• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

szaromir said:
I would prefer if I could buy Valve games on GG or GOG or whenever. I would prefer if no PC games had any sort of DRM, aka no securom, no steamworks, no uplay etc. But it's impossible and I need to decide in every individual case if the contract that publishers offer me is a suitable option for me. The world isn't ideal, everybody is defending their interests and I'm not going to blindly stand by any side.

I will blindly stand with the side that defends my interests better. I would be damn surprised, considering the prices on my country EA store, that Origin will be it. But as it's been said there's always retail...

Blizzard said:
Or, it's GOING to be only on Origin, but D2D and GG are slower to react to EA's directive to pull the game from the store.

Thats a possibility as well. My point is there is no point in jumping to conclusions that this is some evil attack on Steam by using that page as evidence until there is factual and actual reason to do so. People enjoy piling on EA (as do I) but this is one instance when I'm choosing to wait.

szaromir

Banned
cicero said:
The point I was responding to was your assertion that "the publishers might have an active interest to teach the consumers to look for games in other places so that they're not too reliable on one store in case anything bad happen." The idea that this is part of some lesson is silly.
But it's really not. Replace it with get used to or whatever instead of teach. The point is publishers don't want to be reliant on Valve, they want you to buy their stuff in various place, so that Valve won't dictate them conditions.

I will blindly stand with the side that defends my interests better.
Valve definitely does not defend my interest, so I won't stand by their side.

coopolon

venne said:
I think they'll ultimately make more money. EA has to sell 43% more games on Steam to generate the same amount of revenue that it does by selling them itself.

Assume EA intends to make $350 of revenue from a $50 title. On the EA store it would need to sell seven copies. On Steam, it would need to sell ten. Get that into the hundreds of thousands or millions of copies and you are looking at an incredible incentive to do it yourself.

This assumes it's free to run Origin. Of course it's not, but unfortunately none of us have any idea how expensive it is. And of course that cost is distributed over all the games they sell, so hopefully it would still end up being marginal but I don't know.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ashes1396 said:
If they are taking a stab at steam, then good on them, bad on steam lovers though, which is like 90% of the market. <<< Which is why I don't believe BF3 will be Origin exclusive. Their biggest ip of the year will reach 90% of the pc download space. Lesser titles, or older titles maybe not so much.

For all we know, EA could take the risky route and actually make people jump into their service. If it works they'll have 100% on the sales, and will have taken part of Steam's market-share. I hope they don't do that, since I'm worried with what the future of the service could be.

Wallach

I don't actually care that much that EA is trying to leverage their exclusives to boost their DD service. Valve does this heavily, and they basically forced it on people via HL2.

Corto

szaromir said:
Valve definitely does not defend my interest, so I won't stand by their side.

Sorry, I edit my post with an addendum. EA online store has absurd pricing on my country. I'm expecting to buy EA games through retail from UK (prices tend to crash a few weeks post release) and then downloading the DD version through Origin in the foreseeable future.

Blizzard

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
How come I can't buy Portal1+2, L4D1+2, Team Fortress 2 or the Half-Life games on any other DD service? Damn, Valve is super evil and greedy! Fuck them!
Those games have never been on other DD services. Crysis 2 has. Valve has established what is almost objectively the best DD store/community/DRM combination in the digital gaming industry. EA hasn't. Maybe they will, but I am suspicious of how well EA will treat consumers, given things such as the Origin terms of service or whatever that says your Entitlements WILL expire after 24 months of account inactivity, and their previous history of expiring downloads/download insurance even if it wasn't enforced. There may be other differences but those are at least two. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

cicero

venne said:
It would be hypocritical for me to complain about EA keeping its games to itself when I don't complain about Valve doing the exact same thing.
Except that Valve's service was at the very forefront of DD and their service sells their own titles as well as the titles of just about any other publisher/developer. EA isn't choosing to create a new service to rival Valve's Steam, they aren't making a huge gamble on sidestepping the publisher to self-publish in response to their publisher cheating them out of sales. EA *IS* the publisher and is trying to undercut the most popular DD service to, imo, eventually push their own service as the sole place to buy new EA titles.

szaromir

Banned
Corto said:
Sorry, I edit my post with an addendum. EA online store has absurd pricing on my country. I'm expecting to buy EA games through retail and then downloading the DD version through Origin in the foreseeable future.
Steam has absurd pricing for me as well. A newly released PC game at retail costs €25-€30, Steam wants barbarian €50. So yeah, I only occasionally buy games on Steam when they're heavily discounted (I have like 40 of them), otherwise retail is still a no-brainer. I see some sweet deals on EA Store, too, but never bought anything yet.

edit: Dead Space 2 is 25% on Origin than on Steam.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MikeE21286 said:
Hey, maybe some competition for Steam is good?

Silver lining?

....anyone...?
Competition would be EA offering better features and deals in order to convince people that they should use Origin over Steam. Then Steam would have to up their game, so Origin would reciprocate, etc. That's what people mean when they say "competition is good"
This doesn't really do anything positive for the consumer.

cicero

szaromir said:
I would prefer if I could buy Valve games on GG or GOG or whenever. I would prefer if no PC games had any sort of DRM, aka no securom, no steamworks, no uplay etc. But it's impossible and I need to decide in every individual case if the contract that publishers offer me is a suitable option for me. The world isn't ideal, everybody is defending their interests and I'm not going to blindly stand by any side.
Standing by Steam based on legitimate reasons is not standing blindly. There is more value for me as the consumer sticking by the best DD service with the best client, best sales, and a fairly decent history of reliability when it comes to longevity, service, and general goodwill towards the customer.

venne

cicero said:
Except that Valve's service was at the very forefront of DD and their service sells their own titles as well as the titles of just about any other publisher/developer. EA isn't choosing to create a new service to rival Valve's Steam, they aren't making a huge gamble on sidestepping the publisher to self-publish in response to their publisher cheating them out of sales. EA *IS* the publisher and is trying to undercut the most popular DD service to, imo, eventually push their own service as the sole place to buy new EA titles.

I don't live in the was, I live in the now.

If this entices EA to bring more games to the PC, then I'm all for it.

szaromir

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Competition would be EA offering better features and deals in order to convince people that they should use Origin over Steam. Then Steam would have to up their game, so Origin would reciprocate, etc. That's what people mean when they say "competition is good"
Competition would be if I could buy Portal 2 on D2D or GG.

Standing by Steam based on legitimate reasons is not standing blindly. There is more value for me as the consumer sticking by the best DD service with the best client, best sales, and a fairly decent history of reliability when it comes to longevity, service, and general goodwill towards the customer.
Games are ovepriced on Steam. I don't care about anything other than that.

stuminus3

So the rampant anti-consumerism of the video games industry continues.

And these companies wonder why Valve is fucking them in their ear holes.

coopolon

Wallach said:
and they basically forced it on people via HL2.

And boy did people not want it (and rightly so). It was pretty damn bad for awhile after HL2 release. Origin is perfection compared to the buggy POS Steam was at the beginning. Unfortunately for EA, Steam is now a pretty fantastic service and that is who they're up against now, not the garbage Steam used to be.

The Technomancer said:

Well, EA sets the prices on both stores. And they have actually been offering much more frequent, earlier, and significant sales on their games on Origin compared to what they offer on Steam. And I think being able to play games without a client is a fantastic feature.

LovingSteam said:
Because D2D, GG, Amazon, Impulse isnt competition.

Not really actually.

Another fully fledged client like Steam is key IMO.

amazon maybe, but just because they are Amazon. They seem barely serious about it and might only offer it since they seem to sell basically everything

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
szaromir said:
Competition would be if I could buy Portal 2 on D2D or GG.
Oh yeah, unlike some here I'm not saying that this is an egregious move on EAs part (though doing this with Crysis 2 might be stupid). Much like Battle.net, I expect EA to make big games like TOR and Battlefield 3 Origin exclusive from now on. I'm not exactly thrilled about it, but its not horrible. I'll probably get angrier about it when a game I really want is Orign exclusive, forcing me to put my credit card info on yet another site.

But it also isn't "positive competition"

Acosta

cicero said:

The concept is too complicated for him, don't even bother. We are "sheeps" for him.

The_Technomancer said:

Who says they won't do this. Long shot I know,but not an impossible proposition.

coopolon

WanderingWind said:
This is so astoundingly absurd that I have trouble imagining you have ever used Steam, or even heard of it before 10 seconds ago.

Actually, the majority of games are either equivalent or overpriced on Steam compared to retail. Steam just has fantastic sales, but the other 99% of the time Steam is the worst place to buy a game.

cicero

szaromir said:
But it's really not. Replace it with get used to or whatever instead of teach. The point is publishers don't want to be reliant on Valve, they want you to buy their stuff in various place, so that Valve won't dictate them conditions.
Your assertion is still unfounded and still seems far-fetched.

venne said:
I don't live in the was, I live in the now.

If this entices EA to bring more games to the PC, then I'm all for it.

Blizzard said:
Those games have never been on other DD services. Crysis 2 has. Valve has established what is almost objectively the best DD store/community/DRM combination in the digital gaming industry. EA hasn't. Maybe they will, but I am suspicious of how well EA will treat consumers, given things such as the Origin terms of service or whatever that says your Entitlements WILL expire after 24 months of account inactivity, and their previous history of expiring downloads/download insurance even if it wasn't enforced. There may be other differences but those are at least two. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Exactly.

szaromir

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Oh yeah, unlike some here I'm not saying that this is an egregious move on EAs part (though doing this with Crysis 2 might be stupid). Much like Battle.net, I expect EA to make big games like TOR and Battlefield 3 Origin exclusive from now on. I'm not exactly thrilled about it, but its not horrible. I'll probably get angrier about it when a game I really want is Orign exclusive, forcing me to put my credit card info on yet another site.

But it also isn't "positive competition"
I agree, but the purchase process logic seems reversed on GAF.
For me it goes like "is the game good? -> is the price good? -> is the DRM acceptable? -> where can I buy it?". Whereas in some cases it appears to be the opposite. The game being on Steam being the total absolute priority which is absurd.

szaromir

Banned
WanderingWind said:
This is so astoundingly absurd that I have trouble imagining you have ever used Steam, or even heard of it before 10 seconds ago.
I have the same username on GAF and Steam.

Blizzard said:

Not really sure what you want me to say. Origin is not Steam? I'm not advocating Origin or promoting it over Steam. I also don't see why it matters if EA has sold games on Steam or other services, they probably sell them at stores as well. It's not relevant in the least. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of Steam fans. The worship is a little ridiculous at times.

Wallach

coopolon said:
And boy did people not want it (and rightly so). It was pretty damn bad for awhile after HL2 release. Origin is perfection compared to the buggy POS Steam was at the beginning. Unfortunately for EA, Steam is now a pretty fantastic service and that is who they're up against now, not the garbage Steam used to be.

Man, it was basically like HL2 shipped with an STD in the box. People went nuclear.

Part of the reason I don't care is that it will really force EA to figure out how to make their service not suck on the quick. DD services have come a long way so I think the time frame EA has to figure this out successfully has become dramatically smaller.

WanderingWind said:

Welcome to Steam in other parts of the world.

Corto

szaromir said:
Steam has absurd pricing for me as well. A newly released PC game at retail costs €25-€30, Steam wants barbarian €50. So yeah, I only occasionally buy games on Steam when they're heavily discounted (I have like 40 of them), otherwise retail is still a no-brainer. I see some sweet deals on EA Store, too, but never bought anything yet.

edit: Dead Space 2 is 25% on Origin than on Steam.

Just like me. I buy games on Steam on seasonal sales... Oh and with International gifting, a feature that I really doubt Origin will support. And that Dead Space 2 price was possible without selective exclusivity. I can't argue with that. Give me more of those EA.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
coopolon said:
Actually, the majority of games are either equivalent or overpriced on Steam compared to retail. Steam just has fantastic sales, but the other 99% of the time Steam is the worst place to buy a game.

Actually, no they are not. PC games at retail, unless undergoing their own sale price, are listed at MSRP. The same price Steam, GG, GoG and every other DD service sets their base price. Each distributor then creates a sale price. And Steam, as is known by anybody who is even passingly familiar with it, creates absolutely ridiculous sales on a frequent basis. Summer sales, midweek sales, weekend sales, holiday sales, etc.

EDIT: Okay, NA market. My bad.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sflufan said:
Once again, the main point of contention (at least for me) is NOT that EA pulled Crysis 2 from Steam at all. This would be a non-issue if it were pulled from Steam and made an Origin exclusive -- no one should have any arguments about that as it is exactly what Valve does with its own titles. The main point of contention (for most people I hope) is that the game is available for all other DD outlets EXCEPT for Steam.

You clearly have an emotional attachment to steam. This undermines your observations.

/idiotmode

mavs

I'd rather buy their games on steam, but if Origins means I can buy an EA title anywhere, even on a disc, and get DD service for it then I am still happier now than before they announced this new service.

Jin34

MikeE21286 said:
Who says they won't do this. Long shot I know,but not an impossible proposition.

They can't even place me in the proper region pricing games to me in Euros instead of Dollars and you expect me to have an ounce of faith in their service rivaling steam?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
szaromir said:
That's all cool, but Steam's monopoly has the following drawbacks:
a) what if Valve refuses to release the game on Steam (rarely happens to bigger publishers but all the time to indie devs)? They're screwed and it's not
b) what if Newell&Co. decide to sell Valve to some company with different principles? A lot of consumers and publishers might get screwed in the process.
c) Valve is not afraid to sell their games on Steam only, I don't see why other publishers should not be doing the same if they wish so

Ultimately diversification works for everybody, refusing to buy games outside of Steam seems very shortsighted to me.
Steam doesnt have a monopoly and if they do, its almost entirely because people like the service and trust Valve. Valve had to work to get to where they are and they did it in a ridiculously pro consumer fashion. Sorry if I dont have faith in EA.

cicero

szaromir said:
I agree, but the purchase process logic seems reversed on GAF.
For me it goes like "is the game good? -> is the price good? -> is the DRM acceptable? -> where can I buy it?". Whereas in some cases it appears to be the opposite. The game being on Steam being the total absolute priority which is absurd.
So the simple fact that people like using the one largest most reliable service with the best sales and the best client as their sole service/client to deal with instead of having several services/clients to have to deal with to manage a library that might span hundreds of titles? That is absurd? I have a hard time understanding why the factor of simple ease of use with the best client around has failed to even be acknowledged by you to begin with.

Let's see... is it on GoG? No. Is it on Steam? No.
Does retail bargain bin version require Origin activation? If yes, then I will NEVER buy EA games again.

Read the Origin TOS, read all the other TOS's for the other dd's.

People who cite some crazy Steam lover's fanboism as a negative are warranted, but the other negatives are just plain stupid.

aeolist

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
Wow so valve fanboys are as bad as anyone else
Valve has fanboys because they have fucking earned it. They make the best games and have the best download service with the best prices and the best features.

Why am I supposed to dislike them exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom