• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V Launching Spring 2013 On Xbox 360/PS3 [Officially Confirmed By Rockstar]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

No mention of a wii-u version is kinda of worrying. I think Rockstar had to know about wii-u for a while so not having the game launch on all 3 consoles at the saw time is weird.

Nintendo has not allowed any 3rd party games outside of the launch window to be announced, heck its still launch window games unnannounced, and only two 1st party games outside of launch window is announced and thats Bayo 2 and Smash Bros 4.

So we still dont know until we get a flat out no, and then still it may come, see Epic Mickey 2.

Hopefully this doesn't suck like GTA 4 did.

shitty check point system
terrible protagonist
horrible driving mechanics

please fix these things R*!!

antitrop

No PC at release is extremely disappointing. After Max Payne 3 launching on all platforms simultaneously I had hopes, at least.

Anyway, I actually rather enjoyed GTA IV, despite its problems. Consider me excited for the inevitable PC port of this, Day 1 easy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo has not allowed any 3rd party games outside of the launch window to be announced, heck its still launch window games unnannounced, and only two 1st party games outside of launch window is announced and thats Bayo 2 and Smash Bros 4.

So we still dont know until we get a flat out no, and then still it may come, see Epic Mickey 2.

Well, Injustice: Gods Among Us was announced and that's April.

Project CARS also isn't scheduled until mid 2013.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Cell phone was an awesome concept.

I hope it's back but less obtrusive.

Saints Row actually integrated it pretty well I thought. You could use it to call in Homies to help out, as well as get side missions such as assassinations. Something along those lines would be good.

jmizzal

I'm not really expecting a Wii U version, but if there is one in the works I dont see it being revealed like this.

Nintendo has been stupidly secret about their post-launch window lineup.

exactly lol, how many times have we seen and printed leak for something big coming to Nintendo, only thing we have is lindkin profiles and retailer leaks and we do have a GTA V WiiU retailer leak.

Also people wanting the Saints Row crazy aspect, fuck that. Go play San Andreas if you want San Andreas. The mature theme of IV was fantastic.

If GTA V is as over-the-top as Saints Row, I'll be disappointed. There was no stimulation at all in that game. It was so crazy that running over pedestrians completely lost its impact. No humanity, no emotion.

antitrop

If GTA V is as over-the-top as Saints Row, I'll be disappointed. There was no stimulation at all in that game. It was so crazy that running over pedestrians completely lost its impact. No humanity, no emotion.
I loved Saint's Row 3 for what it was, but ya, that is not at all the direction that I want Grand Theft Auto to go towards at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I loved Saint's Row 3 for what it was, but ya, that is not at all the direction that I want Grand Theft Auto to go towards at all.

I'm not sure why people would actually want them to be the same given that we're going to get Saints Row every 2 years for the foreseeable future.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I wouldn't be surprised if SCE & MS gave a little incentive to R* to not release GTAV on Wii U.
I really doubt something like that is even possible. The only reason why the Wii U release isn't happening sooner is due to the next to nothing install base of the system, even then Rockstar doesn't like to take risks with their biggest franchise.

They'll always play it safe. I think it will end up on the Wii U after 1-2 years.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Also people wanting the Saints Row crazy aspect, fuck that. Go play San Andreas if you want San Andreas. The mature theme of IV was fantastic.

Just because I want more fun doesn't mean I want another Saints Row, it isn't a case of one or the other. Liberty City was boring as hell in GTA4, they went for a more mature game and sacrificed the fun aspect imo.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well, if GTA V is coming out in late April/May, they still get to miss it by at least a month or so.

The mid tier games all running into each other however should still be problematic.

This is pretty much what happens every year. And then the one or two publishers smart enough to have major releases in the summer get a ton of attention.

Seems like a good move.

Halo 4 and BO: II are November and GTA V probably won't be until late April.

Every game: Bioshock, Dead Space, and Tomb Raider all found nice windows inbetween the two sets of juggernauts.
Granted not uncontested but these are all very different games with a little breathing room, at least.

Well when you walk into GameStop or Best Buy you are going to see huge advertisements for GTA V which will undoubtedly be second to none in store presence once Christmas ends. I know Halo 4, Black OPs 2, AC3, and WiiU will be gathering much of the attention until their releases, but argurable none of those (outside of WiiU which is a console launch) are bigger gaming events then a new GTA console release that hasn't happened in six years.

Looking at the console scene:

- Holidays -

WiiU & launch titles
+
PSA All Stars
Halo 4
AC 3
Black OPs 2
Forza Horizon
Need for Speed
Family-friendly titles (Skylanders Giants, Epic Mickey 2, Just Dance, Kinect, etc.)

- Early 2013 -

WiiU launch Window
+
Anarchy Reigns
DmC: Devil May Cry
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Dead Space 3
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
BioShock Infinite
SimCity
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Crysis
Tomb Raider
God of War: Ascension
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel
Gears of War: Judgment
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Remember Me
Splinter Cell: Blacklist
+
Looming GTA 4 release

Considering the majority of third party titles that aren't already part of a multi million selling franchise under performing as of late, I have a feeling some publishers that delayed titles not related to development reasons are now kicking themselves for deciding against releasing in the holiday season.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Saints Row actually integrated it pretty well I thought. You could use it to call in Homies to help out, as well as get side missions such as assassinations. Something along those lines would be good.

Yeah, but it was never as immersive. It was basically just your menu. I COULD CHANGE MY RINGTONE. I know some people say that's part of what they hate about GTA 4, but that's what I love about Rockstar games. They do an attention to detail that no one else does.

jmizzal

Well, Injustice: Gods Among Us was announced and that's April.

Project CARS also isn't scheduled until mid 2013.

Project Cars is kinda a indy funded game that the dev has said they are bringing to WiiU

And your right Injustice is coming but it was announced way back before it had a release date and even that is April close to the launch window.

Ranger X

Jeez, people still putting San Andreas and Saint's Row on the same basket. Excellent way to demonstrate you actually don't understand GTA. Saint's Row series compared to San Andreas is not even in the same ballpark.

GlamFM

Banned
If I had to guess, I'd say either the next Red Dead (though it might be a bit early for that in terms of install base), or they'll move Mafia under the Rockstar Label and try launching that one early, since it sells low enough to not be too hurt by lower installed bases, and being out early gives it a lot of attention it might otherwise not get.

A new IP is also possible, but what that would be would be quite hard to guess at.

I think this is exactly what will happen. I read somewhere that R* will help 2K with Mafia 3 and built the updated RAGE engine in the process.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Read Dead would come after that if I had to guess.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well when you walk into GameStop or Best Buy you are going to see huge advertisements for GTA V which will undoubtedly be second to none in store presence once Christmas ends. I know Halo 4, Black OPs 2, AC3, and WiiU will be gathering much of the attention until their releases, but argurable none of those (outside of WiiU which is a console launch) are bigger gaming events then a new GTA console release that hasn't happened in six years.

Looking at the console scene:

- Holidays -

WiiU & launch titles
+
PSA All Stars
Halo 4
AC 3
Black OPs 2
Forza Horizon
Need for Speed
Family-friendly titles (Skylanders Giants, Epic Mickey 2, Just Dance, Kinect, etc.)

- Early 2013 -

WiiU launch Window
+
Anarchy Reigns
DmC: Devil May Cry
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Dead Space 3
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
BioShock Infinite
SimCity
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Tomb Raider
God of War: Ascension
Gears of War: Judgment
Injustice: Gods Among Us
+
Looming GTA 4 release

Considering the majority of third party titles that aren't already part of a multi million selling franchise under performing as of late, I have a feeling some publishers that delayed titles not related to development reasons are now kicking themselves for deciding against releasing in the holiday season.

I would say the ones that are most negatively effected are the ones who were delayed from Fall primarily for business reasons, because that means they actually lacked the ability to stand out in that season.

The ones that left due to development reasons are less likely to be problematic, and I would give BioShock Infinite as an example of that.

Or, another way to put it, you're still going to need a $30+ million advertising campaign in Q1 to stand out and be one of the few titles people really pick up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think this is exactly what will happen. I read somewhere that R* will help 2K with Mafia 3 and built the updated RAGE engine in the process.

I still say Bully 2
"It looks like I will be doing the soundtrack for Bully 2 in the not so distant future," the musician told the site in a recent interview. No further details have been given.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Project Cars is kinda a indy funded game that the dev has said they are bringing to WiiU

And your right Injustice is coming but it was announced way back before it had a release date and even that is April close to the launch window.
I would argue May is also close to the launch window, and it doesn't make sense to let Microsoft and Sony to have free reign over all the pre-orders and store advertising.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. May 2015 should have a pretty healthy install base even for Red Dead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Source for you second quote?

It was a really old interview back before Rockstar Toronto put the game on hold to work on Max Payne 3 exclusively.

Dan or Sam Houser did say they were interested in returning to the series, but I think it's probably too early still since Max Payne 3 just came out.

I'm expecting Take-Two to try to improve development cycles, but I don't expect them to go from 5-7 years to 2 years in one go.

Fjordson

Mafia with R* help would be interesting.

I actually enjoyed Mafia 2, despite some shortcomings. Not as much as Red Dead or GTA, but still enjoyed it a lot.

It was a really old interview back before Rockstar Toronto put the game on hold to work on Max Payne 3 exclusively.

Dan or Sam Houser did say they were interested in returning to the series, but I think it's probably too early still since Max Payne 3 just came out.

I'm expecting Take-Two to try to improve development cycles, but I don't expect them to go from 7 years to 2 years in one go.
Wasn't there also a quote from Shawn Lee (composer from the first Bully) saying that he had done some work on music for Bully 2? Or at least that R* was planning on doing it eventually.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

I would have taken Bully 2 over Max Payne 3. I need Bully 2 goddammit.

GlamFM

Banned

I'm expecting Take-Two to try to improve development cycles, but I don't expect them to go from 5-7 years to 2 years in one go.

Thank you.

T2 =/= R*

You don´t say?

jmizzal

I would argue May is also close to the launch window, and it doesn't make sense to let Microsoft and Sony to have free reign over all the pre-orders and store advertising.

Your right but we are talking about Nintendo lol

I say at the worst it will come latter in the year with the DLC along with the PC version, WiiU is gonna have a nice install base, which will be buying core games, they will be crazy to miss out on that with a huge seller like GTA.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I would say the ones that are most negatively effected are the ones who were delayed from Fall primarily for business reasons, because that means they actually lacked the ability to stand out in that season.

The ones that left due to development reasons are less likely to be problematic, and I would give BioShock Infinite as an example of that.

Or, another way to put it, you're still going to need a $30+ million advertising campaign in Q1 to stand out and be one of the few titles people really pick up.

Agreed.

I admittedly haven't been keeping a close eye on the development schedule of titles like Aliens and Tomb Raider, but it seemed like they were delayed for business reasons, which could be a sizeable mistake now (IMO).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Agreed.

I admittedly haven't been keeping a close eye on the development schedule of titles like Aliens and Tomb Raider, but it seemed like they were delayed for business reasons, which could be a sizeable mistake now (IMO).

Aliens I definitely agree on.

Tomb Raider might have partially been, though I think Square Enix is actually willing to invest in $30+ million in marketing in March for it, which is still a solid window historically for million plus sellers in the U.S. alone.

March is still tricky though due to the number of high profile titles.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually fairly worried about the PC version after they didn't bother with it in GTA Old West edition.

Yes I know about MP 3, a game with nowhere near the cache of RDR or the might GTA.

GlamFM

Banned
Funny you mention that, I wonder if GTAV will get DLC since its late in the cycle. I am guessing they will, easy cash opportunity.

Keep in mind that the GTA IV DLC was probably the best DLC this gen in terms of content and production value.

If they repeat that ( they wont ) I would be really happy.

StuBurns

Banned
Keep in mind that the GTA IV DLC was probably the best DLC this gen in terms of content and production value.

If they repeat that ( they wont ) I would be really happy.
Why are you doubtful they'll deliver quality?

I think there's a very strong change DLC is coming.

GlamFM

Banned
Right.

R* is incredibly unlikely to help on a non-R* game is my point.

Last time they did table tennis to learn and built an engine. Working on Mafia 3 sounds like a lot more fun.

I agree with you on that front, and my proposal is they're going to take over the studio and rebrand it to Rockstar Czech.

Yes.

Why are you doubtful they'll deliver quality?

I think there's a very strong change DLC is coming.

I think that this gen has proven that people pay the same for less in terms of DLC. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom