• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Wedzi

Banned
Agreed that the Xbox customers in no way should be blamed for not throwing money at those games that didn't work out as they'd hoped, but I think it's being brought up in discussion cause there seems to be some revisionist history that because these games didn't turn out well, it's like MSFT never developed and released attempts at new IP and diversifying their lineup.

Unfortunately, this gen hasn't been a successful one for new IP for Xbox (Ori being the only resounding success thus far).

That would be...surprising for Below to get a physical release imo. Hopefully it's coming out this year though, looks really cool.

Don't get me wrong, I think the major reason MS isn't producing many new games is because of the lack of success for past games, but not for lack of trying. The beginning of the generation was very different. It's part of the reason why I think they are being extra careful with with development of Sea of Thieves, taking a fan first community approach to development. But when you have the head of Xbox crying about bad review scores for Recore you wonder if they truly get it. Maybe it was because it just wasn't a good game Phil!

daTRUballin

Was berated because he liked Mass Effect Andromeda, as far as I know... Decided to leave.

He left because people couldn't deal with him liking Mass Effect Andromeda. They hounded him and said he was basically just trying to sell the game rather than genuinely liking it.

Shinobi just got tired of Neogaf. Really the straw the broke the camels back was about his positive preview he wrote for us about his early time with Mass Effect Andromeda, and then people endlessly shitting on him for it. Go look at the review thread if you're curious.

Wow. That's pretty shitty to hear. Come on GAF, you're better than this......

Hopefully he comes back at some point.

Figments

I think there are various reasons for why a product does not perform well. It isn't solely "because they didn't want it".

Blaming the lack of diversity on gaffers is one of the most insane things I've ever read on this forum. People here are hardcore and I'm sure most Xbox owners who have expressed diversity concerns are buying those new games. Because obviously they WANT diversity.

The only thing your point proves is that Xbox's audience on large scale is really made up mostly of dudebros who play the same shit over and over. Yet when things like that are said here, posters like you get pissed and say otherwise. I know I've got a ton of shit for saying that around here. And if it really is an audience/demographics problem, it's 100% Microsoft's fault for completely failing to nurture and expand that audience into something bigger and wider.

It's not the average Gaffer/internet gamer enthusiast's fault that these games aren't selling well. There's only so many of us.

I mean hell, even if you look at some of the "different" games from Sony's side that GAF clamors about (Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, etc.) it's not like those games sold all that well either. But the difference is the expectations, it seems like, between the two companies on how these games will perform.

It's also not the consumers' fault for rejecting games they have no interest in. You can't say "oh you wanted something different, *this* is different so buy it!" and expect them to fall in line. That's not how it works.

I'll admit, in my frustration I had gone a bit too far and insinuated something that isn't 100% true. I apologize.

However, the point still stands that barely anyone--in the realm of Xbox at large--is buying these games. They're flopping out the gate, by and large, while large staples like Halo and Gears are, despite more stiff competition, still being talked about, are still being played, are still being bought, regardless of lower ROI compared to previous entries in the franchises.

My issue with Microsoft has always been more the general lack of effective marketing in recent years than the lack of AAA-level titles outside of the expected franchise entries. It's their responsibility to make people want to buy their games, and they're largely failing to do that this generation.

The problem with the diversity argument, however, has always been that the argument is almost always made in favor of singleplayer story-driven games or garnering more Japanese support. The latter I fully agree with--Microsoft should be evangelizing the platform to more Japanese devs, they should be getting every IP not tied down to PlayStation because of Sony money on their box. But the singleplayer bit of the argument is more problematic for me.

Its fundamental flaw is that it ignores the potential diversity gained from continuing to develop new multiplayer-focused IPs, or fostering existing multiplayer-focused IPs, and instead favors a diversity that is in favor of only one outcome. That's ... not diversity. It's the opposite of diversity.

Consumers deserve quality titles on the box that they purchased--that's why they even purchased said box. However, that quality is often equated to singleplayer story-driven AAA games, not multiplayer-focused AAA games. That's a lopsided argument blatantly in favor of personal preference rather than the actual goal of diversity.

As I've said before, Microsoft should be pursuing shit like Splatoon, not just pursuing shit like Horizon.

An earlier post in this thread talked about goalpost shifting when it comes to internal development, and while I agree dismissing games that didn't come from internal studios is foolish, more and more I have expectations for internal teams to step up to the plate compared to external development.

I know 1st party external development can come up with great stuff not inferior or better than what internal teams can come up with, as we saw with Sunset Overdrive, Alan Wake & Gears 1-3. And in Sony's case, Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne, etc.

But if this generation has been indicative of anything, it's that these relationships don't last, can easily break down, and more and more I question the capability of some of the less established developers to deliver polished, high quality AAA games in the same caliber as teams with at least 100+ headcount.

Established developers matter, because while a 50 person team might be able to make a game that has the 3D models, scale, and presentation that can come close to that of a AAA game, there is still a far leap between what Armature delivered with ReCore and what Remedy delivers with their games.

Of course, there are devs that are able to step up their game and prove their mettle despite scale of studio. But it doesn't leave one with a sense of reassurance.

For me, Crackdown 3 is that game. From how the game is a 3-studio collab between the cloud-tech, the creative team and presumably the asset/coders at Sumo Digital, it screams to me of a "AAA game that a small team cannot make on their own, so they need significant support from two other studios that aren't part of the traditional dev pipeline."

I might be proven wrong and that it turns out the 3-studio collab as as efficient as Ubisoft's 10-studio collaboration, but from the outside looking into it, it feels that way.

The sense that AAA funding are being given to studios/teams who aren't up to snuff to deliver that superb AAA game.

Salty Hippo

I'll admit, in my frustration I had gone a bit too far and insinuated something that isn't 100% true. I apologize.

However, the point still stands that barely anyone--in the realm of Xbox at large--is buying these games. They're flopping out the gate, by and large, while large staples like Halo and Gears are, despite more stiff competition, still being talked about, are still being played, are still being bought, regardless of lower ROI compared to previous entries in the franchises.

My issue with Microsoft has always been more the general lack of effective marketing in recent years than the lack of AAA-level titles outside of the expected franchise entries. It's their responsibility to make people want to buy their games, and they're largely failing to do that this generation.

The problem with the diversity argument, however, has always been that the argument is almost always made in favor of singleplayer story-driven games or garnering more Japanese support. The latter I fully agree with--Microsoft should be evangelizing the platform to more Japanese devs, they should be getting every IP not tied down to PlayStation because of Sony money on their box. But the singleplayer bit of the argument is more problematic for me.

Its fundamental flaw is that it ignores the potential diversity gained from continuing to develop new multiplayer-focused IPs, or fostering existing multiplayer-focused IPs, and instead favors a diversity that is in favor of only one outcome. That's ... not diversity. It's the opposite of diversity.

Consumers deserve quality titles on the box that they purchased--that's why they even purchased said box. However, that quality is often equated to singleplayer story-driven AAA games, not multiplayer-focused AAA games. That's a lopsided argument blatantly in favor of personal preference rather than the actual goal of diversity.

As I've said before, Microsoft should be pursuing shit like Splatoon, not just pursuing shit like Horizon.

Diversity is not just to go in the opposite direction of the competition though. You don't want to JUST diversify yourself from the other box. There are people who only have an Xbox who want to be able to play all kinds of games on their system. That's diversity, to offer the widest array of experiences in your box as you can. It has little to do with japanese games, it has some to do with having both SP and MP games, and it has a lot to do with genres. You should have everything.

Quantity helps too. I'd argue that covering 10 completely different genres with quality SP-only games provides more diversity than offering 3 quality SP and 3 quality MP games of somewhat redundant genres/styles. Of course there will always be people who don't care at all about SP games, just like there are people who don't care at all about MP, but if we go down that rabbit hole of picking and choosing consumers we can easily discredit absolutely anything.

Wedzi

Banned

Why Microsoft never did a soda Sunset Overdrive marketing collaboration I'll never know. They even had special cans made and sent to reviewers!

And I don't think most gamers here are just clamoring for single player only experiences (well maybe a few). Games like Gears, Halo and Forza all have strong single player and multiplayer experiences in one package. I actually think a lot of gamers (outside of Gaf) consider AAA games by the variety in the package. Take a look at Halo, Destiny, CoD, Division, GTA. These games have mutli modes aimed at a variety of gamers, from campaign, to cooperative, to competitive.

For example, I honestly think a lot of people were excited for the idea of a large Rare made AAA pirate RPG but when you learn that it's mostly multiplayer oriented and doesn't have the other RPG trappings a solo player might enjoy, you can't help but feel disappointed.

Then you have the issue of having to add in multiplayer components to a game instead of just letting it be single player like what we've heard what happened with Scalebound because it doesn't fit the games as a service bill. It's not even just the issue of having a game be single or multiplayer either, but the idea that it has to be a service as well and just can't stand by itself.

A lot of these things though are out of our control and just speak to the changing landscape of what the majority of Xbox gamers want. They want service driven games like Minecraft, Ark Survial, CoD, GTA Online, Smite, etc. And MS is in the business of giving the people what the want. If you want story driven single player only games, then you'll just have to buy a PlayStation and that's OK.

(On a side note I was just looking at the most popular games on Xbox One right now and Black Ops 2 is number 3 on the list lol holy shit. People really like that game.)

sam12

Lack of solid single player games has definitely hurt them when it comes to 3rd party games as well. Games like a Resident Evil 7 or FF 15 that should be selling more on Xbox one as compared with their predecessors on 360 are not, mainly because people are flocking to PS4 where they know they can expect a good mix of single player and multiplayer games. Microsoft needs to appeal to not just the gamers that are into Destiny/COD/Battlefield but those that appreciate story driven single player focused games.

Don't get me wrong, I think the major reason MS isn't producing many new games is because of the lack of success for past games, but not for lack of trying. The beginning of the generation was very different. It's part of the reason why I think they are being extra careful with with development of Sea of Thieves, taking a fan first community approach to development. But when you have the head of Xbox crying about bad review scores for Recore you wonder if they truly get it. Maybe it was because it just wasn't a good game Phil!
The Recore situation is strange, very odd to see MSFT people complaining about review scores publically, especially when the consensus seems to have been that the game has potential, but that it could have used some more time in the oven.
An earlier post in this thread talked about goalpost shifting when it comes to internal development, and while I agree dismissing games that didn't come from internal studios is foolish, more and more I have expectations for internal teams to step up to the plate compared to external development.

I know 1st party external development can come up with great stuff not inferior or better than what internal teams can come up with, as we saw with Sunset Overdrive, Alan Wake & Gears 1-3. And in Sony's case, Ratchet & Clank, Bloodborne, etc.

But if this generation has been indicative of anything, it's that these relationships don't last, can easily break down, and more and more I question the capability of some of the less established developers to deliver polished, high quality AAA games in the same caliber as teams with at least 100+ headcount.

Established developers matter, because while a 50 person team might be able to make a game that has the 3D models, scale, and presentation that can come close to that of a AAA game, there is still a far leap between what Armature delivered with ReCore and what Remedy delivers with their games.

Of course, there are devs that are able to step up their game and prove their mettle despite scale of studio. But it doesn't leave one with a sense of reassurance.

For me, Crackdown 3 is that game. From how the game is a 3-studio collab between the cloud-tech, the creative team and presumably the asset/coders at Sumo Digital, it screams to me of a "AAA game that a small team cannot make on their own, so they need significant support from two other studios that aren't part of the traditional dev pipeline."

I might be proven wrong and that it turns out the 3-studio collab as as efficient as Ubisoft's 10-studio collaboration, but from the outside looking into it, it feels that way.

The sense that AAA funding are being given to studios/teams who aren't up to snuff to deliver that superb AAA game.

I think you bring up a good point here about AAA work being given to studios that maybe don't have the abilities/resources/experience/etc to pull that work off. The AAA game market has been getting squeezed in recent years; it's become more expensive and requires more people to deliver high quality AAA work, which has run a number of studios out of business (including MSFT's own studios). The demand for those games hasn't waned of course, so now we're seeing publishers like MSFT turn to other methods to get these games made (and turning to other models for revenue such as embracing GaaS).

Head.spawn

Here's a tease.

tumblr_m5a68xDovB1qecbqfo1_400.gif

peppa pig is an insider?

Dlacy13g

I saw a tweet referring to a deal MS Studio made with the former Disney Infinity hardware maker. Anyone know anything about that?

Also calling it now... crackdown 3 purchase will include beta for Halo 6. Returning to the successful formula they did with original Crackdown.

Also calling it now... crackdown 3 purchase will include beta for Halo 6. Returning to the successful formula they did with original Crackdown.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Seems like a sensible way of building hype for Halo 6 as well as guaranteeing extra sales for Crackdown 3.

Agreed that the Xbox customers in no way should be blamed for not throwing money at those games that didn't work out as they'd hoped, but I think it's being brought up in discussion cause there seems to be some revisionist history that because these games didn't turn out well, it's like MSFT never developed and released attempts at new IP and diversifying their lineup.

Unfortunately, this gen hasn't been a successful one for new IP for Xbox (Ori being the only resounding success thus far).

Big concern that the only bankable new ip they got is the one that launched day and date on Steam when they don't want to do that with their games.

I hope Ori 2 doesn't skip Steam at launch

rrc1594

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/27/xbox-chief-netflix-video-games-episodes-subscription-downloads-phil-spencer

“Right now the focus is really on the content that we’re building,” he says. “I know I get some community pushback on our first-party [slate], and what position we’re in, and I want to say to people: that same level of commitment you felt from myself and from the team as we’ve evolved platform over the last three years – as we’ve evolved service over the last three years, as we’ve evolved and innovated hardware over the last three years – is going on with our first party. I don’t want to go and pre-announce a bunch of things, but we are upping our investment, there’s no doubt about that.”

“The audience for those big story-driven games... I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent,” says Spencer. “You’ll have things like Zelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind.

What was he trying to say here? Horizon and Zelda are both doing very well on the market.

MarveI

What was he trying to say here? Horizon and Zelda are both doing very well on the market.

Yeah no clue what he's on about there. Didn't Uncharted 4 sell almost 10m ?
I'm sure BOTW sold a lot too. When all is said and done will probably outsell the previous gen games for Sony at least. Maybe Nintendo too.

Sonys 1st party is one of the main reasons why they have that 2:! ratio. It's a gateway to everything else (one of which is the amount of players they've secured for those big service based games). Phil is wrong here imo. Even if Sony makes a loss on those 1st party exclusives they don't care too much because they are there to get more people to pick the PS4 over the X1. And they've succeeded in that overwhelmingly. Sony gets it. Phil doesn't seem to.

The takeaway here is that MS is all about GaaS now.

lol at downplaying Zelda success.
I mean he's right and wrong at the same time

He's wrong because SP games are important for the diversity of the portfolio and if done correctly can sell north of 2million and provide a good return on investment.

He's right in the fact that it is a One time sale with little room for more monetization. MS would rather sell 1mil copies of Crackdown 3 with micro transactions and ways to service the title in the future with more revenue gain opportunities than 2 million copies of Scalebound with only one sale opportunity

gamz

He's wrong because SP games are important for the diversity of the portfolio and if done correctly can sell north of 2million and provide a good return on investment.

He's right in the fact that it is a One time sale with little room for more monetization. MS would rather sell 1mil copies of Crackdown 3 with micro transactions and ways to service the title in the future with more revenue gain opportunities than 2 million copies of Scalebound with only one sale opportunity

And why not have both. I mean he's privey to the analytics and what makes the most money and what not.

And why not have both. I mean he's privey to the analytics and what makes the most money and what not.
They most certainly should.

To me it seems like they have a budget, and they choose to spend a majority of it on GaaS.

We can all disagree or agree with it, but we can at least see why they are focusing on games with longer tails since their metric of performance is MAUs now. They want to keep and grow MAUs with GaaS titles that are more privy to helping that metric

To me it seems like they have a budget, and they choose to spend a majority of it on GaaS.

We can all disagree or agree with it, but we can at least see why they are focusing on games with longer tails since their metric of performance is MAUs now. They want to keep and grow MAUs with GaaS titles that are more privy to helping that metric

Yep, think less Sony and more Valve.

Agreed, it makes sense for MS to go after that, all things considered. I just think they could put more effort into that SP side.

Plant your flag at E3 this year Phil, show us what you got.

Imagine if the only new revealed games are Forza 7 and Halo 6, lol.
On one hand, Phil is saying they are upping their first party efforts but on the other, they don't want to announce stuff too early.

So, they may focus on the titles you mentioned over games farther out and wait for next E3 to display what they've been working on. I guess it just really depends on what would be considered "too far out". Anything not launching now to the end of next year?

This is a bizarre quote. Horizon, Uncharted 4 and Zelda:BotW will all probably end up in the 8-10 million sales bracket. Sure, it's not as much as Overwatch, Destiny or The Division, but on the contrary I'd say if there are more and more GaaS games there will also be more hunger for high quality story-driven SP games.

I mean, it doesn't need to be one or the other. A good line-up focuses on diversity of genres as well as a differing business strategies.

wapplew

They don't have the same impact they used to be?
Can't speak for Horizon but we just witness Switch become fastest selling Nintendo console ever, how much more impact a game can be?
Which beg the question, MS publishing want to fund game that make money or want to fund game that move console?

rrc1594

Agreed, it makes sense for MS to go after that, all things considered. I just think they could put more effort into that SP side.

On one hand, Phil is saying they are upping their first party efforts but on the other, they don't want to announce stuff too early.

So, they may focus on the titles you mentioned over games farther out and wait for next E3 to display what they've been working on. I guess it just really depends on what would be considered "too far out". Anything not launching now to the end of next year?

I'm fine with that approach, but shit you can't do E3 and that's it. You need to do at least another event.

sam12

Yeah they put minimal effort in single player games. Their end products on most part lack a lot of quality and then they wonder why the single player game failed. If they come out with a top notch single player game it would make a difference.

sam12

Spencer truly does not get it when he makes comments about Zelda and Horizon, both system sellers, especially Zelda with the 1:1attach ratio

Can't check out the full interview right now, but he's right that even the best selling single player experiences pale before the kind of dough a service or procedural game can rake in. First parties still need them though; smaller pubs can get away with being invisible, but MS needs to be concerned with mindshare, which those kind of festivals definitely contribute to.

m23

That would be depressing. But if Phil is making statement like that then maybe they do have something to show from their new studios?

It might be too early to talk about stuff from new studios. I think the game that's farthest out we will see is Halo 6. Focus will be this year with maybe one or two announces for next year aside from Halo.

Upping investments doesn't mean anything is coming soon.

This is a bizarre quote. Horizon, Uncharted 4 and Zelda:BotW will all probably end up in the 8-10 million sales bracket. Sure, it's not as much as Overwatch, Destiny or The Division, but on the contrary I'd say if there are more and more GaaS games there will also be more hunger for high quality story-driven SP games.

I mean, it doesn't need to be one or the other. A good line-up focuses on diversity of genres as well as a differing business strategies.
I tried to illustrate in m response that I fully agree and they are more tilted to GaaS side and need more traditional model titles. Sorry if I didn't convey that enough, I agree with you

I was just saying I understand in a way why they are skewed

I'm fine with that approach, but shit you can't do E3 and that's it. You need to do at least another event.
Yeah, there will be uproar (just online fussing, nothing serious) if they go that route this year. I think they should show at least 1 major title that is a ways off. It'll be fine if the bulk of their conference is stuff coming much more soon.

He's saying there's way more Mankind Divideds out there than Horizons. After a couple days those games are out of sight and out of mind as people go back to the multiplayer mainstays they play year round until the next single-player thing shows up. When the staying power is that low for the vast majority of single player games and the negatives for being unsuccessful are so harsh its hard for studios and publishers to justify investing in them.

Spencer truly does not get it when he makes comments about Zelda and Horizon, both system sellers, especially Zelda with the 1:1attach ratio

I suppose maybe he's trying to downplay their significance because MS has nothing like that on their slate? I can't think of any other reason why. It's even more troubling if that's what he truly believes.

It might be too early to talk about stuff from new studios. I think the game that's farthest out we will see is Halo 6. Focus will be this year with maybe one or two announces for next year aside from Halo.

Upping investments doesn't mean anything is coming soon.

What new studios do they have?

Looks like multiplayer Elder Scrolls

You mean like The Elder Scrolls Online?! ;)

Yeah, there will be uproar (just online fussing, nothing serious) if they go that route this year. I think they should show at least 1 major title that is a ways off. It'll be fine if the bulk of their conference is stuff coming much more soon.

If it's a good hype tool, then why not. It's served Sony very well in the last couple of years. Not a strategy I'm personally fond of, but it's clearly a pretty good way of getting the audience excited for games even if they're a few years off.

He's saying there's way more Mankind Divideds out there than Horizons. After a couple days those games are out of sight and out of mind as people go back to the multiplayer mainstays they play year round until the next single-player thing shows up. When the staying power is that low for the vast majority of single player games and the negatives for being unsuccessful are so harsh its hard for studios and publishers to justify investing in them.

Sure, but by the same token there's many more games like Kill Strain or Warface or APB than there are League of Legends or R6: Siege or Counter-Strike, and so on.

Their output isn't big enough to do more than one event. Sony spread themselves over 2-3 press conference events per year, and still manage to outshine Xbox every year at E3, for which Xbox saves up all of its ammunition.

Before they closed such a big percentage of their studios, it might have been possible, but not now

But I think that is why those SP games can benefit from internal development. Horizon and Zelda took years to be developed and released and they greatly benefited from it.

MS can do the same and build a major title. Yes, the process is difficult and expensive but that is game development in general. Throw in a few smaller SP titles that are constructed wisely (in terms of budget and expectation) and you've got a decent amount of different games to go alongside the main focus of GaaS.

Top Bottom