• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

I kind of hope for the opposite, actually. I think given how Eleven already had what I'd consider the most destructive regeneration ever seen, as well as Twelve's current melodrama, a quiet and dignified regeneration would suit better (and be in keeping with Moffat's style of subverting expectations e.g. the Smith/Capaldi flash).

I'd also like it to take place outside of the TARDIS, purely because we've had the last three there. Though I suspect the set will end up wrecked anyway. And that would write Chibnall into something of a corner...

It's difficult to do a regeneration outside the TARDIS, especially in these circumstances with the show changing hands as:

1) it makes it a thousand times more difficult to control leaks etc once you leave Doctor Who's sole standing, closed set
2) it's difficult to imagine a new episode/run of the show for a new Doctor NOT starting on either int. TARDIS (The Eleventh Hour) or ext. exiting the TARDIS (The Christmas Invasion, Deep Breath)

There's a third difficulty, but it's more of a wrinkle, which is simply that I bet Chibs will want his own take on the TARDIS interior and that'll involve finding an excuse to destroy the old one, of which regeneration is perfect.

Just finished NuWho season 2. I gotta say, Army of Ghosts / Doomsday is the best season finale of the modern era. No Power of Love or goofy twist or Deus ex Machina. And Daleks' trash talk game is on point.

Bluth54

Just finished NuWho season 2. I gotta say, Army of Ghosts / Doomsday is the best season finale of the modern era. No Power of Love or goofy twist or Deus ex Machina. And Daleks' trash talk game is on point.

The Daleks trash talking the Cybermen is one of my favorite funny moments in Who.

Blader

Random question, but has Twelve's ring ever been explained? Is it just Capaldi wearing his own wedding ring, or is it meant to be the Doctor's wedding ring with River?

I think one of the biggest miscalculations RTD made was immediately shifting from the heart-rending goodbye between Ten and Rose to Donna in a wedding dress shouting. I get he didn't want to leave kids completely devastated at the end of the finale, but I think it totally shatters the mood. He corrected this in Journey's End by leaving out any Christmas tease and just letting the end of the story sink in, but by then he'd already ruined Rose's ending again, heh.

Random question, but has Twelve's ring ever been explained? Is it just Capaldi wearing his own wedding ring, or is it meant to be the Doctor's wedding ring with River?

I think one of the biggest miscalculations RTD made was immediately shifting from the heart-rending goodbye between Ten and Rose to Donna in a wedding dress shouting. I get he didn't want to leave kids completely devastated at the end of the finale, but I think it totally shatters the mood. He corrected this in Journey's End by leaving out any Christmas tease and just letting the end of the story sink in, but by then he'd already ruined Rose's ending again, heh.

On the ring, here you go: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/we-over-moon-doctor-whos-7598048

On the last thing, IIRC he almost did a christmas tease in Journey's End but was talked out of it by Ben in the Writer's Tale book?

My kids were certainly all "WTF?" about it.

They were also expecting a happy ending for Rose so were very bummed.

They only have to wait until today to see what the bride thing is all about.

They're basically reliving my Who experience starting right after the 50th aired.

a1f8e63957ebd19152945fb7e5bde48d.jpg

On the last thing, IIRC he almost did a christmas tease in Journey's End but was talked out of it by Ben in the Writer's Tale book?

Yeah. One reason they were able to scrap it was because they were starting filming early n the Christmas special that year, so they actually had footage they could show in a teaser trailer when Journey's End aired.

The flip side of this is I watched it with a very young child who was tremendously upset who then sort of perked up and said "it's okay now," directly because of that. I think Donna and the Titanic cliffhangers worked to take the edge off a downer without ruining it (indeed, the whole of The Runaway Bride is the Doctor acting, pretending the hurt isn't there, and then every now and then the cracks appear. Yeah, he's doing his "What?!" but the flip side is once we pick up in the next episode he is sad, all episode - but the shock gives us reason to still have our Doctor, active and heroic, through that sadness. (This versus The Snowmen, where he spends most of the episode moping and must be coaxed out of the TARDIS with the word Pond). Both of those cliffhangers give us the impetus to push on into the next adventure. You could fix this by having an undisclosed gap between the episodes (as indeed ends up being the case between Journey's End and The Next Doctor), but RTD was never much about that school of leaving hundred-year gaps like Moffat, and the merits of that are a different debate entirely.

"Her name was Rose," is probably one of the most pitch-perfect moments ever in the show, imo. But I don't think it works as well, as honestly, with the wound being less immediate.

He was right to be talked out of it after Series 4 though for a multitude of reasons - he was only being led into a single episode, not a series, and Series 4 was triumphant enough as it was - more so than Series 2 and 3, which were both victories but very hollow ones due to the loss of Rose and the Doctor being left (he thinks) finally alone forever with The Master dead. Series 4 is a celebration that's a bit sad because he's left alone, except we know he's not really alone as he can land at any of those places and be welcomed with open arms.

RE the ring, the news story above explains it but one detail is brushed over, which is basically that it exists because Capaldi wanted to wear his wedding ring in the role but wanted to 'mask' it to look like a Gallifreyan ring, so he wears another ring 'next' to it and they sort of overlap. But he wanted to keep his wedding band on for what'll probably be his most iconic role.

Pagusas

Elden Member
On a different note, why did the BBC never persue more Who universe shows like Torchwood and SJC? They helped fill out the who universe, yet seem to be entirely dropped. You'd think the network would want to leverage the universe as much as possible, especially in this day and age where everyone wants a "MCU".

I wonder when we will be banished to Community now that the series is over.

Late, but the last thread never got banished. In general, I think mods don't really care how long an OT sticks around in OT anymore.

On a different note, why did the BBC never persue more Who universe shows like Torchwood and SJC? They helped fill out the who universe, yet seem to be entirely dropped. You'd think the network would want to leverage the universe as much as possible, especially in this day and age where everyone wants a "MCU".
Hey, there was Class!... in a place no one was watching.

Why do I feel like Mofftat/Chibnall made the wait so long on purpose to beat out the longest we have ever went between announcement of the current leaving and the new Doctor's reveal?

William Hartnell Leaving - 6 August 1966, Patrick Troughton Announcement - 2 September 1966 [27 Days]
Patrick Troughon Leaving - 7 January 1969, Jon Pertwee Announcement - 21 June 1969 [165 Days]
Jon Pertwee Leaving - 9 February 1974, Tom Baker Annoumement - 16 February 1974 [7 Days]
Tom Baker Leaving - 25 October 1980, Peter Davison Announcement - 5 November 1980 [11 Days]
Peter Davison Leaving - 29 July 1983, Colin Baker Announcement - 20 August 1983 [22 Days]
Colin Baker Leaving - 19 December 1986, Sylvester McCoy Announcement - 28 February 1987 [71 Days]
Christopher Eccleston Leaving - 31 March 2005, David Tennant Announcement - 16th April 2005 [17 Days]
David Tennant Leaving - 29 October 2008, Matt Smith Announcement - 3 Jan 2009 [66 Days]
Matt Smith Leaving - 1 June 2013, Peter Capaldi Announcement - 4 Aug 2013 [64 Days]
Peter Capaldi Leaving - 30 January 2017 - 16 Janurary 2017 [167 days]

Took the chart from Gallifery Base :)

Baleoce

So, is it known (I can't honestly recall) whether the time lords granted the doctor one extra regeneration at the end of matt smiths era, or a whole new cycle?

Top Bottom