• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

I feel like the having to readjust the default straps on the Vive every time you use it part is hyperbole -- I haven't touched it at all over my past dozen sessions or so.

Anyway, everything does sound good.

Well, Im not sure if its just my big noggin or I'm doing something wrong (probably a bit of both); but I have to adjust it every time I use it...otherwise, it is mostly too tight and slips off my face when looking up or down.

As said previously, the problem mainly lies in that top strap where it gets bunched up a bit at the front,,,,so Im continuously needing to loosen it and pull the back part to enlarge it all so the rear cup sits on the back of my head properly and keeps it from moving up my face when looking down.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My experience with the default strap has been so good I've been kinda wondering what the point of the new one is.

I've experienced what Tainted is saying and found that my final adjustment has the side straps tighter than the top strop. But it really has just been easy on easy off. One time when I was really drunk I flung it off my face while I was sorta bent over looking behind me upside down but I was basically trying to make it fall of at that point.

Speaking of which, I've been pretty surprised how active I get when I'm really in the game. I really am a danger to my hardware/myself. I saw my buddy make his way onto the ground while playing Superhot but its a regular occurance for me. Does anyone have any mats in their VR space? It'd be rad to have a gymnast mat set up so you could just full on dive without worrying about hurting yourself.

Have hit a lull in software. I've found I'm kinda not super into shooters right now after having a bad experience in Raw Data. But of course Robo Recall does look quite good.

Played three climbers which I really really love. To The Top is the standout I think, but Windlands needs more time investment. I've only played the Climbey demo, but it too is really dang fun. The climbing games are dope. Thats a fun VR thing to do.

I'm really starting to see how hard it must be to design for VR now. So far I haven't had any truly great experiences with Artificial Movement. Even Budget Cuts' which does it the best is still not perfect. But its a total necessity.

I have yet to play a game where you lean in the direction you want to go. I'm very curious to try that out. I also have not played any seated experiences or traditional control experiences.

I played a fair bit of Thumper in 2D and want to get back to it in the headset, and Polytron has to release SuperHyperCube at some point..

VR is really cool. Lots of software to wade through. But definitely feels like early days.

Ionic

Played three climbers which I really really love. To The Top is the standout I think, but Windlands needs more time investment. I've only played the Climbey demo, but it too is really dang fun. The climbing games are dope. Thats a fun VR thing to do.

I actually just got done with a To The Top session and wanted to see if anybody else here was playing. It's very different feeling from Climbey so people shouldn't feel like they're redundant. The fast movement really feels great in the game. Also the levels are super varied and filled with good challenge. First person VR platforms have been a big hit with me over all. Windlands is still one of my favorite games because the movement system feels incredibly elegant when you get it right. The only one I haven't played is Crytek's The Climb but gameplay wise it looks kind of tepid compared to the other three. That and I don't really want to bother with setting up ReVive.

FSLink

Banned
I feel like the having to readjust the default straps on the Vive every time you use it part is hyperbole -- I haven't touched it at all over my past dozen sessions or so.

Anyway, everything does sound good.

I'm fine with the normal strap, but I demo it constantly so it's always being adjusted. Would be nice to have the new one so it's easier.

Anywhere to order/preorder it yet?

cakefoo

We got a badass over here...

xiswOE4.gif

Also, I've been nausea-free the last week. It's pretty surreal that it just stopped suddenly. Even throwing myself around in Mind OVR Matter felt fine. Best advice I can give is eat ginger candy for training wheels, then ween off it and quit a session as soon as you feel the tiniest bit of nausea, and lastly, don't try moving around in your real space while you're moving artificially in-game.

My cable looked like an old telephone cord after tonight's session. Man, I can't wait for the TPCast to start shipping in the US.

Wardancer

Neo Member
We got a badass over here...

xiswOE4.gif

Pavlov headshots feel so damn good, that sound/particle effect just gives you a perfect immediate feedback that you landed a headshot even if you do it at super long range. Especially nice when you spot a sniper and step out and headshot him with the deagle :p

People need to play more S&D in that game instead of just endless TDM, it adds a whole new level of gameplay to that game and some of the workshop maps work really well for it.

Samemind

Sometimes yes, sometimes I use contact lenses.
Has no impact on how the strap is adjusted though.

Really, when I read some of those impressions of the standard strap I can't really follow. Both the readjusting and the idea that the headset isn't stable on your head. Perhaps head shapes really make a massive difference.

So do you just stretch the straps instead? Or you place the visor on your face before slipping on the straps?

Wardancer

Neo Member
So do you just stretch the straps instead? Or you place the visor on your face before slipping on the straps?

I just pull it on, hook it on the back of your head and pull it down. Never need to undo the straps and it sits great on my face. The trick is to make sure the top strap is long enough to get the triangle all the way to the back of your head and not too tight. The side straps holds the vive in place when you move and the topstrap takes the weight when you just stand up

Putosaure

SUPERHOT VR is now live on Steam for Vive users. Already have the Oculus version through ReVive son I won't buy it again, but everybody should give it a try, especially at -20%.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I really wish Superhot VR had more of the features from the original game, especially the melee is kinda broken since everything is insta kills, no more timing punches to stun enemies and keep them busy.

Like Superhot VR is great but it just feels "less" than Superhot in every way :(

IMACOMPUTA

I really wish Superhot VR had more of the features from the original game, especially the melee is kinda broken since everything is insta kills, no more timing punches to stun enemies and keep them busy.

Like Superhot VR is great but it just feels "less" than Superhot in every way :(

It's still the best VR experience I've had. It's incredible.

It feels a bit basic in it's current form, but I appreciate the fact that it is the opposite of every other shooter, quick reflexes don't matter and you have to move slowly to get further. I really like that.

@Durante
Open Advanced Settings now work for me... as per usual, it was my own fault why it didn't work (had the wrong files...typical DAU situation lol)

-

Sweviver has a video on that .

Durante

I actually had to try it out to be sure, I don't consciously think about it.
What I do is I pickup the HMD with my left hand, the back of the strap with the right, then I place the HMD on my face and pull the strap down behind my back. After that I adjust the positioning of the HMD and then I'm ready. (That's a lot of text or something which takes 20 seconds)

What I do is I pickup the HMD with my left hand, the back of the strap with the right, then I place the HMD on my face and pull the strap down behind my back. After that I adjust the positioning of the HMD and then I'm ready. (That's a lot of text or something which takes 20 seconds)

This is what I do. It only ever gets more complicated if someone else was using the headset and messed with the velcro fit.

Huh, I need to try this.

I always try to adjust the headset position first and it never quite works well.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Kai-ri-sei million arthur VR is out in Japan for Vive. Its a Square Enix card game based on a mobile franchise

Sublevel Zero getting the console contents will be retitled as Sublevel Zero Redux. Also full VR support. All in July

Kartong death by cardboard trailer (from SVRVIVE)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xXRNBHk3E8

Durante

Someone posted on reddit about Samsung's next gen VR displays:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6dcdd2/samsung_quietly_announces_what_appears_to_be_the/

• 3.5"
  • 2010 x 2230 per panel
  • Total resolution of 4020 x 2230
  • 120Hz
  • HDR
  • Low power
  • Optimized for VR (probably global refresh and high fill rate?)

Now that sounds more like it compared to all the LCDs and microdisplays people have speculated about previously, which aren't really that suitable for high-end VR.

I especially love the inclusion of HDR, Valve's talk on that topic made it sound really desirable for VR.

Zalusithix

Someone posted on reddit about Samsung's next gen VR displays:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6dcdd2/samsung_quietly_announces_what_appears_to_be_the/

• 3.5"
  • 2010 x 2230 per panel
  • Total resolution of 4020 x 2230
  • 120Hz
  • HDR
  • Low power
  • Optimized for VR (probably global refresh and high fill rate?)

Now that sounds more like it compared to all the LCDs and microdisplays people have speculated about previously, which aren't really that suitable for high-end VR.

I especially love the inclusion of HDR, Valve's talk on that topic made it sound really desirable for VR.

Was anybody seriously considering microdisplays for gen 2? There's a lot of tech out there that could conceivably be used in the future, but for gen 2 it was pretty much a given we'd see the same form factor using higher resolution panels. Wireless and eye tracking are the questions for gen 2. A major shift in display tech probably won't happen until gen 4 at the earliest.

As for the panels, being approximately twice the x/y resolution, they fit what I was expecting resolution wise. The boost to 120Hz is nice, but I'd hope that we can choose to run at 90. 90Hz works well enough for me, and it is already hard enough to hit at current headset rendering resolutions on more demanding games.

As for HDR, unless we ditch the Fresnel tech and return to simple lenses for gen 2, I see that being more of a liability than a feature. Given the artifacts from the current lenses is most obvious when the delta between the brightest and darkest areas of the screen is the greatest, HDR will just magnify that effect.

Durante

The boost to 120Hz is nice, but I'd hope that we can choose to run at 90. 90Hz works well enough for me, and it is already hard enough to hit at current headset rendering resolutions on more demanding games.
I don't see a reason why this shouldn't be configurable.

As for HDR, unless we ditch the Fresnel tech and return to simple lenses for gen 2, I see that being more of a liability than a feature. Given the artifacts from the current lenses is most obvious when the delta between the brightest and darkest areas of the screen is the greatest, HDR will just magnify that effect.
I hope we'll see something like the dual lens system of the Razer HDK (if that actually works well, still haven't tried it -- but the few reports I heard were very positive about the lenses).
Failing that, I honestly wouldn't mind going back to DK2-style lenses, I never personally had a big issue with their small sweet spot.

Of course sweet spot / sharpness issues will also be exacerbated with a higher-res panel, if you actually want to make effective use of it.

Zalusithix

I don't know whether it's funny or sad how one of the biggest problems facing VR is one that we've been working on for the past 2700 years or so - lenses. For all the advances we make in displays, sensors, and processing power, the optics are still one of the weakest links we'll have in the chain.

Edit: Unrelated, but I'm just slightly salty that I'm out of commission for (standing) VR when Superhot finally landed for the Vive.

Moondrop

Banned
Finally got a second go- been effectively out of commission myself. Focused on adjusting the straps beforehand. I'm pretty happy with the positioning overall, except there's a small gap over my nose. But I haven't put on my aftermarket pad yet.

Played Rec Room- it was awesome. Just bouncing a ping pong ball on a paddle is worthwhile (I got to 21). I played at the complete wrong time of day though- my "dungeon" group had me, a young Russian boy, and a solid gamer. The latter and I were tearing things up with bows until I tried out a crossbow, which had dismal range, and we got totally wiped. So cute when the kid would go "Spasibo!" when we revived him. Then I tried paintball for just a moment, but the matchmaking put me in a 1v2 against two teleporting foes who knew the map... nope. Hard to wrap my head around 4v4 with teleporting randoms- I guess the limited teleportation distance makes it work?

Also I played disc golf with one other person. On the second hole I accidentally threw my disc onto a mountain and was completely unable to retrieve it. My partner left as I persisted. Points for realism? Looks like a fun course though.

I'm loving VR, even if I haven't been able to truly go hard yet. Hopefully in a few more days. Still not totally sold on teleportation- looking forward to trying other locomotion types.

Samemind

Ok, that makes more sense to me. My natural instinct was to hang the kit on my head by the straps first, which leads to needing loose straps so the headset can actually go over my glasses. As someone who wears glasses whenever they aren't sleeping or showering, your way seems much more convenient.

SimplexPL

Edit: Unrelated, but I'm just slightly salty that I'm out of commission for (standing) VR when Superhot finally landed for the Vive.

You're not missing much - seems like the Vive version was not actually customized for vive - the hand positioning does not match the Vive wands ( http://i.imgur.com/TPGwqMk.jpg ), also there is hold to grip mechanic carried over from the Oculus Home version, but we all know that vive grip buttons were not designed to be held for long, only to be clicked - that's why Revive added a hybrid grip option.
Right now Oculus Home/Revive version of Superhot VR is actually superior from the ergonomic point of view, because it supports hybrid grip and the native vive version does not (I assume that revive settings do not work for non-revive games).

It's a bit puzzling - game comes out 6 months later and there was zero effort on part of the devs to customize it for the vive?

Zalusithix

You're not missing much - seems like the Vive version was not actually customized for vive - the hand positioning does not match the Vive wands ( http://i.imgur.com/TPGwqMk.jpg ), also there is hold to grip mechanic carried over from the Oculus Home version, but we all know that vive grip buttons were not designed to be held for long, only to be clicked - that's why Revive added a hybrid grip option.
Right now Oculus Home/Revive version of Superhot VR is actually superior from the ergonomic point of view, because it supports hybrid grip and the native vive version does not (I assume that revive settings do not work for non-revive games).

It's a bit puzzling - game comes out 6 months later and there was zero effort on part of the devs to customize it for the vive?

How in the hell did something this high profile manage to get out the door in that state? This sort of stuff should have been caught immediately with any testing. I guess I'll put off buying it until they fix the problems. If they don't manage until after the intro pricing, I'll wait for a sale. I'm not going the Oculus route, and I'm not rewarding slapdash ports that have had months for polish.

SimplexPL

This is precious:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308572882128/

Hand position breaking immersion
The hand position relative to the vive controller, is breaking the immersion everytime i see my hands... Why are hands represented as if i was able to hold the vive controller parralel to my wrist ???
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will try to fix this in the nearest big patch :)

Sandra,

SUPERHOT team

They will "try" to "fix" it in the "nearest big patch"? I don't even...

I asked this in the game OT, but can anyone confirm whether the hand positioning is actually worse than in the Steam version than with ReVive? I didn't have any noticeable issues when I played through the game with ReVive; it felt basically perfect.

On a separate note, I didn't use the sticky grip when I played Superhot VR, and I can't imagine it any other way. The game makes you constantly juggle weapons and objects. Options are (almost) always good, of course, but the developers might have legitimately decided that holding grip was the best solution for the Vive.

The real problem is that the Vive's grip buttons suck, and the controller doesn't offer a lot of good alternatives.

Eh, the hand positioning was noticeable for sure but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game. I assume it'll be a easy fix despite a weird comment from the support team.

The grip button problem just shows how badly the Vive needs a new controller. You're never holding a weapon for long so it's not as big of a problem as it would be in other games, but it's not exactly comfortable either.

SimplexPL

I know, but this is something that should never be present in final version (it is a Vive version after all), and if it is present, should be fixed ASAP, not "maybe in some patch in future".

I love the dev (am also Polish like them), they gave me free keys for being a backer - but they massively dropped the ball on this. Six months since Oculus Home release and there is zero adjustments for vive specific usage, apart from the fact that the game now runs on vive (which it probably internally did from the very beginning, but it was a timed exclusive).

cakefoo

Massively dropped the ball because the hands are slightly rotated? People whose Vives are out of commission aren't missing much?

The game is awesome. Hand orientation disparities shouldn't be a thing, but the only time it caught my attention was in the computer room with the floppy disks- I've never noticed it during actual gameplay.

lol what demo is this
A conceptual piece from a Redditor. I made the url too stealthy- clicking the gif would take you to the Reddit post.

SimplexPL

Massively dropped the ball because the hands are slightly rotated?
Yep, hands are "slightly rotated" and that's the only problem, everything else is hunky-dory... not.

TPGwqMk.jpg

That tomahawk and cleaver positioning is epic fail - how it passed QA?

Also, there is no sticky grip option (which is present in the Revive version so ironically revive version is currently better than the official native Vive version - how messed up is that?). Raw Data has it, were the devs so clueless as to not realize hybrid grip is a must for Vive wands?

What is the point of having a vive release if they didn't even bother to align hands/weapons with vive controllers or cater to the different behavior of grip button on Vive controller? It is a well known fact that vive grip buttons were designed to be clicked, not to be held for longer periods of time because it is very uncomfortable (cramping). I played Superhot VR on revive before hybrid/sticky grip was added and my hands were cramped/sore after playing, I could feel it.

There was full 6 months between oculus and vive releases and absolutely nothing was done to make the game fit for Vive-specific requirements. That is massively dropping the ball in my book, not to mention the game is not cheap for the amount of content it offers (Forever update improved things, but the single player campaign is still extremely short).
Yes, it's still one of the best VR games in existance, but VR "port" is laughable.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308578430682/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308577503497/

Another bug proving zero QA:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308573533298/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308577526244/

Complaints about lack of sticky/hybrid grip which makes hands hurt:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308575827948/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308576361108/

Complaints on steam forum about hand bugs:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308574998489/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308573453371/

I got it for free for being a KS backer (which is a great move on part of the devs, I praised them on r/vive for giving the keys) but if I paid 20$ for the game in the current state I'd refund it in an instant.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yep, hands are "slightly rotated" and that's the only problem, everything else is hunky-dory... not.

TPGwqMk.jpg

That tomahawk and cleaver positioning is epic fail - how it passed QA?

Also, there is no sticky grip option (which is present in the Revive version so ironically revive version is currently better than the official native Vive version - how messed up is that?). Raw Data has it, were the devs so clueless as to not realize hybrid grip is a must for Vive wands?

What is the point of having a vive release if they didn't even bother to align hands/weapons with vive controllers or cater to the different behavior of grip button on Vive controller? It is a well known fact that vive grip buttons were designed to be clicked, not to be held for longer periods of time because it is very uncomfortable (cramping). I played Superhot VR on revive before hybrid/sticky grip was added and my hands were cramped/sore after playing, I could feel it.

There was full 6 months between oculus and vive releases and absolutely nothing was done to make the game fit for Vive-specific requirements. That is massively dropping the ball in my book, not to mention the game is not cheap for the amount of content it offers (Forever update improved things, but the single player campaign is still extremely short).
Yes, it's still one of the best VR games in existance, but VR "port" is laughable.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308578430682/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308577503497/

Another bug proving zero QA:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308573533298/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308577526244/

Complaints about lack of sticky/hybrid grip which makes hands hurt:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308575827948/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308576361108/

Complaints on steam forum about hand bugs:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308574998489/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/617830/discussions/0/1290691308573453371/

I got it for free for being a KS backer (which is a great move on part of the devs, I praised them on r/vive for giving the keys) but if I paid 20$ for the game in the current state I'd refund it in an instant.

How did ReVive for this game end up being better? But they are going to fix it right?

jwc13ac

I too got Superhot, first "real" game I've bought for the system. I finished normal superhot.

I'm COMPLETELY blown away. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon period, but It's just too fun to Matrix my way through this. Throwing things is just hilarious. This is also the first time I started thinking about playing the game rather than the playing the VR.

Love the achievements too, may be a spoiler but
I dropped a controller and got the butter fingers achievement! Use the straps!
too funny.

I didn't notice any of the miss alignment, now I'm wishing I hadn't read that! The grip is fine for me, but I don't have small hands.

Really don't want this one to end.

SimplexPL

Vertigo has an update which fixed some major bugs, and is 33% off this weekend
http://store.steampowered.com/app/465430/Vertigo/

It's €14.99, so it will be €9.99 when the discount kicks in?

How did ReVive for this game end up being better? But they are going to fix it right?

That was fast, there's already a patch that fixes some issues:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/617830/announcements/detail/1268173310442950660

Solved issues with hand-controller position mapping for some players
Improved progress reset thingy (saw issues with restarting the story)
Changed how some items are gripped
Fixed seldom crashes with our VR stats system
Performance and rendering quality improvements

I don't know, I feel like they acknowledged the limitations of VR and built a game that works very well within them.

I like it a lot more than the original SuperHot, which always felt kind of like a memory/trial-and-error challenge. In particular, I think the concept works a lot better when you can turn your head to see your surroundings without advancing time.

Padinn

I have this random intermittent issue where the headset goes completely gray (flickering off almost) and seems to lose tracking. I can't figure out if its like a loose HDMI cable or an issue with my GTX 1080 (I have the Gigabye Xtreme Premium Plus, which came with a front panel breakout box for VR). Any idea what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom