• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWILT

Banned
Wow, this...looks pretty awesome!
I would have preferred Twilight Princess HD, but eh.
Now I'm tempted to get a Wii U...

iavi

The funny thing is, if they had just re-rendered the GameCube version in 720/1080p, most of the pages would have been "lol I can just do this in Dolphin"

That's exactly what I would have said. Its why I'm immensely glad they're actually giving me a reason to buy this version.

Revven

Call me a pessimist, but I fully expect for this to be $59.99 retail with no major additions.

What about minor additions, such as:

1) Boss Rush mode
2) New save file also amps up difficulty (besides just an alt. costume), making Link take double damage just like Skyward Sword/Master Quest 3D
3) Tingle Tuner adjusted for GamePad use
4) Unifying triforce fetch quest (no longer different between regions)
5) Skip cutscenes/hold B to go through dialogue faster

Are those reasonable to expect? I think so. Might not justify $60 but hey.

I suppose adjusting the triforce fetch quest itself is "major" but it depends on what they'd do.

leroidys

While I apreciate that it isn't a straight port, the graphics don't have half the charm the original does and doesn't even look that good. It feels like they're missing the point.

I agree... the original in dolphin looks better to me. I'm excited all the same, but hopefully they add some significant content as well.

Tattooth

Really not sure about the new look, it looks like someone put bad ENB on and Unreal Engine game. This doesn't mean I won't play it, but it would be nice if they implement the original game remastered like in Halo:CE Anniversary.

I think it looks awesome. I don't understand the hate. OOT64 3D got similar graphic complaints upon initial screenshot release.

Can't wait! Makes me want to buy a WiiU

GCX

I for one love that the game looks so different. Makes the replay so much more fun when you get to discover how locations have changed visually.

Seda

What about minor additions, such as:

1) Boss Rush mode
2) New save file also amps up difficulty, making Link take double damage just like Skyward Sword/Master Quest 3D
3) Tingle Tuner adjusted for GamePad use
4) Unifying triforce fetch quest (no longer different between regions)

Are those reasonable to expect? I think so. Might not justify $60 but hey.

I suppose adjusting the triforce fetch quest itself is "major" but it depends on what they'd do.

I think so. And I never knew the Triforce stuff had regional differences.

I just don't expect a complete revamp of the Tri-force stuff or additional dungeons.

Should Remake be added to the title of this thread? I feel like the current one may be creating expectations that this remake isnt set to deliver. It sounds like they are changing alot.

Wind Waker HD gives the impression that this is like the Sony classics, just straight up res'ed.

Appleman

GUYS. We've seen shots of one island, lets hold our judgement and see how their fully realized remake looks in motion with other environments, particle effects, etc.

GAF is crazy about jumping the gun on everything.

Screens look great, I'm halfway through a GC playthrough right now

Seance

Banned
People consider this to be a killer app for the WiiU? My laptop with integrated graphics could run this through Dolphin at a higher res.

Shoot, unexpected. Honestly, loved the game but not one of my favorites in the series.

These HD remakes is a nice little insurance for Nintendo. If they need to print extra money, HD remakes!

Like to see Majora's Mask 3D and Twilight Princess Wii U HD. Anything to get rid of those muddy graphics.

I want them to completely remove tingle from this game, along with the fetch quest. I stopped playing the original In the middle of the tri-force fetch quest. I couldn't stand it. And I couldn't understand why anyone would think that this was a good part to add to the game.

Tookay

I think the problem with the graphical update (which I don't have a problem with personally, since I can still play WW on Dolphin) is that the changes clash with the style.

This amount of bloom and changing in shading could have been better dealt with in a TP remake.

Revven

People consider this to be a killer app for the WiiU? My laptop with integrated graphics could run this through Dolphin at a higher res.

Dolphin at a higher res is different from Nintendo deciding to actually tweak the lighting, shadows, character models, and adding a new coat of paint.

But hey, you would've complained if they did the bare minimum (essentially doing what Dolphin does), right? :p

Shoot, unexpected. Honestly, loved the game but not one of my favorites in the series.

These HD remakes is a nice little insurance for Nintendo. If they need to print extra money, HD remakes!

Like to see Majora's Mask 3D and Twilight Princess Wii U HD. Anything to get rid of those muddy graphics.
Exactly right. And they have so many good games that they can go back to and bring back in HD.

And you know, this isn't the first time that they've done this. Everyone remembers super Mario All-Stars from the super Nintendo days right?

What I like about Nintendo is that when they go back and remake a game, they put in effort to enhance or add more to it.

I think the problem with the graphical update (which I don't have a problem with personally, since I can still play WW on Dolphin) is that the changes clash with the style.

This amount of bloom and changing in shading could have been better dealt with in a TP remake.

the only thing this ReMake would benefit from is higher shadow resolution, polycount and SSAO, thats it.

Revven

Orchestrated soundtrack would be pretty nice addition.

I could expect this, too. Midi soundtrack would seriously clash with the new graphical update, imo.

But then... I think back to OoT3D and start to feel like the same effort will be put into this release.

Mit-

I doubt we get new dungeons. Just gameplay tweaks and I bet stuff like faster ocean travel and a shorter Triforce fetch quest.

"They have plenty of time"

No they don't. This is supposed to be out in Fall. That gives them until, what, November? And it looks this shitty now? If it ships in November it essentially needs to be done by October. That's about 8 months of development they have from now.

Right now the game:

- ups the resolution on textures by running them through a filter
- has tons of shitty lighting decisions (ie: all of their lighting decisions)
- is seemingly attempting to at least somewhat update the geometry of the world
- has new character models for everyone (and the ones we've seen might just be some old models dug up from early Wind Waker development).

So they still need to:

- remake textures the right way
- make the lighting not shit (should be easy but this might be the direction they want to go)
- update the rest of the geometry for the entire game
- update all of the character models
- new Wii U features

8 months is not much time, especially if they have a smaller development team due to the rest working on a new Zelda game.

This is why I don't think we're getting any substantial new content like dungeons.

to people whining about the new graphics, remember what the goal of Wind Waker's graphics was. they were going for a Miyazaki look. I'd say the new graphics are closer to that look. What say you?

The Halo remake wasn't full price, and it even came with the newest multiplayer form of Halo and you could play both the remake and the original game on it.

Why WOULD this be full price?
Because Nintendo is not ms

All of the dragon quest remakes for ds were full price
Ditto final fantasy
Metal gear solid twin snakes on GC
Tales of the abyss 3ds
OoT 3d
Star fox 64 3d
Super Mario 64 ds

Etc

It would be silly to expect this one to be cheaper given the history of remakes on Nintendo platforms. The price may be too high in some people's opinion, but that doesn't mean it should be expected to be cheaper.

The Halo remake wasn't full price, and it even came with the newest multiplayer form of Halo and you could play both the remake and the original game on it.

Why WOULD this be full price?
The Halo remake was $40, so you're right, it was $10 cheaper. I could see this Zelda game going for $40.

Though I wouldn't necessarily put the two games in the same boat - the Halo remake was basically, take the engine already made for Halo 4, throw in the Halo level packs, and touch up some of the graphics. For Wind Waker, they would have had to have created a new engine specifically for this game, and it looks like they created all new graphics for it rather than just touching up existing art, and of course the gameplay changes are probably going to be rather major (since Miyamoto has always complained that they had to really compromise his vision for the game with the rushed time schedule, specifically calling out the Triforce quest at the end). So the development cost for the Wind Waker remake will be much higher than it would have been for Halo HD.

NimbusD

After the initial hype is dying down I'm remembering all of the crappy parts of the game that I didn't like. The Tri-quest, the desolate islands, the sailing, the obviously missing parts...

Depending on how fixed these things are I will get it. Hell knowing me if they at least master Quest the dungeons, I'll get it. I'd like to see the inclusion of SS swordplay as well. Hopefully they fix up the graphics better, WW is beautiful and one of the reasons I look at it through rose tinted glasses. All it needs is better resolution and a few higher res textures and it's golden.

bridegur

The reason Wind Waker looked so great was because it was bright and clean. This just looks muddy. Such a disappointment considering it would've been easier and far better looking to do an HD port.

Revven

I doubt we get new dungeons. Just gameplay tweaks and I bet stuff like faster ocean travel and a shorter Triforce fetch quest.

No they don't. This is supposed to be out in Fall. That gives them until, what, November? And it looks this shitty now? If it ships in November it essentially needs to be done by October. That's about 8 months of development they have from now.

Right now the game:

- has new character models for everyone (and the ones we've seen might just be some old models dug up from early Wind Waker development).

So they still need to:

- make the lighting not shit (should be easy but this might be the direction they want to go)
- new Wii U features

8 months is not much time, especially if they have a smaller development team due to the rest working on a new Zelda game.

This is why I don't think we're getting any substantial new content like dungeons.

We'll see. I just don't think it's truly fair to already start bashing the graphics when maybe these were screens when they were testing crap out. I mean, the pot girl character isn't even supposed to be on Windfall Island, she's on Outset. Maybe that's not good enough evidence but w.e, wait and see.

As of right now i prefer the original look but I'm going to have to wait to see it in motion before making any real judgments. Nintendo games have a habit of looking much better in motion.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I bet Player 2 can use the Wii-U Gamepad as an advanced Tingle Tuner.

I'd also like to see either the Nayru Pearl get a Dungeon, or Dungeons for the Ice/Fire Islands.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The reason Wind Waker looked so great was because it was bright and clean. This just looks muddy. Such a disappointment considering it would've been easier and far better looking to do an HD port.

Yup. Liked the original's art style WAY more, this just looks bad to me. Textures don't help.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
to people whining about the new graphics, remember what the goal of Wind Waker's graphics was. they were going for a Miyazaki look. I'd say the new graphics are closer to that look. What say you?

It doesn't remind me of anything Miyazaki at all. A lot of the vitality seems to have been sapped out of it. I agree with most here about the lighting. It's a little too bright. I would need to see more of the nighttime stuff before judging whether this look is better or not.

I actually dig the new look, however I wish the character models still had more popping color and cel shading look.. Also, it would be nice if things were a little sharper when closer to the camera.

Mit-

It looks more this:
episode%2012%20-%20large4.jpg

than this:

DaBoss

Yup. Liked the original's art style WAY more, this just looks bad to me. Textures don't help.

What? It looks clean, it's just too much bloom that is affecting the look of the game.

muddy? not bright and clean?

irbdIzFZIJj6E.jpg

I mean, if you'd said it look cooler (in tone) and not as warm, I'd maybe get what you meant, but I really don't. That looks beautiful to me. I mean, sure taste is subjective, but I don't see how this is muddy, of all things.

Gamecube Wind Waker, especially in Dolphin really did look like an animated cartoon. That was what was so special about Wind Waker in the first place. The new one, however, looks too CGI in comparison. The colors are muted, and Link just doesn't look right at all. He looks like a painted action figure instead of proper cel shading that makes it look like a cartoon.

But, eh. It could still turn out well and look really pretty. I'm just not seeing it right now. As of right now I greatly prefer the look of Dolphin Wind Waker to this.

Right now the game:

So they still need to:

- new Wii U features

So basically, you are saying that since you personally don't like what they've shown, though other people have no problem with it, that obviously means that Nintendo wasn't *really* showing the game off, because they've only barely started work on it and everything is placeholder. Though Nintendo has made it a big deal that they don't want to show things before they are ready, and have been extremely secretive because of that.

Huh.

angelfly

One of the few games I ever wanted to see Nintendo remake. When I do eventually get a WiiU this will definitely be one of the games I pick up.

I take my comment back, this is not one of the best HD releases. There is too much bloom and the textures are pretty bad. It almost makes the art style less cartoony. I have faiht though these issues will be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom