• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Stop Giving Evil Characters Brown Skin'

This is definitely something I hope changes soon. We've made progress in a lot of areas, including this one, but there is still a lot of room to grow for developers.

Besides...

Everyone should know that all you need is an evil mustache to make a good bad-guy.

128727929235423890.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought the Evil bad guy stereotype was us English white Dudes.

Crocodile

Why do you think that is? Because of racial connotations or because of an inherent cultural meaning of a color dating back from a pre-evolutionary time when we feared the dark due to not being nocturnal and many of our natural predators being so? The significance of the color black through many cultures is one of evolution's nasty tricks and the idea that the majority of our perception comes from race pulls a shade over something that could end up being a key piece to the solution of solving these issues.

The first humans were dark skinned. Negative connotations were culturally applied to dark skin after the fact ("low class" tans, European colonialism, etc.). That is what this topic is principally about. "Being afraid of the dark" seems like a non-sequitor here?

Which was my original point. It's just a magic transformation. The fact that she gains and loses her princess outfit and magical abilities don't make sense either. It's literally just her assuming the look and abilities of Zelda and losing them after.

Not to mention what you said was a trope was actually a thing, and the game didn't make any reference to one being "superior" or more "good" than the other, so I'm confused what it had to do with the topic at hand

The game doesn't have to say anything. Princesses (who are Magic and key to saving the world) > Average Pirate is just a common IRL association. It's basically a much less worse (note how I said much less before you chew me out) version of the Hyrule Warriors situation.

I think this is a valid and interesting discussion to be had. However I do find it rather unfortunate that many discussion seems to be taken on the ground of America racial socio-history. This isn't a problem in itself of course, but since there are a lot of characters from Japanese games mentioned (OP used Hyrule Warriors as an example), things are bound to be complicated. Careful observation and conclusion needs to be exercised in order to not to accused or assumed people of different cultural background having the same racial perspective or reasoning as one did from America.

We live in an interconnected world. If you're selling your wares to the world, you and those products are going to be judged by the lens of other cultures. That's both natural and inevitable. Being aware of how foreign cultures may react to your product when you export it is something that businesses have had to deal with for centuries and will continue to have to deal with.

Because heroes are meant to be played by the player and bad guys are not? When you think about a player, it is just natural to look at your personal sorrounding, unless you're obsessed with racial affairs, which most people are not.

Don't stop there. Why most games take place in America? I want someone to do a game about Spain, I'm tired of all games being US-focused. Can't all these americans just offer some bigger diversity? Can't they think of spaniards?

Or, maybe, we, spaniards, could start doing our own games about Spain, just like some people worried about racial representation could start doing their games about the issues they are worried about. I might have missed it, but last time I checked, there was no big game about racial issues written from a mature point of view. One game that made all other titles feel childish in comparision. Maybe the goal poles need to be moved by those that are worried about the issue instead of asking other people to move them.

A) So are we just pretending there aren't millions upon millions upon millions of gamers who aren't White? I guess you'd say the same to Women and LGBT gamers?

B) If I go to a restaurant for a meal, wasn't entirely satisfied and I have constructive criticism, do you honestly think it would be acceptable for the chef to respond with "just go cook something yourself"? I know you wouldn't apply this dumb logic to any other circumstance, why are you applying it here? Do you really not understand the concept of criticism? Do you not understand how it can be beneficial to appeal to a wide audience (even within the context of niche genres or niche games)? to Do you not understand that not everybody can make games or wants to spend their limited time on Earth making games? Nobody can "force" an artist to do anything here - people are just letting other people know what they like and dislike about a product (or missed opportunities or whatever).

Nanashrew

Banned
She's literally a princess that shoots magic arrows when she's white and a pirate when she's dark

Tetra also kinda didn't want to be a princess as well. She wants to seek out adventure and do her own thing. In the sequel she even doesn't like it when her crew calls her Zelda in Phantom Hourglass. But in the final game Tetra gets a stained glass window in the throne room of New Hyrule Castle in Spirit Tracks. She's really well loved for her heroism and establishing New Hyrule.

She didn't go by Zelda at all and seemed to refuse in taking the name. However, she did pass the name down. Her own great-great granddaughter even prays to Tetra to give her the strength she needs to recover her body.

She's literally a princess that shoots magic arrows when she's white and a pirate when she's dark

So? You're taking something blatantly obvious and unambiguous, that pirates (people out in the sun all day) would be darker than royalty (people indoors all day) and, somehow ignoring that in favor of your idea that they subconsciously (or intentionally) made them darker out because of the association of darker skin with inferiority or bad character. It's bizarre.

Hell, there's even a painting of Zelda and her aides in the castle that show the rest of them similarly lighter than their current reincarnations, so it isn't just her.

I'm not even denying the thesis of the topic/video, because it should be obvious it's done pretty often, but trying to make this (Tetra/Zelda) an example seems to be a case of willfully ignoring context and reasons why it isn't.

Astral Dog

The brown desert people.

Hmmmmm...
It is a bit strange though, considering that Ganondorf as a character pre-dates the Gerudo. In ALttP, he was simply referred to as a thief, with no indication that he wasn't Hylian, since he didn't appear in human form at any point. Before that, there was no indication that Ganon was ever not a pig-demon.

It is certainly possible that they designed the Gerudo as a whole to match Ganondorf's backstory as a thief. It is true that the OoT Gerudo have very little role outside of being Ganondorf's followers. Breath of the Wild was the first time the Gerudo escaped that role as thieves, pirates, and brigands.

I really liked how Breath of the Wild ironed over a lot of these issues so well. All the care they put into developing the Gerudo culture, the variety of skin tones for Gerudo and Hylians, and Urbosa's line about how
she was furious that Ganon had once taken the form of her people and unfairly placed a blight on her culture's history

Well he was always called a thief and lived in a desert wich explains the dark skin. He hated living there and wanted a better life for her people. Thats makes him an interesting villain despite the skin color because its actually adressed maturelt
in that one game only

The reason for this is to differentiate between the original, which was whitewashed.

Also they're not being portrayed as a different ethnicity, just darker skin. And that's literally because dark=bad, like bad guys wear black.

I know this sounds like I'm some anti-sjw gamergate moron trying to justify racism, but I'm really not. I totally understand that you need to be sensitive to different races, even if you yourself aren't racist and maybe dont have a culture where you can experience the plight of those ethnicities (which makes it harder to understand what is racist and what isn't).

But in this case its really not bad. They're not tanned, they're in shadow.

I agree, and I'm black myself. This is not a problem whatsoever.

Dark has meant scary/bad since the beginning of time.

This is definitely something I hope changes soon. We've made progress in a lot of areas, including this one, but there is still a lot of room to grow for developers.

Besides...

Everyone should know that all you need is an evil mustache to make a good bad-guy.

128727929235423890.jpg

KITT and KARR were both dark though later KARR was partially painted gray.

KARR should've had a goatee.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's the problem. Skin color shouldn't be thought of as just an aspect of design. It's an aspect of identity and something that doesn't change based on morality so it's not cool to see it treated as such in entertainment and games.

and come on that Violent Ken art from CvS1 literally has Ken's hair frizzed up into an afro puff. I mean come on.

COME. ON.

It is an aspect of design especially to these characters though as they are sprites in games. Do learn context. This isn't slighting "race" at all. It is easier to see the character change visually as they were sprites.

Hair frizzing up is a common orochi thing though.

latest

with that said that artstyle is unfortunate I do agree, but I was never a big fan of the CvS art, the sprite is much better showing

latest

svcvke-2.png

It wasn't meant to be an afro, as you can see in the stuff above. Just the artist messing it up.

And don't give me that tone. It literally is the same - the character deliberately shown to have dark colors as dark counterparts to the characters, with similar designs but with dark tone. This isn't some profiling against race or something.

I get what the topic is about - but considering the very concept of colors and then equating it as racist despite the context given is just dumb or trying look for a problem that isn't really there. Someone got it right in this thread - it's not meant to represent "dark skinned people of color", but the character "using the power of shadows".

fresquito

A) So are we just pretending there aren't millions upon millions upon millions of gamers who aren't White? I guess you'd say the same to Women and LGBT gamers?

B) If I go to a restaurant for a meal, wasn't entirely satisfied and I have constructive criticism, do you honestly think it would be acceptable for the chef to respond with "just go cook something yourself"? I know you wouldn't apply this dumb logic to any other circumstance, why are you applying it here? Do you really not understand the concept of criticism? Do you not understand how it can be beneficial to appeal to a wide audience (even within the context of niche genres or niche games)? to Do you not understand that not everybody can make games or wants to spend their limited time on Earth making games? Nobody can "force" an artist to do anything here - people are just letting other people know what they like and dislike about a product (or missed opportunities or whatever).
A) Good try taking my comment out of context. It's fancy doing such things and then play the open minded trope.

B) No, this is like entering a Chinese restaurant and saying stop doing Chinese food. Look at the thread title.

MaulerX

I agree, and I'm black myself. This is not a problem whatsoever.

Dark has meant scary/bad since the beginning of time.

Not only that but scientifically speaking, when things go bad they tend to turn dark/black. Fruits, different types of food etc... It's a generally accepted thing. And as someone that has dealt with responding to DOA's, I can tell you that once rigor mortis sets in, the body gets dark/black to the point where we couldn't tell visually weather the deceased was black/white etc...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A) Good try taking my comment out of context. It's fancy doing such things and then play the open minded trope.

B) No, this is like entering a Chinese restaurant and saying stop doing Chinese food. Look at the thread title.

Uh what.

That's an even worse analogy lmao. Are you saying that the standard is to have PoC to be evil? Because that's all I can get from that.

I've noticed this as well. Evil characters based on good characters have darker clothes but yeah more often than not they have darker skin.

Shit makes no sense and it's subtly trying to make you think that darker skin is evil.

Don't stop there. Why most games take place in America? I want someone to do a game about Spain, I'm tired of all games being US-focused. Can't all these americans just offer some bigger diversity? Can't they think of spaniards?

I'm going to tell you a secret: If that's what really bothers you, you are free to criticize game makers about it. You seem to think that games and developers shouldn't be criticized or that it's some kind of blasphemy. It's not.

Sinfamy

They're dark because they're corrupted by darkness, a typical fantasy trope.
Everything is about race with Americans, Jesus Christ.

I've noticed this as well. Evil characters based on good characters have darker clothes but yeah more often than not they have darker skin.

Shit makes no sense and it's subtly trying to make you think that darker skin is evil.

I don't think it's that.(the artist themselves actively trying to shape the thought of the audience)I think it's that the artists and designers themselves subconsciously think that and that's why it manifests itself in art in the same way across so many individuals. These bias are ingrained in the content creators as a reflection of the society they/we live in.

The first step in changing that is just calling it out. That's all the video this thread is based on is trying to do. No clue why people are jumping through hoops trying to explain to me the in universe or design logic for why these decisions make sense.

at the end of the day a designer and director sat in a room together and collectively decided that the villains/ evil versions of characters should have dark skin. Or that the princess/light/pure version should have lighter/white skin.

emalord

The best villain ever is Sephirot followed by Wesker and Mundus and Bowser so I can't fully agree with OP
Besides villains are often cool so what's the problem?

Uh what.

That's an even worse analogy lmao. Are you saying that the standard is to have PoC to be evil? Because that's all I can get from that.

That's deliberately reductive and you know it. The characters mentioned in the OP are not PoC. You may project, either rightly or wrongly, racial undertones on to Violent Ken and Evil Ryu, but it appears highly unlikely that this was the intention of the original designers.

captainpat

The first step in changing that is just calling it out. That's all the video this thread is based on is trying to do. No clue why people are jumping through hoops trying to explain to me the in universe or design logic for why these decisions make sense.

Not sure why anyone would think videogame devs are above colorism.

Zaventem

I actually think this is less common place in games, infact i would say lots of evil heroes that come tp mind are sickly white or porcelain imo. ( both which also tend to get put in the vil colored skin trope alot)

Makonero

I get it if the only character in your game that's dark skinned is the villain, but shouldn't representation include all colors and orientations/genders? For villains, heroes and side characters?

Making a character grey isn't making them black or brown, being a brown person myself, I feel like black and brown people are hardly ever used as bad guys. Give me like 5 black or brown characters who were villains. Usually villains come off as super pale, super white, usually thin gaunt perhaps, People keep name dropping Ganondorf, but hes not black, if anything Gerudo are middle eastern and if you couldn't see that, its not the fault of the source material.

How many black or brown skinned antagonists?

Vaas. Farcry 3

I'll come back when I actually think of some.

Nanashrew

Banned
For sprite based Evil Ryu, they could make him more banchou like. His sprites look too much like normal Ryu, just darker. Lose the shirt entirely or make it hang off like a jacket. Make his hair flaming red.

That should be a super simple, but effective way to differentiate between normal Ryu and Evil Ryu without making his skin tone darker in sprite base Steet Fighters.

EDIT: Oh right, and red eyes.

There's plenty more options for details and costumes in new Street Fighter games with 3D models to make every character look unique, even clones and evil variants.

Synth

I get it if the only character in your game that's dark skinned is the villain, but shouldn't representation include all colors and orientations/genders? For villains, heroes and side characters?

That's precisely the issue though. It seems like the only reason dark skinned characters are ever added to many of these games is purely to signify them as being evil.

There are probably more protagonists that are Kirby Pink or Yoshi Green than there are ones that have a darker complexion. Yet if you look over at the villain side, there's suddenly tons to choose from.

voodew

Neo Member
As a person of color I find this a bit dumb and also very patronizing. I don't want my villains white washed. I like a brown bad ass character regardless of what side they're on. What we should be pushing for are more diverse main casts, so we don't blink at a villain's skin color (which I feel a lot of people already manage to do instead scrimmaging for anything that is potentially problematic.) A wiping all out solution wouldn't solve anything and would actually be more regressive.

Blues1990

As a person of color I find this a bit dumb and also very patronizing. I don't want my villains white washed. I like a brown bad ass character regardless of what side they're on. What we should be pushing for are more diverse main casts, so we don't blink at a villain's skin color (which I feel a lot of people already manage to do instead scrimmaging for anything that is potentially problematic.) A wiping all out solution wouldn't solve anything and would actually be more regressive.

I'm of the same mindset. By the way, this thread is pretty dumb in of itself.

sirap

As a person with brown skin I'll give devs a pass for making villains darker...

...if they give us a sick goatee too.

Black and white are colours. Also black and white symbolise evil and good respectively. It's hard to understand, I know. Are they supposed to make evil characters green or something? No, because green symbolises being from Mars. The guy in the video is part of the problem.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also there's this non-canon form from MvSF

latest

while localized merely as Dark Sakura, her Japanese name is Sun-Burnt Sakura

the joke is that she isn't evil, it's just tan, and that the whole evil "skin" is really just shadowy aura

Synth

The bolded is exactly the point though... we don't bat an eyelid when an evil character is light skinned, because there's an similar abundance of light skinned good characters. If there was actually diverse main casts, then it would be easy to counteract the provided examples with non-evil player characters... but it isn't, because we don't get generally get diverse main casts.

I feel that the way the argument was put forth is flawed.. "stop giving evil characters" isn't the problem, rather than to stop having that as their sole representation in most cases.

Black and white are colours. Also black and white symbolise evil and good respectively. It's hard to understand, I know. Are they supposed to make evil characters green or something? No, because green symbolises being from Mars. The guy in the video is part of the problem.
But why change the skin color? Yeah, make Evil Ryu and Violent Ken wear black clothes, have red, demonic eyes, give them a crazy, psychotic expression, maybe give them an evil aura, and that type of thing. But why change their skin color on top of that when they go evil? Is that really necessary, when there are so many other ways to do so? That's what that is getting at--why change their skin color when they go evil, when it's the same exact character and there are so many other ways of showing that fall to evil.

petran79

Banned
I currently live in Asia and dark skin definitely has negative reactions. Not only a race thing but also a class based thing. Uper class tend to always be lighter skin while lower class that works in the sun tend to have darker skin. Whenever you see examples of thieves and prostitutes they are always typically protrayed with darker skin.

So not only do I think it's a race based thing which it also clearly is here (many older generations here find Arabs or Africans scary) but it also is a stigma against lower class people.

You find it a lot, I mean look at India, typically darker your skin the lower you are on the cast system.

Fear of dark skin in the West also stems from the Middle Ages (Arab and Moor conquest). Even in India Islam appealed to the outcasts of Hinduism.Lot of the "untouchables" converted to Islam.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Meanwhile, it's something I had been aware of since I was a child, which saddened me. Ganondorf was notable for me with this, as basically the only major black character I was aware of, with the Nintendo 64 being my first console.
He is a Gerudo, the other Gerudos also have a dark skin, because they are modelled after arabs. Not all Gerudos are evil though, just Ganondorf.

Also, regarding Cia: I would have called her white and the tan I would have guessed is to make her look more attractive, because she is supposed to be super-attractive (but not in a fragile way) and that would have looked quite strange with the extremely pale skin of her alter ego. Interestingly, I cannot remember a game other than Zelda where the bad guy is actually dark skinned among the game series I like.

fresquito

Uh what.

Uh, what, I can't read? The analogy is there are more restaurants. You don't like Chinese food, don't go into a Chinese restaurant. You don't like that SOME games have dark skinned baddies, don't play them.

I'm going to tell you a secret: If that's what really bothers you, you are free to criticize game makers about it. You seem to think that games and developers shouldn't be criticized or that it's some kind of blasphemy. It's not.
Yeah, the secret of today's society: tell everybody what to do. Criticising someone because the bad guy is dark skinned is laughable, unless there's a racist message behind. And no, the examples given are not racist. Like Tetra being tanned is racist? Are you people for real?

Applying it within a single ethnicity is still harmful. You're relating negative characteristics to the colour of someone's skin, they don't have to be a different race for it not to be a negative stereotype.

Additionally, it eventually turns into a race thing, regardless. You're stereotyping based on skin colour, such an association is obvious when you introduce people of a darker coloured race.

I'm not saying it's not harmful, I'm saying it's not inherently racist. It's still prejudice and can be used for racism, of course.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So? You're taking something blatantly obvious and unambiguous, that pirates (people out in the sun all day) would be darker than royalty (people indoors all day) and, somehow ignoring that in favor of your idea that they subconsciously (or intentionally) made them darker out because of the association of darker skin with inferiority or bad character. It's bizarre.

Hell, there's even a painting of Zelda and her aides in the castle that show the rest of them similarly lighter than their current reincarnations, so it isn't just her.

I'm not even denying the thesis of the topic/video, because it should be obvious it's done pretty often, but trying to make this (Tetra/Zelda) an example seems to be a case of willfully ignoring context and reasons why it isn't.

The difference between Tetra and Zelda is more classist than racist. Across the world, tanned skin is associated with peasants who spend time outdoors working fields, whereas royalty and nobility have much paler skin. In Asia this idea is almost universal.

IrishNinja

Using Scar from the Lion King as one of the examples made me have to check I wasn't on The Onion.

Ganondorf has actually a solid lore reason for it as he is a Gerudo.

tenor.gif

reaching...reaching real hard.

I'm usually a fan of Mic articles, but some like this can be a bit preachy and too politically-correct.

I swear people are so sensitive over everything...

I've noticed this since I started gaming 29 years ago.

It's just not what he makes it out to be.
The evil or bad guys are usually darker to give a sense of evil.
Dark = bad/evil.

It has nothing to do with ethnicity.
Could we please stop making an issue out of every little thing?

Guess these days we can find anything to complain about. Sorry but this is ridiculous.

Probably because there're more white skinned people making games?

When you are white and you make a game the bad guy can be white, black or green, whatever fits the story or concept. But for the protagonist, unless you have an specific setting for him, you will go with your standard. That specific can be either having a racial connotation, a gender connotation, a personality connotation...

I mean, it is not rocket science. I'm doing a game myself and my chars will most likely not be dark skinned. Dark skinned people don't play a substantial role in my life, simple as that.

But hey, everybody got the right to be offended, isn't it? Like, Evil Ryu and Violent Ken could be dark skinned because the artist wanted to empower their consumed by an inner fire look of them. Or it could be because they are racists.

Since everyone has the right to be offended, allow me take offense from threads like these.

gaming side was a mistake

Do I have to read this thread or is it the usual? Mostly white ppl with a sprinkle of poc's saying no ( insert topic about race/representation) doesn't matter. They don't notice a problem therefore there obviously isn't one. It's just the way things are. Stop looking for racism. I bet someone linked a study or some sorta video/ scholarly article that those ppl will ignore. Etc etc. I'll be shocked if it's different lol.
Bonus points if others can't believe neogaf has members that are that dense who also lack empathy.

spot on, but then we clearly haven't come very far since the GTA: SA days

Shaanyboi

Banned
Uh, what, I can't read? The analogy is there are more restaurants. You don't like Chinese food, don't go into a Chinese restaurant. You don't like that SOME games have dark skinned baddies, don't play them.

Yeah, the secret of today's society: tell everybody what to do. Criticising someone because the bad guy is dark skinned is laughable, unless there's a racist message behind. And no, the examples given are not racist. Like Tetra being tanned is racist? Are you people for real?
Tetra, a pirate, gets turned into a princess. And to show just how much more magical and royal she is, they lighten her skin. Sorry this is difficult for you to comprehend.

You're doing a GREAT job selling your game btw

Tetra, a pirate, gets turned into a princess. And to show just how much more magical and royal she is, they lighten her skin. Sorry this is difficult for you to comprehend.

You're doing a GREAT job selling your game btw

Is it difficult for you to comprehend that she could have got a tan by being on the deck of a ship in direct sunlight day after day. Seriously, you're seeing what you want to see here.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Is it difficult for you to comprehend that she could have got a tan by being on the deck of a ship in direct sunlight day after day. Seriously, you're seeing what you want to see here.

Yeah, and she loses the tan when she becomes a princess. Because tanned skinned is for peasants.

And than tan disappears as soon as she turns into Zelda... why exactly? It's not like she actually spent months indoors. It just happens instantly, by magic, as soon as the King completes the Triforce piece. Same person, but as Zelda, not only do her clothes change, but she instantly loses the tan, by magic because she's "pure" now and apparently it's really important to signify that by changing her skin-tone and not just her clothes. Why are people even making up this bullshit that the game doesn't even try to justify like that?

Top Bottom