• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor: Incursion VR is released (Oculus Rift, then HTC Vive)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Its releasing in less than 3 hours from now.

Oculus Store: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1001514393269541/
Game Official Site: http://www.killingfloorincursion.com/
Price: Launch special price at $35.99 (from $39.99)
Announcement Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3SinWPbXnw

Oculus exclusive for an unknown period, then coming to HTC Vive before the end of this year. Oculus said they are releasing a major title every month. This is their major title this month
15062132641l.jpg

This one has an actual campaign, right? Can't watch the trailer atm but I remember it looking like fun, although I will have to wait for the Vive version.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Not sure but i dont see why not. They have confirmed but havent officially announce the HTC Vive version (yet), so no words on that.

Lakuza

Waiting on reviews before buying it.

Was going to pre-order as I've been waiting for a good horror fps, but I'm not a fan of the blue pixel/digital effects on enemies spawning into view. Those spawning effects kill the horror in the gameplay vids I've seen. Still, if the game is reviewed well by sites and the community, I won't hesitate to buy it after launch :)

Enordash

Anyone buying this ASAP? I would love to get some good impressions before entertaining the purchase. I currently only have a 180 degree setup and I'm worried this will hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Lakuza

Anyone buying this ASAP? I would love to get some good impressions before entertaining the purchase. I currently only have a 180 degree setup and I'm worried this will hurt my enjoyment of the game.

From what I remember from watching preview vids, you can snap rotate on the spot like other vr games.

low-G

Forgot about this thread, think I'll paste my first impressions here.

I picked up Killing Floor Incursion.

So far my impressions are soso. Doesn't hit you with that same strong first impression as Arizona Sunshine at all. Instead there's an overly long forced tutorial. (I'm going to be making a lot of comparisons to other games, but that's where my thinking is right now) I think it's also relevant that I'm appraising this as a $40 game.

Storytelling is hokey at best. More nonsensical than usual. I really don't think they spent any serious time writing for the game. It's intentionally silly and loose, but in a way we've seen in a lot of games before. I'm not finding the clever wit that Killing Floor 2 had yet either. Wish they would have stripped it all out, at least so far. Takes away from the game.

Graphics are just OK. Not as nice as Arizona Sunshine by far (but I've only been in a few areas). The zombie designs are probably the creepiest I've seen in a game, so that part is really strong.

Gameplay so far kinda trickles enemies out at you and then will throw a larger number of tougher enemies. Doesn't give that same Arizona Sunshine feel of the waves of zombies (that Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising also did so well). Not KF2-like either seemingly. Lots of respawning enemies (or rather, zombies that just spawn in with a "VR style", they can even spawn right in front of you), enemies wander about and head towards you, they don't mill about like in the before mentioned games. Gunplay is looser than Arizona Sunshine, maybe even looser than Robo Recall, so making a headshot doesn't feel rewarding, but it's not terrible in this way either. One of my biggest challenges so far is actually finding where my holsters are, but maybe that's because I manually chose waist level when chest holsters is default. I'll definitely switch it back next time I go in.

Strongest impression is the sound. They did really well here. Some of the best (traditional) sound design I've heard. Gunshots feel much more powerful than other games (still not lifelike of course). I really like the ambient sounds though. Goes a really long way. Voice acting is completely forgettable, but not a Dead Effect 2 level of garbage.

Finally, I've already ran into a fair amount of glitches. The most severe made me quit. My grip was glitched up so I was holding a handgun but it was facing backwards (comically so), and the game wouldn't let me drop it. I couldn't even use the in-game menus because of this. Couldn't fire. Basically a softlock. Not good.

To bring it back to Killing Floor series, KF2 feels a lot more satisfying, but these are still my first impressions. If anything I'd say it feels more like Resident Evil 7 in the way you move and the environment (first real level), not in the pacing or fidelity. (Haven't played RE7 VR).

I'll go back to it, but I'm not in a huge rush to do so. Oh well. Pretty early first impressions, so I do hope it picks up.

Oh yeah, the game is definitely a little scary, unlike all of the above mentioned games. I mean I find spring peepers and a forest at night relaxing, but even still those zombies are creepy.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect because I bought this blind on the Oculus Store. I'm a fan of the Killing Floor games, but this was sort of a surprise release for me.

This game is scary as shit, I love it. I've never seen Killing Floor as a horror series, always more of an action shooter, but Incursion really nailed a lot of horror elements. I've only finished the first "level" of the game, but there was a section that was extremely claustrophobic and the sound design really elevated that experience. There were several encounters where I had to stop afterward and recollect myself before continuing.

I *really* love the gunplay. I always loved the slomo animations for the guns in the KF series, and it translates really well here. The weapons have nice, realistic kickback, I feel that a lot of VR games either provide no kickback, or arcade style kickback for weapons.

Anyway, this has probably been one of my favorite VR experiences behind SUPERHOT VR. Great job TripWire!

On a side note, I really wish Oculus had a better solution for Room Scale / 360. There were a lot of encounters where I was surrounded and in the middle of combat I would hit a blind spot and get a little disoriented. I have the three sensor Oculus setup, and it still isn't enough. I'm going to roll Vive next generation for sure.

Lakuza

I wasn't quite sure what to expect because I bought this blind on the Oculus Store. I'm a fan of the Killing Floor games, but this was sort of a surprise release for me.

This game is scary as shit, I love it. I've never seen Killing Floor as a horror series, always more of an action shooter, but Incursion really nailed a lot of horror elements. I've only finished the first "level" of the game, but there was a section that was extremely claustrophobic and the sound design really elevated that experience. There were several encounters where I had to stop afterward and recollect myself before continuing.

I *really* love the gunplay. I always loved the slomo animations for the guns in the KF series, and it translates really well here. The weapons have nice, realistic kickback, I feel that a lot of VR games either provide no kickback, or arcade style kickback for weapons.

Anyway, this has probably been one of my favorite VR experiences behind SUPERHOT VR. Great job TripWire!

On a side note, I really wish Oculus had a better solution for Room Scale / 360. There were a lot of encounters where I was surrounded and in the middle of combat I would hit a blind spot and get a little disoriented. I have the three sensor Oculus setup, and it still isn't enough. I'm going to roll Vive next generation for sure.

whats your setup like? because I've never hit a blind spot with my setup. I have 2 at the front at the corners of the play space (pointing down) and the 3rd is opposite the other 2 but placed in the middle (I ignored the recommended 3 sensor setup where it places the 3rd sensor in a corner).

low-G

As part of the first content update, they are adding in a horde mode called holdout:

http://www.pcgamer.com/killing-floor-incursion-is-getting-a-horde-mode-called-holdout/

Completing a level in the campaign will unlock that location in the holdout mode (it'll be single location picked from that level) and you'll be able to co-op with another player surviving waves of zombies.

Alright, that's a step in the right direction and I don't feel like I threw $40 directly into a garbage disposal.

Top Bottom