can tell you that the gameplay was fun as hell though.

58. Portal 2 (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 13 1/2 hours
Now this one was great. The humor was on point throughout and made me laugh out loud multiple times. GLaDOS and Wheatley were hilarious in this. The puzzles improved as well, with a lot more variety in them. The coop mode was excellent as well.

59. Downwell (PSVita)
Got to chapter 2-3 on my best playthrough, so not even close to the end. Sadly I sucked at this but I still enjoyed my time with it. I'll play it again here and there for sure but I was done with it at that point.

60. Layers of Fear (PC/Steam)
Pretty interesting theme. Wasn't utilized fully though. It's mostly jump scares but some ambient sounds were actually quite unnerving as well. I liked it, wasn't overly impressed or anything at the end.

61. Layers of Fear: Inheritance (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 1 1/2 hours
More of the same but got a bit tired of it at that point.

62. The Last of Us: Left Behind (PSNow)
I had a free trial and thought "why not check this one out". I loved The Last of Us and was glad to return to this world. I'm actually one of the people who liked the gameplay. In true survival horror fashion you're left with scarce resources and have to make do with them. In the main game it worked perfectly. As this DLC was short they threw resources at you here and there of course. Still, I liked the story between Ellie and Riley.

September
Games Beaten: 8
Best Game: The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
Worst Game: A Story About My Uncle
Abandoned Games: 2 - A Story About My Uncle, Borderlands 2

63. Thomas Was Alone (PSNow)
I thought it was solid. I liked the narration and how each of the blocks actually had character. Got kinda bored of it in the middle of it but I was still content with it at the end.

64. Dishonored 2 (PS4)
Playtime: 19 hours
So yeah, I've played a bunch of Dishonored this year. I chose Emily Kaldwin as the character to play with and I'm definitely glad to do that. I'll probably go back to this at some point and replay with Corvo. The game is basically the same as Dishonored 1. Instead of rats you now have bloodflies. The graphics are mostly the same, just a bit upgraded. The story was interesting again this time around, with an alright villain in Delilah. Kirin Jindosh's mansion was just sick and way too difficult for me to go through without being caught. Overall, pretty good.

65. No Time To Explain Remastered (PC/Steam)
No Time To Explain had a weird charm to it, with all its shouting and running. Other than that it wasn't anything special, the puzzles being a fairly average fair but you will definitely get a few solid hours out of this.

66. Hatoful Boyfriend (PSVita)
I've gotten 4 of the endings before I was fine with leaving this one. I'm not a big fan of VN games where you don't do anything but read. I know that's the point but I'm sure there are VNS with puzzles or something like that as well, just to mix things up. Hatoful Boyfriend is pretty weird, as you're in a pigeon school, so I wasn't sure what to think. I'm sure you'll like it, if you enjoy VNs.

67. Sleeping Dogs (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 17 hours
This took me quite a while to beat because I just never was able to sit down and play it for multiple hours at a time. I did actually enjoy it though. Wei Shen is a pretty cool main character and you don't have a lot of undercover cop stories in video games I think. At least I haven't played any before. The combat is fun, the driving is fun and the missions do have enough variety to keep things interesting. Karaoke is life though.

68. Far Cry Primal (PS4)
Playtime: 19 hours
2nd Far Cry game I've played - next to Far Cry 4. I really liked FC4, so I had high hopes for Primal. Definitely didn't get diasppointed, as the game was just as good as FC4, if not a bit better. The game looks beautiful. The hunting gameplay is a lot of fun. The world is fun to explore and the characters you meet during your time are pretty cool and even funny at times. I also liked that the collectibles aren't as in your face as in previous Ubisoft open world games.

69. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt (PC/GOG)
Playtime: ~220 hours
After 2 years and 220 hours, I've finally beat this masterpiece. I started my first playthrough and lost the save file after 80 hours. After restarting, I slowly made my through and appreciated a lot of the little details along the way. The world is just massive and fun to explore at the same time. The quests are very high quality, even the side quests. Geralt is just a great character and actually has a reason to be doing all the things he is doing. He's a witcher and most of the side quests are based on witcher contracts or other ways for him to make a living. Of course you can help out your friends along the way, too, and maybe even romanticize them (I stayed true to Yennefer, of course). The game has its' faults, like awkward controls here and there and a slight drop off in quality for some of the quests in Kaer Morhen but all in all you won't find many better games out there at this day (at least imo).

October
Games Beaten: 7
Best Game: Half-Life
Worst Game: Hue, felt too generic
Abandoned Games: 3 - Hue, Final Fantasy, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

70. CUPID (Laptop/Steam)
I've been on a 6 week business trip starting October, so I only played Steam games on my laptop. This left the games available to me quite limited. I started this free VN, looking to maybe get more love for the genre. It wasn't too bad, the story and writing actually kept me engaged enough to finish. Still, the limited amount of choices I could make didn't make this worthwhile enough.

71. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PSVita)
Next to my laptop I had my PSVita with me of course. The worst game in the series in my opinion. It's nice to be able to play Uncharted on a handheld but, while the climbing and gunplay was fine as ever, the dialogue and some of the PS Vita gameplay additions (like uncovering what's behind the chalk or putting a light on your vita rearpad) were pretty bad. Villains are bad in Uncharted. Guerrero was the worst by far though. Don't know, if that character build was done on purpose but I couldn't take him seriously as a "threat". Chase was alright.

72. Sky Force Anniversary (PSVita)
Didn't play any bullet hell shoot 'em up game in a long while, so this felt nice and new for a while. The whole unlocking levels by collecting medals thing was bad game design in my opinion. Why not let me unlock levels as I beat previous ones and let the medals be further incentives to continue playing?

73. God of War II (PSVita)
Just as fun as the first iteration, with some of the same issues (the most annoying one: The rearpad not working sometimes, making you restart the game or the Vita even). Loved the story in this one, looking forward to God of War III and maybe some other non-numbered sequels like Ghost of Sparta.

74. Half-Life (Laptop/Steam)
Playtime: 12 hours
I was positively surprised as how this game held up. I didn't use any mods and still easily made my way through it without struggling with the games age. It doesn't look that good anymore of course but I liked some of the effects still. The level design was really good, adding to the atmosphere greatly. I also loved how linear and straightforward this was. No unnecessary kind of collectibles or anything. Just a pure, linear gaming experience.

75. Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D (Laptop/Steam)
Playtime: 1 hour
Solid, 1-hour mod. Nothing major, just some more Half-Life for you.

76. Hotline Miami 2 - Wrong Number (Laptop/Steam)
Really enjoyed this one. Amazing soundtrack and nice art work, which blend in together well. The added story didn't really do it for me but I appreciated the effort. Some of the levels were a bit too long but it's been enjoyable mostly.

November
Best Game: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Worst Game: Child of Light, that rhyming..
Abandoned Games: 4 - Bound, Child of Light, Sunset Overdrive, System Shock

75. Half-Life: Opposing Force (Laptop/Steam)
It's a solid expansion, looking at the events of the original from the perspective of a US Marine.

76. Half-Life: Blue Shift (Laptop/Steam)
Another fine expansion, this time from the perspective of a security guard.

77 . Outlast (PC/Steam)
Pretty good horror game. I'm not easily scared, so I didn't need the Outlast diapers. I did however like how the game didn't try to scare you through jump scares all the time but rather through the atmosphere.

78. Outlast: Whistleblower (PC/Steam)
More of the same, the gameplay got kinda repetitive at this stage. Some of the new characters were actually pretty interesting, especially the groom.

79. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (PC/Steam)
Really enjoyed this. The plot was interesting from the start, starting off with an event that made the relationship between the two main characters pretty interesting. The hack'n'slash gameplay was actually really fun, I enjoyed killing those mechs a lot.

December
Best Game: N.A
Worst Game: N.A
Abandoned Games: 1 - Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

80. Deponia (PC/Steam)
Another point and click game that positively surprised me. It took me a while but after the first act I actually started liking Rufus, the main character. Uniquely annoying and, thanks to great side characters, has more personality than I thought he would've. The puzzles all made sense and weren't too difficult to solve.

81. The Turing Test (PC/Steam)
It's a bit like Portal, you might've heard about that. It was solid but I wasn't all too impressed by anything.

82. Trackmania Turbo (XboxOneS)
Playtime: 18 hours
I've played the campaign with my brother. We finished the first 50 of 200 levels. It was a lot of fun at the start, short but fun tracks, great music and a pretty cool arcade experience. After a while the levels went on for too long and looked more and more the same, while the music started repeating itself. So we're both content with the time we spent on it but we're alright without this for now.

83. Persona 4 Golden (PSVita)
Playtime: 72 hours
Another Persona game done, another adventure with a great cast completed. Persona 4 has improved in many ways from Persona 3. The UI is definitely more pleasant, so much so that I think I would've struggled to play P3, if I would've started the series with P4. In P4 you're a transfer student in Inaba and, with the help of your school friends, try to solve multiple crimes, where people end up hanging on antennas. Rain, fog and TVs play a huge role in this one and I think it was extremely well done. There is a bunch of side stuff that has been newly added, like the TV listings. You'll find videos from a Persona concert, background information about Jungian psychology in multiple lectures by Mr. Edogawa from P3 and even a quiz game with the main characters, which was really fun. Other than that there are little things here and there that make the experience a bit more interesting. I just enjoyed running around time every now and then and chatting with NPCs, as they all have their own stories that develop throughout the game. I still liked P3 a bit more. I guess it's mostly because I played that first? Or maybe it's the fact that the pacing at the end was a bit off in Persona 4. It just took too long to finish while I was already thinking it was done in my head. I guess that's because I went for the good and golden ending.

That's a minor problem though, I reeeeally loved this game. The persona series is amazing. Really looking forward to P5 sometime next year maybe. Atlus'll maybe (probably not) announce P6 before I can get to 5, which I wouldn't mind at all.

84. Doki Doki Literature Club (PC/Steam)
Playtime: 4 1/2 hours
At first, I quit the game after a few hours, as the whole dating sim stuff was boring me a lot. I was told to stick with it and I'm glad I did. It really gets f*cked up near the end and I loved it. If the game wouldn't have taken so long to get to that point, I might've liked it even more. Still, you should try it out, if you didn't already.

85. The Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt: Hearts of Stone (PC/GOG)
Playtime: 10 1/2 hours

Currently playing

• Deus Ex: Invisible War [PC - Actually a walkthrough I'm watching, was kinda put off by the UI. Just wanna enjoy the story before starting DE: HR]

DWhELuF.png

9:09h. All free stuff completed. As I'm not purchasing any paid content, this is the end of the game for me.

For those interested, the name of the game is Pic-a-Pix but I was unable to find a decent cover image. It's a nonogram game. So, basically Picross.

I did enjoy the Color puzzles though, it's in my opinion a better extra mode than anything I've seen in the Picross e games (Though I've only played three of those, so I might be wrong).

As far as free mobile games go, you can't go wrong with this one.

My Score: ★★★★☆

heGWr8y.png

20h-ish. My self-imposed victory condition was reaching a 5,000 pop. kingdom, but I got bored at 2500 being that the town was basically autosufficient and it was only a matter of grinding. So, game over.

It's funny, because this game is partly Banished Lite and partly Super Banished. It's much more forgiving than Banished, but it also has a system for combat, with walls, barracks, invasions by outside forces...

Also, the graphics are cute and functional but you will get tired of them fast - it would be good if the villagers had faces or something that gave them a bit more personality, but you're literally taking care of oversized pixels. The colorful artstyle works for the town, though, and it makes it much easier in the eyes than the grimdark Banished.

My Score: ★★★☆☆

Original Post

Dyna

My main post.

nTwITGh.png

42 | White Day: A School Named Labyrinth | PS4
~10 hours | Completed Dec. 11th

I have mixed feelings on this game. On one hand I really enjoyed the creepy atmosphere, exploring the school, discovering the ghost stories and talking with the other characters but on the other hand I loathed the janitor enemies that are just annoying instead of scary. The game has a lot of replayability thanks to the different story paths you can take and I'd love to explore it a little more but I'm not sure if I'll return to it any time soon because of the janitors. I know they needed some form of danger in the game but... ugh. Very interesting game though, I liked the rumour notes and little mysteries scattered throughout the school and the soundtrack was unique to say the least. Some small bugs and weird things here and there but performance was solid. I want to say I really like this because I truly do think it's very unique and it even pioneered some modern horror game elements (as it is a remake of a 2001 game) but the frustrating enemies prevent me from fully recommending this. Very interesting game nonetheless.

irPfwT3.png

43 | Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero & End of Zoe DLC | PS4
3.5 hours | Completed Dec. 13th

I felt like these two deserved a spot on my list as a "double feature." I really enjoyed Resident Evil 7, so much in fact that I purchased the season pass as well which is something I never do. Anyways, after the first two DLC packs (that were okay at best) I was anxiously waiting for the promised story add-ons and while they took their sweet time I think they turned out pretty good in the end. Not A Hero was the one I was less excited for but it was a neat action-packed continuation to the main story. Chris doesn't look or sound like Chris but it didn't bother me too much, still had fun. The boss fight reminded me of Resident Evil 5, pretty crazy. End of Zoe was way more interesting in my opinion, I liked Joe Baker a whole lot and combat was super fun. This felt really Resident Evil in all of its wackiness. I think Capcom struggled to find a way to wrap up this story for a while but in the end it worked out alright. I wish these would've been longer though and I wouldn't have minded more of the scariness of the main game but I'm pretty content with this package as a whole. If you haven't played Resident Evil 7 yet, the Gold Edition looks like a pretty tight deal. I'd recommend it for sure.

Azriell

Complete List

Stranger Things
Platform: Android
Time: 5:11
Date: 12.13
Score: (3/5)

I have never played a game that suffered more from "my hands are in the way and I can't fucking see" than this one. Movement and attacking are both handled by tapping the screen, and I constantly found myself trying to hold my phone in different ways to get my fingers out of the way. Unfortunately, the action can be pretty hectic at times and it all turns in to a bit of a mess.

It's too bad about the controls, because I absolutely love everything else about this game. Stranger Things nails the look of an SNES game (specifically the SNES Addams Family games) and it's even designed like a movie tie in game from the 90s: Plot elements don't exactly line up, and while there are obvious callbacks to the source material, ample liberties are also taken. Staging Stranger Things as a licensed game was a smart and fun path to take. Technically the game is emulating the aesthetic of the wrong decade of games, but I think the results are worth this transgression.

The game is a little simple, but I would absolutely play another one of these, if they were made for a platform with physical controls.

Really enjoyed this challenge. Only managed 31 though, but I'm gonna play Gears of War Ultimate Edition and GoW 4 over Christmas, so that might be 33 in the end.

My Games Completed

I wonder if this challenge will continue in 2018? If so, I'd love to try to beat it proper.

Highlights this year include The Witness and Mini Metro (backlog, I know.)

Soundtrack highlights would probably be 10 Second Ninja and The Turing test.

Dyna

My main post.

H9HOy5B.png

44 | Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World | 3DS
21.5 hours | Completed Dec. 18th

Kind of mixed feelings on this one. I bought it on release day but I just kind of played it throughout the year in short sessions because I found the game quite frustrating. The port itself is pretty solid, looks really nice and colourful on the 3DS screen and the added Poochy levels are alright I guess but the game itself just isn't that great in my opinion. Level design varies from very fun to tedious and straight up annoying, the checkpoint placement is all over the place and for a Yoshi game it sure can feel unfairly punishing at some times. Screwing up in this game felt way more irritating than, say, dying in the Souls games in my opinion. Not a horrendous game by any means but my enthusiasm towards it kept steadily fading away while playing it. I guess Yoshi games just aren't my cup of tea.

9nWYfKm.png

45 | Gorogoa | PC
1.5 hours | Completed Dec. 19th

Now this was an amazing puzzle game! I absolutely adored the art style and the way the game functions in general, it's just so beautiful and unique. The puzzles weren't too difficult but figuring them out and watching everything click in place was super satisfying. The price for the Steam version was a bit hard to swallow because it's so short but to be fair, it's a really high quality product all around so I'd say it can justify the price tag. Hopefully it will get some sort of sequel, I'd love to see more.

fe17

Neo Member
Main Post - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=253103035&postcount=2053

Main Post 2 - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=253108746&postcount=2056

85. The Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt: Hearts of Stone (PC/GOG)
Playtime: 10 1/2 hours
Really good all around. The expansion adds interesting main quests, solid side quests and a few new characters, all interesting in their own respect. The main antagonist of this one is someone you meet at the beginning of the main game. I won't say who exactly. The story that evolves around him and the other people you meet is really great but I think they could have added a lot more tension at the end.

The boss fights were pretty good, better than in the main game I'd say. The Toad Prince and the Caretaker were especially fun. Overall, a very good expansion. It's nice to see that DLC can actually be really good. Looking forward to Blood and Wine.

Azriell

Complete List

Ronin
Platform: PS4
Time: 8:00
Date: 12.18
Score: (4/5)

This is a pretty cool game where the right stick lets you aim your jumps. It looks like an action game when you first turn it on, but you quickly find out it's actually a turn-based strategy game. Combat requires you to carefully leap around the battlefield to avoid enemy gunfire while trying to position yourself in such a way that you can pause for a second on the following turn to kill an enemy. Everything is one-hit kills, so every action feels very important. The game has a number of severe difficulty spikes, but clearing those areas was ultimately so satisfying that I have a hard time complaining about it now that it's over.

Dyna

My main post.

qkUfHj1.png

46 | SIMULACRA | PC
3.5 hours | Completed Dec. 24th

This was a very unique and interesting experience for the most part. You somehow get your hands on a missing person's phone and you're trying to find out what happened to her by going through her chat logs, apps etc. and every bit of interaction is done through the phone. The phone UI feels very believable and it's actually quite immersive. The game is really fucking unsettling in the beginning and there are occasional scares here and there that keep you on edge but honestly the story takes a huge dip in quality near the end which was such a bummer. Despite the amateurish and borderline horrendous acting in the game I was really engaged till the last 30 minutes or so. I'm not going to reveal anything about the story but I just thought the way it all spans out is so... lame. Nonetheless an interesting few hours and like nothing I have played before but I can't wholeheartedly recommend it because of the story (and the acting to some extent).

Nfkxc3V.png

47 | Abzû | PS4
~1.5 hours | Completed Dec. 25th

I went in expecting underwater Journey but this didn't really grip me in the same way as that game did. Abzû is very pretty to look at, yes, but I felt zero connection to the main character or the world around me. This felt super short too even though I explored the areas quite a bit. It's a beautiful game but because I didn't really feel anything while skimming through it I wouldn't put it in the same league as Journey. Also there were some strange little FPS hitches here and there even though I played it on a PS4 Pro. Still a neat little experience I guess.

0ivw5GF.png

48 | Epistory - Typing Chronicles | PC
4.5 hours | Completed Dec. 28th

An action RPG where you play as a girl riding a fox and everything from killing enemies to opening treasure chests is done by typing. It's a pretty neat concept and it works quite well too. The difficulty is fair, I feared it would be a cakewalk but some of the later arena fights (or "nests") are pretty intense and tiring for your hands. The artstyle's cute, everything in the world is made out of paper/book pages, sort of reminded me of Tearaway. The almost non-existent story kind of made me roll my eyes but it's whatever, it didn't get in the way of gameplay. I'd recommend this for the current Steam sale price (about 6€) if you're looking for something light to play.

Nester99

Anyone making a new thread for 2018? I know I can't do the OPjustice but I really enjoyed this thread last year 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom