• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

ixlYedQentjKu.jpg

Other thread? What other thread? And I definitely didn't rush this. It's not Like Nickelodeon announced a première date with only a week of prep time, or anything...

------------------------------------
Airing times
Episode 1 - 11:00 EDT, 14th April 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 2 - 11:30 EDT, 14th April 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 3 - 11:00 EDT, 21st April 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 4 - 11:00 EDT, 28th April 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 5 - 11:00 EDT, 5th May 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 6 - 11:00 EDT, 12th May 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 7 - 11:00 EDT, 19th May 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 8 - 11:00 EDT 2nd June 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 9 - 11:00 EDT 9th June 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
Episode 10 - 11:00 EDT 16th June 2012 - Now available on Nick.com
1 hour Finale - 11:00 EDT 23rd June 2012 - Now avail able on Nick.com
Spoilers
There are a large number of people (myself included) who wish to watch the show as as unexposed as possible, we have the following spoiler policy:

Spoilers are considered to be all media which hasn't been aired in an episode. This includes trailers, promotional images and any related media.

How should I present spoiler media?
All spoiler media should only be linked to with a bolded spoiler warning. If the actual URL has spoilers in it, just hide it behind some text. Important: Do not use IMG tags for spoiler pics.

Examples:
1) Here's a spoiler video!
2) Here's a spoiler image!

(In both examples I've not used real spoilers, so click away!)

How should I present text spoilers?
Obviously use the spoiler tags, but be sure to state outside of the spoiler tags, as vaguely as possible, what the spoiler is about.

Examples:
1) Episode 3 spoilers:
Amon can firebend?!?
2) Here's a spoiler from that leaked pic:
Korra and Bolin kiss! LOLz to you shippers!

(Again, in both cases I've not actually used real spoilers!)

Media
Comic Con Trailer
Launch Trailer

Introduction

What is this?

Only the sequel to the best animated series Nickelodeon has ever produced and arguably the best animated show of the past 20 years: Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Really?

Absolutely. But don't just take my word for it, Here's some other people saying "it's good" in fancier words than I can:

BorkBork said:
Avatar is one of my top 5 TV shows of all time. The fact that the show is aimed primarily at kids makes no difference. The whole premise of saving the world may be cliché, but Avatar's execution, in my opinion, is better than other comparable fantasy works such as Harry Potter or Star Wars (I’m going to get flak from the SW Defense Force, but I don’t care). It’s rare that a television series has the ability to live up to the actual vision of the creators and combines drama, comedy, and romance in such a successful way.

SouthernDragon said:
This series is a benchmark other series should strive to touch.

Goddamn it's good to be legitimately amazed by something again!

Snaku said:
My favorite animated series ever. I've watched all three seasons on DVD at least four times each.

Which reminds me, I should probably watch them again.

Anihawk said:
You don't see action scenes like that so often in television. You don't see slapstick done so well (and I was pleasantly surprised that some of it was pretty good). And you certainly don't see it told in a very tight and well-thought-out story, with a huge amount characters that are developed over that time. You can really tell where the influences of Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and FLCL all came in, but it's still very much its own thing. There's nothing quite like Avatar on television, and definitely not like it for kids.

You get the idea.

So how do I watch it now?

Update: Currently, the entire series is available on Nick.com

It's available in it's entirety on Netflix, itunes and Amazon Instant Video (Book 1, Book 2 and Book 3) if you want to catch up. You can also purchase the DVDs online or from your local retailer.

So am I going to need to watch the original show to get anything out of this?

While watching the original show is recommended (seriously, it's great), This story is still largely self-contained and should be completely accessible for anyone jumping in fresh.

Summary

Korra takes place in a world where some people are capable of controlling one of the four elements (Water, Earth, Fire and Air) though the use of various martial arts techniques. These people are called benders. On top of that, there is one person in each generation who can control all four elements. This person is the Avatar.

Taking place long after the events of The Last Airbender, the world is at peace. The medieval styles of Avatar have been replaced with an industrial revolution theme, with a jazzy soundtrack. Benders and non-benders of all nations live in harmony in the recently created Republic City, although there is an organisation in the shadows set to change that...

Korra's Crew
Yeah, it probably wasn't a good idea to claim the OT and be on a blackout for this show...

ib2qemsLlRI5uu.png

Korra is the Avatar and the Main character of the series. She has already know Water, Earth and Firebending and is in the process of Learning Airbending. I could go on, but all you really need to do is look at that picture to see that she is awesome.

ikUJXH4pD1H0g.png

Mako is a Firebender living in Republic city who befriends the Avatar. Just looking at him, he's probably the calm, brooding type that fangirls will drool over.

iQmzXN2kJqEOT.png

Bolin is an Earthbender, Mako's brother and fellow friend of the Avatar. He's most likely the boisterous, comic relief type and based off that alone he's my favourite already.

iuYINZ3nvWxMl.png

Tenzin is the son of the Previous Avatar, Aang, and is teaching Korra Airbending. Wise master with a fun-loving streak, maybe? You probably know more than I do at this point.

Special Thanks

I'd like to thank Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, because without them this wonderful universe wouldn't exist.
I'd also like to thank Nickelodeon for having FANTASTIC online security.
Most of these images were shamelessly stolen from the Avatar Wikia. but not hotlinked, I'm not that lazy.

And then a fancy team action pose to finish the thread!
AGqZH.png

Can't wait. TLA is one of my favorite shows.

I hate how Nick shoehorn's their logo onto every show though. It taints it.

Shouta

Also, that first episode was amazing. I want to go into the future, grab all the episodes and marathon it.

Izick

CONSPIRACY!

r6Vey.gif

2 questions for you all.

Why was the first OT locked, and how have you all seen episode 1 already?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Lots? I thought I caught all of them. I guess I better check again...
Mwah hyperbole. Seems that you've already edited some things out or I'm losing my mind here. After a quick check I spotted three errors regarding commas. Isn't a big deal. It's also available on Netflix etc not in

[/grammar nazi]

well damn a sequel? i STILL didn't get around to watching the very first show yet :(

i heard it's supposed to be good, it kinda LOOKS like it's aimed at a younger audience though looks may deceive of course...

would you recommend the first show to a 30+ year old man? :)

well damn a sequel? i STILL didn't get around to watching the very first show yet :(

i heard it's supposed to be good, it kinda LOOKS like it's aimed at a younger audience though looks may deceive of course...

WATCH IT NOW!

Wiseblade

Yes, absolutely. There's a bunch of quotes from grown men in the OP about how much they love this show for a reason.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
the other episodes were deleted off youtube but a new guy is uploading some as well look up avatar legend of korra episode 1 part 1

Didnt know it was coming so soon or rather that the whole series hadnt aired, hopefully it gets a Blu Ray release.

Firebender is perhaps the coolest one, yet again.

Watched Avatar series at least three times (third season best season, Zuko Aang antics), wonder how the dynamics of the benders will be this time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Damn, if episode 2 isn't releasing until late April, then I'm going to hold off on watching episode 1 until a week before episode 2. :/ ARGH. The wait is already killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom