• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana Has the Best Collection of Music and Songs for a Disney Movie in a long time.

Once again that's how songs in musicals are supposed to be structured. Songs that didn't are actually a failure of utilizing the medium of musicals to it's fullest unless they're jukebox musicals like Trolls.

I disagree. Classic musicals like the Sound of Music and the Wizard of Oz handled music way better than Moana. Maybe I'm just out of touch with modern musicals, and if this is how all modern musicals are handled, then I guess I'm ok with being out of touch.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Also on a random note, for the 10 seconds this thing is on screen its fucking terrifying.

tumblr_ohpdf94CsQ1s95n1oo1_400.png

dmshaposv

You're Welcome is amazing because it sounds like The Rock isn't actually singing, just talking and getting by on charisma. And he actually does succeed at getting through a song with just charisma, which is amazing.

This is what I like I love about the song.

Maui's personality is essentially based on the Rock. A likeable macho who oozes charisma but can be a goofball too. He isn't singing so much as mansplaining moana in that song which makes it funny to me as well.

Shiny also works for me because lyrically its less like a song and more a way to propel the narrative through a musical number.

I disagree. Classic musicals like the Sound of Music and the Wizard of Oz handled music way better than Moana. Maybe I'm just out of touch with modern musicals, and if this is how all modern musicals are handled, then I guess I'm ok with being out of touch.

It's been that way for awhile now, it's what helped evolve Musicals as an art form.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

well it depends on the musical for sure and Sound of Music has narrative driven songs but then also songs that exist in the world that the characters sings.

Songs sang to drive narrative:
Problem Like Maria
I Have Confidence
Sixteen Going on Seventeen
Something Good
Climb Every Mountain

Songs sang by the characters
Sound of Music
My Favorite Things
Do-Re-Mi
The Lonely Goatherd
So Long, Farewell
Edelweiss

but if you look at a lot of the big broadway musicals right now, they all drive narrative with their songs (Wicked, Book of Mormon, Hamilton, etc)

I still think the GOAT musical soundtrack from Disney is by far The Little Mermaid's.

Hearing the strings of Part of Your World alone is goosebump inducing. WEW.

I still think the GOAT musical soundtrack from Disney is by far The Little Mermaid's.

Hearing the strings of Part of Your World alone is goosebump inducing. WEW.

Really all of the Renaissance Disney Musicals have memorable soundtracks but the correct answer will always be Lion King, Lion King, Lion King. Even the Lion King 2 Soundtrack was awesome.

I have a soft sport for the Muses songs on the Hercules soundtrack as well as Meg's "I Won't Say I'm in Love".

Makonero

Really all of the Renaissance Disney Musicals have memorable soundtracks but the correct answer will always be Lion King, Lion King, Lion King. Even the Lion King 2 Soundtrack was awesome.

I have a soft sport for the Muses songs on the Hercules soundtrack as well as Meg's "I Won't Say I'm in Love".

Mulan. Reflections, Honor to Us All, I'll Make a Man Out of You, A Girl Worth Fighting For, True to Your Heart...

All utter perfection.

Makonero

I'll Make a Man Out of You is among the GOAT songs.

Dat Montage.

I love how subversive it is. I've heard some complain that it's too man-centric for a movie about a woman...but that's the point. Mulan is the one to do all the "manly" things, subverting the whole purpose of the song!

But it's also a kickass tune to sing with your friends while hiking.

It's honestly the only Disney film that felt like a clean sweep for me musically speaking, don't get me wrong there's tons of classics out there and better tracks from others on their own but I found Moana more consistent on the whole.

Maybe that's just me digging the general style and tone.

In Lin We Trust

I really enjoyed all the songs in this movie.

I'm still surprised the Rock has decent singing chops.

I've always known

You're Welcome and the opening song is the only song that I really liked. Everything else was bland (How Far I'll Go) or just bad (Shiny).

Call me crazy but Princess and the Frog had a great selection of songs for recent Disney movies. Almost There and When We're Human... so good.

The bug song and character was trash though.

kunonabi

Which half are some of you calling mediocre at best?

I think they all are aside from Shiny which I thought was flat out bad. You're Welcome could have been great with a better performer but it's just OK in its current form. Still the most fun I've had with a Disney movie in years which surprised me after how annoying I found the marketing.

I love how subversive it is. I've heard some complain that it's too man-centric for a movie about a woman...but that's the point. Mulan is the one to do all the "manly" things, subverting the whole purpose of the song!

But it's also a kickass tune to sing with your friends while hiking.

Plus it accomplishes so much within the montage culminating in Mulan earning her place within the army as a "man" and a worthy member despite her actually being a woman.

You're Welcome and the opening song is the only song that I really liked. Everything else was bland (How Far I'll Go) or just bad (Shiny).

Call me crazy but Princess and the Frog had a great selection of songs for recent Disney movies. Almost There and When We're Human... so good.

The bug song and character was trash though.

How could you forget the memorable "Friends from the Other Side".

The bug was Love.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I think "How Far I'll Go" is gorgeous.

"You're Welcome" I think kinda coasts on novelty to a degree.

Not huge on "Shiny" but I liked that sequence in the film okay.

The rest is fine.

I agree with the OP just the same though. I still wanna give Linn Manuel Miranda a wedgie though.

Speaking as someone who watched that film for the first time like, last week, I wasn't a big fan of the music at all.

You're Welcome was great. Outside of that, the rest of the numbers were pretty mediocre and forgettable.

Same. I don't get hype for this movie.

maxcriden

Is Lion King 2 good? Like, the movie in general?

The Maori dub is going to be so fucking good.

And everybody knows You're Welcome is best song.

Tho I just bust out singing How far I'll go sometimes.

CTRL-F 'Hamilton', and only a reference to 'other' musicals. The fact that the music is amazing in this film should not be a surprise if you've listened to Lin Manuel Miranda's other work.

"I am Moana" is epic in its own right. Shiny is the worst song I've ever heard. So awkward.

You're the worst song I've ever heard.

Friends from the Other Side is probably the best in the movie, you're right, haha.

It's definitely the best song in the movie, but I dunno, it feels unfocused to me. The constant tempo changes don't work in its favor. You gotta a cool laid-back, intro, then a more uptempo section that seems like it'll dominate most of the rest of the song, but then you got another slow section that lasts way too long and kills the pacing, and then it's saved by an amazing finale.

Tangled > Moana > Frozen

Tangled has great lyrics and composition, but I'm not the biggest fan of Mandy Moore's singing voice
Moana's instrumentation is good and Auli'i has a great singing voice, but most of the lyrics are convoluted
Frozen is ok, if not annoying, but it's generic and noting really stands out. The cinematic soundtrack itself is actually much better - probably moreso than the other two.

Honestly, aside from "I See the Light" from Tangled, modern Disney hasn't even come close to its best 90s era songs.

Makonero

Plus it accomplishes so much within the montage culminating in Mulan earning her place within the army as a "man" and a worthy member despite her actually being a woman.
And she succeeds not through sheer force, but intelligence, using the weights that were a burden as a way to climb the pole. All sorts of good stuff in that sequence.

Shiny is so out of place I think it takes away from the rest of the soundtrack. I prefer the young female vocalist in Moana to the one who played Elsa in Frozen though. I feel like her voice was much better cast and more age appropriate. A 21 year old character voiced by a 40 year old in Frozen seemed jarring.

coopolon

I've listened to the soundtrack many many times (kid loves it) and could not tell you a single song fter shiny except the we know the way refrain.

First half is amazing. The second half is so forgettable.

I know there are songs, the grandma shows up again?

jph139

Watched it for the first time recently and really was surprised by how consistent in quality the music was. It feels very "musical" to me, in that the songs felt like part of the narrative package rather than quick diversions - not to the extent of Pocahontas, which I think is the Disney move that best wove together "dialogue" and "song," but close behind. I'll echo that Shiny was a bit out of place, though. In a vacuum it was alright, but not within the movie itself.

I think "We Know the Way" was probably the best, though. So dynamic and powerful. Helps that it had the coolest in the movie.

All told I think it's definitely the best soundtrack since Princess and the Frog.

Top Bottom