• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

NyILDAW.jpg
6gQkdD9.gif

JTripper

Nightwing The New Order is an interesting concept cause of how shocking it is, but issue #1 did a poor job in making me believe why Dick would do what he did. I'm guessing the comic is purposely
distancing itself from Dick and his motivations though since it's from the pov of his son.
I'll keep reading but I have no set expectations. That page 3 splash is pretty cool though.

Malyse

Edge of Venomverse: this comic was super gross. Also, I would like seeing a red and black inverted Deadpool outfit. It could be hot.

Generations The Thunder: I like how this seeded the story for Legacy. I'm slightly excited for that event. I also loved that they used a non traditional Thor villain for the fight. Very cool.

Current Ranking:

The Best
The Thunder
The Phoenix
The Strongest

Harley Quinn: i'm generally interested in any comic that involves juggling political/social power with superheroics, so if the comic is going down the path I hope it's going down then I'm All In. I don't think that they're brave enough to actually do what I hope they do with Harley Quinn though.

Iceman: is there petition or something I can sign to stop marvel from inflicting Daken on us? He's a terrible character and I wish he would go away forever. Stop trying to make fetch happen. It's not happening.

Immortal Iron Fists: similarly, is there a petition I can sign to replace the current Iron Fist ongoing with Immortal Iron Fists? Pei >>> Danny and Thunderer Danny >>> Iron Fist Danny.

Nightwing The New Order is an interesting concept cause of how shocking it is, but issue #1 did a poor job in making me believe why Dick would do what he did. I'm guessing the comic is purposely
distancing itself from Dick and his motivations though since it's from the pov of his son.
I'll keep reading but I have no set expectations. That page 3 splash is pretty cool though.

Except we have no idea what he actually did other than one of the effects was
most people losing their powers.
There's enough mystery to the who, what, why to keep people reading for the next one.

mreddie

Kills Again Spoilers:

Ms. Marvel, Power Pack and Moon Girl gets killed a la the first one with just the Pack, Jones and Kate die, Cable dies, Gwenpool snaps DP out of but dies anyways.
Ugh, fuck off Bunn you hack.

Meanwhile, only picked up Strange, wow, this feels like a sneak tie in for Spider Woman but still a Strange book, kinda sucks Hopeless has one more issue til Cates.

The America reactions in this thread are so fucking gross.

I think it's a fine comic that's way more ambitious than most comics but primarily is so not targeted at mainstream fans (whether that's a good idea or not is another story).

I don't think any comic should be above criticism, obviously, but the open hostility to this particular book is kind of head scratching. There are much worse books that get much fewer slaps, so what exactly is it about America?

Messi

I think it's a fine comic that's way more ambitious than most comics but primarily is so not targeted at mainstream fans (whether that's a good idea or not is another story).

I don't think any comic should be above criticism, obviously, but the open hostility to this particular book is kind of head scratching. There are much worse books that get much fewer slaps, so what exactly is it about America?

The writing is terrible and is doing the character a disservice? A better writer could do amazing things with America.

That's the back of a Young Avengers trade. EBB is riffing on the Marvel Legacy name.

I think the laughter was at the "legacy" part.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

(Note: I believe that this Gif is specifically reacting to the tagline shitting on Legacy way before it even came out).

America is definitely targeting an audience that we don't have very well represented in this group, and while it's not my favorite book, I keep buying it anyway, because I'm glad it exists.

My reaction was towards what the headline was saying, not at America. This is the back of the Young Avengers trade. If you like America that's cool. I'm not looking down on anyone enjoying it.

Mindwipe

Like?

Seriously.

Sandfox

Archie is the worst character in the Archie book. The book has made me care for characters like Veronica though and I never thought that would happen.

Sandfox

Iron Fists continues to be an interesting book. Seeing both Danny and Pei being forced into roles completely unfamiliar to them makes for a fun story. I like dad Danny and I wonder how they plan to wrap it up.

Malyse

As other have said, that a Young Avengers back. If you look it says collects Young Avengers 1-6.

America is a book where the creator has no concept of the personality of the character. The writing is terrible and completely cringe worthy. The concept itself is nonsensical. America Chavez is one of the coolest most interesting characters Marvel has and she deserved a much better book than this. The reason America gets vitriol over other books is the same reason you're harder on the A+ student for failing than you are on the C- student. America could and should have been one of Marvel's best books, up there with Ms. Marvel and Gwenpool. Instead it's lower than Generation X and Royals. That's not how it was supposed to go.

200.gif

Same thing will happen if Runaways is a pile of shit: I'm coming at it with knives out.

It's also why I more or less hate Champions: cool concept, terrible execution.

As other have said, that a Young Avengers back. If you look it says collects Young Avengers 1-6.

America is a book where the creator has no concept of the personality of the character. The writing is terrible and completely cringe worthy. The concept itself is nonsensical. America Chavez is one of the coolest most interesting characters Marvel has and she deserved a much better book than this. The reason America gets vitriol over other books is the same reason you're harder on the A+ student for failing than you are on the C- student. America could and should have been one of Marvel's best books, up there with Ms. Marvel and Gwenpool. Instead it's lower than Generation X and Royals. That's not how it was supposed to go.

200.gif

Same thing will happen if Runaways is a pile of shit: I'm coming at it with knives out.

It's also why I more or less hate Champions: cool concept, terrible execution.

Well said. Describes how I feel.

Malyse

I think that DC is doing the thing I've been wanting them to do and abandoning the DCEU. I think that what's so cool about DC comics and the biggest difference between the two is that DC isn't as concerned about puzzle piecing their continuity together. Like, we have Justice League and Action Comics and Trinity and Superman which all have Superman as a featured character, but they are all sort of doing their own thing and not worried about the ramifications of what Batman is doing in Detective Comics. That is what I consider the strength of DC and what I want to see in their universe. Don't try to tie everything up with a bow. I would be super thrilled Isolde's they had movies that just plan didn't reference each other. Don't do the infinity stones it's all connected.

Superman #17 was great! Loved Fiumara's work. What else has he done?
That was the last issue of the (surprisingly short) trade. Every issue seemed to have a different artist.

Also started on the Bitch Planet trade. #1 was a nice set-up. Liked the small twist with the Mrs. Collins name.

Top Bottom