• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you can't play due to personal (emotional) reasons

Aztorian

Hey Gaf,

So I know this is something that counts for music. Some songs that remind you of something from the past that makes you emotional, happy, or whatever.

What about games? Do you have these feelings with some games too? For example I used to play some mmo and at that same time I started playing that game my grandpa started to feel really bad and worse. Everytime I try to pick the game back up I get reminded to that time and makes me less interested in the game just because of those memories.

Edit: Bomb me with Isaac tears if a thread like this already exists.

trikster40

What MMO were you playing out of curiousity?

For me, I can’t play Rock Band anymore. This kind of fits both game and music categories. My ex-wife has certain songs she absolutely loved to sing on there, and I can’t play it again or hear those songs without dredging up the past.

Aztorian

What MMO were you playing out of curiousity?

For me, I can’t play Rock Band anymore. This kind of fits both game and music categories. My ex-wife has certain songs she absolutely loved to sing on there, and I can’t play it again or hear those songs without dredging up the past.

Black Desert Online.

Understandable. I've got the same for music.

llien

Can't recall any and feel a bit guilty about it.

I have the opposite example, strange combination of 1 vs 7 AI map in SC1 combined with Enigma's album makes me feel safer and happier for no apparent reason, just generic New Year Eve and good times.

Velius

Banned
Ages ago now it seems, I was married. We were married for seven years, dated for five and a half before that. For all of our dating years and I daresay the vast majority of our married ones, life was beautiful. I loved her more than anything.

While we dated we lived in the same city for about two years. During that time we played Animal Crossing (GCN) together. Almost every single day. We had so much fun playing that together- she loved completing sets, and getting four houses maxed out in a town. We were always chirping to each other about what we got whenever Gulliver washed up on the beach. I got the Spooky Set to outfit my house, and one time I stayed up all night and worked wonders with the clock to get her the entire Christmas set.

There are so many things that happen in a marriage or long-term relationship, so many unique things you can't even describe, articulate, that make it special. That make it truly feel like nobody has ever had what you have. There's so much history that makes it into the lives of the two that it becomes impossible to convey the impact of such a relationship-- and the impact of its dismantling.

The last year I could feel her moving away from me. I didn't understand what was happening, and for whatever reason she couldn't tell me. I tried everything- coaxing, crying, counseling, you name it.

One day I came home from work and she was gone. Just gone. Left a letter saying that she'd met someone and made horrible decisions, and couldn't bear to tell me. So she just left. I never saw her again.

I spent the next year basically just dying over and over. I couldn't eat, I couldn't relax. The experience was so jarring that I contracted an irrational fear that all my friends and family would disappear too. The only thing I could do is play Animal Crossing. I'd go to her town and pick up weeds, make sure everything was kept in order. I sent her letters and put messages up on her billboard saying I loved her. Looking back on it now I guess it seems pretty unhealthy and just weird.

Eventually I moved out of our apartment, far, far away. Completely started over, new setting, new life, new career, everything. I'd like to think that I am healed for the most part but to this day I cannot play that game. Whenever I hear anything that even kind of sounds like the music from Animal Crossing I start to get an anxiety attack.

Damn shame too. Because it's a hell of a game.

amg986

Neo Member
Ages ago now it seems, I was married. We were married for seven years, dated for five and a half before that. For all of our dating years and I daresay the vast majority of our married ones, life was beautiful. I loved her more than anything.

While we dated we lived in the same city for about two years. During that time we played Animal Crossing (GCN) together. Almost every single day. We had so much fun playing that together- she loved completing sets, and getting four houses maxed out in a town. We were always chirping to each other about what we got whenever Gulliver washed up on the beach. I got the Spooky Set to outfit my house, and one time I stayed up all night and worked wonders with the clock to get her the entire Christmas set.

There are so many things that happen in a marriage or long-term relationship, so many unique things you can't even describe, articulate, that make it special. That make it truly feel like nobody has ever had what you have. There's so much history that makes it into the lives of the two that it becomes impossible to convey the impact of such a relationship-- and the impact of its dismantling.

The last year I could feel her moving away from me. I didn't understand what was happening, and for whatever reason she couldn't tell me. I tried everything- coaxing, crying, counseling, you name it.

One day I came home from work and she was gone. Just gone. Left a letter saying that she'd met someone and made horrible decisions, and couldn't bear to tell me. So she just left. I never saw her again.

I spent the next year basically just dying over and over. I couldn't eat, I couldn't relax. The experience was so jarring that I contracted an irrational fear that all my friends and family would disappear too. The only thing I could do is play Animal Crossing. I'd go to her town and pick up weeds, make sure everything was kept in order. I sent her letters and put messages up on her billboard saying I loved her. Looking back on it now I guess it seems pretty unhealthy and just weird.

Eventually I moved out of our apartment, far, far away. Completely started over, new setting, new life, new career, everything. I'd like to think that I am healed for the most part but to this day I cannot play that game. Whenever I hear anything that even kind of sounds like the music from Animal Crossing I start to get an anxiety attack.

Wow. Hell of a fighter you are!

Best of luck from one gamer to another.

Aztorian

Wow man.. That is really intense. Gave me the chills too.I understand you though.About keeping her town tidy and all. I did that too for an ex that didn't like videogames. But she loved minecraft. So we created a world and made a house with a farm and you name it. I kept managing the whole place after the breakup for about half a year until i started realising it was really pointless to spend my energy into this.

I hope you recovered from it man.

BTHR Zero X

Back to the Future the Telltale Series.

The day I brought it was the day my mum asked me to go do some shopping for her because she wasn't feeling up to it. I saw the PS3 Disc on sale and got it.

She died that night and I have never looked at Back to the Future the same way again it used to make me so happy now it makes me sad.

KentBlake

Wow...this one got me choked up. Right in the feels.

Not nearly as intense for me as you guys, but World of Warcraft. I played it daily for hours on hours from launch to WotLK when I had nothing but time. Made great friendships with guildies who I played with daily that really made the game more than just a game. Time keeps going, I got a job and less time to play as a result, people stopped playing over the years. It's still fun and enjoyable, but when I go to play it I think about the old days and how I'll never in my life get that experience again, think of all my old friends and what they are doing now, and it just kills my vibe to play it.

Merrydeath

For me it was Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3.
My friends were egged me to get it so me, him, and another close friend of our can play together. I bought the game and during the same week.
Our friend decided to end his story. I felt so uneased to even touch it and I still haven't after five years..

Bickle2

Horizon due to the hunting focus. Won’t play it. Avoided it in Red Dead and AC3.

Weak compared to a bunch of these I know

Gamegeneral

I have negative feelings towards ME1 because I tried to play shepherd as close to how I would act in that situation and ended up with no romantic partner.

Shit stung.

I got the call that my father passed away while I was playing Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Can't disassociate the two, so I was never able to play that game again. But it's been purged from digital marketplaces so it's not like that chance will ever come again.

Velius

Banned
WOW, good thing you are better now, but damn...I play lots of games with my girlfriend and got anxious just reading your story. I don't come here for this!

If you're in a relationship, pay very close attention to everything.

GametimeUK

I found out my girlfriend of 7 years had cheated on me. I was playing Overeatch when I heard the news. I haven't touched the game since last September. It was my GOTY.

amdb00mer

My best friend and I would hold Tekken tournaments when we were younger and his dad would always participate. He was actually decent. His dad passed away in 2001 and ever since then my friend just cannot bring himself to play any of the newer Tekken games.

i-Lo

Not full games aside from ABZU, rather underwater levels whose contents and depths are absolutely unknown. Growing up my parents instilled the fear of shark in me and while they done bother me much today in passive form of entertainment, active one like gaming causes me great anxiety.

Sounds surreal. Happy that you're moving forward everyday.

Tosyn_88

Well done Boss. None of what you did was weird, I have been through the begging stage as with almost everyone who loses a loved one.

Your strength of character is admirable and I must commend your effort to grow stronger, well done brother

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
If you can't face certain things from your past your mind is unrested. I prefer to overcome these emotions.

Edit: Untested = unrested. 😂

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho

Thanks for sharing. Wish you the best. Maybe you should rewrite the blues that come from playing AC by getting into AC Pocket Camp. Don’t let fear control you from having a great time.

TLZ

Banned

It's OK to go through that. It's the hardest when you're a loyal person. I was in a similar situation for 4 years in my uni days. The grieving took 3 days only though. There was no way I'd go on if I didn't stop. On my 3rd day I had an anxiety attack and that was it. Had to move on with my life just like she did. Today, I'm very happy I did. I'm with a much better person and have 2 awesome kids.

All the best man.

Back to the Future the Telltale Series.

The day I brought it was the day my mum asked me to go do some shopping for her because she wasn't feeling up to it. I saw the PS3 Disc on sale and got it.

She died that night and I have never looked at Back to the Future the same way again it used to make me so happy now it makes me sad.
I feel for you.

If you can't face certain things from your past your mind is untested. I prefer to overcome these emotions.
OK Batman.

Velius

Banned
Jesus man good to know you pulled through. I can't imagine what it must feel like.

Sounds surreal. Happy that you're moving forward everyday.

Well done Boss. None of what you did was weird, I have been through the begging stage as with almost everyone who loses a loved one.

Your strength of character is admirable and I must commend your effort to grow stronger, well done brother

It's OK to go through that. It's the hardest when you're a loyal person. I was in a similar situation for 4 years in my uni days. The grieving took 3 days only though. There was no way I'd go on if I didn't stop. On my 3rd day I had an anxiety attack and that was it. Had to move on with my life just like she did. Today, I'm very happy I did. I'm with a much better person and have 2 awesome kids.

All the best man.

I feel for you.

Guys I have to say your empathy and support is very, very touching.

By way of addendum I should mention that I've had a lot of good things happen to me since then. My new career is much more satisfying and a lot more lucrative. I'm finishing up another degree and knocking it out of the park. I work out seven days a week and despite being 37 I receive lots of attention. I've had time to heal, date again, break up again and contemplate what I really want out of life. I have family and friends who love me so I don't want to paint too dreary a picture.

And I also have you guys- thank you so much for the good thoughts- it means a great deal to me.

TLZ

Banned
Guys I have to say your empathy and support is very, very touching.

By way of addendum I should mention that I've had a lot of good things happen to me since then. My new career is much more satisfying and a lot more lucrative. I'm finishing up another degree and knocking it out of the park. I work out seven days a week and despite being 37 I receive lots of attention. I've had time to heal, date again, break up again and contemplate what I really want out of life. I have family and friends who love me so I don't want to paint too dreary a picture.

And I also have you guys- thank you so much for the good thoughts- it means a great deal to me.
Noice. We're the same age too. Good to know it's all better now :)

Life is a big learning experience.

Velius

Banned
Noice. We're the same age too. Good to know it's all better now :)

Life is a big learning experience.

giphy.gif

Kids are awesome. I know I'm a little late to the race but I still hope that one day I'll have one. Or three

sphinx

the piano man
I found out my girlfriend of 7 years had cheated on me. I was playing Overeatch when I heard the news. I haven't touched the game since last September. It was my GOTY.

exactly like it happened to me, 7 years and all

but I was playing Resident Evil Code Veronica (NGC), Professor Layton (DS) and Castlevania 4 (Wii, virtual console)

basically everything I played in the year 2008, I don't want to see, hear or know about it, ever.

nkarafo

Probably WoW. When i play it now it only reminds me how much better the vanilla version was. Also, i used to have my own guild a few years ago in a private server and had a lot of fun during that period but now the server is almost abandoned and i'm almost alone in the guild so when i load the account it feels melancholic.

I can't say I've had this occur (memories and emotions around a game making me not want to replay it). For better and worse, I compartmentalize things pretty well. If I played an awesome game during a sad time in my life, all of my memories are going to be about how awesome the game was rather than the game reminding me of the sad time in my life. Having said that, nobody in my immediate family has died so I haven't really had a super, life altering, tragic thing happen to me yet.

TechJunk

That Dragon, Cancer.

I hear it's a beautiful, heartbreaking game but I just can't bring myself to play it... I just don't want to go there, mentally. Much too sad, especially for those of us with young kids.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I wouldn't say I can't but I haven't touched Street Fighter II for the SNES since my little sister died we fought each other almost daily from 1995 to 1999....I'd just rather leave that in the past....

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Wow man. No words.

It didn't keep me from playing but the beginning part in Wolfenstein New Order where
the guy has his skull drilled into and his brain sucked out
made me sick to my stomach.

Grand Theft Auto - We had a really bad situation across the street where we used to live. Let's just say methamphetamines, parents either incapacitated or not home, and they gave their five year old GTA to "babysit" him. The kid was heading down a really bad path, abusive to animals, bullying kids in the neighborhood, etc. We tried to intercede and welcome him to our house and show a caring, friendly environment. But when he started hurting our kids with no sign of remorse or willingness to stop, that was it.

I'm not into censorship, but I do believe in age appropriateness. I by no means blamed the game for this child's behavior. But I certainly didn't think it was helpful that the parents allowed such a young child in an already troubled situation to play a game that rewarded violent, anti-social behavior. So I refused to bring the franchise into my house on principal. I wanted to lead by example and draw a clear line for my children that the criminal behavior depicted in that game was not acceptable. We had no shortage of age appropriate games to play so they weren't bored by any means.

When my eldest turned 17, GTAV was her first "mature" game purchase. Naturally, she shared it with her brother who was only 15 at the time. Although the danger zone of being too young to distinguish between good and evil was long past, I nevertheless remained steadfast in refusing to play it myself. I'd cross my arms, preach on how "ignoble" the game was and gave stern looks to show my disapproval, much to their amusement. I played my old school, out of touch, frumpy dad role well. But inside there was an emotional component too. I still associated GTA with that troubled child from the past.

It was just last winter when I finally put that behind me. My daughter was off in college, and my son, who was nearing his 17th birthday, was in bed with the flu. The house was quiet, the PS4 was sitting all alone, and their "evil" game was sitting on top. I finally succumbed to temptation and dared to fire up the game. Between Franklin & Lamar's banter and my crashing into everything, I was laughing so loud I woke my son up. The look of shock on his face, his exclamation of "YOU are playing GTAV???" and watching him pick his jaw up off the floor was worth the years of waiting.

NYCrooner

Some really touching stories here. Love this human side of GAF.

My game is actually one I never played. My best friend of 25 years was obsessed with World of Warcraft and it took over his life. He used to plead with me to give it a try but I didn’t like what it was doing to him and I even bought him a PS2 to try and peel him away from his PC.

Long story short, he died of cancer a few years back and just the thought of WoW makes me sad. I wish I humored him at least once and played WoW with him. Chokes me up just writing this. We spoke everyday for 25 years and I still find myself reaching for my phone to text/call him about something. I miss the shit out of him. :(

monstercameron

Neo Member
I still can not fall out 3 to this day due to how depressed it makes me feel. Those level designers outdid themselves, it's actually quite impressive.

My best friend since Jr. High and I would play the original Halo online on PC all the time back in the day. He died at the end of our senior year in high school, and I buried our copies of the game with him. Never re-bought or played the game after that.

Velius

Banned
I still can not fall out 3 to this day due to how depressed it makes me feel. Those level designers outdid themselves, it's actually quite impressive.

Inon Zur did some of his best and most subtle work in Fallout 3. There's a track that occasionally plays during the sunrise, and it's achingly beautiful. I had to keep the radio on during the entire game but every so often I'd stop it, sit still and listen to the score.

You're right- they were way ahead of everything in terms of atmosphere, building a desolate world.

JP

I really struggle with thathgamecompany's Journey.

My brother was murdered about a year before the game was released and a national newspaper ran a competition close to the launch in which people had to write a story about a "journey" they had travelled that had shaped who they were. I've suffered from severe clinical depression since I was quite a young child and although I can't really express why I felt it was important I did feel compelled to write about my "journey", particularly the recent events and how they had changed the person that I was, the person that I used to be.

It won the competition and I ended up with a copy of the game.

I do force myself to play the game from time to time, and as wonderful as it is, it is an absolute struggle for me. In particular with the way that the multiplayer works with complete strangers stumbling into your world but they inevitably just float when you're not paying attention. For me the game carries an unusual mix of such incredible peace an acceptance but also a feeling that every footstep I take makes the ground feel more like rusty razor blades than sand.

Velius

Banned
I really struggle with thathgamecompany's Journey.

My brother was murdered about a year before the game was released and a national newspaper ran a competition close to the launch in which people had to write a story about a "journey" they had travelled that had shaped who they were. I've suffered from severe clinical depression since I was quite a young child and although I can't really express why I felt it was important I did feel compelled to write about my "journey", particularly the recent events and how they had changed the person that I was, the person that I used to be.

It won the competition and I ended up with a copy of the game.

I do force myself to play the game from time to time, and as wonderful as it is, it is an absolute struggle for me. In particular with the way that the multiplayer works with complete strangers stumbling into your world but they inevitably just float when you're not paying attention. For me the game carries an unusual mix of such incredible peace an acceptance but also a feeling that every footstep I take makes the ground feel more like rusty razor blades than sand.

Jesus christ I'm so sorry

Jeeeeesus. That sounds painful as all hell, dude. Glad you managed to hang in there.

chixdiggit

I know it's supposed to be a funny game but in no way could I ever play Shower With Your Dad Simulator. I seriously get put into a mood when I see it advertised on Steam. I always fear Steam sales cause I know it will pop up as a deal.

Damerman

Grand Theft Auto - We had a really bad situation across the street where we used to live. Let's just say methamphetamines, parents either incapacitated or not home, and they gave their five year old GTA to "babysit" him. The kid was heading down a really bad path, abusive to animals, bullying kids in the neighborhood, etc. We tried to intercede and welcome him to our house and show a caring, friendly environment. But when he started hurting our kids with no sign of remorse or willingness to stop, that was it.

I'm not into censorship, but I do believe in age appropriateness. I by no means blamed the game for this child's behavior. But I certainly didn't think it was helpful that the parents allowed such a young child in an already troubled situation to play a game that rewarded violent, anti-social behavior. So I refused to bring the franchise into my house on principal. I wanted to lead by example and draw a clear line for my children that the criminal behavior depicted in that game was not acceptable. We had no shortage of age appropriate games to play so they weren't bored by any means.

When my eldest turned 17, GTAV was her first "mature" game purchase. Naturally, she shared it with her brother who was only 15 at the time. Although the danger zone of being too young to distinguish between good and evil was long past, I nevertheless remained steadfast in refusing to play it myself. I'd cross my arms, preach on how "ignoble" the game was and gave stern looks to show my disapproval, much to their amusement. I played my old school, out of touch, frumpy dad role well. But inside there was an emotional component too. I still associated GTA with that troubled child from the past.

It was just last winter when I finally put that behind me. My daughter was off in college, and my son, who was nearing his 17th birthday, was in bed with the flu. The house was quiet, the PS4 was sitting all alone, and their "evil" game was sitting on top. I finally succumbed to temptation and dared to fire up the game. Between Franklin & Lamar's banter and my crashing into everything, I was laughing so loud I woke my son up. The look of shock on his face, his exclamation of "YOU are playing GTAV???" and watching him pick his jaw up off the floor was worth the years of waiting.

not to shit on everyone else's stories, they were great and heartfelt, but this one is my favorite... makes me excited to be a dad.

Top Bottom