• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Draymond works for the organization, what's the difference? Tampering is tampering

It's mentioned in Kevin O'Connor's Ringer article with regards to CJ McCollum's tweets at Melo: basically the league would have to prove that Warrior ownership/front office asked Dray to talk to KD, otherwise you go down this slippery slope of trying to legislate what and when friends in the league can say to each other.

Oh shit 2011 Bulls in 2K18.

Derrick-Rose-Gif.gif

2012 Knicks in too although that's a lame team

It's mentioned in Kevin O'Connor's Ringer article with regards to CJ McCollum's tweets at Melo: basically the league would have to prove that Warrior ownership/front office asked Dray to talk to KD, otherwise you go down this slippery slope of trying to legislate what and when friends in the league can say to each other.

That feels an awful lot like selecting which type of tampering is acceptable. Is there really any difference between a team GM and Lebron, who's basically run the Cavs since he's been back?

RedAssedApe

Banned
That feels an awful lot like selecting which type of tampering is acceptable. Is there really any difference between a team GM and Lebron, who's basically run the Cavs since he's been back?

That's exactly what it is.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20402343/2017-nba-tampering-faq

Q: Why might the league consider this tampering but not Draymond Green's text to Kevin Durant shortly after Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals before Durant would become a free agent?

MARKS: Although there is language in the NBA constitution and the collective bargaining agreement, the league has looked the other way when it comes to a player recruiting another player in free agency or in trades. Unless a player violates the tampering rules by offering a financial incentive, the league will look the other way.

Here is the language through which the NBA could impose sanctions against a player: Article 35 (Misconduct) of the Constitution and Article XIII (Circumvention) states that the NBA can penalize with suspension or a fine.

"The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $50,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any Player who, in his opinion, (i) shall have made or caused to be made any statement having, or that was designed to have, an effect prejudicial or detrimental to the best interests of basketball or of the Association or of a Member."

Fjordson

Policing how and when Lebron (or any other player) can talk to his co-workers all the way down to like text messages or during an off-season workout seems like a logistical nightmare and would likely cause a shitstorm with the players and the union. And like Ninja said, it's a slippery slope.

You're not wrong, though. Media guys and former NBA employees have been talking about it for years: there's absolutely tampering all over the place. I'm just not sure there's any way to realistically monitor it.

That's probably a win-win for both teams when you assume that Irving won't change his mind about wanting to be traded and more importantly that IT won't be part of Boston's long term future. With that said, I'm not sure that Irving will be the best fit in Boston.

jbug617

Banned
I know Kyrie is the better player but IT is a fan favorite here. Has to be more going to Cleveland. Maybe the BK pick or Lakers pick.

jbug617

Banned
It might be something like

IT, Draft Pick (BK or LAL/SAC) and one of the wings (Crowder, Brown or Tatum).

Edit: Woj says the talks is serious

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kyrie and IT are about comparable players honestly. I can see why both teams would do this deal but its still fucking insane.

From Cleveland's perspective theres enough of a sample size to know that Kyrie without Lebron is.. not good. And really without Lebron does it even matter for them?

For Boston they have zero interest in paying IT and Kyrie's deal is a bargain compared to what the max looks like these days.

Its a huge win for Cleveland though if they can get someone like Crowder in it too. Boston really shouldn't give up more than IT + Crowder at all though and even then thats kind of a lot for Kyrie.

Tall4Life

No way should we sell everything for Kyrie. IT and Kyrie have pretty close offensive output, only thing is that Kyrie can physically play defense, even though he chooses not to most of the time. Something like IT + Crowder or maybeeeeeeeeee Brown or Tatum would be ok. Don't want to give those last two up though.

Kyrie and IT are about comparable players honestly. I can see why both teams would do this deal but its still fucking insane.

From Cleveland's perspective theres enough of a sample size to know that Kyrie without Lebron is.. not good. And really without Lebron does it even matter for them?

For Boston they have zero interest in paying IT and Kyrie's deal is a bargain compared to what the max looks like these days.

Its a huge win for Cleveland though if they can get someone like Crowder in it too. Boston really shouldn't give up more than IT + Crowder at all though and even then thats kind of a lot for Kyrie.

I think Boston has enough people on their roster to cover for Kyrie's deficiencies though.

Have to remember those Cleveland teams were built for LeBron not Kyrie.

spyder_ur

Whoa. This may actually happen.

I love IT, but I'm not going to act like the upgrade to Kyrie isn't huge. Crowder, IT and the LAL/Sac pick would be a great trade. Kyrie's younger, an elite scorer, and is under contract until 2020. Quite frankly, I'm stunned Cleveland would actually trade him, even though there was some smoke.

Also stuns me that Cleveland would be really interested in a currently-injured IT in LeBron's contract year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Woj says IT, Crowder and picks

It has to be like 2nd round picks right... because otherwise thats a fleecing. Honestly think IT is the better player but even if you prefer Kyrie the gap isn't that large. I am shocked Cleveland will manage to get a deal like this done with almost no leverage.

Bread

Banned
It has to be like 2nd round picks right... because otherwise thats a fleecing. Honestly think IT is the better player but even if you prefer Kyrie the gap isn't that large. I am shocked Cleveland will manage to get a deal like this done with almost no leverage.
It's really not a fleecing...at all. The Celtics get their young star PG to replace IT, the Cavs get a 3&D guy for Lebron + a pick to help the rebuild. Who will want to give IT the max next year? I'd overpay for Kyrie to make sure it's not us.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I mean I guess theres also the notion Boston thinks IT's hip is completely busted. Can only imagine the hilarity if the deal goes down and then IT fails a physical

spyder_ur

Isiah Thomas is 30 while Kyrie is like 25 (I think)

Kyrie and Thomas are very similar players right now imo

I love how people just age IT out of nowhere.

I do think they're comparable players currently, but I don't think they're similar talents. I'd love to see what a more mature, developed Kyrie could do in Boston.

seems like a win win deal for both sides if this goes through

I really don't see it for Cleveland. You're at best a marginally a better team next year, and that's basically all that matters. If Lebron leaves you're screwed anyways - what does a pick get you?

Whatever is going on in Cleveland this summer is strange as hell.

Top Bottom