• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Apath

Why not, I'll post my Vita as it is simply because I'm EXTREMELY happy with how comfortable it's been since I got my Nyko Power Grip. I like that my hands are further apart compared to the dual shock and if they were to make the PS4 controller feel like this but with larger sticks/buttons and triggers and all, I'd be overjoyed

Vita.jpg
The power grip is amazing -- both to hold and the battery life it adds. They're very reminiscent of the Gamecube grips. The only issue with it is that it's not really ideal for reaching the triggers. If the new controller is designed with those grips in mind, it will be fantastic.

vivftp

LOL. And people thought the DUKE was big. It looks usable and comfortable as can be, but Sony won't be providing a TRANSFORMER with their next console.

The DS4 has got to have
1) better triggers
2) more space between the analog sticks
3) concave tips to the sticks
4) longer handles

If they can pull off those 4 things I wouldn't even care if the thing looked identical to the DS3 but 20% larger.

lol, it's actually very comfortable for me. My hands are a bit bigger so holding the Vita as-is gives me cramps during extended use. This grip allows me to hold it more naturally, so much that it's actually kind of awkward to hold the dual shock now. I'm not suggesting they use the exact same design for the PS4 controller, I've already noted that things would need to be changed. I am saying that I personally find this more comfortable to hold and with a few modifications, I'd be perfectly content with having this as a PS4 controller.

Servbot24

Banned
So I must be the only one who likes the convex sticks. :p Don't really see why concave is any better.

Would definitely prefer better shaped triggers though, too easy to slide down the current ones if you're holding them a long time.

I think if the triggers had retracted like the GameCube ones instead of tilting it wouldn't have been so bad. A shape change is for the best though.

So I must be the only one who likes the convex sticks. :p Don't really see why concave is any better.

Would definitely prefer better shaped triggers though, too easy to slide down the current ones if you're holding them a long time.
Same reason women like their bras concave. Its ergonomic for nurturing convex features

Duxxy3

The very first dual analogue controllers Sony debuted for ps1 had concave sticks... they were bad.. I don't think concave works for symmetrical sticks the way they are positioned.

Try out the mad catz MLG controller with that configuration.

It's not NEARLY as comfortable as you would imagine. Convex sticks are better when symmetrical.

Precise direction input. Especially useful when you need to input rapidly.
Easy answer is the Fighting genre. But the need is in other genres as well. The time it takes to tilt and release an analog stick is often too long, and will never be as good as a digital d-pad.
Role playing games are a big reason for me to keep the d-pad. Perhaps mainly for menu screens, when going through long item lists, d-pad means more precision in quickly getting to and stopping on what you want to select.
Movement in any 2D game is much better with a d-pad than an analog stick.

And this may sound odd, but I still prefer to play driving games like Gran Turismo 5, with the d-pad. Just feels like I have more precise control over my steering than I do when attempting to use an analog stick.

It sounds like you just want an Xbox 360 controller to be compatible with the Playstation. That is basically what you described.
As for third party, that would possibly save you money. So it'd be a win anyway, right?

--- --- ---

I don't intend to be rude to anyone, we all have opinions and preferences as to what feels right in our hands, we are all different. But something I see that keeps popping up is a desire for one company to make their stuff just like the other company because it is better etc.

What I want to say is, perhaps some of us are simply Xbox players, some Nintendo, and others are Playstation. Play the system with the hardware that is more suited for you, and accept that other people like the other console's controller the way it is.
Yes, there is always room for improvement, no controller is perfect. Not saying that. Just that, we still need variety in our gaming choices.
Not one single box of stagnation. :)

Touch Pad.

Uniqueness alone does not a good idea make. My hands aren't the biggest, and the dual shock is still too small for me. It's always been in need of either longer handles, or to just get rid of them and a size expansion to accommodate all the buttons and sticks. The handles are too short to be held comfortably, and they're too intrusive for the rest of the controller to be held like an old school one (i. e. SNES).

Only thing I really want changed from the Dualshock3 is concave thumbpads on the analog sticks and concave triggers.

maybe a new material/texture for the thumbpads, current ones feel great when its new but starts to feel weird after about 2 months.

and this is what i actually use nowadays on the PS3:
A4ddlD6CEAEcWKa.jpg

Swapped an Xbox stick for the right stick, Keyboard(mainly for added balance) RealTriggers and the XtendPlay grip. Perfection!

Lemonte

and this is what i actually use nowadays on the PS3:
A4ddlD6CEAEcWKa.jpg

Swapped an Xbox stick for the right stick, Keyboard(mainly for added balance) RealTriggers and the XtendPlay grip. Perfection!

was it easy to replace analog stick with xbox one? Do you know if it's possible to do it other way around, ps3 analog stick to xbox controller?

My incredibly crude photochop to illustrate an arrangement I think is likely:

I don't show it here because I lack the skillz, but the hand holds would be a bit longer, and more ergonomic as well to account for the modified location for the analog sticks. Overall it would be wider than a dual shock with the sticks moved down and out of the way of the central touch pad. The share and PS buttons would be distinct. Start and Select "soft" buttons probably sign-posted on the touch surface. Curved triggers like 360 on the back. Not shown, but I suspect the "dual cameras" are actually on the controller as well, Vita style with front and back facing for video chat and augmented reality stuff.

XtendPlay-300x220.jpg

the Xtendplay is pretty great for racing and FPS games when you can hold it against your lap. Thumbs get more accurate when you dont have to "hold" the controller. Also recommended for Original Duke -fans.

That almost makes it look like the touchpad would be comfortable below the sticks, with a bit of rearranging.

Ainaurdur

Uniqueness alone does not a good idea make. My hands aren't the biggest, and the dual shock is still too small for me. It's always been in need of either longer handles, or to just get rid of them and a size expansion to accommodate all the buttons and sticks. The handles are too short to be held comfortably, and they're too intrusive for the rest of the controller to be held like an old school one (i. e. SNES).

You are correct, simply being unique is not enough, it needs to also be good. Uniqueness for it's own sake, is different from having products with differing features that many people prefer and love.

I agree that the handles could be extended and the whole Dualshock made a little bit larger.
Though after 3 consoles with a similar controller form, my hands are comfortable holding what is familiar.

I prefer my analog sticks to be symmetrical and convex. I do not think concave would be comfortable for me in the symmetrical position. I do not mind using a left analog that happens to be in the asymmetrical spot, whether concave or not, I just do not personally prefer it.
Likewise as for the d-pad position, I can use it in an asymmetrical configuration, but the angle my thumb hits it feels off to me, and I do not feel as quick and precise in using it as I am when it is in the symmetrical location on the left side of the controller. (Where some people have referred to as being the primary position on the controller.)
One extra note on this is that I have noticed whether playing with a controller that is symmetrical or asymmetrical, that my ability to precisely control the inner left (symmetrical) input is ever so slightly impaired. Overall performance wise, I'd rather take that hit on an analog than a d-pad.

As bizarre as the Nintendo 64 controller was when it was first revealed, it eventually made sense when you started playing games with it. It allowed you to never have to compromise about the natural primary positioning of your thumb. If you needed to use the d-pad, you held the left grip. Analog, the center grip.

deadlast

So I have been thinking about the controller redesign and I have come to the conclusion that we will a touchpad on both sides of the controller. I think this is so we can get more cross-play vita/ps4 games. What do you guys think?

Sorry I don't have an fancy photoshops.

So I have been thinking about the controller redesign and I have come to the conclusion that we will a touchpad on both sides of the controller. I think this is so we can get more cross-play vita/ps4 games. What do you guys think?

It's very well possible. Touch digitizers are dirt cheap.

Just considering the possibility that 'in place of Start Select and PS' could be only in terms of function rather than position.

Straight handles would allow the analogues to be further to the middle, leaving space below for a chunky touch pad.

Allow me to bestow this glorious artwork upon you.

cql94fo.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if they'll use NFC or bluetooth 4.0 for the new controller. It may cut down on input lag and interference.

Razgreez

I've been speculating that all along. Just sort of disappointed that i'm not seeing any break-apart mock ups nor ones that include possible LED positional trackers (which would be replacements for the Move orbs) as have been alluded to previously

Ugh at all these redesigns and touchpad nonsense.

All I want is more buttons (if only so I never have to deal with a weapon swap control scheme like that of far cry 3 on pc anymore) and concave analog sticks.

mollipen

I definitely prevent convex. By nature, I end up pushing an analog stick around with my thumb on its ends, not middle. Playing this way, I get far better traction and feel from the convex DS sticks, where as the concave Xbox sticks provide me little to push against.

I've been speculating that all along. Just sort of disappointed that i'm not seeing any break-apart mock ups nor ones that include possible LED positional trackers (which would be replacements for the Move orbs) as have been alluded to previously

Seems I have exclusive rights to those, it's the red line on the top of my latest masterpiece.

iNvid02

^^ jesus christ. its unsettling but kaz being everywhere is pretty funny

mista's mockup is excellent btw, g'job

Razgreez

Seems I have exclusive rights to those, it's the red line on the top of my latest masterpiece.

Except it would logically not be on the center portion but more likely on both the left and right portions (think move and nav controller - well nav controller with move capability at least). I.e. you would need strips above the the dpad and the face buttons

Top Bottom