• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

kfpkiller

The controls are horrible, and without the CCP it's an abomination.
Framerate is terrible during cutscenes.
Jaggies everywhere, aliasing is really bad, specially on grass.

Yikes this is hideous. Coming off playing the HD collection version probably doesn't help, but this just feels and looks worse than I even remember playing it on PS2. Jaggies galore

I haven't tried the demo myself yet (I'm in work) but these impressions are horrible...

if the finished product is better than this (as one or two reviews might seem to suggest) they were stupid for releasing this...

if the finished product is exactly like this... well, it sounds like they were stupid for releasing this!

I really enjoyed that.

Looks like I'm pre-ordering.

Edit: complaints of aliasing, still the Metal Gear goodness that I want.

Do you know if you can lock the camera like in Snake Eater?

kanugo

You guys are making a good point saying it's a more recent build, but if so, I think Nintendo/Konami/Kojima Productions weren's very smart in giving an old build to the public to experiment before pre-ordering/buying the game.

It's still MGS3. It might not be the definite version, but so far it looks like a descent port of one of the best games imo.

Totally agree.

It may not be the best possible port of it but it's still great and does look good (even though with a little more work it could possibly look better).

I want more.

Kerub

Banned
Nice demo, enjoyed it!

3D were pretty good, a lot better than I thought it would be. Framerate is perfectly playable even if cutscenes are really slow. I hope they fix that! Controlling the camera with the buttons felt a bit wierd though.

Overall it's looking good, I'd buy this if I didn't have a Vita.

Rekubot

Ergh, this game is not meant for such a small screen.

For those wondering about framerate, I'd estimate 20fps in every cutscene and around 30 for gameplay. It's the controls that are a dealbreaker though, at least without the CPP. Couldn't Konami figure out gyro aiming or something?

Also, climbing on top of objects requires you to reach across the screen with your right hand to the d-pad while staying pressed up against the object with the slide pad. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Izcarielo

Banned
So, what are we missing that EDGE saw in this game to give it 8/10?

Probably they played the final version of the game.
Im downloading it right now, but if everything is as bleak as all of you say, ill finally buy the HD Collection for Vita :/ (BTW, is MGS3 in Vita running at 60fps? any confirmation?)

Lemonte

That was better than I expected. Looks good, frame rate is ok, 3d is best I have seen in any game (haven't played many games on 3ds) but the controls are weird. To me it's really hard to aim with weapons. How are the controls with circle pad pro?

Medalion

Banned
This is supposed to be the demo from E3 last year so a lot could have changed...but if people were looking for a reason to buy a Vita after playing this, they weren't really hard to convince apparently.

Peff

That "old code!!1" thing is most likely bullshit, and certainly not E3 code which didn't have the Peace Walker UI stuff. The demo looks final, has the extra european languages and it's compatible with the CCP, I doubt the retail game will be very different, we'll see.

Mr Swine

Banned
Probably they played the final version of the game.
Im downloading it right now, but if everything is as bleak as all of you say, ill finally buy the HD Collection for Vita :/ (BTW, is MGS3 in Vita running at 60fps? any confirmation?)

Wasn't it debunked that the HD collection isn't coming for Vita?

Mafro

That "old code!!1" thing is most likely bullshit, and certainly not E3 code which didn't have the Peace Walker UI stuff. The demo looks final, has the extra european languages and it's compatible with the CCP, I doubt the retail game will be very different, we'll see.
Was it not mentioned in one of the other threads that this is the same as the TGS demo, but with circle pad support?

LeleSocho

Banned
Without CCP it's unplayable and i really don't know how people have played PW/will play this with these controls, thank god i'm going to buy the PS3 version of Peace Walker.

Aliasing isn't that bad but the grass that pops out of nowhere is really bad

Just realistic, this demo is bad.

Not really. The controls are solid, with and without CPP. Without it plays like Peace Walker, which was far from being an "abomination". Framerate is fine during gameplay so far. Haven't seen a cutscene yet. And "jaggies everywhere": I'm pretty sure a field of grass would have looked the same in RE:R, which got praise for its visuals. That's what the 3DS screen is capable of. Good enough for me. Sure, it will look better on Vita, but was there any doubt about that?

Not really. The controls are solid, with and without CPP. Without it plays like Peace Walker, which was far from being an "abomination". Framerate is fine during gameplay so far. Haven't seen a cutscene yet. And "jaggies everywhere": I'm pretty sure a field of grass would have looked the same in RE:R, which got praise for its visuals. That's what the 3DS screen is capable of. Good enough for me. Sure, it will look better on Vita, but was there any doubt about that?

People complained about controls of PW as well, lot of folks just put up with it, and some were just happy that it was much better than the controls in PO. The visuals are just dissapointing after we got so many ports and it just feels inferior to even it's original release, it barely seems to hold 30fps. It's not unplayable or anything like that, but this is the worst version of the game it seems.

kfpkiller

uh? People complained all the time about PW controls.

I liked it.
It' kinda pretty. Framerate is correct. The controls are surprisingly good : like PW, with some modifications I think. Didn't tried with the 2nd pad. Enjoyed the demo, will buy it. And crouching makes the games 10 times better (EDIT : perhaps easier, but based on 10 min gameplay, I can't really say). My only gripe are the effing gyro controls for the bridge : they are awfull.

Just beat the demo twice without the Circle Pad Pro and I thought it was great. Frame rate got pretty choppy during a few parts but it was certainly playable the entire way through. Had no trouble getting head shots using first or third person aiming using the buttons to aim. Graphically I thought it looked fairly nice on the small screen.

I played once with 3D and once without and I think if I were to purchase and play this version (I wouldn't, already have it on PS2 and PS3) I would probably play the game with the 3D off but turn it on for cut scenes. Far too much looking between the two screens broke the 3D effect more than I'd like.

Very mild early-game MGS3 spoilers:
I really wish the demo didn't end when you enter Sokolov's room. I really wanted to see the Ocelot introduction in 3D!

Edit: Oh, FUCK the tilt controls during the bridge part. Tilt controls should go to jail.

People complained about controls of PW as well, lot of folks just put up with it, and some were just happy that it was much better than the controls in PO. The visuals are just dissapointing after we got so many ports and it just feels inferior to even it's original release, it barely seems to hold 30fps. It's not unplayable or anything like that, but this is the worst version of the game it seems.

The thing is, the ports 3DS got so far, were released on N64 originally (Zelda, StarFox). This was a late PS2 release that pushed the console to its limits in 2004/05. Sure, it's not the go to version by any means at this point, but as fan of this game I'm far from being disappointed. And people who haven't touched this gem and don't have PS2/3/vita should play this for sure.

Without CCP it's unplayable and i really don't know how people have played PW/will play this with these controls, thank god i'm going to buy the PS3 version of Peace Walker.

Aliasing isn't that bad but the grass that pops out of nowhere is really bad

PSP didn't have a second analog, so you might struggle to get used to playing PW. I played PW (PSP) with a Dual Shock 3.

PSP didn't have a second analog, so you might struggle to get used to playing PW. I played PW (PSP) with a Dual Shock 3.

PW was designed around it's control scheme. This is still MGS3 and was originally designed for dual analogs so it's hard to say especially how easy it's going to be later on in some of the tougher parts of the game and boss fights.

Okay, just tried it without the CPP -

the framerate during gameplay is okay (by which I mean passable), and the grass is better than some comments here led me to believe. It doesn't pop in or out exactly, it has the same nice fade-from-view (in first person crawling) that the PS2 version has for example. Essentially, it feels a lot like the PS2 game on a small screen to me... which isn't a bad thing, as it was an excellent game.

However, I feel like the low resolution really makes the bloom in the sky (shining through gaps in the leaves) look a bit shimmery... in a bad way. And the brief cut-scenes I've seen do seem lower frame-rate. I'm wondering if they're fully in-engine, or if they've over optimised to fit things into this into 139mb demo. Overall, the visuals are not a major complaint for me... I like the 3D.

the controls without the CPP are okay but are seriously going to piss some people off. I like the touch screen menus - touch holding the weapon icon to switch feels and sounds nice, the map on view all the time like that will be useful I'm sure... I didn't try photo camo (can we in this demo?)... but the one point where I literally said what the fuck has already been mentioned. Up on the circle pad AND the d-pad to climb a wall? R to knock? That is just stupid. Its not a case of them not having enough buttons, its just really stupid button mapping. With the CPP I'm sure it controls much better, I'll try that later.

If you have square hands. It controls exactly like PW, and many of us clocked 100+ hours in PW.

And other people found Peace Walker uncontrollable, myself included. Absolute garbage controls. I draw the line at physical pain.

I'm going to try this demo when it goes up in the US in an hour, but I'll probably just replay Subsistence again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You guys are making a good point saying it's a more recent build, but if so, I think Nintendo/Konami/Kojima Productions weren's very smart in giving an old build to the public to experiment before pre-ordering/buying the game.
In all honesty, I expect the final version to look and run very much like this demo. Believing otherwise is a bit of a false hope, me thinks, and will only lead to disappointment.

Wasn't it debunked that the HD collection isn't coming for Vita?
It is coming to Vita. Kojima teased photos of the games running on Vita.

d5r0f.jpg

Omikaru

Wrong game, wrong system. I appreciate that Kojima Productions were enamoured with the 3D effect, and really wanted to push Snake Eater into the 3D realm, but it's just not the right game for the 3DS.

In-game framerate seems okay, but the cutscenes look horrible. MGS3's gameplay also isn't very conducive to Peace Walker's control scheme. The whole thing is just a disaster.

They should've ported Peace Walker and given it a bit of a facelift instead of porting MGS3 and downgrading it in pretty much every respect.

The framerate definetly got a lot better since I played the demo at Gamescom (allthough that might just be my imagination), and the game itself plays well with the CCP. Great in fact. Aiming and Stick acceleration are much better balanced than in Resident Evil Revelations.

The touch screen is still completely useless and a waste of space.

I also noticed a weird glitch. When aiming in first person with either the MK11 or the XM16 the game turns off 3D, yet it remains 3D when aiming in first person with the knife equipped.

Overall the game could be great if the final version fixes the main problems (framerate stutter and standard controls have to be fixed. It's simply unplayable)

Top Bottom