• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks. I'm sorry to see them go. I bought Arcanum off of them among some other titles. It was a great service.

Good luck to them in their future endeavors.

I'm pissed of that we've probably lost the forums forever. a focal point for old classics, some guy was making a HD patch for outcast and we've potentially lost it forever now.

Roxas

what the actual fuck?! Didnt know they had a problem :(

It was a real neat idea, and i hope another group with more money take over or set up something similar.

Minsc

Gold Member
fizzelopeguss said:
GoG was a bit of a dodgy service, emulated dosbox games. Warez scene cracks for some of their titles. Bringing back old games was admirable though.

That's how it works on Steam (emulated dosbox games), is Steam a dodgy service too? And Warez scene cracks? Maybe you missed publishers using them on Steam too (though it did get pulled)? I don't recall which games brought up that issue on GoG, but it was anything but a dodgy service.

Polk

Let's hope it's just some redesign of the service. With collaboration another company and maybe not entirely drm-free?

I refuse to believe gog is gone for good.

Ikopi

Wow, this is horrible. They had so many great games I still had to play.

Have they shut down already? I would like to quickly grab some games before it's too late.

El Sloth

Banned
Well this just plain old sucks. :(

leroy hacker said:
Shocking and terrible news. There were a bunch of games I had put off buying and others I hadn't downloaded.

So sad to see the best example of what a digital store could be disappear.

Please elaborate. Of what problem do you speak?

I think he means he didn't buy any games from GoG.com

Minsc said:
4- Me too. And AoWII:SM!!! I think they should have just released them all last week and given us a chance to download them. At least I grabbed AoW I for $5.
AoW2SM is going up (or is up) on Impulse, so that's there at least.

Aside from now having to download everything I bought (since I didn't keep any of the installer packages lying around), I'm kinda pissed that I missed out on some of the more recent releases since I usually buy in clumps. Specifically I-War 1/2.

Ogs

1lgxy.jpg

I laughed, then died inside :(

Any ideas why ? Legal problems ? This sucks :(

The writing has been on the wall about this for over a year but I'm still very sad to see it go. GOG was doing a wonderful, morally upstanding thing in preserving an era of gaming history that (thanks to DRM, the disposable-culture zeitgeist, and foolishly short-sighted decisions) is becoming less and less accessible to today's gamers with every passing day -- and by selling cheap, DRM-free products they were one of the few PC game vendors I was willing to patronize. Godspeed (and I hope you come through and give me a chance to download my stuff for archival purposes.)

Also: good job, fuckass publishers. Thanks to your idiotic attachment to invasive DRM for games that would be valueless without services like GOG, you have gone from a situation where you receive steady long-tail sales for all these old games with no work whatsoever on your part to a situation where everyone who wants them just goes and downloads the now-inevitable BigGOGPack torrent some jackass will put together and you receive no money whatsoever. Thanks a fucking lot!

Twitter - GOGcom:

"Sometimes it's really hard being DRM-free... hard to keep things the way they are and keep management and publishers happy :("
"Thanks for the support everyone. Hopefully everything works out for the best!"

nny

I don't know what caused this (sudden?) decision, but it would be great if they could have announced this some time before pulling the plug, so I could get some of the games I was thinking of buying but never did.

It's so fucking depressing to open their site and see just some lines of text. Bad news text.

Polk

Volcynika said:
Steam uses what publishers put up there. One of the Max Payne games used an unofficial crack, but it was later pulled.
I know, all I was saying cracked version of MP2 was on steam, not on gog.

Truespeed

I don't want to see anyone, and I mean anyone, saying that selling old abandonware games for $5.99 was a bad business model.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
charlequin said:
Also: good job, fuckass publishers. Thanks to your idiotic attachment to invasive DRM for games that would be valueless without services like GOG, you have gone from a situation where you receive steady long-tail sales for all these old games with no work whatsoever on your part to a situation where everyone who wants them just goes and downloads the now-inevitable BigGOGPack torrent some jackass will put together and you receive no money whatsoever. Thanks a fucking lot!
This right here. Although there wont be a torrent but all those "abandonware" sites will just put the download links back up instead of links to Gog.

Never used Gog because i dont like DD but am sad to see them go. They had the best model for DD out of the bunch, imo.

nny said:
What the fuck? I was not expecting this at all.

They clearly weren't either (their twitter stream is all sunshine and daffodils, full of product announcements and sales pitches, until yesterday) but there was a big thread about CDProjekt's terrible finances six months ago or so ago where we discussed exactly this possibility.

Truespeed said:
I don't want to see anyone, and I mean anyone, saying that selling old abandonware games for $5.99 was a bad business model.

The idiot publishers they were licensing their games from seem to think that. :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Of All Trades said:
AoW2SM is going up (or is up) on Impulse, so that's there at least.

Well that's good news, thanks! I'll let the smoke settle and see if GoG somehow offers it first, if not then Impulse it is! :)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
For fucks sake. This is bullshit. I just hope some of the publishers let the games show up on other DD platforms like steam, since I couldn't get games like Descent or Duke Nukem 3D anywhere else.

God damn it.

R.I.P. GoG, you let me experience an era of PC gaming I barely got to. And now i'm depressed. I hope things go well with the other efforts at CD Projekt though.

Pooya

CD Projekt has been really unlucky lately, witcher for consoles cut canned, they laid off some people after that and their DD service is now gone too. somebody posted some financial reports in the witcher 2 thread.. well you know, witcher 2 better sell a lot otherwise I don't think CD Projekt will remain in business for much longer after that or most likely there will be more layoffs :| . They are betting everything on it.

Zerokku said:
For fucks sake. This is bullshit. I just hope some of the publishers let the games show up on other DD platforms like steam, since I couldn't get games like Descent or Duke Nukem 3D anywhere else.
can get dn3d and the other apogee games from 3d realms' store. 3drealms.com and from impulse

Sysgen

No surprise. Saw this coming along time ago. They would offer games for prices that other services had for as much as 90% less and never would be able to match competitors pricing.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Glad I still have my fallout games from them downloaded along with the manuals, soundtracks, and reference cards.

Trying to go on the site right now and it's not loading. Probably being spammed by everyone trying to download their games.

Sad news though, I really liked their model.

EDIT

Valve...this is a great opportunity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom