• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simcity, it's actually a very well made game.

inky

We dont need a billion people complaining at the same place at the same time after you just saw someone complaining then going on twitch and the streams and complain

it annoying stop it. I dont care if you cant wait. I paid money too and im perfectly fine waiting or playing another game. Games are not real life.

Oh gawd.

It is fun. And there is a level of complexity here I didn't expect.

Still, there are a ton of issues with the game. While I love the data layers, the move to a completely visual form of data management means a lot of ambiguity. Local and Regional demand seem to fluctuate at random, without much context. Looking at the data given to me, I'm uncertain on how to remedy problems. This is a major problem with the game design. It doesn't help that advisers and protestors seem to lag behind, giving the player the impression that they need to overcompensate for various issues.

City size is a doubled edge sword. The pro here is that it adds to the difficulty. Unless you've played a few cities before [or you cheated by pouring over min-max guides], your going to have to rebuild portions to make traffic flow better, retool and upgrade your facilities to cope with higher demand and make room for your specialization.

The negative is that it's still too small and really feels like your making a district, not a city. Starting each new suburb feels like going though the motions for the first few hours until you hope it all clicks together. It's not a very satisfying experience as a result.

Even worse now that the early game is forced to run at slow speed. What used to take me 30 minutes is now 1+ hours.

VALIS

Even though it's meant I haven't been able to play my game, I'm glad this whole shitstorm happened, and wouldn't even mind it if it even got a little worse. This fiasco, combined with what happened with Diablo 3, has to give both EA and others pause in using this in the future. You'd think.

To the game itself, yeah, it is pretty good, and is actually as (or more) deep as any other SC when you take on the task of managing multiple cities in your region. You can manage 16 cities at once, and share services, workers, shoppers, etc. between them. That is a level of management that goes beyond anything in the previous games. Sure, I would also like to have the option to make a sprawling big city of 1,000,000 people, but you'd be wrong if you're trying to paint this game as over-simplified kid shit. I certainly don't agree with every design decision the game made, but it's not The Sims, nor is it SimCity Societies 2.

Philia

Okay, see this area here that is filled with the city? That's your area in SimCity 5. PERIOD
37474-simcity-4-windows-screenshot-the-region-screen-where-you-can.jpg

SimCity 4 has so many other areas that you can fill it up with. Like this. On top of awesome Terraforming effects.

KKRT00

I still havent played it [after D3 i'm not buying such stuff at launch], but from what i've seen and learned, its actually the way Simcity should evolve.
Its great base for new SimCity series, because of all micro-simulation stuff and i actually like idea of regions having connected cities.
Just image next one that have Regions that allows for 32 cities that are 3 times larger and those regions are connected with others to create small country/continent/planet and allow for global economy to be simulated and have stock market etc, it would be amazing.
And having micro-simulation and economy allows for sims to craft items with resources they gather/earn and other stuff that affect economy from micro to macro scale.
I really love direction this game could go with those new systems, they just need to get basics right, like city size and interaction and servers.

Xater

If SimCity is anything, it's a prime example why you shouldn't pre-order anything. The days leading up to the release surfaced so much stuff to dislike about the game that I no longer care. I#ll probably just get SimCity 4.

Mindlog

How much smaller are the cities compared to SimCity 4?

edit: I've never played any Simcity game before and was actually thinking about buying this one. Maybe I'll just wait till 4 goes on sale though.
Give Tropico 4 a try. The demo is free and the game is ~$8 on Steam right now. Really fun little island builder.

inky

To the game itself, yeah, it is pretty good, and is actually as (or more) deep as any other SC when you take on the task of managing multiple cities in your region. You can manage 16 cities at once, and share services, workers, shoppers, etc. between them. That is a level of management that goes beyond anything in the previous games.

Ya, and playing a local co-op game by myself with 1 controller in each hand is challenging as well. Does it feel like they actually want you to do that by yourself? From what I have seen it just becomes a point of making specialized cities to feed your main one when there's no one else to play with you, and if there is the frustration comes from him not doing what you need for your city to develop properly.

There certainly not a feeling of a sprawling region all happening at once when you have to be jumping from one city to the next without managing all the systems at the same time. to me that's artificial complexity. The game might be deeper than many people give it credit for, but the size and compartmentalization only works as a disadvantage when playing by yourself.

I've played the game twice since I bought it @ launch, but both times I played for about 3 hours each session. It's a serious time sink, which is a good thing.

always on / server issues are obvious negatives, so i won't bother discussing those.

city size is also an obvious negative because it is too small and the whole "just play as another city too" statement is a bull shit excuse. the cities are too small and when your city grows, it shows. there just isn't enough space in a city to keep your residents as far away from your "dirty" areas like we used to do in SC4. the non seamless borders are also a huge "WTF" for me.

outside of these 3 big issues, the gameplay itself is actually very fun for me even with cheetah mode disabled right now. playing with online neighbors does improve your experience with this iteration of simcity. i loved being able to start a city in an established region and being able to buy water/power/sewage directly from neighbors and the best part of it is that you don't have to constantly up your demand for those services. it's done automatically which is great. you can lend your cops/fire/trash/recycling trucks to other cities and you can even share health/education over the region which is a HUGE plus IMO.

education is handled much better as well. i hated the way it was in sc4. you had to plop down schools every other block and you couldn't upgrade your schools. it was terrible. i've only used the elementary + high school in my city, but it was a very smooth experience. I had just 1 grade school + 1 high school in a city with about 60K residents. The best part was being able to use school bus stops to manage education coverage instead of having to have a school right next to a group of houses to cover them as done in SC4. not enough capacity? upgrade and add more... need more school buses? upgrade and add more. it's awesome!

I was building an oil tycoon town and i love the city specializations menu and the whole upgrading buildings thing. its very well done.

i would go on and on, but i'm at work... so..

the game itself is very good IMO... BUT there are obvious flaws with the servers, city size and being forced to play with others to get the full experience, but the gameplay itself is solid.

if i were to rate it, it'd give it a 8/10 for the gameplay.

can't wait to play more... i hope the servers aren't fucked still when i get home

Eusis

It is a pretty good game. The launch is a pathetic clusterfuck that I feel ashamed to have taken part in, but eventually things will be smoothed over and it'll likely be a game I play for a long time. This situation won't soon be forgotten, but the game is salvageable.
Yeah, it's in a sense very easy to salvage: get more, higher quality servers up and running this game, keep all features on, and I'm sure it'd be undoubtedly a pretty good game even if there's some disappointments relative to prior SimCity titles. Not like it's broken at a fundamental programming level far as I can tell.
How's he able to play it?
This is probably the most legitimate reason to think he really is something other than a blind fanboy, haha.

milsorgen

Banned
From a rpg/upgrade system to connection with friends in your region. The awesome animations

Sounds like everything I don't want in a SimCity. Not to be overly negative but to be dead honest.

Yeah, it's in a sense very easy to salvage: get more, higher quality servers up and running this game, keep all features on, and I'm sure it'd be undoubtedly a pretty good game even if there's some disappointments relative to prior SimCity titles. Not like it's broken at a fundamental programming level far as I can tell.

I've heard a few things along those lines (numbers just clearly not adding up, certain pathing being fucked) but this stuff has overshadowed all that, and anyone who wants to really test it and try those out obviously have a hard time getting into the game to see.

Small city sizes destroyed any interest I had in this game. Its actually made me more interested in trying out SimCity 4

Completely agree. We can't just say "server trouble aside the game is great." The mere fact the game requires server connection is the very reason why the maps are so small to begin with. The map is friggin 2km square for crying out loud. People were filling it in the 1 hour beta alone. The lack of terraforming is also heartbreaking.

The arbitrary borders around the little cities with perfectly good, buildable land RIGHT THERE is just so stupid and awkward.

Philia

No just support good games.

Fundamentally, SimCity has always been a 'software toy'. That means that there's no real end state, no way to win. It's just a thing that you play and experiment with. You build, and tinker, and mess around. It's a toy, not a game; it's a sandbox, not baseball.

So, in this iteration of the game, you don't even get to buy your toy. Rather, you rent a toy from EA, who lets you play with it only in very limited, circumscribed ways, only on their servers. So you have to have a live Internet connection at all times, and their servers have to be up, and have to have space for you. And the rules for play are draconian. If you want to, say, build a city, save it, blow it up with something terrible, and then restore from save, you can't do that anymore. That's an unauthorized usage of their toy. And if you figure out ways of using their toy that they don't like, they'll ban you forever.

All third-party modding is shut out. One of the best parts of SimCity 4 and The Sims is that users can create and share content among themselves for free. You will no longer be able to do this. You will be required to run only Official Authorized Content.

Further, you're not getting the whole game for your $60 or $80, depending on what version you're buying. EA's plan is to sell you Simcity 5 over and over and over. They've directly admitted that they already have it running with larger cities, but they're not releasing that now. They claim it's because it "won't run on Dad's PC", but the real reason is so they can sell it to you again later. Want subways? That's gonna be $20. Want railroads? Another $20. Bigger cities? Oh, that's in the $30 expansion.

Right now, if you look at The Sims 3, the game costs $30. But if also you buy all the DLC for it, it's *four hundred and seventy dollars*. This is what they are doing with SimCity 5; locking you into their server infrastructure, and then exploiting the heck out of your wallet.

This is a lousy deal, and you would be stupid to take it. Always-on DRM, and a deliberately crippled game, so that they can slowly uncripple it, charging you for every restored feature from prior versions.

Simcity 4 still works pretty well. It's not quite as nice as most current games, and can require you to 'pin' the process to just one processor on a multi-core system (ie, most current machines), but if you want a city builder where you won't have to pay extra to breathe both in AND out, that would be a better option.

But buying this game? In my opinion, you would be wiser to take three twenties out of your wallet, and light them on fire.

What do you say to this review?

I actually really liked what I played in the Beta but what would keep me from ever buying SimCity beyond being terribly broken right now, is that 1.) the cities are too damn small, 2.) No terraforming.

If they made the cities much bigger and added in terraforming (maybe with subways and more mass transit options) then I'd likely get it.

The mere fact the game requires server connection is the very reason why the maps are so small to begin with. The map is friggin 2km square for crying out loud. People were filling it in the 1 hour beta alone. The lack of terraforming is also heartbreaking.

I don't think that's right. The reason for the small city size is because of the overly complex simulation system going on in the game. Still, the tiny city size is a crippling flaw in the game. It's a bigger problem than the always online thing IMO.

Philia

I actually really liked what I played in the Beta but what would keep me from ever buying SimCity beyond being terribly broken right now, is that 1.) the cities are too damn small, 2.) No terraforming.

If they made the cities much bigger and added in terraforming (maybe with subways and more mass transit options) then I'd likely get it.

Even if the expansion packs each will be 20 dollars?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
What if Sim City was the most meta game ever and actually launching it is the first disaster your city has to overcome?

Top Bottom