• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Kaplan acknowledging loot box feedback in Overwatch

You know what I dont understand? How did Blizzard support games before loot box gacha gambling took off?

They supported stuff like Starcraft Brood War, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne for years.

Well, Starcraft was an eSport, so there was money to be had there.

I never got into the Diablo series, so I won't comment.

Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne was a paid expansion. Almost all content that came after that initial purchase (excluding balancing patches) was via custom user created games.

Redmoon

This wouldn't be as big a problem(if at all) if they gave the option to buy credits(or the item outright) with cash instead of just rng lootboxes, with the only other method of getting boxes is high amounts of grinding.

More people (who dont have the time/credits) would be willing to fork over the money if it means avoiding rng/dupes/low dupe credits, to get what item they want.

I mean if I can do this in League, why cant I do this in Overwatch.

DR2K

Banned
Let's see what your free support has gotten you so far:
Bolded items are permanent additions.

2016-MAY : Game Launches
2016-JUN : Competitive mode added
2016-JUL : Character Ana
2016-AUG : Holiday event/mode Summer Games
2016-SEP : Map Eichenwalde
2016-OCT : Holiday event/mode Junkenstein's Revenge
2016-NOV : Micro Map Antartica
2016-NOV : Game Modes for 1v1 and 3v3 play.
2016-NOV : Character Sombra
2016-DEC : Holiday event/mode Mei's Snowball fight
2017-JAN : Map Oasis
2017-JAN : Holiday event/mode Year of the Rooster (permanent CTF mode added)
2017-FEB : Custom games implemented
2017-MAR : Character Orisa
2017-APR : Holiday event/mode Overwatch Uprising
2017-MAY : Anniversary event with 3 new Micro maps.

All of this was free.

That isn't a billion dollars worth of content. They've gotten enough from loot boxes to sustain the game with content for years.

Zomba13

This wouldn't be as big a problem(if at all) if they gave the option to buy credits(or the item outright) with cash instead of just rng lootboxes.

More people (who dont have the time/credits) would be willing to fork over the money if it means avoiding rng/dupes/low dupe credits, to get what item they want.

They sort of do this in HotS where there are featured sinks and mounts every week you can buy with the pay for currency (you can also use the free currency "shards" you get from dupes). You can't buy everything with the crystals but you can buy boxes, heroes and featured items. You can allso re-roll loot boxes you don't like using the ingame gold (currency used to buy heroes or re-roll boxes). I much prefer the loot box stuff in HotS because of this.

Won

You know what I dont understand? How did Blizzard support games before loot box gacha gambling took off?

They supported stuff like Starcraft Brood War, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne for years.

They didn't lockout the community from creating content for the games. I still consider this the biggest loss of all this loot box nonsense.

2016-MAY : Game Launches

2016-JUL : Character Ana

2016-SEP : Map Eichenwalde

2016-NOV : Character Sombra

2017-JAN : Map Oasis

2017-MAR : Character Orisa

Too bad the micro map game modes and CTF aren't good. Comp mode is just point tracking and ruleset modifiers for base content.

The exploitative limited time content and stingy coin giving hasn't exactly led to tons of quality free gameplay content as people argue.

Skux

Ah yes, we've had this same issue raised in Hearthstone. Blizzard did nothing and I fully expect them to do nothing about it here.

"I'm sorry that we've been milking you guys with microtransactions. You want better value for your money? We totally hear you!" rubs nipples

A forum post like this is a mere concession designed to quell the tenor of vocal detractors so that the negative conversation doesn't bleed further into the general community. It's a simple way to calm things down and minimize impact. This is a standard PR response, and if you think it's going to result in any action that majorly benefits the community over and above Blizzard, you're fooling yourself.

Xiaoki

For the Uprising event I got 5 Legendary event skins. The only 1 that I actually wanted I got at the last minute of the last day.

This event, I dont want any of the new skins. Do I want the Lucio skin? No. So, am I going to be mega butt hurt if I dont get the Lucio skin? Of course not.

I got what I wanted from the anniversary event in the first couple days so Im good.

It seems like the real problem people have is that they NEED to have everything but the system isnt providing them everything for free.

But, ultimately, I dont give a shit about of any of it. They're just cosmetic skins.

Why are you acting like not getting some non-gameplay affecting cosmetic is the end of the fucking world?

This wouldn't be as big a problem(if at all) if they gave the option to buy credits(or the item outright) with cash instead of just rng lootboxes, with the only other method of getting boxes is high amounts of grinding.

Personally the ability to buy credits or skins directly would kill any excitement I had when getting a cool new skin, and I'd likely play much less.

Strakt

For a non answer? Nah, no respect. He'll get it when they fix the system if they ever do.

Lol what type of answer are you looking for from him? Are people just sheep and follow only negativity? If I recall, summer Olympics you couldn't even buy skins with currency, and people complained... they said they would look into it, and the event after you were able to buy skins with currency. Do you think he's gonna change the way lootboxes work in an ongoing event.. where people already spent money? Or do you think its a better idea to post they're taking feedback and looking into it now and have new changes for whenever the next event comes?

Kenstar

That would require them to actually give a shit about the consumer instead of having addicts pumping money into their roulette machine.

AHEM

Supporters of *free* future content is what they like to be called

Also, if Blizzard doesn't want everyone to have every skin they want, why have they since day one let you buy dozens of boxes at once to try and get what you want?

packy34

It seems worse than ever with this event. I've earned 10+ boxes in the game since the event started, and I also purchased 11. Out of all of them, 4 legendary items dropped. 2 were repeats of base legendary skins, 1 was currency, and 1 was an event skin. That's it. I feel absolutely zero drive to keep grinding for special skins when I know the chances of getting one are essentially nil.

Too bad the micro map game modes and CTF aren't good. Comp mode is just point tracking and ruleset modifiers for base content.

The exploitative limited time content and stingy coin giving hasn't exactly led to tons of quality free gameplay content as people argue.

Negative opinions do not mean something ceases to exist, you know...

There were a ton of people super happy with all those things you omitted. You don't get to pick and choose what counts.

Swig_

It seems worse than ever with this event. I've earned 10+ boxes in the game since the event started, and I also purchased 11. Out of all of them, 4 legendary items dropped. 2 were repeats of base legendary skins, 1 was currency, and 1 was an event skin. That's it. I feel absolutely zero drive to keep grinding for special skins when I know the chances of getting one are essentially nil.

Yeah... I've opened probably around 12-14 boxes this week from the Arcade stuff and leveling up. Not a single legendary. The "best" thing I've received was Sombras dance emote. Outside of that, 2-3 dupes per box and a couple of event sprays. Luckily I have enough coins for the one skin that I actually like this event. If it had been full of amazing skins, I'd be feeling kind of annoyed.

hbkdx12

It's all conjecture but i'd have a hard time believing this would be true considering that once you bought the handful of things that you actually wanted, you wouldn't have any incentive to pay into the system further.

The way it is now is strictly gambling. People aren't buying into the system knowing that they'll get what they want. They're buying in hoping that they'll eventually get it whether it cost them 5 bucks or 50 bucks

Yeah... I've opened probably around 12-14 boxes this week from the Arcade stuff and leveling up. Not a single legendary. The "best" thing I've received was Sombras dance emote. Outside of that, 2-3 dupes per box and a couple of event sprays. Luckily I have enough coins for the one skin that I actually like this event. If it had been full of amazing skins, I'd be feeling kind of annoyed.

I've opened ten boxes so far, only 1 dance emote and no event skins. And it's not even a good dance lol

imagining paying 10 dollars for jack shit is really sad

Zomba13

It's all conjecture but i'd have a hard time believing this would be true considering that once you bought the handful of things that you actually wanted, you wouldn't have any incentive to pay into the system further.

The way it is now is strictly gambling. People aren't buying into the system knowing that they'll get what they want. They're buying in hoping that they'll eventually get it whether it cost them 5 bucks or 50 bucks

Well, I have put money into HotS since it went "2.0" to get some things I wanted (featured skins, Genji, the recent bundle thing with the zebra and some gems and boxes, some gems to go towards heroes I want if/when they appear on 50% sale) and have yet to put money into OW in my hundreds of hours compared to my tens of hours in HotS.

If I could buy what I want (or buy currency to spend on what I want) I'm willing to throw money at the devs but I'm completely unwilling when it's an RNG gamble. So, in HotS where I could (theoretically) throw money at it until I got what I wanted (if given enough time for the skins/mounts to become a weekly featured item) they still get more money out of me than forcing me to buy RNG boxes of dupes.

OW should look at HotS and copy that. Even if we just get weekly featured items and get to re-roll our boxes at the cost of some coins. You can still buy RNG boxes in HotS if you like to gamble.

Swig_

I've opened ten boxes so far, only 1 dance emote and no event skins. And it's not even a good dance lol

imagining paying 10 dollars for jack shit is really sad

Yep, which is why I'm not buying any more crates. I can deal with no having every skin in the game. Just going to focus on getting my favorite one or two each event. I was pretty lucky and got most of the Insurrection skins, though. I had to buy one that I really wanted.

M*A*S*H

On the subject of HOTS, its 2nd anniversary is coming up and they've announced that players will get a free loot box everyday for the whole event just for playing one match (which can be as short as 5 min). That's 14 free boxes versus overwatch's miserly 1.

edit: if you include the arcade mode first wins, its still only 3.

ZugZug123

Posted this on the OW forum too: talk is cheap, will only take this seriously once I see changes on the next event.

But this kind of strategy works, just look at all the highly rated "Thank you, Jeff!" posts on the OW forums. I can't believe a post that gave no indication anything will change still made the fan base so happy.

neilyadig

Posted this on the OW forum too: talk is cheap, will only take this seriously once I see changes on the next event.

But this kind of strategy works, just look at all the highly rated "Thank you, Jeff!" posts on the OW forums. I can't believe a post that gave no indication anything will change still made the fan base so happy.

Bottom line is that people like to play the game. Loot boxes and everything else is just icing on the cake.

Well I guess it's the precedent that they've set so far.
When they got massive backlash for not making event cosmetics available for credits, the next event they made them available for credits.
And most of the time, if they say "we're going to look into it", they usually do (I can't think of a situation where they didn't).

While it certainly is possible that this post is mere lip service, in the past that was not the case, which is why a lot of people are positive about it. Personally I'm cautiously optimistic - I hope for the best but expect nothing to change.

ZugZug123

Bottom line is that people like to play the game. Loot boxes and everything else is just icing on the cake.

I like to play it too and I never purchased any loot boxes. I even dipped my toe into comp games, plowing through solo queue to finally grind enough for 1 golden gun.

But as someone who spent $60 on the PC, thinking "Hey, new heroes and new maps are free updates, Blizz is doing this right!" and wanting to support it, the 3 heroes and 2 permanent maps we got since the launch are not good enough.

The problem with the loot boxes being so successful is that ActiBlizz will divert most if not all their development resources to chase the whales. The frequency of the events and their time locked content has accelerated, while permanent updates to the game have stalled. We are ALL affected by the loot box economy, even if we don't buy them.

The amount of complaining I hear about Overwatch compared to other games, despite a lot of other games doing them in a far FAR more preying manner, only tells me that Blizzard should perhaps go about making their lootboxes less fair, heh. Overwatch is benign as fuck about it.

The only time Overwatch's lootboxes have been downright shitty were in the original summer games event, but they've since rectified on that.

KanameYuuki

For so much they gloat about listening to feedback they haven't even acknowledge that Linear ramp isn't working on consoles, much less fixed it: linear ramp is broken - Video example

People gotta speak with their wallets, but that's something that won't work anymore with so many people playing, and sure I understand this is their way to keep supporting the game but there inst even highlights saving and all we have got so far are 2 maps and 3 new heroes. and it is not like the game isn't selling any more copies to say that the lootboxes are their only income.

ZugZug123

More like

We realized our skinner box is too slow in triggering your dopamine glands. We're going to up the dose to make you peasants happy.

Since Activision also owns King (of candy Crush fame) you bet they have a lot of data on how to trigger the gambling side of people and they will be applying these on every game possible, OW included.

At this point I'm willing to pay $40 for a season pass if Blizzard can update the game more frequently with actual, substantial content. Cosmetics don't count.

As much as I dislike season passes, at this point it's preferable to getting a trickle of substantial content while praying to RNGesus for skins.

Lemstar

The degree of positivity surrounding everything pertaining to Overwatch feels like looking in on a cult.

WoW money

now they have WoW money -and- Overwatch box money!

Well, Starcraft was an eSport, so there was money to be had there.
I don't know if this is serious, but competitive gaming doesn't make money for publishers.

People say the rng gets worse every event, but this is the first time I've honestly felt that way as well. I've gotten almost nothing, been playing since Christmas and never bought anything.

I've only got 5k coins, and that isn't anywhere near enough to get a good chunk of stuff.

Dartastic

I just got my second legendary in around 20 boxes or so. IT WAS A FUCKING NORMAL LEGENDARY AGAIN. NOT EVEN AN EVENT LEGENDARY. FUCKING HELL BLIZZARD UGH. TWENTY BOXES AND NOT ONE EVENT SKIN.

Mendrox

At this point I'm willing to pay $40 for a season pass if Blizzard can update the game more frequently with actual, substantial content. Cosmetics don't count.

As much as I dislike season passes, at this point it's preferable to getting a trickle of substantial content while praying to RNGesus for skins.

No fuck no. You split the the community with that. Get out with that Call of Duty shit. Let them rethink the system and let people buy skins with real money. Problem solved. Works for League of Legends too. Also add other lootboxes like "100% surefire legendary skin" and they are good to go. People that just want to have specific skins or people that like to take their chances both have more options. Problem solved.

Lhadatt

New box. Three Anniversary items. Four dupes.

C'mon Jeff. I know you're checking this thread. Stop this madness.

66wQmlo.jpg

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It bums me out I will never get the skins for my fave characters I want. I think my top character is like 20/70 possible unlocks and I STILL GET CONSTANT DUPES. They arent even hiding how greedy they are.

Sidon

Jeff's reply: 'Blahblah thanks a lot for your feedback blahblah no action yet, so keep on buying those boxes boiz.'

They're such a bunch of shady fucks; I had a lot of love for Blizzard once, but that's gone completely. Why the hell do people still buy these boxes?

Top Bottom